Will U.S. Passengers Comply with the Covid Requirements On Board?

Smokeyham

6 hours ago, babs135 said:

And here's an example of an idiot, except it was Pringles, not peanuts.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/travel/travel-news/man-avoids-wearing-face-mask-22622495

The sad thing about this article is how pleased the violator is with himself, believing he "beat the system" but not thinking (or caring) about the risk he put others to.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Smokeyham said:

The sad thing about this article is how pleased the violator is with himself, believing he "beat the system" but not thinking (or caring) about the risk he put others to.

And such is the way of the world right now...like I suggested earlier, you can only take responsibility for your self preservation, not for other's stupidity.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Smokeyham said:

Not to mention the referenced related article:  "Woman punches flight attendant after refusing to wear face mask correctly"!!

34 minutes ago, jtwind said:

I just got back from 2 grocery stores with clearly posted mask policies.  Both were relatively empty.  Still, it didn't take long to see someone without a mask.  They were everywhere.  Lots of others were wearing chin diapers.  What makes people think that a cruise would be any different?

I recently went into a grocery store (and they are required here by state law to have everyone over 2 years old wear a mask), and realized I had left mine in the car and was not wearing it. I immediately left to get it, and on the way out said to the person coming in passing me that I was getting my mask that I had accidentally left in the car. And I noticed he was wearing a mask, but it did not cover his nose or mouth. Unless he was a "chin breather", I'm not sure what it accomplished.

3 hours ago, sanger727 said:

For what exactly? Caught wearing a mask that slipped down over the persons nose and they didn't adjust it up quite fast enough? Caught pulling the mask down to take a sip of water and didn't pull it back up quite fast enough? Caught walking around the ship with the mask pulled down while they sip a cocktail? I don't think many if any people will be bold enough to wear NO mask. I do think that improper mask wearing will be prevalent. And that is such a grey area it's incredibly difficult to enforce with something as drastic as evicting the passenger mid cruise. Plus, not sure that will be an option. If the next port is one that would require a current covid test and/or quarantining upon arrival at an airport- they may not take kindly to a cruise line trying to dump a non-compliant passenger on them.

And then there will be these arguments, and it will be unpleasant.

54 minutes ago, jtwind said:

I just got back from 2 grocery stores with clearly posted mask policies.  Both were relatively empty.  Still, it didn't take long to see someone without a mask.  They were everywhere.  Lots of others were wearing chin diapers.  What makes people think that a cruise would be any different?

I'll assume that cruise lines have  much more at risk  https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5678/

• Like 1

Just now, jtwind said:

That's shore excursions.  This thread is about regulations while on board.  There have been reports of people not complying with on board regulations, but no reports of any actions taken.

you do get the gist of it ... right. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sanger727 said:

For what exactly? Caught wearing a mask that slipped down over the persons nose and they didn't adjust it up quite fast enough? Caught pulling the mask down to take a sip of water and didn't pull it back up quite fast enough? Caught walking around the ship with the mask pulled down while they sip a cocktail? I don't think many if any people will be bold enough to wear NO mask. I do think that improper mask wearing will be prevalent. And that is such a grey area it's incredibly difficult to enforce with something as drastic as evicting the passenger mid cruise. Plus, not sure that will be an option. If the next port is one that would require a current covid test and/or quarantining upon arrival at an airport- they may not take kindly to a cruise line trying to dump a non-compliant passenger on them.

These “variables” are likely to result in cruising to be largely put off (either (a) by the lines themselves, or (b) government authorities, or (c) by individual travelers who aren’t interested in exposing themselves to the irresponsibility of others)  until effective, widely-distributed vaccine is developed.   

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, c-boy said:

you do get the gist of it ... right. 

I hear ya.  But I agree with what was said in the 1st paragraph of post #11, where they point out that there may be big differences in the ways officers, security, and crew handle situations.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

Are you saying you're lining up excuses to not wear your mask? That's what you sound like.

Not even a little bit. I think my post was a bit misunderstood. I wear my mask and I wear it properly. If I chose a vacation option that required a mask of course I would wear it. I am also aware of what is happening in the world right now. Every time I go to the grocery I see at least one cashier with their nose uncovered. I see this regularly from restaurant employees too. It's disappointing, and makes me less willing to go out. But between this and all the articles in the news like that pringles flight. And I saw another one where a mom was made she and her son got tossed from a flight because he wouldn't wear a mask and was the slowest snack eater ever. And I saw that at disney world that they had to make a rule that if you were eating or drinking you had to sit down because too many people were wearing their masks off holding a drink saying they couldn't wear it because of that. I am pre-emptively realizing the if the cruise lines promise to hold people accountable, they will be false promises. Because that is what people will say. MSC is already showing that they will not enforce the mask wearing. I don't think any of them will. Because all people have to do is come up with a flimsy excuse and I don't think anyone is getting kicked off for that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, paul929207 said:

After the first passenger is put ashore.

4 hours ago, Philob said:

Some US airlines already require a signed statement and check off when booking acknowledging the mask requirement.

Yet when the the plane is taxing to the runway someone feels it's now okay to take off the mask, "they can't kick me out now."

Usually the plane returns to the gate to have the pax taken off. 

These posts remind me of what is necessary when raising children.  My kids loved to test boundaries when they were young and it was only through negative consequences that lessons were sometimes learned.

Is it any wonder in today's coddled culture that people have a hard time following rules?

The answer is strong, rapid enforcement.  Eventually the word gets out regarding a "zero tolerance" policy and the problem disappears. 

Edited by SelectSys

This may sound stupid but it is a serious question and I really want to know.

In places where it's mandatory to wear a mask except for when eating and drinking how "active" must the drinking/eating be to be considered okay? I understand that holding a glass for hours isn't okay. Most of the time I spend in a lounge on a cruiseship is with a drink. I don't plan to cruise if masks are mandatory but if I shall do it, do I need to put on/take off the mask between every sip or how does it work in your bars and restaurants? They don't recommend masks here and almost noone use one so I don't know how it works when it's mandatory. 

8 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

In places where it's mandatory to wear a mask except for when eating and drinking how "active" must the drinking/eating be to be considered okay? I understand that holding a glass for hours isn't okay. Most of the time I spend in a lounge on a cruiseship is with a drink. I don't plan to cruise if masks are mandatory but if I shall do it, do I need to put on/take off the mask between every sip or how does it work in your bars and restaurants? They don't recommend masks here and almost noone use one so I don't know how it works when it's mandatory. 

Where I live, in bars and restaurants, if you are at your table and have food or drink in front of you, no mask. If you are waiting to order or walking through the restaurant to use the bathroom or leave, you wear your mask.

Where I am at, you must remain masked at all times unless you are actively putting food/drink in mouth. You must remask even while chewing.

Bars without food are not yet allowed to open; bars with food must be consumed outside.  Restaurants can go back indoors at 50% capacity in November. Masks required as above.

While Disneyland is not allowed to open, sports stadiums in certain areas can.

Edited by Philob
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

Yours is a great example of the challenges with compliance.

I haven't eaten or dined out anywhere since the pandemic began.  I can tell you though that several weeks ago I have the unfortunate experience of being in an ER.  There was a guy there waiting who lowered his mask to eat a pastry and drink his coffee and he kept it lowered while eating.  The ER nursed immediately approached him and advised him that he is only to lower his mask to take a bite or a sip and must then raise it and cover his most and nose to chew and swallow.

The takeaway for me is that regardless of the reason why, every time that you lower that mask you are putting yourself and others at risk.

45 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Where I live, in bars and restaurants, if you are at your table and have food or drink in front of you, no mask. If you are waiting to order or walking through the restaurant to use the bathroom or leave, you wear your mask.

Thank you.

That doesn't sound too bad. So on a cruiseship with the same rules I could sit there with a drink and without a mask.

22 minutes ago, Philob said:

Zoos are also allowed to be open.  Disneyland won't open for the foreseeable future based on the Governor's current guidelines.  Even if Orange County can reach the "yellow tier" of 1 case/day for 100,000 population and 2% positivity rate, the park will be restricted to no more than 25% capacity. 

It seems a war between CA's  governor and what was once one of his largest corporate donors - directly and via staff - could be brewing.

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/10/21/disneyland-universal-studios-knotts-and-more-considering-legal-action-over-californias-unachievable-reopening-guidelines/

1 hour ago, Philob said:

Where I am at, you must remain masked at all times unless you are actively putting food/drink in mouth. You must remask even while chewing.

Bars without food are not yet allowed to open; bars with food must be consumed outside.  Restaurants can go back indoors at 50% capacity in November. Masks required as above.

Thank you.

That sounds much worse! I should not enjoy that experience! Isn't touching and moving the mask all the time a bad thing?

1 hour ago, cbr663 said:

Yours is a great example of the challenges with compliance.

I haven't eaten or dined out anywhere since the pandemic began.  I can tell you though that several weeks ago I have the unfortunate experience of being in an ER.  There was a guy there waiting who lowered his mask to eat a pastry and drink his coffee and he kept it lowered while eating.  The ER nursed immediately approached him and advised him that he is only to lower his mask to take a bite or a sip and must then raise it and cover his most and nose to chew and swallow.

The takeaway for me is that regardless of the reason why, every time that you lower that mask you are putting yourself and others at risk.

Thank you.

I haven't dined out a lot since the pandemic began but when I have done it I haven't seen anyone, staff or guests, wearing a mask. I have seen a few in the grocery store but not many and most times I go there I don't see anyone wear a mask.

Masks are not required or even recommended anywhere here so almost noone wear one. 

This may sound off topic but I don't think that it is. How good people will follow the rules may depend on how strict the rules are. I will defenitely follow every possible rule but if the rule is that masks shall be used I will rather stay at home.

2 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

Thank you.

That sounds much worse! I should not enjoy that experience! Isn't touching and moving the mask all the time a bad thing?

Mask wearing (around here) is more for protecting others than for yourself. If you are asymptomatic (no symptoms) and unknowingly positive the masks keep most of your talking "spray" in your mask. 

Say 80% of your spray is trapped by your mask and 20% gets out, hopefully the escaped particles will disperse enough that only a very small % actually reaches someone else's mask and whatever gets there doesn't have the viral load to do anything. The rest is personal hygiene and keeping your hands away from your face.

SWMBO (wife) works for a large medical facility and at the beginning of all this she would give us 🤬 H#LL if we touch the outside of our masks or if it touches anything.  

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

Thank you.

That doesn't sound too bad. So on a cruiseship with the same rules I could sit there with a drink and without a mask.

It is not bad. It’s manageable. If I lived where some of the other posters lived and had to pull it down for every bite, I don’t think I would go out to eat. That just sounds crazy to me. Buuuut. It is clearly obvious where I live that mask wearing is waning and our state is also skyrocketing in case. So we may not be a good example.

• Like 1