Nothing until March?

bouhunter

18 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Thanks for your personal wishes but I am not that optimistic .The best treatment that I have is FaceTime with my grand kids.We are planning to do three hours tonight because people I am having skin cancer surgery tomorrow morning .

Good luck with your surgery.I have been through it a few times and 2 years ago decided to have deep laser surgery to get rid of any precancerous lesions on my face. Now I only have to worry about the rest of my body!

1 hour ago, ownedbypets said:

We go out to eat every weekend. Every restaurant has been filled to their limit for the past few months with some have long wait times. A mask is only needed when walking through the restaurant. Our daughter is a nurse, in Chicago, working with Covid patients and has been told to stay in a bubble. Her and her co workers have taken every advantage to dine out since things have reopened but now have started scrambling to get reservations before the city closes down on Friday.

Yeah, things are not going well up here. We're in the southwest suburbs and they put the restrictions in my county yesterday (although there are a lot of restaurants/bars nearby that are ignoring our governors rules and staying open...I can't blame them, I just don't go) A huge thank you to your daughter-not an easy job even when there isn't a pandemic going on. What's her take on the recent surges? Is her hospital filling up? I don't know what to believe anymore as far as the news goes and while both my mom and my sister are nurses out here, thankfully neither are working directly with Covid cases so they only know the very basic counts of their particular hospitals.

I really do think we're in for a very long winter. Like a PP mentioned-those in warmer states can do way more outdoors then we can. I was only 38 degrees this morning while I was walking our dogs...it's only October!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, KG1924 said:

Yeah, things are not going well up here. We're in the southwest suburbs and they put the restrictions in my county yesterday (although there are a lot of restaurants/bars nearby that are ignoring our governors rules and staying open...I can't blame them, I just don't go) A huge thank you to your daughter-not an easy job even when there isn't a pandemic going on. What's her take on the recent surges? Is her hospital filling up? I don't know what to believe anymore as far as the news goes and while both my mom and my sister are nurses out here, thankfully neither are working directly with Covid cases so they only know the very basic counts of their particular hospitals.

I really do think we're in for a very long winter. Like a PP mentioned-those in warmer states can do way more outdoors then we can. I was only 38 degrees this morning while I was walking our dogs...it's only October!

Thanks to your mom and sister too. My daughter is young (26) so her and her friends volunteered to work covid. They were put back to their regular floors when the numbers went down and while the numbers are rising they aren't considering it a surge. She says she has seen much more death where she normally works, Oncology, than with Covid.

I would love to say that we can do things outside but the feel like temp yesterday was 97. 

Edited by ownedbypets
add

If this quote from this morning's earnings call is correct looks like a spring return to service

10:35 ET - Royal Caribbean is planning for a gradual return to service in 1H, Finance Chief Jason Liberty says. "The ramp up will not be a light switch," Liberty says on a conference call. The company has paused sailings through the end of November, a month past the CDC's expiration of its cruising ban this Saturday. Spring cruises will be focused on short sailings from key dry markets in the US and Asia-Pacific regions, Liberty says. The company will make the most out of its private island in the Bahamas, he adds. "Bookings for the spring season have remained below pre-COVID-19 levels, which is consistent with our staggered return to service approach and lower planned occupancy expectations," Liberty says. 

Edited by molly361
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, molly361 said:

If this quote from this morning's earnings call is correct looks like a spring return to service

10:35 ET - Royal Caribbean is planning for a gradual return to service in 1H, Finance Chief Jason Liberty says. "The ramp up will not be a light switch," Liberty says on a conference call. The company has paused sailings through the end of November, a month past the CDC's expiration of its cruising ban this Saturday. Spring cruises will be focused on short sailings from key dry markets in the US and Asia-Pacific regions, Liberty says. The company will make the most out of its private island in the Bahamas, he adds. "Bookings for the spring season have remained below pre-COVID-19 levels, which is consistent with our staggered return to service approach and lower planned occupancy expectations," Liberty says. 

A lot depends on the definition of short sailings. On another thread ourusualbeach said under 10 days. Yes I hope my april cruise goes. I dont care where. One port enough.

On another note, out of Galveston I'd love coco cay change. Usually coupled with key west and Nassau. Anyone have any ideas about how key west will vote next Tuesday about allowing cruise ships to dock?

Edited by firefly333

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

I think 'dry' market is meant to be 'drive to'

2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

And I'm going with what you had said a while back.  That they will cancel sailings and re-sell new ones like they are doing in Asia.  And I don't think short sailings means  7 days

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I was wondering about that as well.  I couldn't figure out what a "dry" market meant for a cruise line.  There are wet markets and dry markets but in the context of goods sold.  At least they didn't write "wet" market..that would not have been very PC.

33 minutes ago, molly361 said:

And I'm going with what you had said a while back.  That they will cancel sailings and re-sell new ones like they are doing in Asia.  And I don't think short sailings means  7 days

Our awesome TA disagrees with our resell strategy. 😉

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I know  I did to at first .  If they don't do that it will be for those already booked on NV or MA IMHO

Edited by molly361
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I saw a group of 4 guys wearing Dodgers tee shirts.While they could be brothers it is not that likely because one was Caucasian ,one black,and 2 Asian. They were seated next to each other.

Though you never know. I'm oldest of 10 a White German/Irish, have a sister that is Black and another that's Native American/Hispanic. My kids have 37 cousins and many have siblings that are also many colors of the Rainbow. Also in a Bubble can also include Team Mates or College Room Mates...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

19 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I know  I did to at first .  If they don't do that it will be for those already booked on NV or MA IMHO

I still think that the short sailings won’t last for very long...a month or two and then they will start gradually adding 7 day sailings.  They have enough ships that are already doing short sailings that they just utilize those.  It’s not as if they need or want to have 10 shops all sailing sort sailings.  They start off slow then add to it.  Asia was a whole different ballgame with only one ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I still think that the short sailings won’t last for very long...a month or two and then they will start gradually adding 7 day sailings.  They have enough ships that are already doing short sailings that they just utilize those.  It’s not as if they need or want to have 10 shops all sailing sort sailings.  They start off slow then add to it.  Asia was a whole different ballgame with only one ship.

Understood,  but I really thought theyd open with some 3 day trips on Oasis, Symphony,  and Harmony.

On 10/27/2020 at 12:08 PM, livingonthebeach said:

How about the Super Bowl in Tampa on Feb 7, 2021?  Who wants to pay $6,000 to get Covid-19? 

I would take my chances there  over being on a cruise ship. Last I read they were talking about allowing about 20,000 fans in, which is less than 1/3 of capacity of around 65,000. A Solstice ship holds around 2,900 and they are talking about letting about

sailing at 50% to 60% capacity.

At the Super Bowl, you probably would spend about four hours there. With social distancing, masks and all the fresh air, being outdoors, even though we are considered high risk, we would go. Besides, the whole world will be watching so I think the NFL and the city of Tampa will make sure all rules will be followed.

On the ship you would spend several days, at least inside, breathing the contaminated air of others. If they police the masks and social distancing like they do most of their other rules, we wouldn't go, even for free.

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

About 15,000 fans will pay top dollar

I don't think 15,000 spectators at the Super Bowl spread out in an outdoor stadium that has a capacity of just under 70,000 is a health risk.  Any outdoors activities where people can practice distancing should be encouraged.

Edited by mek
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

No doubt they will even with the news that Super Bowl LIV last year in Miami was suspected of spreading CV-19.  Fans will stop at nothing. 

That was at the very beginning of Covid and people were packed into the stadium.  It probably was a spreader event, but I think outdoor events can be attended and safely.

21 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

I would take my chances there  over being on a cruise ship. Last I read they were talking about allowing about 20,000 fans in, which is less than 1/3 of capacity of around 65,000. A Solstice ship holds around 2,900 and they are talking about letting about

sailing at 50% to 60% capacity.

At the Super Bowl, you probably would spend about four hours there. With social distancing, masks and all the fresh air, being outdoors, even though we are considered high risk, we would go. Besides, the whole world will be watching so I think the NFL and the city of Tampa will make sure all rules will be followed.

On the ship you would spend several days, at least inside, breathing the contaminated air of others. If they police the masks and social distancing like they do most of their other rules, we wouldn't go, even for free.

Allowing 20,000 fans into the Super Bowl is crazy!  There are many areas between arriving at the stadium and your seat that social distancing just isn't possible.  Even outside in your seat, that is just too many people.

We are booked on Quantum which has a double occupancy capacity of 4,180 passengers plus 1,500 crew.  At 50% occupancy, we are still talking over 2,000 passengers and 1,500 crew.  I have been trying to convince myself that they will be able to make people social distance and that we will avoid the MDR and WJ 100% of the time and eat only in Coastal Kitchen or have room service, but boarding, shows and disembarking still are going to be issues.  We have no issues just finding a quiet spot on deck or hibernating on our balcony and watch Alaska go by but getting to Seattle, flying, staying in a hotel, and the whole process of cruising might just be too much exposure for us at this point.  I am happy that it is Quantum that is going to be starting first and all the new procedures will be old hat to the crew by the time the ship gets to Alaska.

Time will tell...

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Allowing 20,000 fans into the Super Bowl is crazy!  There are many areas between arriving at the stadium and your seat that social distancing just isn't possible.  Even outside in your seat, that is just too many people.

We are booked on Quantum which has a double occupancy capacity of 4,180 passengers plus 1,500 crew.  At 50% occupancy, we are still talking over 2,000 passengers and 1,500 crew.  I have been trying to convince myself that they will be able to make people social distance and that we will avoid the MDR and WJ 100% of the time and eat only in Coastal Kitchen or have room service, but boarding, shows and disembarking still are going to be issues.  We have no issues just finding a quiet spot on deck or hibernating on our balcony and watch Alaska go by but getting to Seattle, flying, staying in a hotel, and the whole process of cruising might just be too much exposure for us at this point.  I am happy that it is Quantum that is going to be starting first and all the new procedures will be old hat to the crew by the time the ship gets to Alaska.

Time will tell...

USF and the Bucs use Raymond James stadium in Tampa. They both are allowing 16,000-20,000 fans and haven't heard of a problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ownedbypets said:

USF and the Bucs use Raymond James stadium in Tampa. They both are allowing 16,000-20,000 fans and haven't heard of a problem.

That's great that there haven't been any issues yet.  It just takes one fool who is covid positive, but goes to the game anyway, to start a super spreader event.  Look at the Dodgers, I hope that the idiot who was removed from the game because he was positive, but went out on the field for all of the pictures, doesn't cause a covid cluster.  He has put his teammates and their families at risk.

Too many people have no consideration for others, which is what makes me nervous with cruising.  Both my DH and I got influenza A on Anthem and were quarantined.  We are almost positive we got it day 1 in the WJ when we walked by a grandmother holding a baby, trying to calm her down.  Just as we passed, the baby sneezed in our direction, a really wet, yucky sneeze.  We looked at the baby and she was very flushed and looked miserable.  Not I am cranky miserable and need a nap, she looked feverish and lethargic.  A few days later, both my DH and I had high fevers and tested positive on the ship and there were many others sick on the ship too.  We can't guarantee that this large family group was the source but having driven to the port, we didn't catch it getting there.

We will just have to wait and see how masks and social distancing is enforced on the early sailings before we make a final decision to sail.  I don't have a good feeling that ships will even be sailing before next summer anyway and the decision to sail will be out of my hands.  Lets just hope that the current surges slow down soon.

• Like 1

Canada has extended the cruise ban until the end of February.  But really who wants to cruise here in January. 😂

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/canada-s-ban-on-big-cruise-ships-extended-until-february-1.5166526?taid=5f9b14b8f408e100011921b9&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2