Are we ever going to get to cruise again?

bnbeyer

15 hours ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

The fascinating similarities between so many bankruptcies is the presence of crippling debt ... sometimes from LBOs, but very often from over-compensated executives who simply used the credit card to keep their $$ flowing in until the whole thing collapsed.

Sounds mighty familiar to the cruise lines.

If they make it out of the pandemic, they'll be saddled with five boatloads of debt. And that cannot be repaid by charging bargain fares mixed with quality service .... expect to pay more & get less.

You may not like this, but this person is right. Carnival is going to be cutting every corner and trying to maximize every profit when they return to cruising. They will have no choice. 

3 minutes ago, asalligo said:

You may not like this, but this person is right. Carnival is going to be cutting every corner and trying to maximize every profit when they return to cruising. They will have no choice. 

Very many companies are backed into this corner in all industries. So many have kicked the bankruptcy can far down the alley.  

2 hours ago, asalligo said:

The problem with cutting corners and raising prices is the law of supply and demand. There may very well at first be a pent up demand, but there will also be a reluctance based on that corner cutting and a fear of quarantine. It is definitely a dilemma for the cruise lines once there is a mass restart.

28 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

The problem with cutting corners and raising prices is the law of supply and demand. There may very well at first be a pent up demand, but there will also be a reluctance based on that corner cutting and a fear of quarantine. It is definitely a dilemma for the cruise lines once there is a mass restart.

All true . To add another, we had an Asian cruise booked from Singapore at the end of February . We were so excited . The pandemic started there so our cruise was cancelled  two weeks prior to sailing. Thus we booked an AI in Mexico . It was FANTASTIC !! We are very much looking to go again , much more then cruising . We found a great alternative for our annual winter cruise . I'm sure there are others who will find other vacation options instead of a degraded cruise experience .  

Edited by richstowe

6 minutes ago, richstowe said:

All true . To add another, we had an Asian cruise booked from Singapore at the end of February . We were so excited . The pandemic started there so our cruise was cancelled  two weeks prior to sailing. Thus we booked an AI in Mexico . It was FANTASTIC !! We are very much looking to go again , much more then cruising . We found a great alternative for our annual winter cruise . I'm sure there are others who will find other vacation options instead of a degraded cruise experience .  

Correct, not only are cruise lines in competition with one another, but also with other travel alternatives. Degrading the experience while charging more for it cannot be a successful strategy in the long run.

• Like 1

Or perhaps the opportunity to enact profile / targeted market change .

one that addresses some things they wanted to do or planned over years , now can change overnight.?

perhaps an increase in both fares and on board experience?

Something is going to change , perhaps it  will drive a re invention of its self 

4 hours ago, bitemyfly said:

Or perhaps the opportunity to enact profile / targeted market change .

one that addresses some things they wanted to do or planned over years , now can change overnight.?

perhaps an increase in both fares and on board experience?

Something is going to change , perhaps it  will drive a re invention of its self 

Totally agree with this.  Necessity is the mother of invention. Just look at healthcare and all the changes it has seen in 2020.  Cruising will not be the same, but maybe it will be better.  Just the elimination of the mass muster drill will be a huge improvement.  

35 minutes ago, lazydayz said:

Totally agree with this.  Necessity is the mother of invention. Just look at healthcare and all the changes it has seen in 2020.  Cruising will not be the same, but maybe it will be better.  Just the elimination of the mass muster drill will be a huge improvement.  

You do realize that the muster drill is required by law, right?

7 minutes ago, john91498 said:

You do realize that the muster drill is required by law, right?

Of course. You do realize it will not longer be a mass gathering where everyone is huddled together pretending to listen to instructions?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, lazydayz said:

Of course. You do realize it will not longer be a mass gathering where everyone is huddled together pretending to listen to instructions?  

They can pretend to pay attention from the comfort of their own cabin.

• Haha 1

On 11/20/2020 at 9:08 AM, asalligo said:

Its going to be VERY different. Thats why I'm avoiding for a year +. Watching my Platinum benefits get gutted over the last 17 years I can't imagine what much of the cruise experience will have shrunk by the time they start up.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MRVEGAS711 said:

Its going to be VERY different. Thats why I'm avoiding for a year +. Watching my Platinum benefits get gutted over the last 17 years I can't imagine what much of the cruise experience will have shrunk by the time they start up.

Since it is a slow Saturday, please explain how your Plat benefits have been gutted.  Why would the experience change at all?

4 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Since it is a slow Saturday, please explain how your Plat benefits have been gutted.  Why would the experience change at all?

Off the top of my head.  The reduction with the number of bags of laundry being done, the change regarding the past guest party being allocated for 45 minutes on the last day, and the implementation of FTTF, which allows reds and golds to purchase perks that Plats and Diamonds have earned.

Since tender priority doesn't happen too often, early embarkation and the dedicated line at guest services are the only perks worth anything.  And the dedicated line is now also full of FTTF people that should not be there, IMHO. 

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:Off the top of my head.  The reduction with the number of bags of laundry being done, the change regarding the past guest party being allocated for 45 minutes on the last day, and the implementation of FTTF, which allows reds and golds to purchase perks that Plats and Diamonds have earned.

Since tender priority doesn't happen too often, early embarkation and the dedicated line at guest services are the only perks worth anything.  And the dedicated line is now also full of FTTF people that should not be there, IMHO. 

For the record, FTTF was a feature that was in place and ADDED to plats and diamonds.  Even if untrue, you did not lose anything.  Not sure what you lost at the past guest if you are plat also.  Laundry was a cut but if a couple (and the same status) you love nothing.   The line for plat diamonds and adding FTTF is not a pull away, just more people.  At any rate (realize you are not the op) it is not a gut job.  IMHO 

• Like 2

What I lost with the introduction of FTTF was the minuscule amount of people that would be in line ahead of me the few times that I would go to customer service.   On our last Horizon cruise last year, it was cut short because of an impending hurricane.  When I went to guest services, the line at guest services in the roped off area was incredibly deep because of the addition of the FTTF people.  

FTTF is a pure money grab by Carnival that costs them nothing.  The price for it has increased over the years and is scaled according to the newness of the ship and the length of the cruise.

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

What I lost with the introduction of FTTF was the minuscule amount of people that would be in line ahead of me the few times that I would go to customer service.   On our last Horizon cruise last year, it was cut short because of an impending hurricane.  When I went to guest services, the line at guest services in the roped off area was incredibly deep because of the addition of the FTTF people.  

FTTF is a pure money grab by Carnival that costs them nothing.  The price for it has increased over the years and is scaled according to the newness of the ship and the length of the cruise.

Nothing to do with plat diamond program.  The FTTF program was a pure flat out home run, who ever thought of it deserves a big promo.   One cruise with a hurricane is no way to judge a program.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Off the top of my head.  The reduction with the number of bags of laundry being done, the change regarding the past guest party being allocated for 45 minutes on the last day, and the implementation of FTTF, which allows reds and golds to purchase perks that Plats and Diamonds have earned.

Your comment is one of many reasons Carnival is no longer our cruise line of choice. I really don’t have anything negative to say about Carnival, but we get treated significantly better on RCI and Celebrity, even though our highest loyalty level is with Carnival. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Your comment is one of many reasons Carnival is no longer our cruise line of choice. I really don’t have anything negative to say about Carnival, but we get treated significantly better on RCI and Celebrity, even though our highest loyalty level is with Carnival. 

Some day we should discuss that but it is fairly far off topic here.  

22 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Many, here's one. Miami VIP lounge. Private area, refreshments, snacks. NOW, Sitting with rest of passengers (on one side of velvet rope) with Vending machines! Nice touch.

2 hours ago, MRVEGAS711 said:

Many, here's one. Miami VIP lounge. Private area, refreshments, snacks. NOW, Sitting with rest of passengers (on one side of velvet rope) with Vending machines! Nice touch.

Last cruise we had vip was in separate room with usual amenities.  Maybe you got lost. 

The major cruise lines could avoid the CDC altogether, by sailing our of Quebec, for Caribbean sailings.  It is time for them to base their ships in Eastern Canada and service the Canadian market first, then North America.  Also, Panama & South American sailings, could save their companies from bankruptcy. 

• Haha 1