Covid -19 Vaccinations

rucrazy

Covid vaccines   

97 members have voted

1. 1. Will you get the Covid Vaccine when made available

• Yes, as soon as possible
    • Yes, but will wait a a while to seek if it has adverse effects on others.
    • No. I don't believe in vaccinations.
    • I don't know

CDC Recommendations

Of interest, CDC has issued the following recommendations https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-1...derations.html :

"However, vaccinated persons with an exposure to someone with suspected or confirmed COVID-19 are not required to quarantine if they meet all of the following criteria:
  • Are fully vaccinated (i.e., ≥2 weeks following receipt of the second dose in a 2-dose series, or ≥2 weeks following receipt of one dose of a single-dose vaccine)
  • Are within 3 months following receipt of the last dose in the series
  • Have remained asymptomatic since the current COVID-19 exposure
Persons who do not meet all 3 of the above criteria should continue to follow current quarantine guidance after exposure to someone with suspected or confirmed COVID-19."

While not directly related to cruising, it suggests that the CDC only has confidence that the vaccines are effective for 2.5 months following the two-week period after the last vaccination.

If this is true, it suggests that it may be way too early to plan that cruise for month four after vaccination. Sigh.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2021 at 7:20 PM, Lois R said:

What qualifies as underlying conditions?  I have diabetes and kidney disease but both are in

control. (THANKFULLY).  

Lois, Did you check with your Doctor?

In Palm Beach and Martin counties, both diabetes and kidney disease are among the conditions listed to be eligible for vaccination among those younger than 65 (requires a form to be submitted by your physician).   Here's the list of conditions : https://www.jupitermed.com/covid19-vaccine/

And a colleague in New York who is in her early 50s but has kidney disease received her first vaccine shot last week.

Good luck to Lois in getting the vaccine.  We are scheduled for our second Moderna shot in three day.  

From the New York Times lead story this morning, they had this headline: “Johnson & Johnson Vaccine Protects Against Severe Illness and May Reduce Transmission, F.D.A. Analyses Find” with these highlights: “The one-shot coronavirus vaccine made by Johnson & Johnson provides strong protection against severe disease and death from Covid-19, and may reduce the spread of the virus by vaccinated people, according to new analyses posted online by the Food and Drug Administration on Wednesday.  The vaccine had a 72 percent overall efficacy rate in the United States and 64 percent in South Africa, where a highly contagious variant emerged in the fall and is now driving most cases. The efficacy in South Africa was seven points higher than earlier data released by the company.  The vaccine also showed 86 percent efficacy against severe forms of Covid-19 in the United States, and 82 percent against severe disease in South Africa. That means that a vaccinated person has a far lower risk of being hospitalized or dying from Covid-19.  The analyses confirmed that Americans are likely to benefit soon from a third effective coronavirus vaccine developed in under a year, as demand for inoculations greatly outstrips supply. The F.D.A. could authorize the vaccine as early as Saturday, depending on a vote of its vaccine advisory panel on Friday after it discusses the newly released documents.”

More good news!!  Added time is still needed for cruising to resume, but things are moving in a positive direction.  Light at the end of the tunnel is getting closer.

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/02/24/world/covid-19-coronavirus

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 232,437 views. 

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

Lois, Did you check with your Doctor?

In Palm Beach and Martin counties, both diabetes and kidney disease are among the conditions listed to be eligible for vaccination among those younger than 65 (requires a form to be submitted by your physician).   Here's the list of conditions : https://www.jupitermed.com/covid19-vaccine/

And a colleague in New York who is in her early 50s but has kidney disease received her first vaccine shot last week.

I have a call into the Dr but I am trying to find out from the actual Health Dept.......like you

have in Jupiter.   Trying to contact them directly, here in Duval County.......not having much

luck.

Well, I just reached the FL Dept of Health......maybe your county in Jupiter is doing things on their own?

But the guy I spoke with said I am a no go----even with Diabetes. Since I am not 65 I am

not yet eligible. He said he was reading from what was issued from the state.  So who knows?

I will just wait my turn like everyone else.    I called my County Health Dept and was told I need to go to the state, so that is where I went.

Hang in there Lois.   Johnson & Johnson is on the horizon and will make a big difference.  They have about 2 million doses on the loading dock and more to come in the next few weeks.  I know there is a movement by some doctors to get it in their offices to give to their high risk patients despite age.  Despite the government experts downplaying any optimism, there is cause to be looking forward positively.  We need hope and a positive attitude not fear mongering.  The cruise industry has a unique set of issues and may need more time to overcome all the fears and looming inconveniences.  

Stay well.....Sunshine & Love from South Florida

Hi Cece, I am hanging🙂...but one would think all our counties would be implementing these

vaccines under the same rules.  (But that would just be too logical), especially here in Florida😲.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi Cece, I am hanging🙂...but one would think all our counties would be implementing these

vaccines under the same rules.  (But that would just be too logical), especially here in Florida😲.

Here in Texas I am in Group 1b which includes 65 year olds.  That said I might as well be on the moon trying to get vaccinated.  I check three different sites two or three times a day and can’t get an appointment.   In fact it’s time to check again.......  🥴

Hi Randy, you know what, I never sent you good wishes or even asked how you and Cary are 

doing.......I hope you made it through your snowstorm ok and are doing well.

8 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Randy, you know what, I never sent you good wishes or even asked how you and Cary are 

doing.......I hope you made it through your snowstorm ok and are doing well.

We got through it but it wasn’t pleasant.  We had power off and on starting late Sunday then Tuesday early it went out for 36 straight hours and then the water failed.  The natural gas didn’t go out so we were able to cook on our stove top and I ran our gas fireplace for 96 straight hours.  Kept the house at a balmy 45F.  Luckily I had managed to store up eight gallons of fresh water.   We flushed our toilet with pool water.  Only casualty was one of the pumps on our pool so it’s down until my pool guy gets the part.   Considering the county is investigating 21 deaths that appear to be storm related we feel pretty lucky.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

I not aware of different rules in different counties.  Here in Collier & Lee & all along Gulf Coast, the rules are the same & assuming throughout Florida.   Florida residents 65 + & medical staff, front line people etc.  I know it’s frustrating if you are below that threshold.  It would be even more chaos if that wasn’t the case. However, with more options coming, we are hoping all can be scheduled.  This is so unprecedented and understandably frustrating.  I know people who have multiple family members on line each day at same time trying to snag an appointment.  Not surprising that people can’t get through, but more & more each day people are getting their appointments.  It’s all about vaccine production.  Better days ahead. Keep the faith. 

Hi CeCe, well, from what the man at the Florida Dept of Health told me, nobody under 65 is 

eligible to get one unless they are a Health Care worker and/or Essential worker.  So that list

on the link you posted earlier? Not sure where the city of Jupiter got that information. 

8 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi CeCe, well, from what the man at the Florida Dept of Health told me, nobody under 65 is 

eligible to get one unless they are a Health Care worker and/or Essential worker.  So that list

on the link you posted earlier? Not sure where the city of Jupiter got that information. 

That must have been someone else who posted a link.  My info is the same as yours.  Jupiter can be a whole different planet in Florida (wink wink). 

Edited by cece50

2 hours ago, cece50 said:

That must have been someone else who posted a link.  My info is the same as yours.  Jupiter can be a whole different planet in Florida (wink wink). 

Oh sorry, you are right....it was Dolcevita Diva who posted it.  

Currently in MASS, if you are 65+ you are eligible, appointment required....but appointments are non existent.  Every day I have been on the state website to find an appointment, today I was 131,233 in line with a wait time quoted as 5 1/2 hours until I could schedule........  and, just to add injury to the insult, the longer I waited, the wait time kept going longer.  Maybe I need to go to Florida.

Concerned about Covid-19 variants?  Many important question exist as to these future issues!!

From the Associated Press/AP newswire this morning, they had this headline: How would COVID-19 vaccine makers adapt to variants? with this answer: “By tweaking their vaccines, a process that should be easier than coming up with the original shots.  Viruses constantly mutate as they spread, and most changes aren’t significant. First-generation COVID-19 vaccines appear to be working against today’s variants, but makers already are taking steps to update their recipes if health authorities decide that’s needed.  COVID-19 vaccines by Pfizer and Moderna are made with new technology that’s easy to update. The so-called mRNA vaccines use a piece of genetic code for the spike protein that coats the coronavirus, so your immune system can learn to recognize and fight the real thing.  If a variant with a mutated spike protein crops up that the original vaccine can’t recognize, companies would swap out that piece of genetic code for a better match — if and when regulators decide that’s necessary.   Updating other COVID-19 vaccines could be more complex. The AstraZeneca vaccine, for example, uses a harmless version of a cold virus to carry that spike protein gene into the body. An update would require growing cold viruses with the updated spike gene.  The Food and Drug Administration said studies of updated COVID-19 vaccines won’t have to be as large or long as for the first generation of shots.”

Good news and helpful background?  Reactions and added questions?

Full story at:

https://apnews.com/article/lifestyle-coronavirus-pandemic-coronavirus-vaccine-cc8f8f4ce5f5d4013be6ce2aadb29a19

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 89,697 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

46 minutes ago, crusinbanjo said:

Currently in MASS, if you are 65+ you are eligible, appointment required....but appointments are non existent.  Every day I have been on the state website to find an appointment, today I was 131,233 in line with a wait time quoted as 5 1/2 hours until I could schedule........  and, just to add injury to the insult, the longer I waited, the wait time kept going longer.  Maybe I need to go to Florida.

Better to come to the U.K., we’ve done all our over 65’s who wish to be vaccinated.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, crusinbanjo said:

If you are here in Jacksonville, if you are over 65 you don't even need an appt.....they keep updating the local news where the shots are being given.

It is at one one of our malls. I was reading on line yesterday and it said no 

appointments were even necessary!  We must have enough stuff but not

the demand.

• Like 1

Well, our Governor was here today and actually said "barring any distribution issues, they are going to lower the age range for vaccinations sometime in March."

March is actually this weekend but it probably won't be for another 3/4 weeks. That was part of his press conference so I will just wait and see what happens.

23 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

What is “Yellow Card data”?  I’ve never even heard of it before.

The “Yellow Card” was, maybe still is, the yellow colored card/little light cardboard folder International Immunization Record.  Back years ago you didn’t travel without it.   I don’t remember exactly when it became a non-issue but I know when I got transferred to Germany in the mid 80’s it wasn’t asked for or an issue.   We have travelled fairly extensively in the past eight years and have never been asked for it.   Mine is somewhere in our files but not sure where.  I can’t imagine it has been automated but it certainly could be like passport information automated and available via some database.  

Edited by Randyk47
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

What is “Yellow Card data”?  I’ve never even heard of it before.

In the UK when a patient has an adverse reaction to any medication that reaction can be reported using a yellow card proforma. The results are centrally stored and analysed. This gives a large database of adverse reactions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1