River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

1 minute ago, jpalbny said:

Not really "cooking" but lecker, all the same! Now I am hungry for some good food.

You are right of course. It is not cooked and has nothing to do with a cockerel.  Would you believe this bread roll with cheese has even got its own wikipedia page in German. It is a speciality in Cologne.

notamermaid

• 2 weeks later...

"Ufftata, ufftata, tatarataratata...." Ha, there is no beating the Carnival spirit, not even Covid can do that!! :classic_smile::classic_smile:🍻 🥳

Drove in the car to a bakers today and passed a float being presented to the Carnival people there (only a handful of officials), people queuing up to get Berliner and Mutzen and the assistant was dressed up.

Good news I have heard from Mainz our state capital as well. Television was well done technically, only 30 in the big hall where they film the annual show, they played pre-recorded clips in between of singers and the "Schwellköpp" (Mainz papiermaché heads) parading through town. The floats cannot be shown to the public for fear of crowds but they plan to put them in an exhibition when people are allowed to gather again. This is what Carnival is like this year: https://www.dw.com/en/germanys-scaled-down-coronavirus-carnival/a-56514802

Photos? Sorry no, not this time. The Berliner were passed on to family members as they had been pre-ordered, Mutzen sold out and the "Quarkbällchen" were eaten before I remembered to take a photo.

Now I am getting hungry again, time to make dinner.

Alaaf! 🥳

notamermaid

• Like 3

For those missing Mardi Gras parades take a look at how the residents of New Orleans have reacted. It's absolutely brillilant!

Article:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2021/02/15/mardi-gras-yardi-float-covid/

Video:  https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mardi-gras-new-orleans-houses-floats/

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

Just saw that Crystal Cruises is going to require proof of COVID vaccine from all passengers, when they're able to sail again.

I expect this will become universal – and I will feel safer with it.

2 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

Just saw that Crystal Cruises is going to require proof of COVID vaccine from all passengers, when they're able to sail again.

Glad to hear it! It will be curious how long a vaccine works and if there will be trouble getting vaccines a year from now (or whatever the time period will be).

Egypt has announced that they have unearthed a brewery: https://www.dw.com/en/beer-from-ancient-egypt-to-modern-germany/a-56582300

It goes on to explain how beer got from Egypt to Germany and Central Europe in ancient times, the pathway is not quite clear, but the Romans preferred wine. By the time the Romans left the Empire to its own devices, the peoples that would become the Germans had adopted beer as their favourite drink, it was not yet mass produced as such, but it appears that while the people were not so interested in maintaining the brilliant Roman roads they were very interested in keeping the art of beer brewing alive (and expanding it). Now, if I was being malicious I would say that for staggering home you do not need well-maintained roads. And driving those Roman chariots - no, do not drink and drive...

notamermaid

• Haha 2

@acwmom - I found that it is an ancient stone relief (stele) in the parapet of the Ponte Pietra. Not much information - still no idea where the relief is from. There is some interesting info on the following site but the relief is, unfortunately, not mentioned. Rats!

https://danelis.ru/en/starinnyi-most-v-verone-verona-devyat-mest-kotorye-potryasli-nas-cerkov/

Edited by dogs4fun

6 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

@acwmom - I found that it is an ancient stone relief (stele) in the parapet of the Ponte Pietra. Not much information - still no idea where the relief is from. There is some interesting info on the following site but the relief is, unfortunately, not mentioned. Rats!

https://danelis.ru/en/starinnyi-most-v-verone-verona-devyat-mest-kotorye-potryasli-nas-cerkov/

You should post it on the photo quiz board so others can also see it.

2 minutes ago, Coral said:

You should post it on the photo quiz board so others can also see it.

Good idea. Where is the photo quiz board - do you have a link?

Wonder if @acwmom would post her photo? I don't have a photo of the stele. 

I am such a nerd - will quit obsessing over the stele for the present time. 🙂

12 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Good idea. Where is the photo quiz board - do you have a link?

Wonder if @acwmom would post her photo? I don't have a photo of the stele. 

I am such a nerd - will quit obsessing over the stele for the present time. 🙂

Sorry - I meant to post on the thread where we were discussing it - obviously we got off topic as we were all curious about this: 

Edited by Coral

4 minutes ago, Coral said:

Sorry - I meant to post on the thread where we were discussing it - obviously we got off topic as we were all curious about this: 

Ah - I thought there might be another quiz site dealing with ancient artifacts. I changed to the watercooler because I didn't want to continue to post off topic on the river cruise photo quiz - still waiting for someone to identify your church over on that board. 😁

BTW - did you go inside the church? My brother & SIL rarely miss mass so we attend in whatever city we are visiting. I have seen the interior of some beautiful churches this way as some of these churches cannot be visited outside of service hours.

34 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Ah - I thought there might be another quiz site dealing with ancient artifacts. I changed to the watercooler because I didn't want to continue to post off topic on the river cruise photo quiz - still waiting for someone to identify your church over on that board. 😁

BTW - did you go inside the church? My brother & SIL rarely miss mass so we attend in whatever city we are visiting. I have seen the interior of some beautiful churches this way as some of these churches cannot be visited outside of service hours.

That makes sense. No, I didn't go in that day - I don't remember why. My attention on that day was outdoor items if you catch my drift. 

Usually I try to go in. 

4 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Dogs4fun had to let you know my youngest daughter has just got her rescued from Spain ‘Pointer’ she is beautiful, my grandson is ecstatic. She’s a bit thin but that will be sorted. Sad I won’t be able to see her in the flesh just yet. CA 

How wonderful @Canal archive! Has she sent you any photos that you can share? 😀

Edited by dogs4fun