No proof yet that vaccination prevents transmission to others

Moderna Chief Medical Officer warns public should not "over-interpret" the vaccine trial results to assume life could go back to normal after adults are vaccinated. "They do not show that they prevent you from potentially carrying this virus transiently and infecting others. I think it's important that we don't change behavior solely on the basis of vaccination."  Which means keep social distancing and wearing masks and hand hygiene.

While he believes based on the science that it's likely that vaccine does prevent transmission, there's still no solid proof of that.

Hopefully there will be proof by the time cruising eventually starts up next year.
Edited by twins_to_alaska

That statement, of course, assumes you are infected when you get the vaccine-symptomatic, pre-symptomatic, non-symptomatic.  What these test show is that , if you do not have the virus, there's a 90%+ effective rate that you won't get it.  Think of it as similar to a flu shot.  Getting a flu shot doesn't mean you won't get the flu, but increases the likelihood you won't or will suffer lesser degree of illness. And flu vaccines are only about 50% effective.  So get the vaccine.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, twins_to_alaska said:
Moderna Chief Medical Officer warns public should not "over-interpret" the vaccine trial results to assume life could go back to normal after adults are vaccinated. "They do not show that they prevent you from potentially carrying this virus transiently and infecting others. I think it's important that we don't change behavior solely on the basis of vaccination."  Which means keep social distancing and wearing masks and hand hygiene.

While he believes based on the science that it's likely that vaccine does prevent transmission, there's still no solid proof of that.

Hopefully there will be proof by the time cruising eventually starts up next year.

Just one more reason why everyone should get the vaccine, but of course many won't - so you know what?  I don't care - as long as I'm protected, it's their problem, not mine if they can become infected.  There is absolutely no reason why we should have to continue wearing masks and social distance once the vaccine has become available to everyone who wants it.

• Like 12

Time will tell but I expect we will have to continue wearing masks and social distancing for most or maybe all of 2021 until this virus is eradicated as much as it can be.  

We will definitely get the vaccine but I am not going to be first in line.  

I cannot wait for the day when I can stop washing our masks every week!!

Of course there is no possibility of proof based on the number of people who contracted the disease after taking any of the vaccines.  The total numbers of people who got sick after taking the vaccine is only a few handfuls.  I don’t believe the study involved any significant contact tracing based on the way the tests were set up.  IE the testing didn’t try to demonstrate this.  Therefore it won’t.

jc

2 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Time will tell but I expect we will have to continue wearing masks and social distancing for most or maybe all of 2021 until this virus is eradicated as much as it can be.  

We will wear masks forever and ever and ever as they also prevent you catching common cold, flu, bronchitis, and pneumonia in some cases. Remember that. And it will stop people having days of work and will save the NHS a good amount of money every year. Not sure how much it would save U.S every year with everything being on insurance or you pay for it yourself. 

2 minutes ago, Husky1987 said:

So let me get this straight...

I can get vaccinated, not come down with Covid myself, but I'm still able to pass it along to someone who is stupid/stubborn enough to not get the vaccine?  

Interesting....

Thinking out loud.... if this is true then maybe more will get vaccinated. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Thinking out loud.... if this is true then maybe more will get vaccinated. 🤷‍♂️

I read this in two different places (one from someone who was in a test group) and also from a "expert" on TV.  

5 minutes ago, mafig said:

I read this in two different places (one from someone who was in a test group) and also from a "expert" on TV.  

It might just spur the "fence sitters" to get it.  Only time will tell.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

We will wear masks forever and ever and ever as they also prevent you catching common cold, flu, bronchitis, and pneumonia in some cases. Remember that. And it will stop people having days of work and will save the NHS a good amount of money every year. Not sure how much it would save U.S every year with everything being on insurance or you pay for it yourself. 

Some people will and some people wont.  When this pandemic is over, I will be in the "won't" group.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

A tv doctor expects vaccines to be available to all who want it by may. Who knows how many wouldnt get is and continue to spread it. 

36 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

A tv doctor expects vaccines to be available to all who want it by may. Who knows how many wouldnt get is and continue to spread it. 

The only people I trust less than TV doctors are public health officials.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

I can get vaccinated, not come down with Covid myself, but I'm still able to pass it along to someone who is stupid/stubborn enough to not get the vaccine?  

Interesting....

Sounds like a “them” problem, not a “me” problem 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

Interesting....

Be nice, let's remember there are many people who cannot get vaccines because of other health issues.     My DH is an organ transplant recipient that takes anti-rejection meds every day which means he basically does not have an immune system (very little).     No one knows if the new vaccine will be safe for him to take.    I have a long list of medication (couple pages) he is Not allowed to take and other vaccines he is not allowed to get because of the other meds he takes.     We are in great health in our 50's and ready to getting cruising and traveling again.    

Yes, there are people out there that don't believe in vaccines for religious or personal reasons.     Choice is their right.     They may not be allowed to get on a cruise ship without showing proof they were vaccinated - no one knows for sure yet. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

That statement, of course, assumes you are infected when you get the vaccine-symptomatic, pre-symptomatic, non-symptomatic.  What these test show is that , if you do not have the virus, there's a 90%+ effective rate that you won't get it.  Think of it as similar to a flu shot.  Getting a flu shot doesn't mean you won't get the flu, but increases the likelihood you won't or will suffer lesser degree of illness. And flu vaccines are only about 50% effective.  So get the vaccine.  

This.  The ones that will be at risk will be those that refuse to get the vaccine, not those that do.

6 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Be nice, let's remember there are many people who cannot get vaccines because of other health issues.     My DH is an organ transplant recipient that takes anti-rejection meds every day which means he basically does not have an immune system (very little).     No one knows if the new vaccine will be safe for him to take.    I have a long list of medication (couple pages) he is Not allowed to take and other vaccines he is not allowed to get because of the other meds he takes.     We are in great health in our 50's and ready to getting cruising and traveling again.    

Yes, there are people out there that don't believe in vaccines for religious or personal reasons.     Choice is their right.     They may not be allowed to get on a cruise ship without showing proof they were vaccinated - no one knows for sure yet. 

Yes, there are people who can't get vaccines but it's a small percentage of the population.   Most people don't know anyone who has had a transplant.  I know one.  Other than that I don't know anyone who has other issues that prevent vaccination.  It's just not that many people. The vast majority who don't get them flat out don't want to.  Look at it this way, those that do get it, are protecting your husband and others like him.  That's how it works.

Edited by BND

4 minutes ago, BND said:

Yes, there are people who can't get vaccines but it's a small percentage of the population.  The vast majority who don't get them flat out don't want to.

Yes, there will be a large portion that won't get this vaccine too.    Lots of people just don't believe the science, just like there are still a lot of people out there that still think this is a Hoax or no big deal.    Their choice, no one can force them to and exactly why I believe the cruise lines will require proof of vaccination before boarding their ships.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, BND said:

Yes, there are people who can't get vaccines but it's a small percentage of the population.   Most people don't know anyone who has had a transplant.  I know one.  Other than that I don't know anyone who has other issues that prevent vaccination.  It's just not that many people. The vast majority who don't get them flat out don't want to.  Look at it this way, those that do get it, are protecting your husband and others like him.  That's how it works.

Exactly.  I know a lot of people , (including family members), who will not get the vaccine - none have any health reasons preventing them from getting one - they just aren't going to do it, so I have no sympathy for them or feel any reason to believe I should continue to protect them by wearing a mask, social distancing................

3 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Problem is, the way to build immunity is to be exposed to viruses.  By hiding behind a mask forever, all you're doing is weakening your immune system which in turn can make you sicker when you do catch something and make you more likely to catch everything you do come into contact with.  

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, BND said:

Problem is, the way to build immunity is to be exposed to viruses.  By hiding behind a mask forever, all you're doing is weakening your immune system which in turn can make you sicker when you do catch something and make you more likely to catch everything you do come into contact with.  

Exposing yourself can lead to illness, hospitalization, being put on a ventilator, and/or death. No thank you, I'll continue to wear my mask, social distance, wash my hands, and hope the vaccine is as effective as advertised.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Exposing yourself can lead to illness, hospitalization, being put on a ventilator, and/or death. No thank you, I'll continue to wear my mask, social distance, wash my hands, and hope the vaccine is as effective as advertised.

I am not talking about exposing yourself to Covid, geez.

• Like 1