For those who've been on a Norwegian fiords cruise

sjde

We went with Royal Caribbean for a Norwegian Fjords Cruise from Copenhagen (also possible from Southampton) We have also done the Norwegian Coast from Bergen to Kirkenes with Hurtigruten. 
Hurtigruten from Bergen to Kirkenes is a coastal passenger and cargo service with 34 ports along the route in six days - they do also offer Norwegian Fjords expedition cruises from Dover (and possibly from Bergen post COVID-19). Summer for Midnight Sun and Winter for Northern Lights.

• Like 1

Our Norwegian Fjord cruise was also on Princess - 14 days round trip Southampton in June 2019.  We loved it.  Recommendations which ever cruise line you chose: 

• Take at least a 14 day cruise so you see north of the Arctic Circle.
  • Cruise over the summer solstice as we did.  The sun didn't set for the 3 nights we were above the Arctic Circle
  • Check the itineraries for each ship carefully.  I think that Norway established some new and stringent rules on what type of ship could sail the fjords and you don't want to miss that scenery!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, capriccio said:

think that Norway established some new and stringent rules on what type of ship could sail the fjords and you don't want to miss that scenery!

Excellent point - not all ships are allowed into the heritage fjords today  (depending on age) - originally from 2026 only electronic propulsion will be allowed in the fjords - might be postponed to 2030.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, drsel said:

Is it possible to see the Northern lights from Honningsvag early September?

Should be possible  - sunset in Honningsvåg is at 8 pm beginning of September - you should be able to see Northern Lights within the Arctic Circle ( down to Lofoten and Bodø)

I thought winter was the time to go to see the Northern lights?

When I looked yesterday I couldn’t find any cruises that were more than about 7 nts , unless you included the other Baltic countries ( which we’ve already done). 

39 minutes ago, sjde said:

I thought winter was the time to go to see the Northern lights?

Solar storms occur at all times of the year and at all times of the day, but to see the Northern Lights, it must be dark and clear skies.

However January to March are probably the three most popular months for Aurora hunting because they bring long dark nights and of the clear skies.

Spring and autumn Equinoxes (around 20 March and 20 September) is told to have greater chances for Northern Lights, not because there are more solar activities during this period, but due to the Earth's angle relative to the Sun the magnetic field does not protect the Earth quite as well.

Keep an eye on the lunar phases, when the Moon is full, it will be difficult to watch the Northern Lights. A Review of a Hurtigruten Northern Lights voyage.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hallasm said:

We have also done the Norwegian Coast from Bergen to Kirkenes with Hurtigruten. 
Hurtigruten from Bergen to Kirkenes is a coastal passenger and cargo service with 34 ports along the route in six days -

We did the RT of that on the Lofoten, now retired. It had only 100 pax and we loved it. And it really is all about the scenery. Stunning.

norway blue.jpg

• Like 1

sjde - if you haven't done this already, also check out the Northern Europe Ports of Call board for lots of useful and informative information:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/116-northern-europe-amp-baltic-sea/

If you aren't familiar with Norway (like us when we began our planning process) it is a great resource for identifying which ports you would like to have on your itinerary and then choosing excursions. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, sjde said:

I have researched,  and the towns I'd like to see are Flam and Bergen.

We were going to return, but got canceled, for the OW Bergen to Kirkenes. We were going to fly into Oslo, spend a few nights, then take the (famous for its beauty) train to Bergen and spend a few nights. As is most of Scandinavia, these cities are producing incredible food!

23 minutes ago, sjde said:

Agree. Geiranger is also nice - scenic fjord sailing and scenic views from the mountains.

Lofoten at midsummer and possibly Honningsvåg (North Cape) with midnight Sun.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sjde said:

The sail in to Flam on the Sognefjord is beautiful.  If you are interested in the scenic beauty of the fjords, also consider the Geirangerfjord. We thought it the most breathtaking scenery on a cruise full of great scenery!  We loved Bergen but our port stop was too short (only half a day). Check your prospective itineraries to see how much time they allot; it is truly worth an entire day or more.  Another city that we were surprised by and greatly enjoyed was Trondheim (Norway's 3rd largest city) with an easily walkable historic center.

• Like 1

hallasm and I were posting at the same time.  I agree with the recommendations of the Lofoten Islands and the North Cape if your cruise is north of the Arctic Circle.  We also enjoyed Tromso even though it was a chilly and rainy day but then we have friends who got married there a week earlier (she's from Tromso, he's from Florida) and we had seen pictures and heard of Tromso for years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First time with RCI's Independence OTS- vast ship but very inward looking, so few views from the inside when the weather was poor,  and many activities were on the outside decks, so unusable in the rain.

2nd time- Fred Olsen's Balmoral- smaller ship with inside areas which looked out at the fjords. Lectures were about the area or wild life, along with descriptions about the areas being sailed, such as the Westman Islands, from a speaker on the bridge. A bonus for us was sailing from the north of England, so we were in the fjords the following afternoon. 

• Like 1