3rd vaccine dose likely needed

8 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

We've all been fooled by the variant talk. There have been several variants across the world and in the USA before the UK variant got hyped, but only as the pandemic has seen the light at the end of the tunnel are we suddenly told to be concerned about the variants.

There are variants with the Flu each year. That's why we get vaccinated every year.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

We've all been fooled by the variant talk. There have been several variants across the world and in the USA before the UK variant got hyped, but only as the pandemic has seen the light at the end of the tunnel are we suddenly told to be concerned about the variants.

The only people being fooled are those that see a conspiracy in every new bit of new knowledge.

Experts have been talking about variants since late summer 2020, perhaps even earlier. At the time the comments centered around the surprising lack of variants. The expectation was they would eventually appear. A concern for the nature of variants has always surrounded the discussion. 

One possible reason for the late appearance of variants is the lack of adequate genomic testing. As I understand it prior to 2021 few countries did anywhere near enough such testing.

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

Pfizer saying you need a new booster every year is like Ford saying your car has to be fully replaced every three years for safety reasons. I think we need a very unbiased opinion about the risk of Covid variants after pandemic is over and population has been fully inoculated. I’ll look for guidance from scientists rather than CEOs. 👋 

Funny you chose Ford as an example. Back in the day Ford had a bad reputation. F. O. R. D = Fix Or Repair Daily or  Found On Road Dead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, broberts said:

Experts have been talking about variants since late summer 2020, perhaps even earlier. At the time the comments centered around the surprising lack of variants.

Yes, they've been talking about them since last March. And last March the discussion wasn't in the context of "be scared of the variants" but just "this is what viruses do." And there wasn't a surprise at the lack of variants because it was noted coronaviruses don't mutate as fast as other viruses.

Now public health decisions are being made based on the variants despite no evidence that it's any more contagious or deadly (other than a couple off base computer models)

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Funny you chose Ford as an example. Back in the day Ford had a bad reputation. F. O. R. D = Fix Or Repair Daily or  Found On Road Dead.

LOL 

FIAT = Fix it Again Tony

CADILLAC = Crazy And Dumbass Idiots Like Large American Cars

HONDA = Had One Never Did Again

SAAB = Swedish Automobiles Always Breakdown

SUBARU = Screwed Up Beyond All Repair Usually

• Haha 2

I had my first Pfizer shot this week and am scheduled to get the second in August .

I have never taken a flu shot so i was a tad reluctant to get this one. As more information became available i decided this one was probably a necessity .

If the science says we need a booster in 12 months i will get it also .

As for Pfizer saying you need one , its like asking a barber if you need a haircut.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, loman said:

I had my first Pfizer shot this week and am scheduled to get the second in August .

I have never taken a flu shot so i was a tad reluctant to get this one. As more information became available i decided this one was probably a necessity .

If the science says we need a booster in 12 months i will get it also .

As for Pfizer saying you need one , its like asking a barber if you need a haircut.

August ???

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, broberts said:

The only people being fooled are those that see a conspiracy in every new bit of new knowledge.

Precisely!

Sadly, it is the conspiracy theorists who will extend the life of this pandemic ...

Sadly, it is the conspiracy theorists who will delay the restart of the cruising industry...

Sadly, it is the conspiracy theorists who make their decisions based on politics rather than science...

Sadly, it is the conspiracy theorists who are convinced they are the only ones who know the "truth."

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Yes, they've been talking about them since last March. And last March the discussion wasn't in the context of "be scared of the variants" but just "this is what viruses do." And there wasn't a surprise at the lack of variants because it was noted coronaviruses don't mutate as fast as other viruses.

Now public health decisions are being made based on the variants despite no evidence that it's any more contagious or deadly (other than a couple off base computer models)

But if I recall correctly, last year most conversations about mutations were referring to the 1918 pandemic and how it finally mutated into something less lethal and became endemic as the common flu.

So far, Covid hasn't seemed to go in that direction.

13 hours ago, jonbgd said:

I read that from the CEO pfizer it is due to the variants 

Just got our 2nd tuesday  and will get a booster if needed

This seems to be true where I live. We are seeing an uptick in hospitalizations in fully vaccinated nursing home residents. We have the P.1 variant here and it is multiplying. The current vaccines are not very effective against some of the variants. But the vaccines are working as expected; while hospitalizations are up, deaths are not. 

1 hour ago, yogimax said:

Precisely!

Sadly, it is the conspiracy theorists who will extend the life of this pandemic ...

Sadly, it is the conspiracy theorists who will delay the restart of the cruising industry...

Sadly, it is the conspiracy theorists who make their decisions based on politics rather than science...

Sadly, it is the conspiracy theorists who are convinced they are the only ones who know the "truth."

Sadly, people are without a clue and yet they spew their “truth” as if it is.

Edited by xpcdoojk
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

While I didn’t enjoy the side effects of my second shot, I will definitely take the booster!  Just hoping the booster has less side effects...

Flu like side effects are a good sign. A robust immune system is what causes those side effects. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Heymarco said:

Some countries have chosen to ignore recommend timing to get first dose into all citizens faster.

This is correct . They are targeting areas with the most cases and setting up centers to get a vax in those areas. 

They figure more people with one shot is better than less people with two shots.

They stretched out the second shot to 3 - 4 months after the first one.

Herd immunity is better reached with this method according to the experts.

What can i say ... this is Canada . 

I will take what i can get .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I'm the only one in my family or friends who had Moderna shot. That was the first appointment that I could get. It seems to be in less supply than Pfizer at least here in NY.  I didn't have any side effects but someone I work with who also had Moderna was sick for 3 days. 

I am very surprised by the negative comments about needing a booster. I'm not Bill Nye the Science Guy but common sense tells me that with the new variations that we are seeing in virus that a booster would be needed.

We get our second Moderna shots next Wednesday. We had no reactions whatsoever from the first, but understand we may with the second. We've cleared our calendars just in case. Over the summer I got the Shingrex (shingles) vaccine, and the first one gave me flu like symptoms (body aches, tired, chills) for 48 hours and the second for maybe 24. I'd do it again though. Not surprised the COVID vaccine may be a yearly thing like the flu shot. Fine with that.

• Like 1

Just now, jules815 said:

We get our second Moderna shots next Wednesday. We had no reactions whatsoever from the first, but understand we may with the second. We've cleared our calendars just in case. Over the summer I got the Shingrex (shingles) vaccine, and the first one gave me flu like symptoms (body aches, tired, chills) for 48 hours and the second for maybe 24. I'd do it again though. Not surprised the COVID vaccine may be a yearly thing like the flu shot. Fine with that.

I forgot to say that we did have a sore arm, but not any worse than other shots we've had. Gone in a day or 2.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jules815 said:

My Dr told me to hold off on the shingles shot because of the flu like symptoms unless I wanted to quarantine 14 days.

2 hours ago, yogimax said:

Precisely!

👆

darwinism and covid.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, yogimax said:

Precisely!

You need some fresh air - it’s safe to be outside or on a beach.  (Kinda like what is conspiracy theorists have been saying all along) 

• Like 8