Medallion App Updated and Working Now

HBCcruiser

On 8/2/2021 at 12:15 PM, Daniel A said:

I decided to replace DW's Apple tablet and my Android tablet as the MC App requires higher operating systems than we were able to use in 2020.  We have a finite vacation budget and just spent more than $600 on Apple and Samsung rather than having it to spend onboard a Princess ship.  Doesn't sound like a very good business model to me...🥴

Our next Princess sailing isn't until spring, so there is still time to see if Princess will hopefully work things out. I am also one with an "old" model - I use an iphone 6  and it functions perfectly so I see no reason to upgrade it at this time. Sadly, the OS is not supported for the medallion app. I have a newer Ipad and have been able to get much of the pre-cruise stuff completed on this )as much as is available this far out anyway) BUT I have no intention of taking an ipad with me on a cruise. So, my issue lies more with the guest experience onboard rather than getting documentation completed prior to leaving home. I have LOVED the features of Medallion Class on the ships when we have had them - now it seems I will need a new phone to utilise any of those features. Sure, we could cruise without having to use them...but this is part of the overall guest experience Princess is marketing. If this isn't available to every guest, then I'm not getting the full experience. I like to be able to order drinks/food from my phone, or locate my kids, or message my kids, or check my account. I know some things can be done on the TV or the touchscreens, but if I'm sat in the theatre (for example) then I would need to do it from my phone....and unless I buy a new phone, I can't! Maybe by the time we sail, my trusty iphone 6 will have dies anyways and this will not be an issue...but how soon until the iphone 7, or 8, or whatever become obsolete with Princess, too???

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, san diego sue said:

Please, anyone have the email address for Medallion people. I am tired of trying to speak to anyone in person and not getting my situation fixed. Thanks.

Yes: A360ad7@carnival.com

8 minutes ago, san diego sue said:

Please, anyone have the email address for Medallion people. I am tired of trying to speak to anyone in person and not getting my situation fixed. Thanks.

These are the two I emailed and got fast responses from:

vjohnson@carnival.com

cforan@carnival.com

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

unless I buy a new phone, I can't! Maybe by the time we sail, my trusty iphone 6 will have dies anyways and this will not be an issue...but how soon until the iphone 7, or 8, or whatever become obsolete with Princess, too???

I think Apple is largely responsible for not supporting older devices as a plan to get people to buy new devices. They are the only source of the hardware and the only source of the Operating System. I am amazed that a monopoly charge has not been levied against Apple. I like Apple products but am irritated at their obsolescence practices.

• Like 2

Apple still supports iPhone 7.  Iphone 7 came out in 2016.  Keep the faith to all who have issues with your app.  If you are over 60 days till you cruise; you have plenty of time to get things accomplished; no worries.  For those who cannot make dinner reservations; doesn't one dining room allow guests to just show up and they will seat you based on availability?  I don't know the answer, so I ask.  

notified by Sprint that they will no longer be supporting  my iphone 4s ( 3g ) after 12/31/21 ...

no worries here, when the fedex truck arrives, I will be getting my sons "old" iphone 10 ( not sure what model ) and will take to the T-Mobile/Sprint store to get the phone number / data / sim card rolled over / installed / whatever

should be good for another 3 years or so at least ... I hope

I've had some medical problems, and have been "highly encouraged" by my providers to get my phone updated to be able to use the many new apps available for the medical field ( whatever those are )

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, voljeep said:

notified by Sprint that they will no longer be supporting  my iphone 4s ( 3g ) after 12/31/21 ...

This past January, Verizon dumped both my 3G phone and 3G home phone devices without warning.  I bought new devices and they do work better than before.

If I buy my dream car, 1966 Camaro convertible (blue with black top) I'd like to be able to fill 'er up with some leaded gas... 😄 🏁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

no worries here, when the fedex truck arrives, I will be getting my sons "old" iphone 10 ( not sure what model ) and will take to the T-Mobile/Sprint store to get the phone number / data / sim card rolled over / installed / whatever

should be good for another 3 years or so at least ... I hope

I've had some medical problems, and have been "highly encouraged" by my providers to get my phone updated to be able to use the many new apps available for the medical field ( whatever those are )

Just a FYI,  if you want to save some money,  you can just swap out sim cards from your old phone to new phone.  Call Sprint or T-Moble who bought Sprint and tell them you have new phone with your old sim card.  This should save you an activation fee.  I have T-Mobile and have done this for three phones with no issues.  

• Like 2

On 8/2/2021 at 3:15 PM, Daniel A said:

I decided to replace DW's Apple tablet and my Android tablet as the MC App requires higher operating systems than we were able to use in 2020.  We have a finite vacation budget and just spent more than $600 on Apple and Samsung rather than having it to spend onboard a Princess ship.  Doesn't sound like a very good business model to me...🥴

So, I guess the Amazon Fire Tablet that you recommended previously is out?

1 minute ago, Roberto256 said:

So, I guess the Amazon Fire Tablet that you recommended previously is out?

Well, I guess I either give up the Amazon Fire Tablet or cruising with Princess.  I'll get back to you on that...  Maybe Jeff Bezos will start a cruise line that uses those Amazon tablets...😁  Maybe one can use it for 🗼

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

Just a FYI,  if you want to save some money,  you can just swap out sim cards from your old phone to new phone.  Call Sprint or T-Moble who bought Sprint and tell them you have new phone with your old sim card.  This should save you an activation fee.  I have T-Mobile and have done this for three phones with no issues.  

my wife (11) and son ( 12 Max ) got mailed 'new' sim cards about a month ago when T-Mobile took over Sprint.  We are all on the same account and I did not get one for my 4s - so we will see what happens when I take both phones to T-Mobile for the transfer ( 4s to 10 )

3 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Apple still supports iPhone 7.  Iphone 7 came out in 2016.  Keep the faith to all who have issues with your app.  If you are over 60 days till you cruise; you have plenty of time to get things accomplished; no worries.  For those who cannot make dinner reservations; doesn't one dining room allow guests to just show up and they will seat you based on availability?  I don't know the answer, so I ask.  

If that is the case, then I am not upset at five years of support.  Presumably it is the same for Android.  I have not dug into this since we have more recent models of Samsung phones and have up-to-date OS.  They cannot support older phones forever and the phone companies will stop support as well.  

I realize everyone is different, but I wouldn't keep a phone longer than five years for sure and upgrade more frequently than that.  IDK what should be considered reasonable.  We are somewhat at the mercy of the tech giants and also Microsoft for PC's.

9 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Presumably it is the same for Android. 

Nope. Don't forget how many Android phone manufacturers there are - each one gets to set their own update policy, and they vary widely. AFAIK Samsung is 4 years, Google and OnePlus are 3 years, and Moto is 2 years, just to name a few.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

If that is the case, then I am not upset at five years of support.  Presumably it is the same for Android.  I have not dug into this since we have more recent models of Samsung phones and have up-to-date OS.  They cannot support older phones forever and the phone companies will stop support as well.  

I realize everyone is different, but I wouldn't keep a phone longer than five years for sure and upgrade more frequently than that.  IDK what should be considered reasonable.  We are somewhat at the mercy of the tech giants and also Microsoft for PC's.

I agree with you 

9 hours ago, AF-1 said:
13 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I agree with you 

Expand  

Apple supports their products a little longer than Android and I am glad.  I trade my iPhone every three to four years and trade in ipad when it no longer is supported.  Thanks for the good feedback

21 hours ago, san diego sue said:

Hi,

After 11 unanswered emails and over 5 hours on the phone I have given up on the app.

Our staycation is in a couple of weeks now and I will have to just turn up with printed docs and let them sort it all out.

I have cancelled our October cruise as I am so fed up with the whole thing.

Princess is no longer on my list.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2021 at 12:54 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

I continue to click on this link in hopes for finding a true representation of the thread title:  

Medallion App Updated and Working Now

The thread is now 68 pages and counting.  And the Medallion App is Updated but NOT Working Now.

I am still the positive me (at moment) and am hoping Princess will actually get this app to work for everyone (Android and IOS).

Thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread.  It has lessened the frustration of "being the only one" having this issue.

Princess sent me an email and upgraded booking.  When they did this it corrected problem with app.  Maybe the problem is with the way princess reps put in data?

1 hour ago, Amoorhouse said:

Princess sent me an email and upgraded booking.  When they did this it corrected problem with app.  Maybe the problem is with the way princess reps put in data?

It definitely looks like most of the problems people are having are due to data corruption, possibly from bad data entered by users, support reps, or TAs, or possibly from data being garbled by the software. The root cause is the fact that they don't properly validate the data before it's entered in the database, possibly coupled with a bad database schema design.

2 hours ago, Wendymewendy said:

Hi,

After 11 unanswered emails and over 5 hours on the phone I have given up on the app.

Our staycation is in a couple of weeks now and I will have to just turn up with printed docs and let them sort it all out.

I have cancelled our October cruise as I am so fed up with the whole thing.

Princess is no longer on my list.

Which eMail address did you send your report to? After a similar amount of time on the phone, and with whatever the support reps had done actually making the problem worse, I sent an eMail to the AskOceanMedallion@carnival.com address yesterday, with a detailed description of my problem, and got the following response this morning:

Good day, Barry.

Thank you for your email and the detailed information you provided.

We apologize for the challenge you've been experiencing and are eager to help you get OceanReady.

Your info has been passed along to our team who will take a closer look to identify what might be causing this issue.

Please note that we are prioritizing support based on sail date. Not to worry… we’ll have you ready to sail in plenty of time ahead of your voyage. We appreciate your patience while we investigate.

Kind regards,

MedallionClass Support Team

So (reading between the lines) it looks like their dev team is basically overwhelmed with the large number of problems people are having. Incidentally, while other cruise lines have smartphone apps, they don't appear to be anywhere near this buggy - While MedallionClass is rated 1.4 in the Android PlayStore, Royal's app is rated 3.8 and NCLs is 4.5. Like you, I'm removing Princess from my list.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, barrykel said:

Which eMail address did you send your report to? After a similar amount of time on the phone, and with whatever the support reps had done actually making the problem worse, I sent an eMail to the AskOceanMedallion@carnival.com address yesterday, with a detailed description of my problem, and got the following response this morning:

Good day, Barry.

Thank you for your email and the detailed information you provided.

We apologize for the challenge you've been experiencing and are eager to help you get OceanReady.

Your info has been passed along to our team who will take a closer look to identify what might be causing this issue.

Please note that we are prioritizing support based on sail date. Not to worry… we’ll have you ready to sail in plenty of time ahead of your voyage. We appreciate your patience while we investigate.

Kind regards,

MedallionClass Support Team

So (reading between the lines) it looks like their dev team is basically overwhelmed with the large number of problems people are having. Incidentally, while other cruise lines have smartphone apps, they don't appear to be anywhere near this buggy - While MedallionClass is rated 1.4 in the Android PlayStore, Royal's app is rated 3.8 and NCLs is 4.5. Like you, I'm removing Princess from my list.

I can't get Holland America's Navigator App to open.  Maybe the same geniuses working on Princess' app.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I can't get Holland America's Navigator App to open.  Maybe the same geniuses working on Princess' app.

It's the same top management team - Holland America, like Princess, is part of Carnival, and Jan Swartz is President of the Holland America Group, which also includes Seaborn and P&O Australia as well as Princess and HA.

BTW, HA's Android app is rated 2.8 in the PlayStore - not quite as bad as MedallionClass, but still pretty pathetic. 

Edited by barrykel
  • Like 1