Has HAL decided yet? Will they require vaccinations?

TomBeckCruise

7 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Interesting. There is a huge disparity between the two class of ships with regards to cabin classes. According to CruiseMapper, the Zuiderdam has: 2 Pinnacle, 60 Neptune, 100 Signature, 499 Verandah, 163 Oceanview, and 163 Inside. CruiseMapper shows Volendam with: 1 Pinnacle, 29 Neptune, Vista 168, Lanaii 21, Oceanview 383, and

Inside 136. 

I would assume that the Insides or Oceanviews could be used for quarantine if there is a Covid incident. The only problem is that the ventilation ductwork on the Volendam is zoned by area and shared among cabins in that area of the ship. It would mean sections of the ship would be cordoned off to prevent spread.

Newer ships uise individual ventilation units per cabin. That prevents the problem of a passenger blocking the balcony door open and affecting other cabins airflow that are nearby.

There is a huge disparity between the 2 ships.  Since the Zuiderdam sailing had been selling well when people were transferred to the Volendam I suspect they literally filled all the balcony cabins.

10 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Have you asked if there is capacity control on your Volendam cruise? Or is every cabin close to being sold?

MSC Grandiosa has a capacity of 4810 to 5772 passengers but has been sailing with only 1600-1800 passengers. One person per hot tub for 15 minutes (unless family), and limited numbers in the pool for a limited time.

Are they going to enforce those hot tub and pool capacity rules with the same lack of zealousness as they enforce hogging lounge chairs?

Who is going to be timing people in the hot tubs? Will there be a line of a sign up for your 15 minutes?

6 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Are they going to enforce those hot tub and pool capacity rules with the same lack of zealousness as they enforce hogging lounge chairs?

Who is going to be timing people in the hot tubs? Will there be a line of a sign up for your 15 minutes?

I'm not sure what HAL will do. Remember, initially there will be capacity control.

MSC does have crew members assigned to supervise. Any problems beyond that, I am sure Ship Security will step in.

14 hours ago, ontheweb said:

What would they do if you refuse to wear a mask during disembarkation? Kick you off the ship?🤣🤣

I suppose they could ban you from sailing on HAL again....

L.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Who wants to cruise   when freedoms care   limited  in common areas like the gym ,pool, jacuzzi ,sauna ,steam room ,if they even have them open  ?  Too many protocol sanctions will take away  the enjoyment of cruising  imo

26 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Too many protocol sanctions will take away  the enjoyment of cruising  imo

I vote for only one protocol FULL VACCINATION period!

For those that choose not to VAX or can't, I am sorry 

maybe we will see you in a few years when things calm down..

You will still have some beaches available to you enjoy your summers.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, rucrazy said:

For those that choose not to VAX or can't, I am sorry 

maybe we will see you in a few years when things calm down..

You will still have some beaches available to you enjoy your summers.

Yes with every one vaccinated on a cruise ship ,it is very unlikely  even the variants would cause wide spread  problems  of serious illness 

The problem  that can happen is that the cruise line becomes over cautious  which sends a negative message    .With  the virus  getting well under control in the USA  ,those of us fully vaccinated want our freedoms restored 

1 minute ago, Tennessee Titan said:

Greek Isles 2021 Summer announcement email say "availalble only to vaccinated guests..."

That is the best way across all  HAL ships . It is also the safest way with the age demographics  that HAL attracts to their cruises 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

I'm with you on the full vaccination protocol...... but unfortunately there will be additional protocols needed. Remember, the vaccine is not a 100% guarantee you can't pick up the virus (particularly a variant) in some port. I admit the chance of that happening is extremely slim, but all it will take is one person to bring it back onboard, and even if everyone else is vaccinated, you'll see chaos on the ship.

8 minutes ago, Lido - Lanai said:

I'm with you on the full vaccination protocol...... but unfortunately there will be additional protocols needed. Remember, the vaccine is not a 100% guarantee you can't pick up the virus (particularly a variant) in some port. I admit the chance of that happening is extremely slim, but all it will take is one person to bring it back onboard, and even if everyone else is vaccinated, you'll see chaos on the ship.

The truth of the matter is  that people can get sick but being vaccinated prevents serious illness & death  .If the cruise line does over board with  very strict protocols they just may drive their recovery business away  & that could really  hit them hard  in the pocket book   . I can;t speak for others but ,in our case we have been shut in for so long that we want our freedoms back   & we are fully vaccinated   .Any harsh  protocols would be a turn off for us . We have alternatives like doing land trips  . I feel that the tourism industry is so hungry for business ,that they will bend ;because if they don't bend they will break 

We may be saying similar things  in a different approach 

Edited by mcrcruiser
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mcrcruiser said:

The truth of the matter is  that people can get sick but being vaccinated prevents serious illness & death 

Agree.... but personally, I don't want to get ill, mildly or even asymptomatic. I'm ok with some additional protocols to prevent that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lido - Lanai said:

Agree.... but personally, I don't want to get ill, mildly or even asymptomatic. I'm ok with some additional protocols to prevent that.

What protocols   would you want in place ? 

In reality it just looks like the mutations will be  with us like the  yearly flu  .Thus ,we will require yearly booster shots .Here lies another problem ,how often will each of us require a booster shot .Already it has been determined that the vaccines will only last perhaps up to 6 months as a protection  

Edited by mcrcruiser
  • Like 1

The idea that with the vaccines in mass quantities & people getting vaccinated we gain herd immunity here is the US . The problem though are the anti vaccination people .  This is a type of virus that mutates rather quickly & often 

15 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

What protocols   would you want in place ? 

In reality it just looks like the mutations will be  with us like the  yearly flu  .Thus ,we will require yearly booster shots .Here lies another problem ,how often will each of us require a booster shot .Already it has been determined that the vaccines will only last perhaps up to 6 months as a protection  

The six months limitation is only as far as they have scientific evidence, because the vaccine has only been around for a short time. In another couple of months you could easily hear the vaccines are good for at least 9 months...a few months after, it might be "good for 1 year".

We shouldn't be jumping to conclusions. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lido - Lanai said:

Remember, the vaccine is not a 100% guarantee you can't pick up the virus (particularly a variant) in some port. I admit the chance of that happening is extremely slim, but all it will take is one person to bring it back onboard, and even if everyone else is vaccinated, you'll see chaos on the ship.

A coworker of mine, who has been fully vaccinated since February, just tested positive after his family came down with COVID.  He's a first responder so at this point, no one knows if he picked it up at work and spread it to them, or if they spread it to him.  The thinking is that they spread it to him because the jury is still out whether or not a vaccinated person can spread the virus.  

Either way, he's vaccinated with COVID.  The good news is, he has no symptoms.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

The six months limitation is only as far as they have scientific evidence, because the vaccine has only been around for a short time. In another couple of months you could easily hear the vaccines are good for at least 9 months...a few months after, it might be "good for 1 year".

We shouldn't be jumping to conclusions. 

We have what we have  .No crystal ball here .  what we do know is that the virus mutates . Thus ,it may be that a flu type yearly shot be administered ,if  the vaccines are proven to last one year, to protect us   .But ,we won't know until science tells us for certain . Still somewhat of a guessing game 

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

A coworker of mine, who has been fully vaccinated since February, just tested positive after his family came down with COVID.  He's a first responder so at this point, no one knows if he picked it up at work and spread it to them, or if they spread it to him.  The thinking is that they spread it to him because the jury is still out whether or not a vaccinated person can spread the virus.  

Either way, he's vaccinated with COVID.  The good news is, he has no symptoms.  

And that is the idea of the vaccine. You probably will not get it, but even if you do it will be extremely mild.

3 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Who wants to cruise   when freedoms care   limited  in common areas like the gym ,pool, jacuzzi ,sauna ,steam room ,if they even have them open  ?  Too many protocol sanctions will take away  the enjoyment of cruising  imo

Add the you can only leave the ship in their bubble excursions to that list.

11 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

The truth of the matter is  that people can get sick but being vaccinated prevents serious illness & death  .If the cruise line does over board with  very strict protocols they just may drive their recovery business away  & that could really  hit them hard  in the pocket book   . I can;t speak for others but ,in our case we have been shut in for so long that we want our freedoms back   & we are fully vaccinated   .Any harsh  protocols would be a turn off for us . We have alternatives like doing land trips  . I feel that the tourism industry is so hungry for business ,that they will bend ;because if they don't bend they will break 

We may be saying similar things  in a different approach 

Tell that to the fully vaccinated teacher in our school district who is now in hospital and on a Respirator. Too early for the victory lap.... 

17 hours ago, Lido - Lanai said:

The chance of serious illness is like 0% with vaccination and if there was a situation like that they can handle 1 person. Its handling a large group of seriously ill people that is the problem.  If the vaccinations prevent that then the cruise lines should be fine.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OmarOak said:

Tell that to the fully vaccinated teacher in our school district who is now in hospital and on a Respirator. Too early for the victory lap.... 

What you don't know is perhaps she has other  very serious  medical issues   .Because one person you know of is in  the hospital does not make  cruising with out masks dangerous   as long as the entire ship pax & crew have been vaccinated .  Now just think that a year from now in oder to cruise you have to wear masks  & you been vaccinated & had a booster shot . how inclined are you & others to continue cruises 

18 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Add the you can only leave the ship in their bubble excursions to that list.

Just imagine that no one has to wear masks outside  & here we go on a Hawaii cruise to all american ports & at the end of the cruise a short stop in  Ensenada Mexico  .  How could HAL say every one has to be on  HAL bubble tours .  Got to be  nuts to go on that cruise