CDC says no more masks for the vaccinated, so now what?

cruisestitch

1 minute ago, Denny01 said:

This whole thread has gone well off track, but I’ll have to respond to this:

WHAT!?!?! The Villages are 70% Hispanic?? Have you been there. I have for a meeting and that is just off, waaaaaay off.

Here is Wikipedia:

The Villages CDP was 98.3% White, 0.3% African American, 0.1% Native American, 0.8% Asian, 0.0% Pacific Islander, and 0.3% from two or more races. Hispanics or Latinos of any race made up 1.8% of the population.

Den

No!!!! Clearly you didn't read the post closely.  The graphic was for the second paragraph which it clearly stated. What I was disputing was the motivation for the vaccination priority for the two senior communities. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I believe he was discussing the other 55+ community that was an hour away?

I was thinking the same thing, don't know for sure, but that is what it seemed to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

No!!!! Clearly you didn't read the post closely.  The graphic was for the second paragraph which it clearly stated. What I was disputing was the motivation for the vaccination priority for the two senior communities. 

Yup, clearly. I’m an idiot!

Den

5 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Not an idiot. But did misinterpret my post.  Peace out. I'm getting a drink or two! 

A drink or two??  What a light weight but at least I will save a few dollars when I “buy” you an always included beverage!!

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

How many of those moving to the cooler mountains of NC were originally Northerners who didn't like the Republican Gov and conservative attitudes in FL or just simply couldn't take the heat?

There are some half-backs but the majority we have met have been long-time FL residents.  Who bought into the Western NC mystique.

53 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Oh oh busted the CC police have arrived 

Perhaps they should step in... I had bounced around across different topics... and after several pages on this thread... I did lose track of what was being discussed. Anyway NC is nice so is Florida.. but Florida can be a bit hot in the summer and there are those darn hurricanes....but east or west the coast is close.

The topic was about the new CDC revised guidelines about the vaccinated and masks and social distancing.  But there are about 5 other sideways and upside down topics going on too.  For me I am quite happy with the new CDC guidance.  

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Are you saying that there have been incidents of medical malpractice arising from Celebrity's use of doctors whose medical degrees were acquired from institutes in Mongolia? Or is it simply your distrust of all foreign doctors?

Yes. I had a throat infection on the Explorer of the Seas and went to the clinic. I gave the doctor my medical history...including info on my A-Fib. He gave a prescription that would have put my life in danger as I was told by my regular doctor to never use this medication. I did not take any of it. I probably should has raised a loud voice, but the clinic had many patients. The doctor was from Spain.

10 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

Uh.....??

(I think she said the quiet part out loud)

I had a prescription given to me from a Spanish doctor. I looked at it and it would have put my life in danger if taken. I dumped the drugs. I gave the doctor all my medical history and the drugs I was taking. He evidently did not know about the interaction of his prescription with the drugs I was taking. My own doctor said to never ever take the drug he prescribed. Uh....???...is right!

55 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

I read it.. Just wondering why he tossed the drugs instead of taking them. 

When did he dump the drugs ?? 

Before or after he spoke with his doctor? 

Did he speak with his doctor while still on the ship ?  

Maybe he emailed his doctor for a second opinion ?  

The drugs were taken home with me and disposed at home. I did not want anyone else on the ship to get a hold of them.

The cardiologist told me every time I went in for a checkup not to take this drug as it could have a serious reaction with the drugs I was taking.

See above.

See above.

41 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

WHEN DID HE KNOW THE DANGER?

When he was given the drugs?    If so why didn't he just tell the "Spanish" Doctor that there was a contraindication.?

Did he communicate with his doctor and then toss the drugs?

If I was allergic to a drug, and was given it by a "Spanish" Doctor I would question it at that time ?

If I was on a cruise and was given a drug by a "Spanish" Doctor would I confer with my regular physician at home first before taking it ?

I knew something was not right when my wife who was holding the drugs said 'wait a minute, somethings wrong'. That is when I saw what he had given me. The waiting room was packed with people at the time, including a woman who has just broken her arm. I was not going to make a scene with all those people there. There was no need to confer with my cardiologist as she had cautioned me many times at home about a serious drug reaction with this drug.  

I am not sure about everybody else, however,  I want to find out for myself what "showstoppers" there would be for my next cruise coming in Apr 22.

Mostly Vaccinated people on board--pretty much checked off as ok.

Masks not required, not quite there yet, but working in that direction--almost checked off

frequent on board testing--I can live with that

Looks like private non cruise line excursions allowed--check

I would like to see everybody on board have to provide a note from DR that the person is in pretty good condition, eg, only 1 or 2 co morbidities, but pretty robust. That, with being vaccinated,  would cut down on the magnitude, risk,  of a problem.

Which affects the "what if" there is an outbreak on board, an outbreak defined by CDC. which I think depending on the ship size, as I read last week which might be last weeks news, as few as 20-30.

IN that case, I believe the protocol is to end the cruise at nearest port that will accept them. Remember cruise lines have to have agreements with various ports ahead of time as to handle hte influx.

What if that nearest port is a smallish island, and the infrastructure to quarantine the passengers might be tight, and or flights out  for 1000-3000 people , or more, might be pretty lean.

Those with cruises soon, have to deal with that sooner than others,

and like others , I would like to see the travelers reviews on the first cruises. What went better than expected, what went worse.

But overall it looks like things are progressing with a bit more urgency than a month ago.

But its what we do not know, that can bite us in a hurry.

50 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

How did the doctor’s nationality impact you realizing you couldn’t take the drugs (while still in the medical center), and then not telling the doctor or any of the staff?

He was in a hurry and impolite....maybe too many patients...like the woman with the broken arm. He was not a good listener. He seemed he just wanted to get people out of his clinic. The wait to get into the clinic was over an hour. By the time we looked at the medication, he was off to another patient. I don't think making a scene in the clinic was a good idea. My experiences with US doctors has been that they are good listeners...it is their training. By the way, there were two doctors and two nurses on duty. 

One of the ladies at our dinner table had a bad reaction to some sunscreen she bought. She went to the clinic and got the other doctor...a Brit she thought...who was as she put it, 'a nice man'.

It seems a lot people are all hyped up about what I did with the drugs, why didn't I talk to the staff about the prescribed drug and the doctor was Spanish. The only thing I can say is when you go the ship's clinic, you expect first class attention to the medical details (past and current conditions, medications, allergies, etc.)  provided by the patient. Tragic mistakes can happened when the doctor is not aware or ignores possible drug interactions. I expected a better result than I got on the Explorer of the Seas.

Hopefully, I have answered all your questions.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Are you saying that there have been incidents of medical malpractice arising from Celebrity's use of doctors whose medical degrees were acquired from institutes in Mongolia? Or is it simply your distrust of all foreign doctors?

I just do not like incompetent doctors from anywhere on the planet. 

• Like 4

Thanks for your patience @baldilocks  I agree that your experience with this ship's doctor was less than satisfactory.  I assume the doctor's nationality is relevant to a communication problem and not anything sinister.  I have only had one occasion to visit a ship's doctor, and despite it happening on my least favorite cruise line (NCL) it was excellent.  Not only did the doctor treat me well, but in the course of our leisurely interaction we learned that we went to the same college at the same time (although we had never met there).  He was a highly skilled Emergency Room doctor (a great background for the random nature of patients on a ship) and after retirement was now dividing his time between serving as a volunteer doctor for the indigent and as a ship's doctor.  But the supply of such perfectly suited physicians must be much smaller than the number needed, so YMMV when visiting the medical office on a ship!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HMR74 said:

I am not sure about everybody else, however,  I want to find out for myself what "showstoppers" there would be for my next cruise coming in Apr 22.

I would like to see everybody on board have to provide a note from DR that the person is in pretty good condition, eg, only 1 or 2 co morbidities, but pretty robust. That, with being vaccinated,  would cut down on the magnitude, risk,  of a problem.

That is a non starter for me.  You're going to make every passenger pay for a doctor's visit to receive a permission slip? It is nobody's business, including the cruise line's, demanding private,  medical conditions.  Besides your criteria is very subjective.

If that's a deal breaker for you without it, I say fine. Your choice.

• Like 3