CDC says no more masks for the vaccinated, so now what?

cruisestitch

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

There must be nothing left for you to argue about.  If the the viral load is low that the CDC isn't worried, that's good enough for me.  Vaccinated people aren't a threat to anyone.  Period.

😂 contrary to you I am not arguing. And contrary to you I don’t write things in one post and claim I never did in another.😉

55 minutes ago, baldilocks said:

IMHO for sailing.

1. All cruise passengers (12 and up) shall be vaccinated or proven anti-bodies.

2. All ship's crew shall be vaccinated.

3. No mask wearing.

4. No social distancing.

5. Buffet to be served by crew (this also helps Noro virus transmission)

6. Updated ship's medical department (no more doctors from the University of Mongolia, etc.)

7. No ship's 'bubble' excursions except where the port stop itself requires it

Basically, cruising as it used to be....I hope....otherwise I'm not going.

Are you saying that there have been incidents of medical malpractice arising from Celebrity's use of doctors whose medical degrees were acquired from institutes in Mongolia? Or is it simply your distrust of all foreign doctors?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Are you saying that there have been incidents of medical malpractice arising from Celebrity's use of doctors whose medical degrees were acquired from institutes in Mongolia? Or is it simply your distrust of all foreign doctors?

That was kind of my take. We've had interactions a number of times with medical staff on cruise ships. 

Every single one foreign born. And every interaction stellar. 

In fact, in one such instance, a friend's life was likely saved when an onboard physician diagnosed an issue that had not been caught by his personal physician. And resulted in surgery shortly after returning home. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

• Must hold a diploma from an accredited school of medicine

• Minimum two-three years of formal post-graduate/ post-registration clinical training

• Board certification or equivalent in Emergency Medicine, Family Practice or Internal Medicine.

• Current certification as an ACLS Provider (Advanced Cardiac Life Support) or its equivalent, unless Board Certified in Emergency Medicine.

• ATLS (Trauma) Certificate and PALS (Paediatric) Certificate helpful, but not mandatory.

• Some experience or a willingness to learn simple laboratory and x-ray procedures.

• Current license, extensive experience with cardiac and primary care, trauma, internal, and emergency medicine.

• Excellent command of the English language required (both spoken and written)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Miaminice said:

show me one study which supports your claim that transmission is impossible! 

Well, there's this study from John Hopkins that says it's "highly unlikely".   LINK

Impossible.  Most likely not.  BUT it's as close as one can get.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

That was kind of my take. We've had interactions a number of times with medical staff on cruise ships. 

Every single one foreign born. And every interaction stellar. 

In fact, in one such instance, a friend's life was likely saved when an onboard physician diagnosed an issue that had not been caught by his personal physician. And resulted in surgery shortly after returning home. 

That has been our experience too. All foreign born and all highly competent.

4 minutes ago, boscobeans said:
  • Must hold a diploma from an accredited school of medicine

• Minimum two-three years of formal post-graduate/ post-registration clinical training

• Board certification or equivalent in Emergency Medicine, Family Practice or Internal Medicine.

• Current certification as an ACLS Provider (Advanced Cardiac Life Support) or its equivalent, unless Board Certified in Emergency Medicine.

• ATLS (Trauma) Certificate and PALS (Paediatric) Certificate helpful, but not mandatory.

• Some experience or a willingness to learn simple laboratory and x-ray procedures.

• Current license, extensive experience with cardiac and primary care, trauma, internal, and emergency medicine.

• Excellent command of the English language required (both spoken and written)

Thank you, I wasn't aware of the specific requirements but assumed that there would be stringent standards. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

Well, there's this study from John Hopkins that says it's "highly unlikely".   LINK

Impossible.  Most likely not.  BUT it's as close as one can get.

😉 Thanks, but you should have read the context. “Unlikely” confirms what I was saying. Ipeeinthepool claimed studies say “not possible” - which is why I was asking for a study underlining his statement.

But enough of that...

2 hours ago, harkinmr said:

Because not every passenger on an airplane or other public transportation may be vaccinated. How would the airlines referee such a circumstance? Rhetorical question. They couldn’t and shouldn’t be required to. 

So that is the core underlying message of the CDC change.  No referees needed.  So I agree with you that we couldn’t or shouldn’t referee.  The people vaccinated are protected from serious COVID.  They basically do not spread the virus to any extent to other vaccinated people.  The people who choose not to be vaccinated in a society like the USA when it is readily available are now on their own.  Their choice and their consequences.  If they choose not to mask it is their problem not my problem anymore. I do not need to mask as a vaccinated person in most situations now.  It will take some getting used to for a lot of us after being conditioned otherwise for over a year.

20 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Hopefully this will serve as a huge incentive for unvaccinated people to get vaccinated. 

I foresee the exact opposite happening. Both partially and unvaccinated might just simply jump on the bandwagon. Who's to know if the guy sitting next to you at a concert, show, etc. is vaccinated or not? It's a case of relative anonymity - much like social media. Imagine some sort of mandate whereby everyone who is unvaccinated has to go around wearing a yellow shirt, green for fully vaccinated, and blue for partially. Uh-huh. People will do what they will do. 

Really hate to be negative and hope I'm wrong, but...what's the incentive to do otherwise? IF our society, on the whole, WAS indeed more personally responsible - as you say - then, yeah, in such an unattainably 'perfect' society, one would hope that a lifting of mandates would indeed inspire those who aren't yet to get fully vaccinated, but such is not how things are - otherwise we wouldn't see these clinics, pharmacies, etc. practically begging people to come in. There's no excuse now, other than simply not wanting to do it. Cheating the system, bending or fudging the rules for one's personal gain, and so forth, is, unfortunately, an integral part of human nature. Wish it were otherwise. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

4 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

So that is the core underlying message of the CDC change.  No referees needed.  So I agree with you that we couldn’t or shouldn’t referee.  The people vaccinated are protected from serious COVID.  They basically do not spread the virus to any extent to other vaccinated people.  The people who choose not to be vaccinated in a society like the USA when it is readily available are now on their own.  Their choice and their consequences.  If they choose not to mask it is their problem not my problem anymore. I do not need to mask as a vaccinated person in most situations now.  It will take some getting used to for a lot of us after being conditioned otherwise for over a year.

I absolutely agree with you that it is a matter of choice and consequences for not being vaccinated.  I too become frustrated that I have worn a mask throughout this pandemic to help others, but may under some circumstances still be required to do so to protect those who will not protect themselves.  I guess at some point that decision needs to be made.  I'm just not sure when that may apply for public transportation.  

Edited by harkinmr

1 hour ago, baldilocks said:

IMHO for sailing.

1. All cruise passengers (12 and up) shall be vaccinated or proven anti-bodies.

2. All ship's crew shall be vaccinated.

3. No mask wearing.

4. No social distancing.

5. Buffet to be served by crew (this also helps Noro virus transmission)

6. Updated ship's medical department (no more doctors from the University of Mongolia, etc.)

7. No ship's 'bubble' excursions except where the port stop itself requires it

Basically, cruising as it used to be....I hope....otherwise I'm not going.

Not so sure about all seven?

Yes, the new CDC guidance is great and will lower the formerly stringent requirements, but we don't know yet about "all masking" being done away with.  Also, social distancing may still be a factor.  We shall see.

RE: Vaccinated or not vaccinated. and being allowed into certain venues. My daughter knows of someone who is currently selling fake vaccine ID cards. Let us all just pray that we are as protected as promised. 

This will be the new problem and I certainly do not trust the many who will now be maskless to be honest. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

RE: Vaccinated or not vaccinated. and being allowed into certain venues. My daughter knows of someone who is currently selling fake vaccine ID cards. Let us all just pray that we are as protected as promised. 

This will be the new problem and I certainly do not trust the many who will now be maskless to be honest. 

I agree, also shame on the "buyers" of those cards.  I am very happy the mask mandates are being lifted, but I will still totally respect individual businesses decisions as it pertains to them.  I can then make the decision of whether or not to use that business.  Had dinner last night at a very small local restaurant that I used to go to 2x/week pre-pandemic, but still continued to support them by ordering take out 2x/week.  Wore my mask to the table, had it off during the entirety of dinner, felt liberated, and they made sure I had what we used to call my "regular" table! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Miaminice said:

😂 contrary to you I am not arguing. And contrary to you I don’t write things in one post and claim I never did in another.😉

Finding the word impossible will be impossible.

Maybe you're reading between the lines.  The word "impossible" isn't there

Edited by ipeeinthepool

5 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I agree, also shame on the "buyers" of those cards.  I am very happy the mask mandates are being lifted, but I will still totally respect individual businesses decisions as it pertains to them.  I can then make the decision of whether or not to use that business.  Had dinner last night at a very small local restaurant that I used to go to 2x/week pre-pandemic, but still continued to support them by ordering take out 2x/week.  Wore my mask to the table, had it off during the entirety of dinner, felt liberated, and they made sure I had what we used to call my "regular" table! 

Agree. None of us want to wear the mask but if it is called for, I do it. I also do not have to frequent those places if I choose not to. I posted earlier about a concert venue where I live that will make vaccine cards mandatory. This is where I see the fake ID cards coming into play. This is a venue where 300 to 400 people attend indoors with a bar scene too. How are they going to monitor the fake cards vs real ones? It will be a mess.

6 hours ago, Miaminice said:

First of all, there is already an updated order! You might want to stick to your own advice and read it.
Second "while eating or drinking" means the time required for a regular meal without lingering at the table (extended meal service). So the rule reflects exactly what is already happening - which as mentioned happens under regulations with almost identical wording. You might also want to read them before dismissing them.

Third, the CDC already stated that they are looking at the practical experiences made on the mentioned cruise lines. So they are not irrelevant at all 😉 

Of course if your desire is to keep on whining and bashing, please feel free to stay inside the little box...
we prefer a pragmatic look at facts and reality - incl. at what´s happening outside of the US. 

Please post where they changed the requirement on dining so that you could do as you do on land.  I didn't read it that way, and I'd be happy to see that my interpretation was wrong.

And, I'd like to point out that the first bash was yours. You don't know me. You could have just said that I had wrong information.  You chose to insult me, so don't be surprised when I respond. 

Have a nice day.

3 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Agree. None of us want to wear the mask but if it is called for, I do it. I also do not have to frequent those places if I choose not to. I posted earlier about a concert venue where I live that will make vaccine cards mandatory. This is where I see the fake ID cards coming into play. This is a venue where 300 to 400 people attend indoors with a bar scene too. How are they going to monitor the fake cards vs real ones? It will be a mess.

Changing the subject just a bit, but as you are in Colorado and mention concerts...several years ago I went from San Diego to see our Queen and National Treasure, Dolly Parton, in concert at Red Rocks, OMG what a venue!!!

22 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

So what’s new about that?  Currently MA hasn’t adopted the new CDC mask policy so for now nothing has changed.  Of course you may not have been as comfortable before yesterday’s announcement.

Edited by Oville

4 minutes ago, Oville said:

So what’s new about that?  Currently MA hasn’t adopted the new CDC mask policy so for now nothing has changed.  Of course you may not have been as comfortable before yesterday’s announcement.

It WAS new for me, thank you for inquiring.

18 hours ago, LGW59 said:

at least the people who actually LIVE in FL are actually LIVING their lives.  

Not really many still wear masks and stores and restaurants require them. That will change for some I am sure. Many people don't do what the FL governor says. We do what makes sense for our situation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Changing the subject just a bit, but as you are in Colorado and mention concerts...several years ago I went from San Diego to see our Queen and National Treasure, Dolly Parton, in concert at Red Rocks, OMG what a venue!!!

The best venue for a concert and fabulous acoustics.

16 hours ago, Dwight1 said:

The full story is even if you get the virus after vaccination you will not get very sick snd you do not have enough of the virus to pass it on to someone else. That per the two medical  experts on CNN.

Which means you really do not have to worry.

14 hours ago, medtech71 said:

Huh?  So, people shouldn’t be allowed on cruises unvaccinated, except the loved ones who can’t, and you need to be vaccinated to help them?

1. Vaccinated people can still get sick.

2.  Vaccinated people can still transmit to others.

3.  See 1 & 2.

Look at the science. No you can't transmit and you MIGHT get sick like a cold.