CDC says no more masks for the vaccinated, so now what?

cruisestitch

20 minutes ago, ch175 said:

Is there evidence that masks do anything to slow the spread of COVID? There’s over a year of data now. States with mandates, states without. States that had no mandate, then did, then took it away. I don’t see much difference when actually looking at real world data.

Yes.  See above.  And the "they don't help" tends to be the response of the anti-maskers. 

Edited by abbydancer
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, jgmorgan said:

Perhaps I misunderstood what your original post meant.  I thought you were inferring that mask wearing has been shown to be ineffective; you may have just been wondering whether there is any data on the topic.  Here is the first para of the JAMA article you linked to...  Edit:  Oops, I see you aren’t the same poster.

Prior to the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic, the efficacy of community mask wearing to reduce the spread of respiratory infections was controversial because there were no solid relevant data to support their use. During the pandemic, the scientific evidence has increased. Compelling data now demonstrate that community mask wearing is an effective nonpharmacologic intervention to reduce the spread of this infection, especially as source control to prevent spread from infected persons, but also as protection to reduce wearers’ exposure to infection.

Edited by d9704011
  • Thanks 1

We're booked for an Edge, Nov 6, 2021 cruise. We hope the cruise happens. More than that, I hope that if it does, everyone who boards the ship will simply abide by whatever regulations are in place at that time. What I truly do not want, is to have to listen to fellow passengers grouse, moan, whine, or complain about having to follow whatever the rules are for the entire 8 night voyage. So I beg you, if you decide to board any cruise, simply accept what is required and make the best of it. If don't think you can do that, please consider spending your time and money in some other way so that you don't spoil the trip for those who are committed to simply enjoying themselves. Please. Begging.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Where is this data?  I don’t suppose you could consolidate it and make it available for all of us?  Also, how would we know what might have happened if people had not worn masks?

Real time data/fact:  walking down the street in PTOWN, easily more than 90% no mask, YAY!  We had to go to CVS for a few things, at the pharmacy there were 7 people in process of being vaccinated (shot 1 or 2) I have no clue and every single one of them was very clearly under 30 years old.  Scientific link to any damn article or publication, no, real time from my own eyes.  Now we are headed to the pub for a Stella!

4 hours ago, TeeRick said:

What is happening in your state and locality?

We just got back to Orlando from Charleston SC last night, so I don’t know what’s happening here yet. In Charleston, grocery store, pet store, and restaurant were still requiring masks. Once we were seated outside, no one wore masks.

I still will carry a mask, and likely use it inside during flu season. I’m also thinking about wearing it outside during the worst of allergy season. My allergy symptoms were so much better last year and this year. One of the reasons I love sea days — no pollen!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TeeRick said:

So the CDC has changed guidelines by following the science and saying the fully vaccinated do not need to wear masks in most indoor and outdoor situations.   In my state (PA) the governor has said that we will follow the new CDC guidelines immediately for the fully vaccinated.   He has decided that masks will be required for everybody else (non-vaccinated) until the state reaches 70% fully vaccinated.  We are at 45% but the rate has very much slowed down.  So get vaccinated and ditch the mask!  Also PA is removing other COVID restrictions like reduced capacity dining after Memorial Day.   In my normal trips around to grocery store, church, etc. everybody still seems to have a mask on.  I think nobody quite believes the change.  Wonder how long it will take for vaccinated people to remove masks?

From what I read on the CDC website, the vaccinations have slowed all over the country.  For those over 65 vaccinating this more at risk age group has been a huge success, with 85% receiving one dose and 73% fully vaccinated.  For over 18, the numbers are almost 60% first dose and 47% fully vaccinated. 

I have read that half of health care workers are opting out of vaccinations.   

Also, from feedback of many that I talk to, many young people are opting out because they don't feel the risk of catching COVID19 is significant.  

Perhaps it is because there have been some vaccinated persons have died or suffered serious reactions:

Serious Adverse Events

Serious adverse events were defined as any untoward medical occurrence that resulted in death, was life-threatening, required inpatient hospitalization or prolongation of existing hospitalization, or resulted in persistent disability/incapacity. The proportions of participants who reported at least 1 serious adverse event were 0.6% in the vaccine group and 0.5% in the placebo group. The most common serious adverse events in the vaccine group which were numerically higher than in the placebo group were appendicitis (7 in vaccine vs 2 in placebo), acute myocardial infarction (3 vs 0), and cerebrovascular accident (3 vs 1). Cardiovascular serious adverse events were balanced between vaccine and placebo groups. Two serious adverse events were considered by U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as possibly related to vaccine: shoulder injury possibly related to vaccine administration or to the vaccine itself, and lymphadenopathy involving the axilla contralateral to the vaccine injection site. Otherwise, occurrence of severe adverse events involving system organ classes and specific preferred terms were balanced between vaccine and placebo groups.

My view is that vaccination is safer than non-vaccination.   

I know that people that love to travel and cruise are more likely to get vaccinated.

4 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Wonder how long it will take for vaccinated people to remove masks?

We have had both shots since February we still wear masks when out and about.. Really we want to see the ramifications people may incur once a majority of society begins to unmask, if nothing major in upticks occur we will feel more comfortable unmasking and getting back to basics!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

About 2 seconds for me.

The day it was announced outside we went, me and my dog, nice long stroll through the neighborhood.  Still keep a mask in my pocket, if I need to step inside a business that requires it, I do.

On 5/14/2021 at 4:59 AM, ipeeinthepool said:

Number 1 is true, but it will be a mild case and you might not know you contracted Covid unless you are tested.

Number 2 is false.  Studies have shown that even if your contract a breakthrough case of Covid, the viral load is so low you won’t infect others.  

#2 is correct.  There is shedding of the virus with "vaccinated" patients.  Happens with all vaccines where the vaccinated can transmit the virus to an unvaccinated person.   

2 minutes ago, wallysdtr said:

#2 is correct.  There is shedding of the virus with "vaccinated" patients.  Happens with all vaccines where the vaccinated can transmit the virus to an unvaccinated person.   

No 1 is also correct.  I have two friends who both test positive Between shots 1 and 2 and neither had any symptoms at all.  Only reason they had to be tested was both their respective partners had been exposed.  Again zero symptoms and would never had known they had it without the test.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TeeRick said:

When I hear this question, these two charts come to mind. Every morning I look at them just to see how things are going. In the case of my state, Alabama, the first chart which displays the percentage of folks fully vaccinated shows that we're pretty much hovering around last or second to last when compared to other states. Note: You'll need to go down about half way to see the US map with all the states listed.

More Than 1.45 Billion Shots Given: Covid-19 Vaccine Tracker (bloomberg.com)

Then, this second one shows the daily 7 day moving average of new COVID infections in each state. Alabama was looking good until a few days ago

Have we flattened the curve in the US? - Johns Hopkins (jhu.edu)

But, if you're really interested in finding out what's happening in your state, check out these two links. As far as my family is concerned we're all vaccinated now and that's a big relief. What other folks do is on them. We just want to go cruising again and sure are excited that Celebrity is going for the 95%/98% vaccinated option.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, wallysdtr said:

Nope.  CDC says the viral load is so low if there is a breakthrough case with an asymptomatic person, that person won't infect anyone.  If a breakthrough case has symptoms, then they could infect others and they should take measure to protect others.  

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We just want to go cruising again and sure are excited that Celebrity is going for the 95%/98% vaccinated option

Do you have a link to any announcement of this for sailings other than the startup ones from home ports outside the US?

I'm hoping they take the vaccinated route (would prefer 100%) for all sailings for the foreseeable future and only change that policy prior to final payment for later cruises.

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Nope.  CDC says the viral load is so low if there is a breakthrough case with an asymptomatic person, that person won't infect anyone.  If a breakthrough case has symptoms, then they could infect others and they should take measure to protect others.  

Not quite.  The best paper on the subject looking at the Pfizer vaccine does show a reduction in viral load during the studied period 12-37 days.  However, as of this time there is no definitive viral level for transmission. 

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-021-01316-7

Since there are documented cases of transmission from a vaccinated individual risk for transmission is decreased, but not eliminated.  Another study has indicated that transmission was reduced by 94% with the Pfizer vaccine when dealing with the original strain and B.117.  

No data on transmission with some of the newer strains such as B.1.671 is available.  However there are documented cases of transmission both to and from vaccinated individuals with that strain in Singapore where the vaccines used were Pfizer and Moderna

It is interesting how some people disparage the CDC when it does something they do not like, but then quickly references them as a source when they are in favor of the position.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, nocl said:

Not quite.  The best paper on the subject looking at the Pfizer vaccine does show a reduction in viral load during the studied period 12-37 days.  However, as of this time there is no definitive viral level for transmission. 

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-021-01316-7

Since there are documented cases of transmission from a vaccinated individual risk for transmission is decreased, but not eliminated.  Another study has indicated that transmission was reduced by 94% with the Pfizer vaccine when dealing with the original strain and B.117.  

No data on transmission with some of the newer strains such as B.1.671 is available.  However there are documented cases of transmission both to and from vaccinated individuals with that strain in Singapore where the vaccines used were Pfizer and Moderna

It is interesting how some people disparage the CDC when it does something they do not like, but then quickly references them as a source when they are in favor of the position.

The experts that you have put so much faith in, have said there are no documented cases of asymptomatic people transmitting the disease to anyone.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, nocl said:

This.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

The experts that you have put so much faith in, have said there are no documented cases of asymptomatic people transmitting the disease to anyone.

Do you have a link to that statement or the data?

50 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Do you have a link to any announcement of this for sailings other than the startup ones from home ports outside the US?

I'm hoping they take the vaccinated route (would prefer 100%) for all sailings for the foreseeable future and only change that policy prior to final payment for later cruises.

Unfortunately not, other that what we know about the Celebrity non US startup cruises in St Maarten and Athens with regards to their 95% vaccination requirements. Hopefully, they'll submit their Phase 2A plans to the CDC for their initial US port startup cruise ships in the next week or two so well finally know whether or not they'll be able to offer restricted sailings in July. 

3 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

They have been all over the network news the last few days, I'm sure you can find them.

the media has a habit of grabbing data out of context.  thus the search for the original statement with full context.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

The Director in the White House briefing a couple of days ago stated

Finally, we know that in the rare event that people get infected after a vaccine, the resulting infection is more likely to have a lower viral load, be shorter in duration, and likely less risky of transmission to others.

Which is a far cry from what you stated and is in agreement with the data.

I have just done a number of searches concerning CDC and transmission by vaccinated individuals and cannot find any reference to the comments you indicated are all over the news.

Edited by nocl