Corkage fee going up from $15 to $20

CineGraphic

In the new passage contract, found here:

https://static.cdn.responsys.net/i2/responsysimages/content/princessus/PassageContract.pdf?cid=brand_email_info_internal_newsletter_agentnews_se1ms048_210524_&eccn=&rrid=00132928&mi_u=00132928

The corkage fee for anyone bringing more than 2 bottles of wine on board (1 per adult), the new corkage fee will be $20

At this point, I do not know when the higher fee will kick in. I just checked the contracts on our current bookings, and they still show the $15 fee.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Kinda expected that since, implicated in serious environmental crimes, Princess revealed steps they were taking to show they found an environmental conscience ... straws, plastic bottles, etc

It would have been hypocritical for Princess to allow passengers to bring stuff that the company no longer provides

• Like 2

what ! ... damn that's it , I'm out. I can't take this anymore, this needless nickel and diming of me, do they think I'm made of monopoly money. I didn't spend thousands of dollars on a cruise just to be manipulated and sucked dry.  I'm certainly not going to pay twenty dollars for corkage fee on my three hundred dollar bottle of 17' Lafite Rothchild Carruades, that's just absurd ! I will have a nervous break down should I decide to take a case or two aboard. 

This certainly brings things to light, for now I know they are on to me.  I see myself scheming a new angle so as not to be takin for a ingrate unwilling to pay my fair share.  Perhaps if I don khakis and a loose button down shirt on formal night I may be able to smuggle my 2019 Estancia.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

57 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

..... I just checked the contracts on our current bookings, and they still show the $15 fee.

My current bookings [6 from this August to March 2023] also show $15. I'm still bringing 2 bottles onboard and as a solo, I'll pay for the 2nd one. At least I'll have 8 glasses of my favorite 

@c-boy 😅🤣🤣🤑

Edited by Ombud

1 minute ago, Ombud said:

Do you know if we will be grandfathered in? 

I'm pretty sure that the terms of the contract can be changed at any time, and if they are going to add the Covid risk statements, I'm sure they'll add the corkage fee increase and new terms about bringing soda on board, as well.

• Like 1

If you read the contract it states Princess may change without prior notice.   This is taken from the contracts signed for our upcoming cruises.  No issues.

A corkage fee of $15.00 U.S.D. per bottle (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to wine and champagne brought aboard by You and consumed in the ship’s public areas. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Nonetheless I'll pay

As will I......but for our 1st cruise in November, we've decided to not bring anything on board with us, as this will be the first time that we've had the beverage package.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

I'm pretty sure that the terms of the contract can be changed at any time, and if they are going to add the Covid risk statements, I'm sure they'll add the corkage fee increase and new terms about bringing soda on board, as well.

I was going to click "like" as an affirmation that I agree.  I agree, but I don't like it.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, 2 cruises a year said:

I was going to click "like" as an affirmation that I agree.  I agree, but I don't like it.

Yes, I was thinking same thing.  I clicked "like" for the comment, but I don't like the fact that terms can change at their whim.  But, it doesn't matter much - the old fee was in place for many years without an increase.  I have never run into that low a price at a land restaurant.  And if they are going to increase, it's coming either one cruise or the next. 

I guess I might re-evaluate the PLUS package.  Probably still not worth it to me if bringing on wine.  I have also had some nice waiters who do not charge every single new bottle on a long voyage.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2021 at 6:56 PM, Ombud said:

If they only charge me $20 corkage for my favorite (sandemans 20 year tawny port) I'm happy. Must be quiet when boarding or they seem to like/ take it

Most ports have a higher alcohol level than is permitted for wine. They are considered "fortified wines"

Yeah ..... 1 was really really bad & had just 1 bottle in luggage so did not have to stop at that table. 1 bottle = 6 after dinner drinks = I'm a light-weight

I noticed something interesting.  It says up to 750ml. I often take several 350ml onboard so I'll have a variety. Maybe toss 2 mini champagnes (175ml) into the mix. Guess that's also out. Will book Princess+ in the future but won't change now as those w/o a lot of OBC have spiked (1 up 50%)

On 5/24/2021 at 9:56 PM, Ombud said:

If they only charge me $20 corkage for my favorite (sandemans 20 year tawny port) I'm happy. Must be quiet when boarding or they seem to like/ take it

Doesn't this have an alcohol content of around 20%. It is fortified. Fortified wines are not permitted to be brought on board, corkage or no corkage. 

1 hour ago, azbirdmom said:

It's official - the new passage contract is on the Princess website and includes the new corkage fee as well as other changes that were in the draft document:  https://book.princess.com/cruisepersonalizer/documents.page

Clicking on that link opens a Princess window stating there’s an error processing the request…is this from a reservation in your Cruise Personalizer?

Pertinent section:

"

• A US $20.00 corkage fee (which is subject to change without notice) will apply to each additional bottle (750 mL in volume or less) beyond the one-bottle per Guest per Voyage allowance. Limitations apply, and wine brought in quantities deemed to be excessive by the vessel or security will be refused.
  • Guests are also prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages on board that are packaged in bottles. A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought on board on embarkation day, only if carried on in Guests’ hand luggage (not in checked luggage). A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.  Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding."

49 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Clicking on that link opens a Princess window stating there’s an error processing the request…is this from a reservation in your Cruise Personalizer?

Whoops, it is.  If you log into Princess and then click on the link from my post it should work.  Sorry about that.  The Passage Contract is apparently different for different voyages so there isn't a generic link that would have the new verbiage.  If that doesn't work, I can print to PDF and post here.

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

Pertinent section:

"

• A US $20.00 corkage fee (which is subject to change without notice) will apply to each additional bottle (750 mL in volume or less) beyond the one-bottle per Guest per Voyage allowance. Limitations apply, and wine brought in quantities deemed to be excessive by the vessel or security will be refused.
  • Guests are also prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages on board that are packaged in bottles. A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought on board on embarkation day, only if carried on in Guests’ hand luggage (not in checked luggage). A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.  Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding."

Forgot to mention (too late to edit) this is on my new 8/15/21 Alaska cruise. So yes, its updated. Also I can still buy water but I must prepay (no change there) and I wonder if that will also cancel out. No matter, I'm loving my new infuser water bottle. 

13 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Forgot to mention (too late to edit) this is on my new 8/15/21 Alaska cruise. So yes, its updated. Also I can still buy water but I must prepay (no change there) and I wonder if that will also cancel out. No matter, I'm loving my new infuser water bottle. 

I noticed it on all four of my upcoming cruises.  I also purchased a 12 pack of water for Alaska.  And yes I know that with Plus I get them as part of the package but $7 is a small price to pay for having water in the room when I want it.  🙂

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

I noticed it on all four of my upcoming cruises.  I also purchased a 12 pack of water for Alaska.  And yes I know that with Plus I get them as part of the package but $7 is a small price to pay for having water in the room when I want it.  🙂

I'll continue to drink the water out of the tap for free!

• Like 1