Requirement to use Medallion App

gvre

4 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

Right now they are saying no smart phone no cruise!!

They have taken away the ability to check in on line on a computer or tablet

You MUST use the app!  Many of us have complained about this!

We shall see how it is finally resolved

This is the only business I know of that requires use of an app to access the business

It also works on and IPad, Touch and Mac.  Check with app to see the requirements. 

24 minutes ago, kiwimum said:

It also works on and IPad, Touch and Mac.  Check with app to see the requirements. 

Forgive me for not being clear

You cannot check in on the Princess web site as we have always done

You MUST have a device which can download an app

They are forcing u s to use an app to check in

I hate feeling coerced by a company I thought I loved

• Like 6

3 hours ago, beaglesandducks said:

I believe you cannot print luggage tags until full payment has been made and you are less than 75 days out from departure

3 hours ago, memoak said:

How would that help with a boarding pass. Or are they just saying no smart phone no cruise

3 hours ago, riffatsea said:

This is the only business I know of that requires use of an app to access the business

If you are not paid and ready to sail, no luggage tags.  It could be an alternate proof to get you by the door monitor if necessary.  Have passport in hand as photo id.  Also have travel summary which indicates your booking for the cruise and cabin assignment.  Ha to be work-arounds here.  I imagine Princess will eventually announce something official.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, casofilia said:

I have NO need for a Smart phone for my day to day living.   Why should I have to buy one solely so I can cruise on Princess?

Agreed.  You should have an alternative to cruise and those of us that want all the fancy doo-dad options in the app can play away with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, casofilia said:

I have NO need for a Smart phone for my day to day living.   Why should I have to buy one solely so I can cruise on Princess?

I used the contact us link on Princess website to tell them this and asked what is their solution to this. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@Steelers36

Thanks.   Similarly we want to cruise as cheaply as possible to meet people and see places so go Inside.   Those who want more can pay for a Suite.

We book Insides almost every time.  Don't need to be in a Suite to enjoy all the MC App features.  I am really looking forward to using more of it on our next cruise and expect the bugs fixed by then and perhaps more functionality.

@dog

I used the contact us link on Princess website to tell them this and asked what is their solution to this. 

I emailed my PCC in Sydney with this question.   She phoned back telling me would look into it and said she would email me back.   I am NOT holding my breath!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dog said:

In the webinar, the VP of Sales said the solution is to ask your grandchild to do it for you on his/her smart phone.

• Haha 1

@caribill

In the webinar, the VP of Sales said the solution is to ask your grandchild to do it for you on his/her smart phone.

Webinar?   I have no idea what he is talking about.   And I don't think a great deal of his suggestion.   I can see he is trying to be "smart"!!!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, casofilia said:

@caribill

Webinar?   I have no idea what he is talking about.   And I don't think a great deal of his suggestion.   I can see he is trying to be "smart"!!!

yes! Not considerate at all. 

I’d be interested in the answer to how they will deal with internet outage at the terminal on boarding day?

will the Medallion/ internet work efficiently when power goes down? 

6 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

If you are not paid and ready to sail, no luggage tags.  It could be an alternate proof to get you by the door monitor if necessary.  Have passport in hand as photo id.  Also have travel summary which indicates your booking for the cruise and cabin assignment.  Ha to be work-arounds here.  I imagine Princess will eventually announce something official.

I think Princess is asking people to print and bring their travel summary to the pier as a backup in case MedallionClass goes wonky and implodes ... even Princess understands what could happen if all goes poof.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

I think Princess is asking people to print and bring their travel summary to the pier as a backup in case MedallionClass goes wonky and implodes ... even Princess understands what could happen if all goes poof.

But what to do if you can't get on at all to print out luggage tags, etc?  Which brings up another question:  in the past I went on Personalizer and put in my own information as well as my husbands.  (he does not have a separate account).  So, is the Medallion app set up in the same manner or does he have to buy a new smart phone and have a separate account?

3 minutes ago, Jemnibabe said:

But what to do if you can't get on at all to print out luggage tags, etc?  Which brings up another question:  in the past I went on Personalizer and put in my own information as well as my husbands.  (he does not have a separate account).  So, is the Medallion app set up in the same manner or does he have to buy a new smart phone and have a separate account?

Luggage tag printing ... if Princess expects pax to use the app for virtually everything else, they ought to equip their piers with terminals similar to those used at airports ... and, using the app and that terminal, pax can print their own tags before handing bags to the longshoremen, or perhaps to robots.  

Not sure how the app might accommodate your phoneless spouse's info ... maybe Princess hasn't gotten that far yet.  Or perhaps he will need his own acct and you put his info into your app.  Don't know ... but, personally, I would not be buying a smartphone at any price just to cruise a psrticular line!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pms4104 said:

I'll just do a screenshot. As long as I have a QR code I should be OK 

I am so glad our next Princess cruise is not until March.  I think anyone over the age of 70 should not have to use the Medallion app.  I muddled thru it on our last 2 cruises using one iPad app for the 2 of us.  We even got the passports in after much cussing and a few tantrums.  Now my online Princess account is fine.  However the app thinks my husband is me and he is unisex.  I never knew that about him.  We are in our 80s  and would like to cruise a few more times but it is really getting frustrating.  Princess needs to show some consideration for those who were born even before TV.   We have experiences many changes and do not need more useless new challenges.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, riffatsea said:

I just read the CC article that arrived in my inbox about the first Celebrity cruise that sailed. All check-in was done with a smart phone. Those that didn't have a smart phone had to stand in a different line to get boarding info done.

Sounds like a version of the Medallion...not mandatory, but makes life easier at check-in (if it works). I wonder how Celebrity got it done and Princess can't seem to do it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mustgo said:

....  I think anyone over the age of 70 should not have to use the Medallion app...... We are in our 80s  ....

Please don't generalize about seniors being unable to adapt. My 90s mom was able to use it until she passed. My 70s sister has no issue. Yet I still run into 50s (women*) who cannot write a check, balance a checkbook, budget, understand investing. Some just don't get tech. Perhaps TAs should be given back the ability to do all the hand holding some require

*yeah, yeah. It's not a gender or age thing

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, caribill said:

You need the app at the dock to check in so having someone else fill in the app in not good.

Your late mom did not have to use the current Princess app.   As I said, I did learn to use the last one.  I am not criticizing all seniors over 70.  I am simply suggesting that there be an option for those who cannot or choose not to use the app.  I am also criticizing Princess for an app that combines me and my husband into one unisex individual.  Please reread my post.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kiwimum said:

What they may be hinting at is the use of a Tracelet, a tracking device used for contact tracing.   Royal Caribbean indicated they would be using them and if a guest did not agree to wear it they would be denied boarding.  
https://www.royalcaribbean.com/sgp/en/faq/questions/what-is-a-tracelet

Tracelets can be scanned very quickly if contact tracing is needed.

Why would they need yet another doo-dad when the Medallion can provide that same function?

• Like 2