Edge..shorts in the dining room

pugsammy

I think shorts in a dining room for dinner is, not only breaking the rules, but disrespectful towards other passengers.

There are plenty of other areas to eat whilst wearing shorts so go there instead.

Edited by swjumbo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have seen the occasional guest wearing shorts in the MDR and in Luminae. I have also seen a number of reports here about people in shorts being turned away. It’s not part of the dress code so while you might get lucky and get seated you might also be turned away and asked to put trousers on if you want to dine there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's the good news.  The formal nights are now evening chic...which means even high end jeans are ok.  I dress (this is Marie's DH speaking) in slacks and an untucked shirt evening chic or not and never get a look.  I'm not quite sure what evening chic means, after 15 cruises where it was en vogue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swjumbo said:

I think shorts in a dining room for dinner is, not only breaking the rules, but disrespectful towards other passengers.

There are plenty of other areas to eat whilst wearing shorts so go there instead.

I think that's why the OP posed the question, so as not to offend.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A dress code thread! 😃

Some sense of normal is returning to CC!

Apologies to the OP, but you did get an answer, which is no for dinner. Enjoy your cruise!

It's been awhile...

• Like 13
  • Haha 3

Funny story. We were on a Celebrity ship docked in Bermuda.  While waiting for our table a party of maybe 6-8 people showed up and one was wearing nice Bermuda shorts along with knee socks which is acceptable dress in Bermuda for business attire.  The group went crazy laughing and it was wonderful.  Until the Celebrity person said he could not wear shorts in the MDR and he had to leave and return in pants.  After all, it was Bermuda!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, dazey said:

Funny story. We were on a Celebrity ship docked in Bermuda.  While waiting for our table a party of maybe 6-8 people showed up and one was wearing nice Bermuda shorts along with knee socks which is acceptable dress in Bermuda for business attire.  The group went crazy laughing and it was wonderful.  Until the Celebrity person said he could not wear shorts in the MDR and he had to leave and return in pants.  After all, it was Bermuda!

A gentleman dressed in Bermuda shorts in this manner gets thrown out, but someone wearing jeans is fine. Go figure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swjumbo said:

I do like to be moderately dressed in Luminae or MDR, I have though always wondered why folks it feels it is disrespectful to them.  Are you spending your dinner time watching them or are you eating and conversing?.  Really, how does it have an impact your dinner with your SO or other diners?

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

A gentleman dressed in Bermuda shorts in this manner gets thrown out, but someone wearing jeans is fine. Go figure.

The police in Bermuda dress in this manner, it is quite dapper IMO

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

The police in Bermuda dress in this manner, it is quite dapper IMO

Yep. Bermuda shorts with knee socks, dress shoes, a dress shirt, and a jacket and tie are still considered appropriate business wear on the island. Apparently inherited from the British Army in the early 20th century. It's a great look for someone who can pull it off! (Or is willing and able to buy it bespoke so it fits regardless.) If the Mayor of Hamilton were to come on the ship (and were male; the current one apparently is), I'd expect that to be his dress...

And the British Army (and the US Army to a lesser extent) had service uniforms that included shorts, probably up to if not after WWII. 

58 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

No kidding. I don't understand the thing about jeans needing to be worn for dinner, designer or not. They are still jeans.

That said, I do see this as part of the failure of each generation that feels IT NEEDS TO BE the generation that 'relaxes' stodgy old culture to make things easier or more comfortable.

Oddly enough I've lived through the suffering of dressing nicely, including slacks, tie, dress shirt, and sport/suit jacket all these years and I've never once had to wear jeans of any sort to feel more comfortable.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, K12Guy said:

No kidding. I don't understand the thing about jeans needing to be worn for dinner, designer or not. They are still jeans.

That said, I do see this as part of the failure of each generation that feels IT NEEDS TO BE the generation that 'relaxes' stodgy old culture to make things easier or more comfortable.

Oddly enough I've lived through the suffering of dressing nicely, including slacks, tie, dress shirt, and sport/suit jacket all these years and I've never once had to wear jeans of any sort to feel more comfortable.

Perhaps we should go back to Elvis being shown only from the waist up.  Dang those swiveling hips.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I do like to be moderately dressed in Luminae or MDR, I have though always wondered why folks it feels it is disrespectful to them.  Are you spending your dinner time watching them or are you eating and conversing?.  Really, how does it have an impact your dinner with your SO or other diners?

I'm way beyond arguing the point of dress codes. Not sure if I feel it is "disrespectful", but to answer your last questions, why shouldn't aesthetics matter?  

• Would you rather look at a lovely painting or a cracked and grease-spattered wall?
  • Would you appreciate a gourmet dish more if it was carefully composed on a lovely porcelain plate or if it was just tossed onto a paper plate?
  • If the hotel manager asked you whether you would prefer a view of the ocean or a view of the dumpster, which would you choose?

If these are allowed to matter to us, then why shouldn't seeing someone who is not well dressed or well groomed matter?  I can eat and converse and still have opportunities to look around the dining room -- otherwise, why do they decorate it so nicely?

Some cultures are brought up to be much more in tune with aesthetics. I think the saying that "You eat first with your eyes" originated in China.

And yet for some reason we are supposed to pretend that the appearance of others doesn't matter or makes no difference. It's a bit of a disconnect for me.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm way beyond arguing the point of dress codes. Not sure if I feel it is "disrespectful", but to answer your last questions, why shouldn't aesthetics matter?  

• Would you rather look at a lovely painting or a cracked and grease-spattered wall?
  • Would you appreciate a gourmet dish more if it was carefully composed on a lovely porcelain plate or if it was just tossed onto a paper plate?
  • If the hotel manager asked you whether you would prefer a view of the ocean or a view of the dumpster, which would you choose?

If these are allowed to matter to us, then why shouldn't seeing someone who is not well dressed or well groomed matter?  I can eat and converse and still have opportunities to look around the dining room -- otherwise, why do they decorate it so nicely?

Some cultures are brought up to be much more in tune with aesthetics. I think the saying that "You eat first with your eyes" originated in China.

And yet for some reason we are supposed to pretend that the appearance of others doesn't matter or makes no difference. It's a bit of a disconnect for me.

The manner in which a person is dressed has ZERO impact on my enjoyment of dining and conversation with my dining companions or experience, 1960 left me a long time ago.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Well, to be truly correct, Bermuda shorts with long socks are business attire in Bermuda, but a Blazer jacket is worn with it, not alone. Just in case you want to do ‘business’ in Bermuda!

And as to jeans, I guess they are OK on a Euro cruise or a cruise in lower temp locations, but the Caribbean?? I’m always surprised how many times we get into the back-forth over jeans for dining and so on. there are soooo many ‘Jean options’ but in the hot, humid, blazing sun of a Caribbean island?? Go for it. But it does scream Tourist, but with that said, every time I tried to ‘look local’, it never ever worked….oh well. 

By the way, many of the ‘local men’ in the New Guinea wear nothing but a ‘stick’ attached to a ‘certain part of their anatomy…..give it a go and see how that works!

Just Love seeing a post discussing shorts in the MDR! Personally, I don’t get upset at what people wear…..I Do watch because I love watching people just for fun and seen what lovely things woman wear and what dumb stuff their husbands wear. Fun.At always is us men……well, boys. 

den

Edited by Denny01
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Again, how another decides to dress, no impact on me and does not bother me, ever.  

These things though are allowed to matter to you for sure.  I can also look around the dining room and see what I like to see, art, the ocean but what another person is wearing is not on any list of anything that concerns me.  Cest la vie

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2