EDGE July 24, 2021 LIVE (B2B)

KKB

On 7/25/2021 at 11:25 AM, Julma said:

What time were you assigned when you booked?  We are in a suite and have a 1 PM check-in.  Wasn't sure if we could check-in earlier because we're in a suite.  

Yes you may.  Check in starts at noon and Retreat guests still have priority boarding.  You can check in any time after noon.  Then you will go to a holding lounge with refreshments and chairs.  They come around to you to finish your check-in and you are then free to board.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are loving Edge but it does have some peculiarities.  As some have noted on other threads the furniture in the public areas is oddly low and seat backs are often tilted much too far back.  There are many different styles of chairs in the lounge at Eden and we are still trying to find ones that are comfortable.  Getting up on ones feet can be awkward, if not difficult and we are only in the early to mid 60’s. Also Edge lacks a wine bar such as Cellar Masters.  While other lounges do offer some wines by the glass, the selection seems rather limited.  Additionally, our Sky Suite was not furnished with the oft-discussed rocking chair.  However our Retreat host (butler) delivered one early on day 2 after we had asked for it.  He is very eager to please.  The proportions of the chair are peculiar and like other furniture around the ship, the seat is very low and the back is almost in a reclining position.  It does take up a lot of floor space as well. We don’t have the heart to ask him to take it back.

All of the staff greet us with a friendly smile and an enthusiastic greeting.  We are being treated so well.  When asked about our cruise we always say we are so happy to be here and they respond that it is truly their pleasure to have us here.  The staff seems, without exception, to be happy to be back sailing with passengers.  It is a great time to sail!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gbphipps said:

We are loving Edge but it does have some peculiarities.  As some have noted on other threads the furniture in the public areas is oddly low and seat backs are often tilted much too far back.  There are many different styles of chairs in the lounge at Eden and we are still trying to find ones that are comfortable.  Getting up on ones feet can be awkward, if not difficult and we are only in the early to mid 60’s.

Okay I loved the Edge but you are BANG ON with this.  So much of the furniture was designed for appearance over comfort; some chairs are barely chairs in the true sense of purpose.  In Eden I felt like Goldilocks finding the just right seat 🙂 and oddly when I found one that was most comfortable it was then the challenge of getting out of it.  LMAO  One would think they could have struck a better balance between practical and appearance.

• Like 6

Thanks for all the reviews. So far, everything I've read has been positive except for one mishap boarding. 

Quick questions:

Are they using Tracelets? 

Have you heard anything about dinner on the Edge resuming? 

Have you heard anything about Luggage Valet resuming?

I booked Edge two weeks ago when I read an earlier "onboard" review...got me so excited to return to the last ship I was on pre-pandemic.  Reading your review has taken me to a whole other level.  Keep it coming while I go to pack!!!  Not sailing for 7 more weeks, but I love the anticipation.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, gbphipps said:

We are loving Edge but it does have some peculiarities.  As some have noted on other threads the furniture in the public areas is oddly low and seat backs are often tilted much too far back.  There are many different styles of chairs in the lounge at Eden and we are still trying to find ones that are comfortable.  Getting up on ones feet can be awkward, if not difficult and we are only in the early to mid 60’s. Also Edge lacks a wine bar such as Cellar Masters.  While other lounges do offer some wines by the glass, the selection seems rather limited.  Additionally, our Sky Suite was not furnished with the oft-discussed rocking chair.  However our Retreat host (butler) delivered one early on day 2 after we had asked for it.  He is very eager to please.  The proportions of the chair are peculiar and like other furniture around the ship, the seat is very low and the back is almost in a reclining position.  It does take up a lot of floor space as well. We don’t have the heart to ask him to take it back.

All of the staff greet us with a friendly smile and an enthusiastic greeting.  We are being treated so well.  When asked about our cruise we always say we are so happy to be here and they respond that it is truly their pleasure to have us here.  The staff seems, without exception, to be happy to be back sailing with passengers.  It is a great time to sail!

We noticed this about the chairs as well.

We noticed this before but not sure if it was Getaway in 2019 or Equinox in 2018 or Anthem in 2018🤷‍♀️Stunned that chairs were not tested for comfort before purchasing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobandgloria said:

Thank you for the review, we are sailing on her in 3 weeks.  Just a quick question do you have to take  ship sponsored excursions in the ports or can you explore on your own?

Cozumel is the only one you officially have to.

Costa Maya we are allowed to use some cabs? 
We hope to go to Jaime’s Blue Reef tomorrow so we shall see.

Nassau, St Thomas & St Maarten wide open. 

Edited by KKB
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Thanks for all the reviews. So far, everything I've read has been positive except for one mishap boarding. 

Quick questions:

Are they using Tracelets? 

Have you heard anything about dinner on the Edge resuming? 

Have you heard anything about Luggage Valet resuming?

No tracelets.

Ive heard all adults 16 & over r vaccinated, but not confirmed.

31 children on board.

No idea on Magic Caroet dinner luggage valet.

Edited by KKB

FINALLY got a few hours of sun…yesterday left sun to put my suit on only to return to clouds & then rain. BOO! 
But when u r on board for 2 weeks u don’t sweat it—plenty of time to get my tan on.

Pool was pretty busy but it is a nice large pool & seats have been pretty easy to find.

Did the table top Escape room (we call them breakout boxes). What fun!

We got 2nd by a foot race to unlock the box, darn it!

Grabbed lunch at spa cafe—nice light change of pace. Friends had breakfast at Eden & really enjoyed it. They were the only ones there.

(Both venues included for breakfast & lunch)

One annoying feature in room—it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to shut bathroom door w/o a WOMP, no matter how carefully one trying. Wuite annoying at night!

3 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Interesting. At post #40 @stinkyenglishteacher posted they saw a handful of kids and some unvaccinated adults were wearing wristbands and masks. 

Just edited—I was told this by another passenger but not crew so not confirmed.

I've seen a few masks but no bracelets (which are different than tracelets)

I assumed the masks were their choice, but again, not confirmed.

Edited by KKB
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, KKB said:

Cozumel is the only one you officially have to.

Costa Maya we are allowed to use some cabs? 
We hope to go to Jaime’s Blue Reef tomorrow so we shall see.

Nassau, St Thomas & St Maarten wide open. 

Very interested if you make it to Jaime’s.  Since Steve sold Tropicana (?) would like to go back to Jaime’s if he is open.  Also confused about dining.  We do set time at traditional seating.  Are there more than 1 dining rooms for this?  If so how do you determine which one to go to?  Are you set to go to the same one each night or can you try others?  We will probably throw in a specialty dining too but I know how to do that.

6 minutes ago, KKB said:

Just edited—I was told this by another passenger but not crew so not confirmed.

I've seen a few masks but no bracelets (which are different than tracelets)

I assumed the masks were their choice, but again, not confirmed.

Thanks. Of course I had to check to see what a (RCCL) tracelet looks like and found this:

The Tracelet: Meet Royal Caribbean’s New Contact-Tracing Device (cruiseradio.net)

Edited by Ken the cruiser

Rockers were removed  and relocated awhile ago ..look for them in Eden on ramp or elsewhere.

Most everyone dislikes the silly chairs in EDEN!

No wine bar is a big miss..they could  eliminate one  high priced store and make a nice mellow wine bar space..jazz  and  lite bites!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hcat said:

Rockers were removed  and relocated awhile ago ..look for them in Eden on ramp or elsewhere.

No wine bar is a big miss..they could  eliminate one  high priced store and make a nice mellow wine bar space..jazz  and  lite bites!

Yes!  YES!  Eliminate the shops where a tee is a kajillion dollars and make a wine bar!  Brilliant!

And I concur with the ratings on the seating.  Our couch in our sky suite was hard as a rock.  I liked the Martini Bar seats except for the odd little round ones on the side near the bar.  But whoever said Goldilocks is exactly right.  We found it amusing to sit in Eden and watch people plop down, start wriggling, then frowning, then moving to another set of chairs...and another...and another.  We started placing bets as to how many chairs they would try before leaving.  🤔🙄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, hcat said:

The best feature of the wine bar on the Solstice class ships was that hardly anyone was even in it.

I have never experience the Equinox’s version in place of the Wine Cellar.

We loved the Wine Cellar.

Edited by jagoffee

Not that I don't think a wine bar would be nice.  I'm sure it would.  But, I'm personally not a wine person.  Bourbon Bar?  I'm all over it.  I do like hanging out at the Martini Bar, too.  Love me a well made martini.

The seat at both the Martini Bar and the EDEN bar were comfortable to me. That said, I never tried the couches and chairs surrounding the outlying areas of either bar.

Plus, I didn't have a rocking chair in my cabin.  And, I believe my couch turned into another bed.  So, I didn't expect it to be comfy to sit in.  It was mostly used for storage.  I did like the plain desk chair fine as I was doing live postings. 

Could all of that be better?  For sure.  Have I experienced worse on other cruise ships?  For sure! 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Alabaster Cruiser said:

Very interested if you make it to Jaime’s.  Since Steve sold Tropicana (?) would like to go back to Jaime’s if he is open.  Also confused about dining.  We do set time at traditional seating.  Are there more than 1 dining rooms for this?  If so how do you determine which one to go to?  Are you set to go to the same one each night or can you try others?  We will probably throw in a specialty dining too but I know how to do that.

Set time dining is assigned 1 dining room.

Anytime may got to any dining room.

BUT you may order from ANY menu in any restaurant—so if u want something off the Tuscan menu but Cyprus is your restaurant, just ask.

• Like 1