Big Brother (Princess) Is Watching!

bjkTX

My wife and I are Elite but haven't cruised in a couple of years - and have none booked or even seriously contemplated at this point.  But yesterday I was browsing here on CC and saw a thread that caused me to go on the Princess website and look at a few things.  While I was there I looked to see what kind of cruises they had planned for Hawaii - just for the heck of it.

This morning I received a call from Princess saying we noticed you were on our website yesterday and we wanted to reach out to you as my "personal cruise planner" and with my permission she wanted to send me an email of their current deals etc and even though I indicated I didn't have any immediate plans to cruise she wanted me to have her info to use when and if our plans changed.  I didn't see any "deals" on what she sent that I hadn't already looked at on the website.

Not sure if that's a sign of really great customer service - or desperation 🙂  But it is different!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, bjkTX said:

My wife and I are Elite but haven't cruised in a couple of years - and have none booked or even seriously contemplated at this point.  But yesterday I was browsing here on CC and saw a thread that caused me to go on the Princess website and look at a few things.  While I was there I looked to see what kind of cruises they had planned for Hawaii - just for the heck of it.

This morning I received a call from Princess saying we noticed you were on our website yesterday and we wanted to reach out to you as my "personal cruise planner" and with my permission she wanted to send me an email of their current deals etc and even though I indicated I didn't have any immediate plans to cruise she wanted me to have her info to use when and if our plans changed.  I didn't see any "deals" on what she sent that I hadn't already looked at on the website.

Not sure if that's a sign of really great customer service - or desperation 🙂  But it is different!

Obviously, Princess misses you!

• Like 3

Lately, every time I log on to the  Princess web site, I get a call from my Personal Cruise Consultant.  Yes, I believe they know when you log on or it is an uncanny coincidence that happens very frequently. 

• Like 1

It's the same with HAL, Carnival, and NCL.  Check the prices on a cruise and the next day there will be email contact from the cruise line trying to help me complete a booking. 

Probably similar with other cruise lines but I don't tend to check them very often.

Don

• Like 3

1 hour ago, skynight said:

No calls for us. We use a T.A. and she does not reach out. She knows we will contact her if we wish to book something. 

Me too.  I have enough unwanted calls.  Sometimes I wish Princess didn't make up turn over a booking within 60 days.  There's always something that I forgot to do and don't want to bother my TA.  She doesn't feel that I am a bother...was a wonderful person.

• Like 2

Yes, your browsing history is always tracked everywhere you go (even Princess site does it). 

Wait until you find out your cell phone is always listening and tracking you (when not even making a call...lol).

Apologize for going off topic 🙂

• Like 3

Facebook When I look at some things online my wife gets ads on Facebook for similar items. I don't have a FB account but they seem to to send the ads to my wife on that platform. I've noticed many times when a page was slow to load that the info showed in the bottom of the window indicated it was connecting to FB. When I remember to do so I can use my VPN to "be elsewhere" and then she doesn't get the adds.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, skynight said:

No calls for us. We use a T.A. and she does not reach out. She knows we will contact her if we wish to book something. 

That's they way we have always been - we have always used our TA...

7 hours ago, skynight said:

6 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Me too.  I have enough unwanted calls.  Sometimes I wish Princess didn't make up turn over a booking within 60 days.  There's always something that I forgot to do and don't want to bother my TA.  She doesn't feel that I am a bother...was a wonderful person.

No calls here.  We don't have a PVP and when one tried to attach themselves to us several years back, I said No Thanks.

10 hours ago, Outerdog said:

How could they possibly know when you log in to their website??

I don't know if you are being sarcastic...

But, most web applications would typically save that information each time you log in.

You would typicall have a record for each user in a database.

Typically, username, encrypted password, etc.

Any personal information that needs to be saved ... for instance, shipping address.

For something secure, or restricted, they site might make you jump through a hoop-or-two

if you haven't logged in in a while...

With regard to the original poster...

If I happen to check a hotel property price while logged in to a hotel web site...

If I don't book, I will get an email the next day advising me of some great rate at

the property I looked at.

Edited by Roberto256
  • Like 1

I never answer a call from unknown caller as I have learned in past that most are scammers, robocall scammers or wrong numbers.  They are getting better as most now show up as being from my same area code.  Problem is I have an east coast tel number but am usually in hawaii so with six hour time difference i get calls at 4 am HST.  So I have to turn off phone ringer at night.  If I change to hawaii number then i get calls late at night east coast time.  I average blocking 2 or 3 calls a day everyday.

I refuse to participate in forms that require you leave a tel number to get a quote on insurance etc as you just know you will get another call from somebody trying to sell you something.

One of the prices we pay to use "free" internet and "smart" phones. 

5 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

If I happen to check a hotel property price while logged in to a hotel web site...

If I don't book, I will get an email the next day advising me of some great rate at

the property I looked at.

It doesn't stop after the next day either.  This drives me crazy.  Actually,  I avoid browsing some hotel sites so I won't be bothered with the emails.  Booking.com and Hotels.com are baaaaaaaad.