Laundry facilities

beryl patricia

I'm wondering is some people don't want to use the washers that have been used by previous cruisers and not cleaned / sanitized between usages ... just a thought in these times.

when we went to a vrbo last summer, we used one of the washer 'cleaner' packs before putting in clothes the next load

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

I'm wondering is some people don't want to use the washers that have been used by previous cruisers and not cleaned / sanitized between usages ... just a thought in these times.

when we went to a vrbo last summer, we used one of the washer 'cleaner' packs before putting in clothes the next load

Never gave this a thought. Insides don't bother me but might have some clorox wipes to wipe off dials and lid.  Thanks for mentioning this.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2021 at 2:33 AM, LynnForestgate said:

I am surprised that people actually use these.

Love the name beryl patricia 🙂 

One personal favorite, selling feature of Princess ships is the ability to do self laundry and use ironing stations.  The self-laundry rooms on each floor get packed so one needs to go during less popular times during the day.  We've used the facility on the second day of our transatlantic cruises....no crowd; thereafter, once opened in the morning.

• Like 2

On 10/8/2021 at 9:39 AM, fluffybunny22 said:

I'm always worried about pods bursting and ruining something. I just bought some detergent sheets from a company called earth breeze. It was $20 for 60 sheets.

They used to sell Gain laundry sheets in the supermarket before pods were a thing. Naturally they were discontinued. I stocked up on them when they hit the dollar store . I think they were 12 sheets for a $1. Now I just buy powder detergent and measure it out in ziploc sandwich bags.

Edited by Iamcruzin

On 10/8/2021 at 4:17 AM, LynnForestgate said:

Did not imagine people would use them....

Even if we're doing a seven night cruise, we do a load of laundry half-way through. It allows us to pack less and have fewer pieces of luggage to deal with.

The Wash-Eze sheets linked in post #23 are what we use as well. No worrying about bursting pods, spilling powder from a possibly not-sealed-all-the-way Ziplock bag, or bringing fabric softener. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, coo359a2 said:

Never gave this a thought. Insides don't bother me but might have some clorox wipes to wipe off dials and lid.  Thanks for mentioning this.

This does not bother us either.  We use a non-alcohol hand sanitizer before/after touching common areas.

Edited by LACruiser88

3 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

They used to sell Gain laundry sheets in the supermarket before pods were a thing. Naturally they were discontinued. I stocked up on them when they hit the dollar store . I think they were 12 sheets for a $1. Now I just buy powder detergent and measure it out in ziploc sandwich bags.

I found some purex laundry sheets when they discontinued them. I was only able to snag one box and it's almost gone so that's why when I came across the earth breeze ones I ordered them. They're touted as eco friendly but I saw them as travel friendly. The package should last me a good while.

12 minutes ago, mammajamma2013 said:

Even if we're doing a seven night cruise, we do a load of laundry half-way through. It allows us to pack less and have fewer pieces of luggage to deal with.

The Wash-Eze sheets linked in post #23 are what we use as well. No worrying about bursting pods, spilling powder from a possibly not-sealed-all-the-way Ziplock bag, or bringing fabric softener. 

I never thought to look on Amazon.  I just figured that the product was gone forever. I'm glad someone else is manufacturing them.

On 10/9/2021 at 8:52 AM, LACruiser88 said:

We bring our own powder detergent in a zip lock bag, no problems...

It’s only a problem when you try to transport white Tide powder in a plain ziplock bag across Can-US on a flight in a carryon. Yeah…didn’t go over very well 😆. Thankfully, the agent at the X-ray machine had a sense of humour and I ended up having to buy some detergent at a KMart near the pre-cruise hotel to replenish what he thought it better to throw out, rather than risk trouble at my next layover. 😁 Now, it’s pods in a small leak proof disposal container all the way! 

Edited by h-sar
  • Haha 2

On 10/9/2021 at 9:39 AM, voljeep said:

I always use Biz along with detergent. The enzymes in Biz should be able to break down the coat of virus particles and destroy them along with the action of the detergent.

8 hours ago, h-sar said:

It’s only a problem when you try to transport white Tide powder in a plain ziplock bag across Can-US on a flight in a carryon. Yeah…didn’t go over very well 😆. Thankfully, the agent at the X-ray machine had a sense of humour and I ended up having to buy some detergent at a KMart near the pre-cruise hotel to replenish what he thought it better to throw out, rather than risk trouble at my next layover. 😁 Now, it’s pods in a small leak proof disposal container all the way! 

Don't they strip search you and look in cavities if they find pods on you?  /s

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Sailin Gal said:

Sorry for the sidetracked thought here. . . Does anyone know if there are days on the Alaska sailing Whittier to Vancouver that the DIY  laundry is closed?  I seem to recall hearing something about discharge regs in Alaskan waters.

The ships have huge holding tanks for waste water that is then passed through the onboard water treatment system and put into other holding tanks.

5 hours ago, LynnForestgate said:

I still find it hard to believe that "Laundry" facilities are the selling point of a cruise ! 

I enjoy Your sense of humor 🙂 

And, I bet you never thought of a laundromat as a social hub.  A club for like-minded, self-sufficient individuals fulfilling the satisfaction gained by, once again, full draws with neatly folded cloths and a closet lined with fresh garments.  Who can deny calming affect from the rhythmic sound of a dryer with your left over euro coins banging against the sides.  Or, the humid odor of a too full lint trap.  Before you say, whatever floats your boat....remember we're on a cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Sailin Gal said:

Sorry for the sidetracked thought here. . . Does anyone know if there are days on the Alaska sailing Whittier to Vancouver that the DIY  laundry is closed?  I seem to recall hearing something about discharge regs in Alaskan waters.

I think when sailing through Glacier Bay.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, CAZephyr said:

And, I bet you never thought of a laundromat as a social hub.  A club for like-minded, self-sufficient individuals fulfilling the satisfaction gained by, once again, full draws with neatly folded cloths and a closet lined with fresh garments.  Who can deny calming affect from the rhythmic sound of a dryer with your left over euro coins banging against the sides.  Or, the humid odor of a too full lint trap.  Before you say, whatever floats your boat....remember we're on a cruise. 

👍   poetic justice to domestic chores .... love it . 

On 10/9/2021 at 9:39 AM, voljeep said:

If you do that on a cruise, it will cost you $3 + the cost of the cleaner. 

What kind of "germs" do you think would be clinging to your clothes after you've washed & dried them? If you use hot water to wash & then dry, chances are excellent that any germs from former washer users are long gone.

• Like 4

On 10/8/2021 at 7:31 AM, skynight said:

Yes, and dryer sheets also.

We sailed a 15 day cruise in 2019 and did laundry.  I took laundry pods in a small zip-lock (checked baggage) and they didn't rupture or leak.  also took drier sheets!  Easy Peasy!

On 10/9/2021 at 12:39 PM, voljeep said:

People who live in an apartment building and college students away at school use community laundry facilities all of the time and I have never heard of any outbreaks of any kind. I'm sure they don't have 2yrs of clothes piling up waiting for covid to  be over. Over the years we were forced to use a laundromat when our washer died. I don't see it being an issue not being sanitized between usages.