Laundry facilities

beryl patricia

5 minutes ago, fluffybunny22 said:

Where do you get the tokens?

There are machines in each laundry. You just put your Medallion against the reader and enter how many tokens you want and they are dispensed. There are tokens for the machines and dryers and also for detergent. The costs are charged to your cabin account. 

28 minutes ago, LynnForestgate said:

I am surprised that people actually use these.

Why?

We have often done some land based touring before a cruise and might need to do some washing. We would rather do this than take a bigger suitcase.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, LynnForestgate said:

Did not imagine people would use them....

I always do laundry on vacation. We travel with just carry ons. We also have wicking chafe proof vacation underwear that are super expensive so instead of buying a ton of them it's easier to do laundry halfway through the trip. I have a habit of waking up in the very early morning hours and will do laundry while everyone else sleeps.

• Like 2

We are going to be traveling for 18 days.  The first leg of our journey is on Celebrity and their ships do not have self-serve laundry facilities.  I will definately need to do laundry on our 10-day Princess cruise.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LynnForestgate said:

The laundries are very popular, inexpensive, and receive lots of use. You can also just pop in for a quick ironing which is no charge. Many passengers spend additional time on land pre or post cruise, thus with a need to do laundry. Others taking 7, 10 or b2b's also have a need to do their laundry. Elite loyalty level and those in full suites receive free laundry service. As elites we normally would send out a bag or so every few days. Self service laundries was/is one of Princess' nice benefits. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, leck57 said:

There are machines in each laundry. You just put your Medallion against the reader and enter how many tokens you want and they are dispensed. There are tokens for the machines and dryers and also for detergent. The costs are charged to your cabin account. 

If the coin dispenser is out of order (it happens), you can go to a different laundry room for coins OR go to Passenger Svcs for coins.

On some recent cruises (the Alaska live-froms) mentioned that there was a bowl of coins to just take what you needed...guess Passenger Svcs didn't want to be bothered with requests.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

One thing we've wondered is should we take a few detergent pods.  Any thoughts on that?

I'm always worried about pods bursting and ruining something. I just bought some detergent sheets from a company called earth breeze. It was $20 for 60 sheets.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LynnForestgate said:

Love the name beryl patricia 🙂 

Probably little need if you only take short (</= 1 week) cruises. Ours are much,much longer than that. So easy to just do a couple of loads on a sea day.

4 hours ago, LynnForestgate said:

We use them on anything longer than 7 days, and will occasionally use them on 7 days as well, especially if we are spending a couple days pre/post cruise. In fact, on our last cruise in Jan 2020, which was only 7 days, I did laundry before disembarking because my oldest was flying directly back to college and I didn't want him to need to do laundry when he got back.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LynnForestgate said:

Why would you be surprised that people actually want clean clothes and do not want to pay an outrageous price to send out a small bag of socks and underwear to be cleaned by the ship's laundry?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, cltnccruisers said:

One thing we've wondered is should we take a few detergent pods.  Any thoughts on that?

I always do that and put them in a small plastic box inside of a double plastic bag.  It is cheaper than pay $1.50 for a small box of detergent.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fluffybunny22 said:

I'm always worried about pods bursting and ruining something. I just bought some detergent sheets from a company called earth breeze. It was $20 for 60 sheets.

I have some wide mouth prescription bottles that can hold 3 or 4 washing pods so don't worry about pods bursting.   Having  Elite  laundry, only need two bottles to get me through a 30 to 45 day cruise.

• Like 2

These work beautifully. With zero chance of leaking. We've been using this product for years and have been perfectly happy with them. 

When used as detergent in the washer, the sheet can them be used as a dryer sheet. Double duty!!

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U9SFSZK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, LynnForestgate said:

For those of us who travel long trips (upwards of 2-4 weeks at a time), there's no way to pack/carry all the clothes we'd need.  And I'm more comfortable with the way I do laundry, over handing over our stuff to be washed/dried in a manner I don't know.  

• Like 3

18 hours ago, cltnccruisers said:

They do sell detergent from a machine in each laundry room.

However, selection of brands and types of detergent is limited. If you do not care what detergent you use, you do not need to bring any with you.

However, it you really prefer or must use a particular brand and type, bring your own.