Sailing Wednesday on Splendor

Have a wonderful time everyone - I'm not really envious at all 💚  (Dreaming of those amazing gin cocktails in the Meridian Lounge that Gusti made me try  🤣 )

Cheers!

20211107_185254.thumb.jpg.ab4e100e4213aa7e56ed7290bf8d4b8d.jpg

Edited by Gilly
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, UUNetBill said:

Under a month now for us.  I can't believe it's been almost 2 years since we cruised last...seems like forever.

Lucky you, we still have a ways to go before we get on a ship.  Just couldn’t find then one we wanted with the suite we wanted.

Disembarked Dec 7 and envious of those boarding Splendor today, Dec. 8.  Returned from our shore excursion in Lanzarote, Canary Islands on Nov. 26 and "elves" had been busy decorating Splendor.  The gingerbread house was "in progress" when we disembarked.  Maybe someone on the current sailing can post a photo of the finished gingerbread house.  I was told there would be a train in the area where you see the "Work In Progress" sign.

Splendor Christmas Decorations 11.jpg

Splendor Gingerbread House Dec 7.jpg

Got on board about 1:30, so for those going to board in the future from Miami, here is what to expect.

When you get off the bus from the hotel, or when you arrive by private vehicle, you will be directed to the Covid testing tent.  First line to wait in is to check your credentials, the QR or bar code from Euro fins and your passport are required.  You should receive an email telling you how to register on Eurofins prior to the date of sailing so that you can obtain the bar code or QR code.  After the check in, you go to another line to where they will direct you to one of several stations to have your nose swabbed.  They will do it for you and my experience is that they are quite gentle.  They you go to the area where there are many chairs and wait for your number to appear on a screen.  Then comes the wait.  There were only about 6 people going around talking to people, they will eventually get to you (but it may be a long wait) and take your vax cards up to the front where two VERY slow individuals will hand copy all the information from the vax card.  They then ask you a few health questions, you then sign on the tablet they have and you get a sticker.  After you get your sticker, AND ONLY after you get the sticker can you proceed to the next desk, which reconfirms all the information and gives you a wristband which eventually will allow you to get on board. 

Do I still have your attention, good.  Then you walk to the actual terminal J to get your passports and boarding pass checked, then up a floor to the x-ray screening of hand held baggage (take all the metal out of your pockets, etc.) and then you speak to another person who will scan your passport and confirm your credit card.  Then the long walk to board the beautiful ship, in our case the Splendor and begin to finally enjoy your vacation.  Total elapsed time from arrival at the pier to boarding the ship 1 hour and 15 minutes.  I'm sure there is a better way, but it is what it is.

I thought some of you who have upcoming cruises might like to know all this.  Although I imagine after January 17, the process might speed up a bit, only time will tell. 

I'll have more to talk about our first day at a later time

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

We can’t wait till January 6th to begin our back to back on the Splendor. Two yrs. of our retirement lost here at home and not traveling the world with Regent.

Thanks to all for your comments, especially BNguy for your details of what to expect at the Port in Miami.  Even before Covid, the Port staff were slow and sometimes arrogant. Let us hope that when the cruise ends the Port staff allow us clearance to disembark on time. For some reason, Regent always gets a late clearance. 

Avidtravler:  

You have directed your inquiry to the right person--BNguy--who can provide current context based on a very-recent experience at Miami.  Suggest you first Google QR Code.  That will provide some background.  In essence:  QR stands for "Quick Response".  

What hurdle(s) you might have to experience are based on the ship's planned itinerary.  Our October 31st-November 14th Explorer TA crossing required obtaining that dreaded Code to allow, first:  getting on a Lufthansa flight from SEATAC via Frankfort, to Barcelona; then ability to enter Spain from whence that cruise back to Miami began.  Then: allowing Regent to process our online inputs and furnish us with the Bar Code attached to our treasured Boarding Passes.  

It was NOT a pleasant experience, mostly because it was the initial one on a new procedure due to COVID.  And, it followed two years of canceled Regent cruises.  But, with assistance from our TA--and intervention from Regent--was able to surmount all obstacles as to a process which I described on a separate Thread as the 21st Century equivalent to:  

The Spanish Inquisition.  And, to quote Monte Python:  "Noone expects the Spanish Inquisition!!"  

Again, your TA should be able to assist.  

GOARMY!

Avid Traveler,

Sorry if my explanation regarding Euro Fins was not complete but let me try and explain.  About a week before our cruise, we received an email from Regent which explained the process to pre-register for the covid test administered at the pier prior to boarding.  Euro Fins is the company that is administering these tests (at the moment) and you are instructed in the letter how to go and pre-register.  As a tech guy from way back, I forget that some people have never heard of bar codes or QR codes.  When you pre-register for the test, you can chose to either print out the confirmation for the test which will include a bar code OR you can get an app (I did not do this as apps have a tendency to screw up when you really need them) that will have a QR code.  Either the bar code or the QR code will work when you register at the pier.  Again I wish to emphasize, the letter from Regent will detail this.  Will it make sense to all, probably not, but like GOARMY said, the process is still in flux and can change at a moments notice.  I posted what I experienced, as people are fond of saying, "Your mileage may vary!"

So good to be back on a Regent ship after a forced pause of just over 2 years.

First impressions of Splendor are excellent. We like the lighter colour scheme compared to Explorer; enhanced at present by the wonderful Christmas decorations throughout.

Our check-in experience yesterday went very smoothly. Stressful waiting for the test results, and lots of paperwork checks, but otherwise reasonably seamless.

Approximate timings for us:

• Returned car rental to Avis - 10:45
  • Avis shuttle to port Terminal J
  • Arrived at terminal & gave luggage to porters - 11:00
  • “Processed” in Eurofins testing facility
  • Tested & cleared as positive - 11:30
  • Checked in & on board - 11:45
  • Quick visit to Muster Station to register
  • In Suite - 12:00 (suites were ready early as Splendor had arrived in Miami the previous day)
  • La veranda for delicious lunch - 12:15. 😋

Even though we had dutifully registered with Eurofins and printed out barcodes, the lady who dealt with us did not want them & simply identified us from our passports  🙄

We arrived earlier than the time allocated on our boarding cards, but no one seemed to mind and there were no queues anywhere during the process.

After lunch we found our bags  had been delivered so went through the chore of unpacking, made easier by the plentiful drawer & hanging space in our suite (D grade).

Then a sunset sail away 

5A391211-5156-44ED-B490-882308F4B6FC.thumb.jpeg.2a663436f080a3badf434a6a4ea36484.jpeg

• Like 11

4 hours ago, flossie009 said:

So good to be back on a Regent ship after a forced pause of just over 2 years.

First impressions of Splendor are excellent……….

5A391211-5156-44ED-B490-882308F4B6FC.thumb.jpeg.2a663436f080a3badf434a6a4ea36484.jpeg

Beautiful picture!!!

Can I ask a couple of additional questions about the boarding process? I'm on the January 3rd sailing.

1. It appears that the COVID testing required pre-registration. How/when did you learn about this?

2. I've completed my registration process and selected a boarding time of 11:30. I'm staying at the Regent provided hotel. I assume the bus schedule will accommodate my boarding time, and that I don't need to do anything further with that? Is that a safe assumption?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experiences.

Greg