The Daily for Wednesday December 15, 2021

richwmn

@sailingdutchythanks for the nice photos of Tallinn. Looks like it was a beautiful day!  But I know you meant Latvia and Lithuania since Tallinn is in Estonia.  I'm hoping we can go on our cruise next summer to the Baltics because Latvia and Lithuania are listed on the itinerary.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

The sun is breaking through now, but this morning it was very windy and snowy. I had to wrestle little Bandit into his water proof coat which he hates. I will take him out a bit later on without it since it looks like the worst is over. The roads are bad and I suspect some of the passes are closed. They are still trying to remove a truck from about a week ago that went off the road just south of Silverton. It actually was a truck with a flatbed trailer attached and a car on the trailer. The driver walked away and managed to climb up.   This will be the third day they have to close the road (a major highway north) to try to get the truck up. So far the car and the trailer have been hauled to the top. I hate the hairpin turns on Highway 160 and will not drive it if the weather is bad. Looks like our next active weather will not arrive until just before Christmas. As to our shelter roof.... I know the roofer was there yesterday afternoon but have not heard the outcome.

Have not been today's destination... it is definitely on my bucket list. I do eat a lot of salmon fixed various ways to keep it interesting.... or as interesting as salmon can be. It is on the menu for tomorrow with a honey-ginger glaze.... today I am sharing pizza with my downstairs neighbor.

Sending positive thoughts and prayers out to all who need them. When we don't hear from our regulars, I worry.

Susan

• Like 24

Good morning from Pasadena!

This is our last full day here before we fly home tomorrow. We’ve had a wonderful time with all our kids. One day was spent at Huntington Gardens (love that place) and yesterday we spent 12 hours at Disneyland in the pouring rain! We couldn’t change the date on our tickets but still had a great time (especially the grandsons). 

Prayers for all on the Care list and extra prayers for @kazuand Jose. 

D9FCFB37-F630-417D-88AD-552DC6D03489.thumb.jpeg.7c71e6909a2e6799effe768b10129920.jpeg

B095AC75-57D4-4E5C-8C39-FA2F75C72C39.thumb.jpeg.ef9c2e968466e27e899f2ea464bcafbd.jpeg

DF6A5E27-AC08-4D9E-B040-57C380D9C1CE.thumb.jpeg.87b32d25de98e693c3b4bb128de93094.jpeg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 5

Good morning, all! A lemon cupcake and a cup of tea would be wonderful. I still have some GF lemon cake in the freezer, so there’s an afternoon tea planned! Oscar Wilde hit the mark with today’s quote, in many cases!

sending strength and prayers to @kazu, Jacqui and Jose; @rafinmdRoy; @Himselffather; and all else who need them at this time.

It has turned cold here, but the snow has held off and been cancelled in the forecast altogether. Long term forecasting calls for a snowy Christmas, so we shall see!

Happy Wednesday, and I’d prefer that tea and lemon cupcake on a BHB!

A4B343D9-2C36-4106-A005-95C0C3507761.thumb.jpeg.5e8bc4a4aac42942cd39d277a1b59ce8.jpeg

• Like 25

2 hours ago, Cruisercl said:

I am a self-confessed lurker....😊

Thought I would duck in to say hi to everyone. Not a big poster usually.

I have been to Tallin, Estonia, no pictures, but it is a beautiful small country with a really intersting culture and history.

Prayers and hugs (too familiar?) to everyone during these tough times in our lives, some more difficult than others.

Cheers to all as we all need some joy.

Take care!

2 hours ago, SFO PETER said:

I am not a prayer guy but I am truly sad that some of my favorite posters or their spouses have very serious health problems.  Will send positive thoughts to all.

Peter

Welcome to the Daily.  😊

• Like 15

Good morning from sunny Quartzsite.  Our wind and rain ended about midnight, but we were glad to get some rain.

Lemon cupcake or even just lemon cake and tea sounds good, but no lemon cake here.  May make a key lime pie this afternoon with the egg yolks not used in the icing for the cookies.  

The Bill of Rights should be celebrated everyday, as it is what makes this country unique.  @jimgev The study you mentioned was interesting, but the results were scary.

An inteeresting quote from Oscar Wilde.

Will pass on the drink, but the wine sounds intriguing.  We have salmon in the freezer, but tonight it will be chili, as our highs are supposed be be in the 50sF.

I am also very concerned about @kazu Jacqui and Jose.  Sending very, very positive thoughts for both of them during this trying time.

@grapau27  Glad to hear that Pauline is better with only a sore place where she was jabbed.

@cat shepard  Loved the snowman/snowdog meme.

@summer slope  Sorry about the flat tire.  They can be a bummer.

@Rowsby  Loved the dog picture.  Now, that is tired.

@marshhawk  I totally agree with you about the excessive lights some people leave on all night.  DH is an amateur astronomer, and we spend in the winters in the desert for that reason.  Each year, more and more neighbors leave spotlights on, and not only aim them at our bathroom window, but light up the trees and night skies.  😱

@Crazy For Cats Aruba is a great place to wander arund town or rent a car and explore the island.

@StLouisCruisers and @sailingdutchy  Loved the pictures of Tallin.

@Cruisercl   Welcome to the Daily, which I'm sure you know is the nicest place on CC.  Don't be a stranger.

@NextOne  Glad your DDIL saw the doctor and likes that the doctor is taking an interest in her case and in finding answers.

@1ANGELCAT  Confidence in your doctor is important, and I'm sure you will make the right decision for you.

@Sharon in AZ  You're not the only one who had trouble logging in to CC today.  It took me the better part of an hour.  😱

@durangoscots  We've driven the highway between Durango and Ridgeway many times, and I know what you mean about the turns and dropoffs.  The truck driver was lucky to survive.  We've only driven it once in our motorhome -- NEVER AGAIN!

@SFO PETER  Welcome to the Daily.

We have been to Tallin three times, 2003 on Rotterdam, 2005 on Marco Polo and 2016 on Prinsendam.  It is a lovely place, and the old town is magical.  I have a few pciures to add to the mix, and maybe one is a repeat.

In 2003, while walking down a back street in the old town, we passed this bar that had a Texas flag flying outside, and it may have been called Texas Bar, but don't hold me to that.  The inside is a Texas type bar.

IMG_2042.thumb.JPG.4f9070cb8a8bc7f1275bd0119d21bd67.JPG

An interesting downspout

DSC05070.thumb.JPG.cb5bf08db7027d8abe05c3f935fbe810.JPG

The big square once you've climbed the street to the top.

IMG_2023.thumb.JPG.246dd5f9f3b60a6c344c20354d9b491c.JPG

Another interesting street in the old town.

IMG_2019.thumb.JPG.2bf776fada54c6b2ff2543fa866e32e7.JPG

The view from the top of the old town

IMG_2026.thumb.JPG.7f2fd9c088ef30677c9be200393eb61f.JPG

IMG_2027.thumb.JPG.7b1b9a2d5efaeb3483ebd6169b5fa8f1.JPG

The area outside the hall where the choral contests are held.  A wooden submarine, and a couple of interesting boats.

DSC05056.thumb.JPG.19cd2e65c54f9d38c88e0fc1b9ba46f7.JPG

DSC05057.thumb.JPG.a4308a4f8527e8312a035a719f93882f.JPG

Looking at the plaza/transportation hub from the old town

IMG_2045.thumb.JPG.949ae485e964e318c7e825428572d18e.JPG

In 2005 and 2016, we took the Ho-Ho to see more of Tallin.  These are scens from the 2005 Ho-Ho.

IMG_5321.thumb.JPG.c74fd66a3ea4134f7d6a61b39c742150.JPG

IMG_5323.thumb.JPG.9312fb7d5d5c06c24ff52d4f4edd134d.JPG

IMG_5325.thumb.JPG.557505de7d71ffefc56f5b3f23f8b043.JPG

Now, it's time to finish the Christmas decorations and then bake the gingerbread cookies.  In other words, another busy day.

Lenda

• Like 28
  • Thanks 6

I was in Tallin waaay back in 2008, a port on our 50th anniversary cruise aboard the Eurodam. No photos to post but I certainly am enjoying the ones that others have posted.

I salute the Bill of Rights, love lemon cupcakes and enjoy tea with or without lemon. Those lemon honey salmon photos are making me hungry and it is only 10:30 am here. Both the drink and the wine I will give a pass to.

Sending prayers for Jose and Jacqui along with Himself and all the others on our care list and hoping that Jacqui and Himself will feel up to checking in with us.

Jane

• Like 21

Good morning.  Yum to lemon cupcakes and tea.  For me, it was lemon scone and tea this morning.  🍋

We were in Tallinn in the spring of 2013 on the Emerald Princess.  That trip was special for two reasons.  One, DH and I sailed all the way from Ft. Lauderdale and met our DD and DS in Copenhagen for the Baltic segment of the cruise.  Both married soon after, so that was our last trip with just we four.  Secondly, we were onboard for 28 days and because the weather cooperated so well, we experienced a perfect progression of spring bloom from south to north -- beautiful!  🌹  🌷  💐

That was an unexpected delight -- something to attempt again in future.  Highly recommend.

A quick special shout-out here to @Quartzsite Cruiser for the photo with the monkeys she posted at the end of the day yesterday.  Lenda, I've been to Phuket and an animal park there.  You are one brave lady!!  

I know everyone here has our ill Dailyites always in mind -- even in the midst of activities and holiday preparations.  Prayers that this day will be a good one for all.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Quartzsite-Besides the desert, there are still a few towns that pride themselves in being Dark sky friendly.  Several years ago DH and I went to Cedar Key (not in the keys) to a dark sky party.  A full week of amateur astronomers who set up telescopes through out the town, and you walked from one  person to another to see different constellations, nebula and so on.  We came home, and DH got a telescope  for Christmas that year.  Which I think he used twice, and now says he cant find the battery to operate it.  Oh well, I was the physics minor in college, and I love the night sky.

There is also a dark sky night park between Atlanta and Athens GA.  But when i think of putting up a tent these days, my back screams at me, and that is the end of the idea.

Question dear friends-how do you get the person's name moved into your reply to  something they posted.  

• Like 22

Good morning, all, yes, another day to pray for those on the Care List,  just hope things are improving for all.

@marshhawk, you can bring up a poster's name by using the @, then typing the name and a list (hopefully) will appear if you've done it right!  Then click on the name you want, and it will be highlighted in your post.  Half the time, I forget to do the last, and have to start over again!

As in, "Welcome to the Daily, @Cruisercl!"

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from sunny Quartzsite.  Our wind and rain ended about midnight, but we were glad to get some rain.

Lemon cupcake or even just lemon cake and tea sounds good, but no lemon cake here.  May make a key lime pie this afternoon with the egg yolks not used in the icing for the cookies.  

The Bill of Rights should be celebrated everyday, as it is what makes this country unique.  @jimgev The study you mentioned was interesting, but the results were scary.

An inteeresting quote from Oscar Wilde.

Will pass on the drink, but the wine sounds intriguing.  We have salmon in the freezer, but tonight it will be chili, as our highs are supposed be be in the 50sF.

I am also very concerned about @kazu Jacqui and Jose.  Sending very, very positive thoughts for both of them during this trying time.

@grapau27  Glad to hear that Pauline is better with only a sore place where she was jabbed.

@cat shepard  Loved the snowman/snowdog meme.

@summer slope  Sorry about the flat tire.  They can be a bummer.

@Rowsby  Loved the dog picture.  Now, that is tired.

@marshhawk  I totally agree with you about the excessive lights some people leave on all night.  DH is an amateur astronomer, and we spend in the winters in the desert for that reason.  Each year, more and more neighbors leave spotlights on, and not only aim them at our bathroom window, but light up the trees and night skies.  😱

@Crazy For Cats Aruba is a great place to wander arund town or rent a car and explore the island.

@StLouisCruisers and @sailingdutchy  Loved the pictures of Tallin.

@Cruisercl   Welcome to the Daily, which I'm sure you know is the nicest place on CC.  Don't be a stranger.

@NextOne  Glad your DDIL saw the doctor and likes that the doctor is taking an interest in her case and in finding answers.

@1ANGELCAT  Confidence in your doctor is important, and I'm sure you will make the right decision for you.

@Sharon in AZ  You're not the only one who had trouble logging in to CC today.  It took me the better part of an hour.  😱

@durangoscots  We've driven the highway between Durango and Ridgeway many times, and I know what you mean about the turns and dropoffs.  The truck driver was lucky to survive.  We've only driven it once in our motorhome -- NEVER AGAIN!

@SFO PETER  Welcome to the Daily.

We have been to Tallin three times, 2003 on Rotterdam, 2005 on Marco Polo and 2016 on Prinsendam.  It is a lovely place, and the old town is magical.  I have a few pciures to add to the mix, and maybe one is a repeat.

In 2003, while walking down a back street in the old town, we passed this bar that had a Texas flag flying outside, and it may have been called Texas Bar, but don't hold me to that.  The inside is a Texas type bar.

IMG_2042.thumb.JPG.4f9070cb8a8bc7f1275bd0119d21bd67.JPG

An interesting downspout

DSC05070.thumb.JPG.cb5bf08db7027d8abe05c3f935fbe810.JPG

The big square once you've climbed the street to the top.

IMG_2023.thumb.JPG.246dd5f9f3b60a6c344c20354d9b491c.JPG

Another interesting street in the old town.

IMG_2019.thumb.JPG.2bf776fada54c6b2ff2543fa866e32e7.JPG

The view from the top of the old town

IMG_2026.thumb.JPG.7f2fd9c088ef30677c9be200393eb61f.JPG

IMG_2027.thumb.JPG.7b1b9a2d5efaeb3483ebd6169b5fa8f1.JPG

The area outside the hall where the choral contests are held.  A wooden submarine, and a couple of interesting boats.

DSC05056.thumb.JPG.19cd2e65c54f9d38c88e0fc1b9ba46f7.JPG

DSC05057.thumb.JPG.a4308a4f8527e8312a035a719f93882f.JPG

Looking at the plaza/transportation hub from the old town

IMG_2045.thumb.JPG.949ae485e964e318c7e825428572d18e.JPG

In 2005 and 2016, we took the Ho-Ho to see more of Tallin.  These are scens from the 2005 Ho-Ho.

IMG_5321.thumb.JPG.c74fd66a3ea4134f7d6a61b39c742150.JPG

IMG_5323.thumb.JPG.9312fb7d5d5c06c24ff52d4f4edd134d.JPG

IMG_5325.thumb.JPG.557505de7d71ffefc56f5b3f23f8b043.JPG

Now, it's time to finish the Christmas decorations and then bake the gingerbread cookies.  In other words, another busy day.

Lenda

Rotterdam 2005 - here is the front of the Texas bar (I was a Texas at the time so this was a necessary shot) and the front of another interesting bar as well. We were there later as well, but I'm sure the photos are much the same as the others that have been posted.

Tallinn, Estonia017.JPG

Tallinn, Estonia018.JPG

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Cruisercl said:

I am a self-confessed lurker....😊

Thought I would duck in to say hi to everyone. Not a big poster usually.

I have been to Tallin, Estonia, no pictures, but it is a beautiful small country with a really intersting culture and history.

Prayers and hugs (too familiar?) to everyone during these tough times in our lives, some more difficult than others.

Cheers to all as we all need some joy.

Take care!

Welcome to a really friendly thread @Cruisercl.

Graham.

• Like 16

51 minutes ago, tjcox9 said:

Rotterdam 2005 - here is the front of the Texas bar (I was a Texas at the time so this was a necessary shot) and the front of another interesting bar as well. We were there later as well, but I'm sure the photos are much the same as the others that have been posted.

Tallinn, Estonia017.JPG

Tallinn, Estonia018.JPG

Hey, looks like we all liked the Texas bar!  I took a photo too in 2011.  Then a photo of the Hell Hunt with a very different nameplate on the front.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJMJosE54ftt6IiYvxifWrf?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616110976

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL5sUJZa8H1ZFjeMwQOHYJY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616110975

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I wonder what his living arrangements and if somebody is checking on him daily.

Roy

I found a Father McGeean at Sts. Peter and Paul parish in Naperville, Illinois.  He is the right age range and his picture looks like @Himself has described himself.  If this is the one, he is living in a community and I'm sure he is being monitored.

I worry quite a bit because he is older and diabetic.  He refused the vaccine, which could make this really tough on him.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 17

I did find my other photos from Tallin - Prinsendam 2013 and there are a couple that haven't been seen yet, I believe. These are from the flower market and I believe they called this other area "the sweater wall".

Tallinn-016.JPG

Tallinn-017.JPG

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Good morning and thank you all!  Would love to have a lemon cupcake or like ancient wanderer a lemon scone!  Have tea everyday, usually four kinds,  green tea passion fruit is my favourite! 
We’ve been to Tallinn  twice, I have a lovely hand knit mohair sweater I bought there,  it is also famous for pianos.  

@cat shepardthat wine sounds interesting,  that is a nice area of France also famous for Banyuls a dessert wine, yum! 

• Like 20

1 hour ago, AncientWanderer said:

A quick special shout-out here to @Quartzsite Cruiser for the photo with the monkeys she posted at the end of the day yesterday.  Lenda, I've been to Phuket and an animal park there.  You are one brave lady!!  

I don't know if I was brave, or just young(er) and foolish.  🤣 Anyway, it was fun.  DH did not get the picture of the monkey in my lap.  

This was at a  monkey "school" where they trained the monkeys, who were used to being around humans.  The monkeys were trained to climb the tall palm trees and trow the cocnuts down, among other things.

The monkeys were a lot better behaved that the ones in the Sacred Monkey Forest in Bali or the ones in Gibraltar.

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

Quartzsite-Besides the desert, there are still a few towns that pride themselves in being Dark sky friendly.  Several years ago DH and I went to Cedar Key (not in the keys) to a dark sky party.  A full week of amateur astronomers who set up telescopes through out the town, and you walked from one  person to another to see different constellations, nebula and so on.  We came home, and DH got a telescope  for Christmas that year.  Which I think he used twice, and now says he cant find the battery to operate it.  Oh well, I was the physics minor in college, and I love the night sky.

There is also a dark sky night park between Atlanta and Athens GA.  But when i think of putting up a tent these days, my back screams at me, and that is the end of the idea.

Question dear friends-how do you get the person's name moved into your reply to  something they posted.  

Arizsona is a sky friendly state, requiring downward lights, with most places complying.  BUT, in our neighborhood outside of Quartzsite, there are a bunch of individualists, who don't think rules, or repecting others' wishes or rights applies to them.  There was a huge discussion last winter on the neighborhood FB page, with one woman really getting nasty about people asking others to be careful with their lights.  No one said don't turn on your lights, just please aim them so they only light your lot.  That fell on deaf ears.

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

@marshhawk, you can bring up a poster's name by using the @, then typing the name and a list (hopefully) will appear if you've done it right!  Then click on the name you want, and it will be highlighted in your post.  Half the time, I forget to do the last, and have to start over again!

I'll add one thing to @Vict0riann Ann's information.  Sometimes, at least for me, the list doesn't appear, or it disappears while I'm typing the name.  If that happens, just back out of what you typed and try again.  Remember, if at first you don't succeed, try, try again.  Could that be the CC motto? 😁

The Christmas decorations inside and out are finally finished.  Now, to make the icing and bake the cookies.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 21

1 hour ago, tjcox9 said:

Tallinn, Estonia017.JPG

Tallinn, Estonia018.JPG

18 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Hey, looks like we all liked the Texas bar!  I took a photo too in 2011.  Then a photo of the Hell Hunt with a very different nameplate on the front.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJMJosE54ftt6IiYvxifWrf?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616110976

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL5sUJZa8H1ZFjeMwQOHYJY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616110975

I thought we'd taken a picture of the outside of the Texas bar, but couldn't find it.  Thanks for adding those pictures.

Lenda

• Like 15

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

The Bill of Rights is very important. Haven't had a lemon cupcake. I'm mainly a coffee drinker, but like some English teas, and Chai tea.

Interesting quote.

I'll pass on fish, as usual, and the drink. The wine sounds interesting.

I haven't been to today's destination. Thanks for the pictures @StLouisCruisers @sailingdutchy @Quartzsite Cruiser @tjcox9

It's cloudy here, but warm. BFF said he slept ok, but had not tried any food or drink yet, as yesterday any eating brought on significant mouth pain. I told him I could get Boost or Ensure for him if he still couldn't eat.

@kazu Prayers for Jose and you.

@rafinmd Thanks for including BFF on the care list.

@Himself I hope you are doing alright.

@grapau27 I'm glad to hear that Pauline's symptoms from the shot are waning.

@summer slope Sorry about the flat tire.

@Cruisercl Welcome to the Daily!

@NextOne I'm glad to hear DDIL is getting more investigation to sort out her issues.

@Cruising-along Disney is fabulous at Christmas! I've only been to Disneyworld.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone. I heard a stat that 1 out of 100 people over 65 are getting Covid. At least being vaccinated should make it a milder illness.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

We stopped in Tallinn, Estonia on our Baltic cruise in 2011; we went on the cruise with 4 other couples, both family, and friends.  We all decided to head to one of the outdoor bars for our traditional "beer in every port" which turned into a couple,  and we spent more time there than we planned.  Two of the ladies had to use the facilities, so they went off together, while the rest of us enjoyed the sights around the bar.  They ended wandering off on their own, while the rest of us figured out where we were going.

At that point I knew if I didn't go to the restroom, I wouldn't be walking far before having to find one, so went into the same facility our friends had gone to.  While in there, I realized they both had left their lightweight jackets hanging behind the door (there was only 1 washroom), so after washing my hands, I tossed their jackets over my arm and went outside.  

DH and I broke off from the group and did some touring, all the while, carrying our friends' jackets, wishing we would run into them.  It wasn't until we got back to the ship and were sitting having a pre-dinner cocktail that everyone got together again - at which point, I told the two ladies that the jackets that they'd forgotten in the washroom were waiting for them in our cabin.  They looked at me like I had 3 heads and laughed saying they hadn't forgotten jackets, and that it looks like I just stole 2 jackets from some other tourists.    I felt awful!  I ended up taking the pilfered jackets to Guest Services and told them my tale of woe.  They laughed, and said they'd probably end up leaving them with the port authorities during next stop at Tallinn, but it was unlikely they'd be reunited with their owners, especially if they were on a cruise as we were.

Now if there's an article of clothing left on the hook of a washroom, I don't try to be a Good Samaritan, I just  keep on walking.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 9
  • Haha 16

@dfish, you are quite the sleuth!  Good work.

@tjcox9and @bennybearI too supported the sweater wall, and @ger_77 we had a lovely day there and some libation!

It is very warm and very windy in northeast Oklahoma today.  We have a moderate storm risk, but it looks as if Iowa is at higher risk.  Stay safe everyone.

• Like 17

Happy Wednesday!  Good day for me---I go to the audiologist and finally get my hearing aids programmed into my new cell phone.  I have really missed that feature after I got my new cell phone.

I have loved all of the pictures of Tallin, as it is on the itinerary for my Baltics cruise on Rotterdam in 10/22.  It looks like it will be a nice port stop.

I join everyone else in my concern with health problems, especially @kazuand @Himself.  I think you have the correct name for the good Padre, @dfish.  We met him and talked several times while on the (old) Statendam in 2005 going to/from Hawaii.

Windy here today, but not as bad as other Colorado points.  @durangoscots, are you talking about 160 or 550?  I refuse to go over Red Mountain and haven't since about 2002.  I can't quite figure out what pass you are talking about on 160.  I even got out the map to look.

Have a great rest of the day, everyone!

• Like 17