The Daily for Tuesday 01/11/2022

richwmn

7 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good afternoon everyone and Happy Tuesday!  It has taken me a bit to get through the long Daily today and most of the time I was in CC jail, not able to like or post, but that is becoming normal. 

Okay, I just had to start over. Somehow when I was trying to insert a screen name with an @ it got stuck on a name and I couldn’t remove it.  And then there was yesterday (which I won’t talk about) but at least @Quartzsite Cruisersaw my posts. It’s just not my week. But at least CC saved what I had started typing right now. 

Lenda  @lindaler Welcome Home!

Joy @Seasick Sailor sorry that you are not staying onboard but I’m sure you will have many sailings in your future. 

Sandi @StLouisCruisersHappy birthday to Ren!

Lenda  @Quartzsite Cruiser Happy belated Birthday to your DD. 

Prayers to those on the Care list and extra thoughts and prayers to Jose, Jacqui, Roy, Tana. 

Take care everyone and have a great day. 

I liked your post day before yesterday, so you're not losing your mind or anything.   🙃

• Like 12

1 minute ago, rafinmd said:

Since I did my list another number of contributors have come up including @dobiemom, @kb4683, @Lcubed, @HAL Sailer. @lindaler. @sailingdutchy, @nancynana9950. @St. Louis Sal. @Norseh2o, @tjcox9, @GeorgeCharlie. @Oceansaway17. and @Copper10-8, most of whom have posted today.  Thank you all.  I'm also thinking of @DeeniEncinitas and hoping things are ok with her.

Roy

Roy your list of shout outs this morning was so kind of you.  Thanks from me, and I'm sure everyone else appreciated it as well.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I liked your post day before yesterday, so you're not losing your mind or anything.   🙃

Thank you Sandi. 

Also, sorry to hear about your problems with the passport photos but at least it’s done and checked off your list. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I just got some sad news, and I'm in shock, I can't believe it.  Two women I worked with both passed away last week.  😞  One died of liver cancer that apparently wasn't diagnosed until just before Christmas (she was only in her 60's).  She kept it quiet, and nobody knew. She was working up until a few weeks before her passing.   The other had a stroke, she was about 70 and retired.  😞  

I am so sorry. I hope wonderful memories help ease your pain. This is not easy to deal with even when prepared for it, worse for those left behind when it is sudden. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

I hear today was the coldest day in about 3 years in my area.  I took my walk right after the sun came up  to use our mall while there there were as few people present as possible.  It was the most comfortable walk I have had wearing a mask in at least a couple of months.  Many of my radiation side effects seem to be gradually decreasing including a somewhat better energy level although I still poop out early in the evening.

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I hear today was the coldest day in about 3 years in my area.  I took my walk right after the sun came up  to use our mall while there there were as few people present as possible.  It was the most comfortable walk I have had wearing a mask in at least a couple of months.  Many of my radiation side effects seem to be gradually decreasing including a somewhat better energy level although I still poop out early in the evening.

Roy

That is great news Roy! I believe it's all the prayers being lifted.

I also want to thank you for the very sweet lists today. Much time, thought,  and effort.

Blessings!

• Like 13

Thanks for the work that everyone puts in to make the Daily interesting and thought provoking.

We have no puddles in SW MI.  We went to the grocery at 7 am this morning and it was 11 degrees outside with a strong south wind blowing all day.   Just a dusting of snow, I can take the cold but I hate the snow because is shoveling and making the roads tricky.  So far in the last 2 weeks I have been able to get a mammogram and pulmonary doc dodging snow - really nice.

I love the chipotle butter on corn.  I had a recipe from Bon Appetit that I would slow roast two garlic cloves in olive oil in the oven then squeeze them out into a pan of melted butter.  Then minced red onion was softened in the butter, a squirt of lime juice and about 2T of chopped  chipotles in the mix.  Then on the corn - yum!   

Today's wine - I didn't find any comment on it but I think it is so hard to find because it is only sold at the winery.   Wouldn't be a favorite for me either.   We visited Williams Selyem in 2013 celebrating our 60 and 70th birthdays and have been on their mailing list since we tried to visit them in 1997.  

We have pricklies in Michigan too.  I had a picture of a baby Porcupine but darned if I could find it.   

Prayers for Tana, Jose, and all those suffering loss or illness.   🙏  

• Like 17

9 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

So happy to hear that Roy.    There was an interesting article in the NYT a week ago about another female conductor - I believe from Scandanavia - coming to the US to conduct and I thought of you.  I hope you can make it to the BSO this month.    

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

The CC gremlins have been after me for a week😱. Wish they’d fix the problem. Like @ger_77i buy clothes by weight. Too heavy and it doesn’t make the cut no matter how much I like it unless I can figure out how to wear it on land. 75% of my travel shopping is for dinner clothes. My DH and I dress every night for dinner- it’s part of our cruise experience and the opposite of our dinner in front of the TV. We never did before, it was always at the dining room table, but when we got off the Maasdam in March 2020 we were so starved for news about what was happening with the C - word that we were glued to the tv and haven’t broken the habit yet. Hopefully our February cruises will be the warm. 

Prayers for all who need it especially Tana and Jose and cheers for all celebrating negative test, birthdays, new family members and new exercise bikes!

would love to see a picture of Miss Camilla ❤️.

• Like 19

54 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

I am so sorry  to  hear about  your friends.

My condolences  to you and their families. 

Thank you so much.

50 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

My gosh, that really is quite a shocking finding!  To hear of both at once doubles the sadness.  I'm so sorry for your friends' families and other friends.  🙏

Thank you Sandi -- yes, to hear of both at the exact same time doubles the shock indeed. 😞  

39 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

@Cruising-alongDeepest sympathy on the passing of your friends.  Prayers to their families.

Thank you!

15 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Carolyn @Cruising-along, I am so sorry about the loss of your two friends. Prayers for their families. 

Thank you so much Sharon.

14 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

I am so sorry. I hope wonderful memories help ease your pain. This is not easy to deal with even when prepared for it, worse for those left behind when it is sudden. 

Thank you, it was such a shock...

7 minutes ago, bennybear said:

@Cruising-along  I am so sorry to hear your sad news.  Life is so fragile, and to lose two colleagues is so very hard.  

Thank you.  It really does make me realize how fragile life is.  

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Norseh2o said:

Thanks @HAL sailer for the chart, I am mostly a lurker, I try to read the Daily every day, don 't post much as my days seem less exciting than many and the cc gremlins do prevent me from adding to posts an/or liking so many of the clever and thoughtful happenings.  

I doubt your days are any less exciting than mine.  I went to the pool, went to physical therapy, drove around looking for the sewing machine repair shop (it moved), and stopped by the grocery store for a lime.  

3 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Lenda,thanks for asking.DD works in non profit management and does not have a medical background. She was overwhelmed by the equipment  and the noise in the ICC.Her sister only spoke briefly but she did meet with the main pulmonoligist. Unfortunately, the situation  is guarded at best but we are hoping there will be a positive change soon.The hardest part of course was explaining  this to Tana's  son.The hospitals in our city and NYC are slammed with patients  and DD said everyone looked exhausted.

I'm sorry to hear that Tana's condition is so poor.  I hope they are making sure she is comfortable.  This is a horrible disease.  

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

I just got some sad news, and I'm in shock, I can't believe it.  Two women I worked with both passed away last week.  😞  One died of liver cancer that apparently wasn't diagnosed until just before Christmas (she was only in her 60's).  She kept it quiet, and nobody knew. She was working up until a few weeks before her passing.   The other had a stroke, she was about 70 and retired.  😞  

I am so sorry, Carolyn.  It is so hard when a relatively young person dies so suddenly.  My best friend from junior high on died in her sleep when she was 42.   It was the way we all want to go, just 50 years too soon.

16 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

I am very happy to hear that the energy level is coming back up.  I know you booked some cruises and we want you to be in tip top shape for them!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, dfish said:

I am so sorry, Carolyn.  It is so hard when a relatively young person dies so suddenly.  My best friend from junior high on died in her sleep when she was 42.   It was the way we all want to go, just 50 years too soon.

Thanks Debbie, my condolences to you too.  And 42 is way too young.  So sad.

I just found out my friend (another Debbie) was 55, so younger than I had thought.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Roy, our weather turned completely around.  Last week at this time we were -25 F and today we are up to 48 F.  Almost a summer day here, and we are supposed to have three days like this.  Sorry you have the cold we had last week.

• Like 15

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily and all contributors.

Fun days. I don't know my name in morse code, puddles are frozen, and would love to shop for travel again one day.

Great quote.

The corn sounds good, but none around in winter. The drink looks good. I'll pass on the wine.

I have been to Tasmania, on my first HAL cruise, from Auckland to Sydney in 2006. But we docked at Burnie.

It's cold but sunny here. I'm late today, delayed by fussing with things. First I was trying to set up firesticks to make 2 upstairs TV's smart. The remote wouldn't connect on 1, so I was searching online, then finally got it to work. Then I set up my new Breville countertop air fryer oven that was my holiday present to myself. Then discovered my printer wouldn't turn on. I tried all kinds of things, but nada. Now to find a replacement that is an all in one - print, scanner, fax.

@kazu Continued prayers for Jose, his medical team and you.

@smitty34877 Prayers for Tana.

@rafinmd Good for you for sleeping in! Continuing to regain your strength I see; that's great. Awesome list today!

@puppycanducruise How exciting for your friends!

@msmayor It sounds like the Zoom shower is the way to go, unfortunately. It'll still be fun.

@StLouisCruisers Happy Birthday to Ren.

@aliaschief I do hope SIL's procedure controls the Afib.

@Crazy For Cats Woohoo on DH's negative test.

@jimgev Hopefully you'll be seeing great, after the other eye is done.

@dobiemom I hope your back feels better soon.

@lindaler Welcome back. And safe travels home.

@Horizon chaser 1957 I have an amaryllis that only gets leaves yearly but no blooms. I'll have to try your suggestions this year.

@Cruising-along So sorry to hear of the death of two of the women you worked with. Prayers for you and their families.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers to that great Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone and wear your mask. We're at a 36% positivity rate here!

...- .- -. . ... ... .-   Vanessa

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

So sorry to hear about your friends.  Sending prayers for strength and comfort to you and your friend's families.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Lenda,thanks for asking.DD works in non profit management and does not have a medical background. She was overwhelmed by the equipment  and the noise in the ICC.Her sister only spoke briefly but she did meet with the main pulmonoligist. Unfortunately, the situation  is guarded at best but we are hoping there will be a positive change soon.The hardest part of course was explaining  this to Tana's  son.The hospitals in our city and NYC are slammed with patients  and DD said everyone looked exhausted.

Will  say  extra  prayers  that  the  good  Lord  grants her healt back,

Jim,

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Looking at the photos of Tasmania...did anyone see wombats there?  I can tell from photos that at least @sailingdutchywent to the same animal preserve that we did.  There were baby wombats there that were adorable.  I really wish I had a picture.  As I recall, they were all snuggled in blankets with a caretaker, so we couldn't get very good photos.  If you google baby wombats, you'll see what I mean.  Cuddly!

• Like 11

Boy, you leave the Daily for a few hours, and it's now three pages longer.  While our day may not have been too exciting, it has been busy.  I finally got around to reorganizing both freezers so I would know what we have and what needs to be eaten before we head back to Texas later this spring.  All the builky items need to be eaten as the motorhome freezer is not that big, even though our refrigerator is 12 cuft.  No surprise that I found some things I'd completely forgotten about.  By the time I finished unloading and reloading the freezers, my hands felt like they had made a trip to the "frozen tundra".  😁

Then, my computer decided to act up twice.  There is a slight glitch between Sony and Microsoft so that often when there is an update, the computer can't find the operating system when it restarts.  The fix is not that hard, just have to turn it off, restart it, turn it off, and restart it again.  The third time seems to be the charm.  The wrinkle today was that while I was posting it shutdown again.   At least, Chrome will restore the pages that are open.

We took the Polaris Ranger out for a short ride in the desert.  That is always a fun thing even if it is so dry and dusty.  After that, we drove into town to see if more poeple had come it, and they had.  We also filled two gas cans so we can refill the Ranger and the RZRs.

As I said, not exciting, but typical and busy.

Yesterday, DH got a new telescope and wouldn't you know it, it was cloudy last night and looks like it will be again tonight.  Then there is the full moon next Monday, which always makes looking at stars difficult. 

The telescope is very well traveled.  It was built in France, and shipped here through Germany.  From there, it had the import scan done in Lexington, KY, before flying to Phoenix.  That is when things got interesting.  Instead of putting it on a truck to Blythe and then to Quarzsite, it was sent by plane to Ontario, CA.  Next leg of the journey was back to Lexington for another import scan before returning to Phoenix.  It spent the weekend in Goodyear, AZ, before finally making it to Blythe and Quartzsite.  I think the telescope is better traveled that we have been in the past two years.  🤣

@sailingdutchy, @tjcox9, @GeorgeCharlie and @JazzyV  Thank you for your photos of Tasmainia.  I want to go there even more now.

@jimgev  Glad yur cataract sugery was successful and good luck with the other eye next week.

4 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

This morning I mentioned to Pat I figured we had better get that exercise bicycle the doctor suggested, and he immediately took me up on it (and invited me for lunch), so we will be heading out as soon as I can get myself organized.  I decided the way to incentivize myself to ride it every day is to tell myself I'm not allowed to read the Daily until I have done my exercise, I wonder if that will work?

Ann, I have an idea.  Rig up a way to read the Daily while your are using the exercise bicycle.  You'd get two things done at the same time.

4 hours ago, Norseh2o said:

No puddles for jumping today but will Shop for Travel! I think that I will start to shop with what is in the closet as we prepare for Hawaii with DD and family next week and then the long awaited Zuiderdam trip in February!  Both trips need the same type of hot weather clothes, DH is wondering how 'gala' is our Gala Night on the ship, does "collared" shirt include polos and Hawaii shirts?!  

For the past few years, DH has not taken a jacket on a cruise.  He will wear a collared shirt, and maybe his navy sweater.  This last cruise, he also wore a short sleeved shirt on Gala night.  I did see the hostess tell one man he needed to change to a collared shirt, but basically I saw just about everything, even "formal" shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops in the MDR. 

2 hours ago, cunnorl said:

Good Afternoon from a very windy day at the beach

Very late today, I had to attend a funeral this morning. He was a wonderful man, career in the Air Force. The  whole  family are/were in the Air Force so you can imagine it was quite the service.  2 of his daughters are friends of mine..

Charlene

Sorry for the loss of your friend and your friends' father.

2 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

🤦🏼‍♀️
To be fair, I may have written Sunday, but at least the photo was the Tuesday mat. Now I know who reads, and who just looks at pictures!

That last sentence might not be entirely true.  There are some of us who saw Sunday, but were too polite to say anything.  😉

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Carolyn, my condolences on the loss of your co-workers and friends.  What a shock that was.

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

@Quartzsite CruiserLenda, loved the Covid test meme.  Sounds like an interesting way to test yourself.  Got a chuckle out of it!

Well this morning's attempt to get our passport photos started out badly.  We tried the UPS store, and they were a little busy.  Two employees only.  One of them started by taking our photos.  She went away and was messing with the camera and equipment for a while.  Then she needed to re-take our photos.  After that she kept answering phones while trying to do the photos.  She brought me mine finally and they looked "okay".  But after nearly  an hour she returned with 2 x 2 inch photos of DH and his face took up the whole picture and the top of his head was cut off.  Totally unnaceptable!  Meanwhile the store was slammed with people waiting to get their business done.  They were out the door waiting!  When we saw DH's photos we said no thank you and I'll do my photos over somewhere else as well, so we left.  What a disaster!  We immediately headed to a Walgreens photo department where he had us out the door in 15 minutes.  My photos meet the bare minimum of 1" from chin to top of head but I think it's acceptable. It says in the instructions that dimension is to be from 1" to 1 3/8".   I wish it didn't have to be this hard to accomplish a task!  Glad to be back home reading the Daily.❤️

I think I'd rather try the covid test with wine -- red or white, whichever is appropriate.

Glad you got your passport photos, but what a mess.  At least, that is out of the way for anotheh ten years.

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Roy, I'm glad you are geting your staminia back, even if it is slow.  Glad the walk was so much more comfortable with the mask.

40 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

It's cold but sunny here. I'm late today, delayed by fussing with things. First I was trying to set up firesticks to make 2 upstairs TV's smart. The remote wouldn't connect on 1, so I was searching online, then finally got it to work. Then I set up my new Breville countertop air fryer oven that was my holiday present to myself. Then discovered my printer wouldn't turn on. I tried all kinds of things, but nada. Now to find a replacement that is an all in one - print, scanner, fax.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers to that great Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone and wear your mask. We're at a 36% positivity rate here!

...- .- -. . ... ... .-   Vanessa

Vanessa, I hope after this morning, you have banished the electronic gremlims.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, marshhawk said:

ok, this may be a weird thing, but I think that January should be celebrated by wearing yellow or orange.  Something bright and cheerful to wipe out the snow from our eyes, and cold from our ears.

Grandpa always used to say, the bluer the sky, the worse the storm.  And our skies have been an incredible blue for the last two days.....weather this weekend?  Rain, and temps down to 32.  hmmmm.

Think I'll wear my orange shirt today! 

I got orange shirts for Holland America kings day celebrations!  I even have an orange wig they were distributing one cruise!

• Like 10

27 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

@Cruising-alongCarolyn, that is very sad news about your friends.  And probably very, very jarring to you.  My sincere condolences.  😞

So  sorry  for  the  loss  your friends,  May  they  both  RIP and  the  lord 

comfort  their  famlies.

Jim.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1