Advice for Florida Girl going to Alaska.

Hi all,

We are going to Alaska in May on Quantum of the Seas. This Florida girl has never even seen snow and I don't have any winter clothes. Is there any must haves that I need? I don't want to buy a bunch of clothes that I will never wear again. Also, is it possible to travel with one large suitcase a piece?

Thanks in advance.

I went to the dollar store for a pack of ponchos. Take up very little space and rain likely. I didnt see any snow, just glaciers. I bought a nice coat, maybe fleece with bears on it in onboard store. My other coats took up too much space, I only packed my hoodie. They say layers, though I dont have a lot of layered clothes. 

I went to that national park with a glacier where it poured and was sure glad of the rain poncho I bought for $1. I did have plenty of obc so worked for me and the jacket wasnt that bad. If you go thru rcl they will provide the rain ponchos. 

• Like 3

If it were me, I'd bring a two piece jacket.  A one piece water/rain proof outer shell and a removeable fleece liner.  That gives you plenty of options depending on the weather and the temps.

Meanwhile I'm trying to imagine what life would be like if I had never seen snow...

Edited by Cigar King
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

No need for a heavy jacket. A few layers of thinner clothes, mid-weight hoodie / sweatshirt, waterproof outer layer / poncho, water-resistant shoes (or spray) if walking on any glaciers, hat & gloves if any glacier viewing days.

if Ketchikan is your first stop, they have stores at the port that sell shirts, jackets, hoodies, etc. at reasonable prices. If you find you did not pack enough, you can always get something there to keep you warm and have as a souvenir.

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 2

Completely agree with Cigarking.  Layers.  We’ve been to Alaska twice (loved it so much the first time, HAD to go back, and hope to again).  Definitely consider a fleece zip up or sweatshirt type hoodie and then a waterproof rain type jacket.  Most times I didn’t need both.  First trip by midday I didn’t even need a jacket, but you never know.  A slim pair of gloves or mittens wouldn’t hurt either.  But it also depends what you’re planning on doing or where you’re going.   I will say the coldest part was when the ship cruised to the glaciers.  

whatever you do, enjoy.  It is so worth the time.  Sites are AMAZING!

Erika

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In my experience,  it will be very cold up on deck in May.  You will need warm clothing.  If you don't want to buy a lot of clothing at least buy something that breaks the wind and layer under it.  Also a wooly hat will come in handy. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, IslandGirl3000 said:

Hi all,

We are going to Alaska in May on Quantum of the Seas. This Florida girl has never even seen snow and I don't have any winter clothes. Is there any must haves that I need? I don't want to buy a bunch of clothes that I will never wear again. Also, is it possible to travel with one large suitcase a piece?

Thanks in advance.

Snowing here today  🙂

20220116_114856.jpg

Edited by Jimbo

What everyone else said. Unless there is a (seriously) freak snow, you won’t be walking in it unless you take a helicopter ride to a glacier. BUT, rain is very possible, and highly probable. That rain jacket or poncho with a hood will be your best friend. That, and clothing layers, water resistant shoes. 

We are going again in May and I will be going thru my older sister and aunt’s luggage and eliminating all the heavy winter jackets, fleece, etc. 😂 They live on the gulf coast and just can’t believe it won’t be winter there. 

Have a great cruise! 

Edited by barbeyg
  • Like 1

Yes, layering is the key.

We always bring an umbrella...tends to keep the rain away from our glasses. Waterproof shoes...have heard many passengers say "My shoes are soaking wet...wish they were waterproof."

And one item that I highly recommend...lightweight, won't take much luggage space, water-resistant, and will keep you warm and toasty...a neoprene shirt or jacket...2mm, 3mm, or 5mm thick.

* Mother Nature can be finicky...we've been to Alaska when it was snowing, most times it rained, and even when it was hot.

I live in Florida and have been to Alaska twice. It’s not that cold during cruising season. Take a regular pair of hiking boots (Merrell, Timberland, Rockport), a rain jacket, a cardigan/light jacket, and if the weather looks cold the week before you go, then pack a regular winter coat, hat, and gloves. In May, you might use all of those, or might not. On my second trip I went in July 2018 and wished I’d packed more than one pair of shorts. It was sunny and very warm.

3 hours ago, IslandGirl3000 said:

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

We are also sailing Quantum in May, hopefully, and have also sailed that month in the past.  May is not in the rainy season but we did have some rain, so a waterproof jacket is a good idea.  We layer that with a lightweight fleece or a hoodie and a long sleeved shirt for cooler days.  In May, there is still snow on the mountain tops but everything isn't snow covered, so you don't need boots but a waterproof pair of low hiking boots are good or even a pair of sneakers you have sprayed with waterproofing.  Definitely a hat and gloves for when you are out on deck viewing the glaciers.  Most of our days were in the 50's to 60's, though we had one day in the 70's, so we were in shorts.  

May could be pretty cold still.

I went in June a few yrs ago and it snowed/rained with wind.  It was legit COLD and I  am used to it.

Base layer, mid layer with a a water proof outer layer would be my recommendation.  You can always remove a layer but you’ll be sorry if your short a layer I promise you that.  Boots/shoes that are waterproofed are also highly recommend.  Wet feet and socks are miserable even if the rest of you is dressed appropriately.

I recommend three "must have" clothing items. A fleece jacket, a rain suit (pants and coat) and a good pair of waterproof shoes. The fleece jacket will keep you warm. It also is fairly good at repelling rain. If it's raining, you're going to want a rain suit and waterproof shoes. Shore excursions/tours will happen rain or shine. You'll want to stay warm and dry.

• Like 1

Please leave your sweatshirt at home.  If it got wet it would take forever to dry.  Ideally, you would layer with a long sleeve tee, fleece vest, fleece jacket, and a breathable rain coat shell that is wind resistant.  These layers are easily taken off, or added on depending on your need.  Those of us in the Pacific NW grew up knowing that hypothermia happens, and quickly if you get wet and if there is any type of wind or breeze.  Fleece is your friend!

Check out the end of year sales - even Macy's has their fleece marked way down.

Also, leave your flip flops at home (unless for the spa), and invest in some waterproof shoes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IslandGirl3000 said:

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

Don't worry about wearing the same thing multiple times - Alaska is very casual and nobody really pays attention to what others are wearing.

A pair of dark jeans will go far unless it's raining and then they get damp/wet and are hard to dry. Take a pair of gloves and something for your head - if it's cold you would be surprised how much warmer you are if you don't have cold hands and cold ears.

Dinner is casual also - while some people dress up, many wear the same clothes they had on during the day.

• Like 1

Born and bred Texan here. First time to Alaska was in July and was told "bring a light jacket". Total BS. Absolutely froze while on-deck looking for wildlife (cold drizzly rain, low 40s with wind-chill in the low 30s). My wife and I hit the stores at the first stop to keep from freezing. Did another trip in May (Ovation inaugural 11-day) and weather was incredible. Only pulled out the big coat twice (while next to the glaciers). You never know other than ALWAYS expect a light, drizzly rain on 1 or 2 of the days. 

Lots of good advice here (layers, water-proof shoes, etc.). A couple of other things to think about:

1) Bring good, waterproof binoculars. You will definitely want this both on the boat and on several of the stops. Whales, eagles, etc are plentiful in May (typically too early for bears). 

2) If you bring a camera (or any other electronics), you need to plan for fogging. It will destroy cameras pretty quickly. Every time you go from outside to inside, put your camera in a 1-gallon zip-lock bag. This will help keep it from fogging when it goes from cold weather to hot/moist weather in the ship (the opposite of what you are used to in Florida). As an added benefit, you can also put the camera in the bag in case of a sudden rain. I also had a couple of extra micro-fiber towels for my glasses since I was always going in and out so constantly needing to wipe off the water/fog. 

3) Just about every stop has a free, nature walk for those that want to do a 3-4 mile hike. Good boots (and maybe a walking stick) are handy to have.  

Have fun.

• Like 2

We did a land tour/cruise in May, 2013.  It snowed like crazy in Anchorage where we spent 2 days before we started the tour.  My friend brought boots and a winter coat and she needed it.  I had a rain coat but several layers under.  The news anchors kept saying it was the latest they ever had snow in the Spring.  A few days after we boarded the ship, it was 70 degrees in Skagway.

A friend arrived in Anchorage on Memorial Day, the same day we disembarked the ship.  The temp was in the high 80's.  You have to be prepared for anything.   But the upside was no bugs.  Summer is horrible for the flies.