COVID patients in hotels-Port Canaveral

Meem47

Good morning all! It’s cruise day for us as we prepare to embark on Mariner of the Seas.  This will be our first cruise back since Oct 2019.  One observation us “northerners” have is noticing how many COVID patients are being quarantined in the surrounding hotels.  We are at the SpringHill and they have many patients as well as the Radission, Home2Suites etc. apparently this is “the new norm” in traveling.   Hotel has been great…just sharing for anyone immunocompromised or at risk.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Meem47 said:

Good morning all! It’s cruise day for us as we prepare to embark on Mariner of the Seas.  This will be our first cruise back since Oct 2019.  One observation us “northerners” have is noticing how many COVID patients are being quarantined in the surrounding hotels.  We are at the SpringHill and they have many patients as well as the Radission, Home2Suites etc. apparently this is “the new norm” in traveling.   Hotel has been great…just sharing for anyone immunocompromised or at risk.  🙂

How many is “many”?  Just curious!

15 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

How do you know who is quarentined in a hotel?

We don’t know who but it’s obvious bc of the meals being dropped off and sitting outside the room.  My husband took stairs down for coffee and went through first floor which every room in that hall had the meals being left outside the doors.  Not room service…all the same exact bags with the same contents. there is a “coordinator” in the lobby making sure they all get meals and we checked in around dinner time so got to see how they do it.  Employees say it’s very common now unfortunately. 

Edited by Meem47
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

You will find the same thing at many of the ports.  Royal has arranged with many of the hotels, so they have a place for those passengers quarantined on the ship to finish their quarantine. 

Yes I think this must be “normal” now, just not something I thought about when we were booking the hotel. 

6 minutes ago, Meem47 said:

Yes I think this must be “normal” now, just not something I thought about when we were booking the hotel. 

A little unnerving isn't it they would allow you on a floor with quarantine people, Hope you don't have an issue on the cruise.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

A little unnerving isn't it they would allow you on a floor with quarantine people, Hope you don't have an issue on the cruise.

Yeah for sure…seeing as though they offer cruise packages for guests it’s obvious many of their guests stay to get on a ship.  They would not have told us if we hadn’t been in the lobby when they were coordinated dinners and saw everything.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, irishgal432 said:

Also keep in mind that any crew coming over has to quarantine before boarding the ship for a bit.

This is true! That’s what I kept telling myself to not get nervous haha…maybe it’s just all crew and not all actively sick crew 

1 hour ago, Meem47 said:

Can only share our hotel but we saw the carts of meals being delivered…probably about 2 dozen meals.  

Interesting!  Thanks for your response!  We live here so I really was just curious! 

Have a great cruise!  We have cruised multiple times out of PC since September and all of our cruises have been wonderful!  

BTW - there is supposed to be a launch tonight with the launch window opening just after 6pm.  You should have a pretty good view of the launch and the booster return to land (which has become my favorite thing to watch) from the hotel parking lot!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Meem47 said:

Yeah for sure…seeing as though they offer cruise packages for guests it’s obvious many of their guests stay to get on a ship.  They would not have told us if we hadn’t been in the lobby when they were coordinated dinners and saw everything.  

Less you know the better they 🤔 

• Like 1

Well, there is an advantage to being in a hotel where you can possible tell where there are people quarantined because of Covid.

That is better than being unaware as one roams the port city that there is a good chance that one is being exposed to those that are contagious and no precautions are being taken.

• Like 1

I was recently thinking about how concerning this is. To me, it will increase the chances of people boarding their cruises with Covid without realizing it. You would think the cruise lines would choose hotels further away for quarantining passengers to reduce the risk that their new passengers would be staying in the same hotels. Some hotels do an excellent job cleaning, and others do not, so it’s just risky to me staying in one that may have had Covid patients right before you, especially if those patients use the same elevator or were told that they could go outside like I read some have been told. Plus, ships seem to be a lot more careful with Covid pax on board than hotels are on land.

29 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I was recently thinking about how concerning this is. To me, it will increase the chances of people boarding their cruises with Covid without realizing it. You would think the cruise lines would choose hotels further away for quarantining passengers to reduce the risk that their new passengers would be staying in the same hotels. Some hotels do an excellent job cleaning, and others do not, so it’s just risky to me staying in one that may have had Covid patients right before you, especially if those patients use the same elevator or were told that they could go outside like I read some have been told. Plus, ships seem to be a lot more careful with Covid pax on board than hotels are on land.

You could easily be on a plane, taxi, bus, hotel room, etc. with someone that has covid and don't know it.    There are so many asymptomatic people out there as well as people that feel like they have a cold but won't tell anyone so you just never know.

I would have thought the hotels would have separate floor(s) for those quarantining as they do onboard a ship.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Seems like the OP's husband used the stairs and went through the first floor on his own.

• Like 2

My first thought is crew being quarantined before boarding ships, not sick/positive tested people.  BTW, it's what they've been doing with crew all along.  Who exactly would be quarantining patients in hotels?  People are self-quarantining when necessary.  From all reports of those that have been tested positive  are free to travel in the US, but are expected to use precautions.   I think people need to take a step back and realize this post is probably completely incorrect in its assumption.

Having a block of rooms set up that way would require some kind of prior reservation, which makes sense for the cruise lines crews.

Edited by BND
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

You could easily be on a plane, taxi, bus, hotel room, etc. with someone that has covid and don't know it.    There are so many asymptomatic people out there as well as people that feel like they have a cold but won't tell anyone so you just never know.

I would have thought the hotels would have separate floor(s) for those quarantining as they do onboard a ship.   

The asymptomatic people might be in the supermarket in your home town, no need to travel to find them.  

• Like 2