Hawaii or greek islands

Cruisingrampy

Greek Isles for sure!  They are spectacular and everyone should cruise there.  Assuming you're in the U.S. you can always go to Hawaii, and I, personally, would not do a Hawaiian cruise, I'd go and visit Kauai or Maui for a week or so.  For me, Hawaii is the local lifestyle, beauty (Kauai is the most beautiful island) and beaches.  The Greek Islands is about visiting a variety of islands for the enormous history and differences.  

• Like 8

Greek Islands for history and culture.   Nothing wrong with Hawaii.   I didn't visit Hawaii until 2018 when we did a Transpacific cruise from Sydney to Seattle.   We visited Oahu for two days and one day in Maui.  

I loved the scenic places, but when our tour in Maui turned into a residential area and houses with abandoned cars rusting and hordes of garbage all around, it somehow took away some of the extra special nature of Hawaii.  However, I hear that the big island is the place to go.

Still, prior to going to Hawaii, I had seen some amazing scenic places like the the Azores, Maderia, Canary Islands as well as the Caribbean.

Each Greek Island has something different.  I could have spent a month in Crete.  Santorini and Mykonos are special even though loaded with tourists.  

• Like 2

A lil back story. Im from canada so i have a hawaii one booked cuz it leaves from canada and it seems just simpler. But i had never really looked into the greek isles before until yesterday and i would love to go. Just being from canada its almost to sketchy at the moment. Just wanted some feedback on both cruises to see if the greek one may be worth the headache haha

Most Hawaii cruises involve 4 sea days in each direction to reach the islands and then a visit to some of the islands, depending on the number of days in total. Scenery is beautiful. Hilo is very rainy.

Greek Islands....aah! There aren't many cruises that concentrate on the islands. Usually Italy is included.

Personally, I would fly to Athens. Spend some time there. Then choose 2-3 islands, depending on the number of days you have available. Papa mentioned Crete. Wonderful. So much history. We divided our time between Heraklion and an amazing  resort .  Santorini, although touristy, is amazing. We spent a week in Imeroviglia and we could walk to Fira (long walk). We even walked to Oia.  A huge hike! There is so much to see on both islands, it can't be done in one day.  And the food....forget cruise ship food!!!

Best Months would be May or September/early October.

We were booked on a Celebrity cruise May 2021 that did more Greek ports than usual. Of course, you know what happened to that cruise. Sadly.

• Like 2

I have done both cruises multiple times and they are totally different. I disagree that Hawaii has to be done as a land vacation. I have done both and while yes on a land trip you'll have more time to see and enjoy the nature and scenery for first timers to the Hawaiian islands a cruise is an easy way to get a taste of what the different islands have to offer. You can enjoy Waimea Canyon and Volcanos National Park just the same from a cruise as a land tour. Then when you get a flavor of what each island has to offer you can decide which island is your favorite and do a subsequent land vacation to that specific island. 

A Greek islands cruise offers more varied sightseeing and can be physically more challenging to navigate. 

• Like 1

Greece wins hands down!  Just do your research and you will not be disappointed.  You can easily see Hawaii in the future, so take advantage of foreign travel whenever possible.  You will not be disappointed!

I actually read this as Hawaii or Geek Islands!!!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

Greek Islands hands down.  Either a cruise or island hopping on your own via ferry.

The only time we go to Hawaii is when we do a stopover from Australia.  And then only for a day or two.

Edited by iancal
  • Thanks 1

I have not done a Greek Islands cruise yet (but would love to!)  I will give my experience of cruising Hawaii.  If you do it, I highly recommend doing the NCL Pride of America.  It gives you 2 days on each of the main Hawaiian islands.  Because of this, I was able to experience the uniqueness of each island and decide where I would want to spend a week.  Kauai won out as the clear winner and I have been there twice now for land visits (with a third planned.)  But I am really glad I got to experience all of them.  Of course this cruise would require you flying into Honolulu and is only 7 days.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, CruisnDeb said:

I have not done a Greek Islands cruise yet (but would love to!)  I will give my experience of cruising Hawaii.  If you do it, I highly recommend doing the NCL Pride of America.  It gives you 2 days on each of the main Hawaiian islands.  Because of this, I was able to experience the uniqueness of each island and decide where I would want to spend a week.  Kauai won out as the clear winner and I have been there twice now for land visits (with a third planned.)  But I am really glad I got to experience all of them.  Of course this cruise would require you flying into Honolulu and is only 7 days.

I have an 11 day one booked from van to hawaii spending a night at each island or 2 days i guess just cuz being a canadian i found that the easiest with everythibg going on right now

9 minutes ago, Cruisingrampy said:

I have an 11 day one booked from van to hawaii spending a night at each island or 2 days i guess just cuz being a canadian i found that the easiest with everythibg going on right now

we took a cruise like that in 2018. We really enjoyed it. We had 6 or 7 days cruising in the island plus a short land trip. We have also done a Greek island cruise and loved it also. If you haven’t done either, they are both worth doing. But they are so different that they are hard to compare. Greece is about history, culture, food. Hawaii is about beaches, sea life, and landscape.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cruisingrampy said:

Looks like you're doing a one way cruise leaving from VAN and flying back from Honolulu?

I would say Greek Isles hands down, but... with this virus, I'm not sure I would do it this year. It all depends on what testing requirements, restrictions, and rules are required to be followed at any of the Greek ports. Our Greek Isles cruise in 2019 was the best cruise we have ever taken!

That is a tough one.  Would be like asking New York or San Francisco.   They are as different as night and day.

We live on the West Coast and visit Hawaii often ans it is a short flight.   Beautiful beaches, outdoor life and temperate temperature.   Geese is also one of our favorites but for totally different reasons.   Antiquity,  a totally different culture than ours,  the food and drink, etc.

Best to do some research on each and see which matches your interests and things you enjoy doing on a cruise. 

• Like 1