Motion sensor lights in room

Alabaster Cruiser

Presently on Emerald Princess.  There are motion detector lights under each bedside table and in the ceiling in hallway to bathroom.  The bedside table lights go on every time the ship even lists slightly.  The one in the hallway goes on sometimes when clothes swing in the "closet" and anytime when someone opens the bathroom door.  During the night it is like trying to sleep on an airline runway!  Guest services says they can't be disconnected due to safety reasons.  We always have a nightlight for just such reasons.  The lack of uninterrupted sleep is not my idea of the ideal vacation.  The absolutely worse idea ever for a moving ship!

Edited by Alabaster Cruiser
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Alabaster Cruiser said:

Presently on Emerald Princess.  There are motion detector lights under each bedside table and in the ceiling in hallway to bathroom.  The bedside table lights go on every time the ship even lists slightly.  The one in the hallway goes on sometimes when clothes swing in the "closet" and anytime when someone opens the bathroom door.  During the night it is like trying to sleep on an airline runway!  Guest services says they can't be disconnected due to safety reasons.  We always have a nightlight for just such reasons.  The lack of uninterrupted sleep is not my idea of the ideal vacation.  The absolutely worse idea ever for a moving ship!

On the Ruby pre covid we just covered the sensors with duct tape.  If the one in the closet is too high the steward will do it for you.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Alabaster Cruiser said:

Presently on Emerald Princess.  There are motion detector lights under each bedside table and in the ceiling in hallway to bathroom.  The bedside table lights go on every time the ship even lists slightly. 

Can you cover the motion sensors?

Aluminum foil would be an excellent choice.

Also, it's often available wrapped around those pesky turn-down chocolates...

The light through the door peep-hole, and the indicator light on the thermostat always bothers me,

unless covered.

For a more boring solution, just ask in the dining room or buffet.

Edited by Roberto256

1 minute ago, Roberto256 said:

Can you cover the motion sensors?

Aluminum foil would be an excellent choice.

Also, it's often available wrapped around those pesky turn-down chocolates...

What chocolates? 

• Haha 3

Just now, Alabaster Cruiser said:

All good ideas but then you have no light at your closet area other than what comes from the bathroom.

In my experience you just cover the motion sensor in the closet not the light.  The light should still work with the switch.  We were on the Ruby not the ship you’re on.  Ymmv

1 hour ago, Alabaster Cruiser said:

All good ideas but then you have no light at your closet area other than what comes from the bathroom.

We take a couple of little battery powered tea lights (nice and small) and leave them in the bathroom. Just enough to light the way without blinding us. I also carry a small flashlight that can fit in my pocket, cause you never know when you might need one. 🤣

• Like 1

I’m 5’ 3” and stood on the bathroom step to put a piece of duct tape over the sensor in the closet area. That light is bright! I took it off in the every morning. It wasn’t a big deal. You can cover the sensors on the nightstands with tape or shove a pool towel in front of them. 

I am surprised to hear how many people pack duct tape; it has been on my packing list for about40 years!

Although I have read on here that the chocolates are no longer given out (and I plan on bringing my own pillow chocolates just in case), the evening turn-down chocolates are listed by Princess as a mini-suite and Club Class amenity.

3 hours ago, patrickmoran said:

Chocolates went the way of the towel animals

In our experience, most towel animals went away at least 15 years ago!  Our first Princess cruise (followed by 27 more) was in 2007 and I don't remember ever having towel animals for DH and me.  When our then 3 1/2 year old granddaughter was on our family cruise to Alaska in 2018 IIRC she did get a towel animal most, if not all, nights.

7 hours ago, Alabaster Cruiser said:

Agree, had same experience on the Ruby.  Will pack eye mask next trip. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

In our experience, most towel animals went away at least 15 years ago!  Our first Princess cruise (followed by 27 more) was in 2007 and I don't remember ever having towel animals for DH and me.  When our then 3 1/2 year old granddaughter was on our family cruise to Alaska in 2018 IIRC she did get a towel animal most, if not all, nights.

Agree…. We have never had towel animals on the Princess cruises we have been on over 15/years….

6 hours ago, Moondogy said:

No chocolates at turn down??? Guess I'll have to have 3 deserts instead of my normal 2 after dinner  🤣

I guess we will also.

Now wasn't eliminating the 3 cent piece of chocolate a real money saver. 😁 LOL

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I guess we will also.

Now wasn't eliminating the 3 cent piece of chocolate a real money saver. 😁 LOL

I do not know if they are permanently gone, but initially they were not given out as a Covid precaution.

One less reason for crew to enter the cabin and put something in the room that has been touched by crew.

32 minutes ago, caribill said:

I do not know if they are permanently gone, but initially they were not given out as a Covid precaution.

One less reason for crew to enter the cabin and put something in the room that has been touched by crew.

That sounds logical but we still want them to turn down the bed & leave fresh towels in the evening, plus leave paper copies of the patter.

The patter on the phone is absolutely terrible. That was a complete waste of time to develop.

Maybe the chocolates will return someday aftercall. 

9 hours ago, Moondogy said:

No chocolates at turn down??? Guess I'll have to have 3 deserts instead of my normal 2 after dinner  🤣

No chocolates, no turn down......

You can request turn down service but the norm is 1x a day service unless you request 2x a day.