Trays in the buffet

Geoffa30

Trays in the buffet  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Has Princess ever provided trays in the buffet?

• Yes, trays were available previously.
    • No, trays weren’t available previously.

Did Princess provide trays in the buffet prior to Covid? They do not have them currently on Sky Princess. I recall them being available before but another person suggested they have never seen them on Princess since they started cruising in 2012.

it's been posted ... that some cruisers order from room service, and then keep those trays for use during the remainder of the cruise.  And some have posted they even pack their own trays ...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, skynight said:

40+ cruises. Never remember trays in the buffet. Do remember maybe 10 or more years ago large oval shaped plates. 

I totally agree with you.  This is from a Google search on Princess trays in the buffet. It was from 2008. 

I have never seen trays at the Horizon court to carry food back to your table. Usually we just load up our plate and find a table holding the plate. This year, we have a cabin right underneath the Cafe Caribe and I would like to bring breakfasts back to the room. Does anyone know if/where I can get a tray to carry back both plates of food. I was thinking of just keeping a tray from room service ( I will certainly be ordering many beer packages) and using them to carry back both plates. I'm not sure if these trays will hold both plates however.

Thanks,

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, skynight said:

40+ cruises. Never remember trays in the buffet. Do remember maybe 10 or more years ago large oval shaped plates. 

Those are my recollections too.  The oval plates when we started cruising Princess in 2007 were replaced by the current plates a long time ago.

Never mind the tray, we had the hardest time queuing up or waiting for iced tea, water and silverware. Though dehydration would set in trying to get the iced tea.  LOL. 

The buffet was abysmal as compared to what we were accustomed to on another line. 

• Like 2

Although we haven't cruised since Covid, I don't remember trays in the buffet for several years.  But the dinner platters were a pretty large size although I didn't find them large enough to hold food and a beverage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

Those are my recollections too.  The oval plates when we started cruising Princess in 2007 were replaced by the current plates a long time ago.

We started in 2013. Can't remember when the oval plates disappeared, but trays disappeared at the same time. 

FYI: there's usually a small tray in the cabin that holds the water glasses that are provided...IIRC. Also, those who are Elite may find the mini-bar still on the delivery tray (we've had that happen numerous times). And, of course, there's always "borrowing" one from room service.

Not to derail this thread (but I will anyway).  I take a McD's twin cup holder to carry drinks back up from the IC or anywhere else.  I've also requested to keep the smaller tray that came with my mini-bar change out.  Of course, I leave them in the cabin when I disembark.  Never recall seeing trays in the buffet.

11 hours ago, voljeep said:

it's been posted ... that some cruisers order from room service, and then keep those trays for use during the remainder of the cruise.  And some have posted they even pack their own trays ...

I have used Room Service trays to get lunch and bring back to cabin.  I have also used a plate as a tray,  used to be plates were fairly large.  I could put items on the plate, cover with another plate and carry back to the cabin.  

Thanks everyone for your responses. Bit of a mixed bag on yes and no although more weighted to yes in the poll. Have asked our friends and they are of the same opinion as me - there were trays in the buffet. I would always have Bircher muesli at breakfast topped with a mountain of fruit and seeds plus some honey. Don’t ever remember doing this without a tray. Very strange.

18 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Never mind the tray, we had the hardest time queuing up or waiting for iced tea, water and silverware. Though dehydration would set in trying to get the iced tea.  LOL. 

The buffet was abysmal as compared to what we were accustomed to on another line. 

what ship were you on?   The wait staff has always brought drinks to my table, have not had to walk up and get it myself.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

what ship were you on?   The wait staff has always brought drinks to my table, have not had to walk up and get it myself.  

Of course they will but at peak times it sometimes faster to get your own drinks. 

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

We were on the Sky Princess TA 3/12 thru 3/28.....

At the lido, the wait staff would bring your drinks once they saw you and could get to you.  And we learned at breakfast to ask for two orange juices because they use shot glasses for that. 

You could also go to the beverage station area and ask for your iced tea or coffee.  And that was what we would do if we did not want to wait or if we were heading to the deck chairs and wanted to take a drink w/us.

Have been with Princess since 2001 and have never seen a tray in any buffet area.

I have always ordered room service on the first day and kept the tray for the remainder of the cruise.  In fact, my wife loves tea in the room so I always order a pot with that first order and keep the pot so that I can get her hot water and tea throughout the cruise.

• Like 1