Entitled Passengers !

Reina del Mar

9 minutes ago, Thrak said:

We have actually gotten off of an elevator in order to allow someone with mobility issues to get on. Weird, I know.

As a regular wheelchair user, thank you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

As a regular wheelchair user, thank you.

You are quite welcome. It's really not difficult to not be a jerk. I always wonder why people choose the other path in life. It doesn't seem like it would be a pleasant way to live.

• Like 12

45 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

In truth, six on a Princess elevator is not really socially distant at all in terms of Covid-19.  If they wanted to have a true protective policy it would be only one travel group or family on an elevator at a time. 

I agree.  But this goes back to the buy-in and the social contract.  If Princess sets the limit at 6, then we should buy in and honor their rule, as odd or ill-advised as we may think it is.  For years we all went to the muster drill because it is the rule--not because we thought we needed to.  Sometimes you have to listen to "the man."  The tension comes when some subset of know-it-alls decides that they know better.  We don't need people picking fights when a fourth person gets on the elevator because she thinks that 3 is the right number, and any more than that is going to kill her.  And we don't need fights when the 7th person tries to bully his way on because he thinks that 9 is the right number.  Social contracts require us to follow rules and hold our tongues as long as no harm is going to come from doing either.  It is astonishing how simple the concept is in theory and how difficult it is in practice.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, weedpindle said:

If you want to be absoultly sure you don’t get sick from overcrowing on a cruise ship, you need to not cruise on a ship.  There are no guarantees in life, and none on a ship, as there will be crowds throughout.  My government said that masks will keep us safe, then a shot or two will keep us safe, then keep a distance from another person, then a combination of two or three things,  now saying nothing will be totally effective. Complaining here or anywhere will not change a thing.

And there are ways we can all minimize infectious disease transmission.  Even pre-COVID and pre-masking, I would routinely see Princess passengers use the restroom facilities without washing their hands.  And no, these were not young yuppies nor millennials. 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

For years we all went to the muster drill because it is the rule--not because we thought we needed to.

In some ways I kind of miss the old muster drill. I always enjoyed trying to guess which idiot was going to put that nasty whistle in his/her mouth and blow it! 🤪

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

In some ways I kind of miss the old muster drill. I always enjoyed trying to guess which idiot was going to put that nasty whistle in his/her mouth and blow it! 🤪

or trip over the trailing strap even with repeated warnings to not drag your strap.

1 hour ago, Mike07 said:

And there are ways we can all minimize infectious disease transmission.  Even pre-COVID and pre-masking, I would routinely see Princess passengers use the restroom facilities without washing their hands.  And no, these were not young yuppies nor millennials. 

or the ones who skip washing their hands entering the buffet area because they are just walking through but manage to grab a plate and fill it up.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Can't be 50/50 because there are three banks of elevators.  

How many elevators in each bank?

Perhaps 1 group averages 2 floors  and the other 7 floors.

Maybe the open  face group has more stair climbers- how do we adjust for that

What about people that wear m asks only 1st half of cruise?

• Haha 2

It won't matter about the elevators.  People will always board the first one that gets there no matter how many people are on it.  We had a group of 10, yes 10 spring breakers get on.....which made 12 with us.  Then when we wanted to get off, they said rude things to us, even gave us the finger.  Even though we hadn't said a thing, just, "can you please let us out" since we were at the back of the elevator.

On our last cruise, I got off so many elevators and eventually just used the stairs. 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2022 at 1:39 PM, Reina del Mar said:

There are notices posted by each elevator that passengers should limit the number to six in elevators.

I am very disappointed to see some people trying to squash either friends or relative strangers into this limited space. When asked to follow the rule of six, some people tut and mutter thinking they are above the rules. I have asked on several occasions that the number is limited, only to feel I am asking for something that is ridiculous and that I am in the wrong.

Nobody is above the rules and more to the point, nobody wants to contract COVID !!!!!

Can't change others.  We try to avoid the crowd ourselves.  I found if I go early to an event, usually elevators are empty.  For example, if buffet opens at 5 pm, we may go up at 4 pm.  We are going to be cruising during the holidays, so ships will be fuller.  We are 90/75 so not up to doing the stairs, going early works for us. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Level six said:

It won't matter about the elevators.  People will always board the first one that gets there no matter how many people are on it.  We had a group of 10, yes 10 spring breakers get on.....which made 12 with us.  Then when we wanted to get off, they said rude things to us, even gave us the finger.  Even though we hadn't said a thing, just, "can you please let us out" since we were at the back of the elevator.

On our last cruise, I got off so many elevators and eventually just used the stairs. 

Was this on Princess or another line?

8 hours ago, Level six said:

So true Princessluver.  Why do people have to commit about others wearing a mask?? It is unreal to me, and also happened to us on our last cruise.  It is not hurting anyone at all if I wear a mask.......at all!!!.  It is the same as wearing a hat to protect yourself from the sun.  I don't get it.  But, as you said, the divide is too great now. 

I double mask and I have since the start.  My friend single masks.  We have had people comment about our masks several times on the Discovery Princess.  I use my elbow on elevator buttons (always have) and a man gave me a hard time in the elevator.  It was just the two of us in the elevator and he told the that I shouldn’t cruise because I was masked and used my elbow…. What a jerk!  

• Like 9

I posted this on my emerald princess thread last week after we got off, but at disembarkation, many people didn't follow the request of going into the DR to find a spot to wait and just crowded in the hallway and IC area to wait for disembarkation to start. 

Princess made it worse by not really have it setup well or enough employees working.  They should have had a one way into the DR and one way out, and it roped off to not allow people to start crowding the IC area ready to rush the doors off the ship.

Passengers not following the requests and princess not having a good layout led to a lot of loud arguments being heard literally ruining what was a good trip. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I posted this on my emerald princess thread last week after we got off, but at disembarkation, many people didn't follow the request of going into the DR to find a spot to wait and just crowded in the hallway and IC area to wait for disembarkation to start. 

Princess made it worse by not really have it setup well or enough employees working.  They should have had a one way into the DR and one way out, and it roped off to not allow people to start crowding the IC area ready to rush the doors off the ship.

Passengers not following the requests and princess not having a good layout led to a lot of loud arguments being heard literally ruining what was a good trip. 

I didn't notice any confusion on the Enchanted doing a walk off with luggage after people had been leaving with their assigned groups. If you had given them luggage you were assigned a group. If you had all your luggage they let you proceed off the ship immediately. 

I got off the ship early 2 times previously and there wasn't any noticeable crowding.  The process through immigration was much faster then in past years without any passport needed.

Getting back on the ship was also super fast using an in-transit card.

4 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I double mask and I have since the start.  My friend single masks.  We have had people comment about our masks several times on the Discovery Princess.  I use my elbow on elevator buttons (always have) and a man gave me a hard time in the elevator.  It was just the two of us in the elevator and he told the that I shouldn’t cruise because I was masked and used my elbow…. What a jerk!  

That was uncalled for. Hopefully it did not ruin your day or trip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

We've got many people on our cruise that really shouldn't be cruising right now. 

Some even stay masked while at the pool !

A few even wear plastic gloves at times.

What an odd thing to say.  These people are employing safety strategies that allow them to travel, not ones that disqualify them from traveling. I still wear a mask when I go to the grocery store.  Am I employing a strategy that makes me more comfortable to shop, or one that dictates that I not shop?  Your statement assumes that you know that these people are miserable and not enjoying themselves in the least.  That is a very strange conclusion to leap to. It also assumes that you know their full medical history, vulnerabilities (or lack thereof) and their co-morbidities (or lack thereof).  If they feel the need and/or comfort in masking up in order to get out of the house and enjoy the bright, beautiful world after being cooped up for two years, who are you to suggest that they should stay home?

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 7

34 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

These people are employing safety strategies that allow them to travel, not ones that disqualify them from traveling

34 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

It also assumes that you know their full medical history, vulnerabilities (or lack thereof) and their co-morbidities (or lack thereof).

So accurate and thanks for acknowledging that.  So often we make comments without really knowing other's situation.  I think a lot of the entitlement issues comes from that, we only focus on ourselves and our own enjoyment or convenience.  My wife has been immunocompromised for almost 30 years. She has had to deal with protecting her personal health and safety well before Covid, so travel for her can be difficult and takes a lot of planning and precautions. I'm grateful that she takes such good care of herself  and we've been blessed to travel quite a bit as well as enjoying cruising. We know the risks, take precautions that we need to take and she certainly doesn't ask for any special treatment.  But to expect that we should not participate in life because of other's opinions on whether we should travel or not is a little extreme, perhaps even entitled.  She chooses to live the life she has with her health issues, she doesn't hide from it. 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I didn't notice any confusion on the Enchanted doing a walk off with luggage after people had been leaving with their assigned groups.

I should have been more clear.  This was the early walk off groups, so the groups that disembark before those waiting on their luggage. 

11 minutes ago, JeffT237 said:

So accurate and thanks for acknowledging that.  So often we make comments without really knowing other's situation.  I think a lot of the entitlement issues comes from that, we only focus on ourselves and our own enjoyment or convenience.  My wife has been immunocompromised for almost 30 years. She has had to deal with protecting her personal health and safety well before Covid, so travel for her can be difficult and takes a lot of planning and precautions. I'm grateful that she takes such good care of herself  and we've been blessed to travel quite a bit as well as enjoying cruising. We know the risks, take precautions that we need to take and she certainly doesn't ask for any special treatment.  But to expect that we should not participate in life because of other's opinions on whether we should travel or not is a little extreme, perhaps even entitled.  She chooses to live the life she has with her health issues, she doesn't hide from it. 

Thank you so much for sharing your story with us.  Your wife is a warrior and I applaud her courage to live her life on her terms.  Do not let anyone tell you otherwise.  You go girl!

• Like 10