Entitled Passengers !

Reina del Mar

10 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

What if you got into the door and told the extra people that you were not going to let the elevator door close until they left.

DON

Why be confrontational?  If you're travelling with someone else and they're in the elevator or line with you, you can loudly ask if the other person has as bad of a sore throat as you do.  The 'entitled' will know what to do from there.  And it will be their decision to make too...

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Is there a difference?

Yes i for sure think there is. If there mother and father did not bring them up properly with manners then they would not know how to behave

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Why be confrontational?  If you're travelling with someone else and they're in the elevator or line with you, you can loudly ask if the other person has as bad of a sore throat as you do.  The 'entitled' will know what to do from there.  And it will be their decision to make too...

300 My Memories ideas | childhood memories, old tv shows, memories

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

What if you got into the door and told the extra people that you were not going to let the elevator door close until they left.

DON

Let us all know if it works for you.

• Like 2

Elevator conversation as too many people enter:

Wife: "What did the doctor say?"

Me: "He said that I will only be contagious for one more day, and only to people who are within 6 feet of me."

Wife: "So am I at risk?"

Me: "No.  The doctor said that the only people who are at risk of serious symptoms are people over the age of 60 or people who are overweight."

Statistically speaking, this should clear out the elevator.

• Like 4
  • Haha 10

This is a sad times in our lives. I was brought up to respect others. What is the world coming to when we stopped caring about others around us and when snobs think they are better than us. Everyone works hard to enjoy a luxury like a cruise and instead we are confronted with those who have no respect. When can we be able to enjoy a cruise again and not be bothered by disrespect and arrogance?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Peachestravels said:

This is a sad times in our lives. I was brought up to respect others. What is the world coming to when we stopped caring about others around us and when snobs think they are better than us. Everyone works hard to enjoy a luxury like a cruise and instead we are confronted with those who have no respect. When can we be able to enjoy a cruise again and not be bothered by disrespect and arrogance?

In our divided society, the solution would seem to be, (though this will never happen), to designate all of one grouping elevators (either forward, center or aft) as being for people who believe that Covid is over, that we all need to get over ourselves, and all need to live life as if Covid never happened.  And the other two sets of elevators would be for people who believe that Covid is not over, precautions still need to be taken, and personal distances should be respected.  The latter group needs more elevators because fewer people would be cramming into each one.  Pick which category fits you best and stick with that choice.  Respect the other group, and no lecturing, fighting or confronting.  

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Peachestravels said:

It's a "me me"  "my right" society that started with the younger generation that is creeping up to include the older generation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buddysmom10 said:

Well this guy barges to the front of the line and says, "well I have my own cup so I can get in the front of the line."  I was seriously expecting a riot or for someone to pull out a gun!  It was absolutely crazy! 

On the Sky last month and this man stands in front of me (I’m next in line) at the International Cafe.  I told him “I believe the line starts back there”, pointing in the right direction.  He looks at me arrogantly and says “I just want a water” and went ahead and ordered.  (I was getting a black coffee.)

Amazingly, this happened 3 times!!  Always a man.  Butting in front of a woman.  Now that’s what I call entitled.

58 minutes ago, rabin1 said:

Yes i for sure think there is. If there mother and father did not bring them up properly with manners then they would not know how to behave

Even if their parents did not instill manners, they would have been quickly checked at school and social situations.  They know the difference.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Even if their parents did not instill manners, they would have been quickly checked at school and social situations.  They know the difference.

Thank you for your suggestion, but as a former teacher, I did incorporate manners and respect.  BUT ... in all fairness, it isn't my job to do what should be taught at home.  There are not enough hours in a school day to take care of all of societal needs.  Parents need to take up some of this responsibility.

Getting off of my soap box.  Thank you.

• Like 12

40 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Thank you for your suggestion, but as a former teacher, I did incorporate manners and respect.  BUT ... in all fairness, it isn't my job to do what should be taught at home.  There are not enough hours in a school day to take care of all of societal needs.  Parents need to take up some of this responsibility.

Getting off of my soap box.  Thank you.

It wasn’t a suggestion for teachers.  I was referring to their peers.  They’re the ones who will quickly check others’ behaviour.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

In our divided society, the solution would seem to be, (though this will never happen), to designate all of one grouping elevators (either forward, center or aft) as being for people who believe that Covid is over, that we all need to get over ourselves, and all need to live life as if Covid never happened.  And the other two sets of elevators would be for people who believe that Covid is not over, 

great idea- but needs to be 50/50

You dont want to favor any group.   People will decide which elevator will meet their needs

2 hours ago, rabin1 said:

Some are just clueless f-witts totally oblivious to the environment they occupy.

Having said that I won't get into an overcrowded elevator but will get into an empty one where 10 people just got out.

16 minutes ago, IJustWantToGo36 said:

great idea- but needs to be 50/50

You dont want to favor any group.   People will decide which elevator will meet their needs

Can't be 50/50 because there are three banks of elevators.  And if one group is comfortable putting 10 people in an elevator and the other group is only comfortable with 4-6, then the second group needs more elevators assuming that the two groups are relatively equal in number.  If one group greatly outnumbers the other, then adjustments would have to be made.

• Like 3

I sympathise and appreciate some people are still very worried about covid, but I also think the reactions in this thread are reflective of how some people are choosing to continue living their lives in a more sheltered way. In some parts of the world it is now perfectly normal to once again go to work on crowded public transport where less than 5% of people wear a mask, to travel in a crowded elevator to get to your desk, to sit in a confined meeting room for long periods and to go to a busy bar after work. Maybe people who are doing that day in, day out through choice or necessity wouldn't be too worried if there were 7 rather than 6 in a lift or if they forgot a mask when thry haven't been required to wear one for ages. Can we try not to demonise them and realise that we're each at different stages of dealing with this?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, jimbo1683 said:

Maybe people who are doing that day in, day out through choice or necessity wouldn't be too worried if there were 7 rather than 6 in a lift or if they forgot a mask when thry haven't been required to wear one for ages. Can we try not to demonise them and realise that we're each at different stages of dealing with this?

Obviously the people living that way aren't too worried if there are 7 rather than 6 people in an elevator.  But what of the 6 who are already in the elevator who ARE worried about it?  Don't they count too?  If a person wants to get on an elevator and sees 6 people already in there when the door opens, wouldn't the kind thing to do be to ask: "Does anyone mind if I get on?"  If the answer is "Yes, I mind", then respect that.  If the answer is "No worries, come on in", then respect that too.  But the "I am comfortable, so everyone else has to deal with it" attitude is what causes problems when that person shoves their way in. 

And we can't forget that a lot of this is outside the bounds of personal comfort.  It doesn't matter how comfortable one is with the situation, or how confident one is about not getting sick.  In many instances, if you plan to fly home after the cruise, you have to test negative.  Showing up at the airport with the "I am comfortable" attitude doesn't get you on the plane.  And once you get home, you might have to test negative to be able to go back to work.  So what I am saying is that testing negative is still a big deal no matter how comfortable or confident you are.  Personally, I am not all that concerned about the health side of things.  I care more about having to quarantine in a foreign country because the airline won't let me on the plane when it is time to go home and not being able to go to work once I get back home.  And if spreading out in an elevator increases my chances of being able to board the plane and go to work, then that is the strategy I will employ.  Honestly, unless and until the airlines loosen their grip, travel is really hard.  I am going to the UK soon for a non-cruise visit, and the "we're over it" approach being taken there, while encouraging from a lifestyle perspective, has me really worried about having to spend many days in an expensive hotel waiting to test negative in order to fly home.  But we've cancelled this trip twice already and I am at the "use it or lose it" stage with my plane tickets.  Of course, the simple answer is that people with these concerns shouldn't travel at all, but that's not the solution.  Travel providers such as Princess are trying to employ strategies that allow everyone to travel.  But they only work if everyone buys in.    

• Like 11

15 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Personally, I am not all that concerned about the health side of things.  I care more about having to quarantine in a foreign country because the airline won't let me on the plane when it is time to go home and not being able to go to work once I get back home. 

Thank you ... Thank you very much ...

whether it is not getting on a plane in a foreign country or just being quarantined on a cruise ship, thank goodness now, the biggest fear in testing positive is inconvenience, sometimes tremendous major inconvenience.  But not like before, waiting on the ambulance to take you to a hospital that hopefully has an available ventilator to save your life.

dv/db 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Peachestravels said:

Things have definitely changed in the US.  The divide may be too great now for even the best of Princess passengers to navigate.  You definitely can feel this type of energy on the ships now.  

We are choosing to wear masks on the cruises (for a couple it was required by Princess) we have been on and even this one there seems to be a need for some to make sarcastic remarks out loud for us doing so.  

I have no idea how or why it is bothering them by what we are doing to hopefully keep ourselves from getting sick on a ship.  We also avoid the elevators and pretty much stay to ourselves for now.

I am with the live and let live crowd and be respectful to all.

• Like 7

So true Princessluver.  Why do people have to commit about others wearing a mask?? It is unreal to me, and also happened to us on our last cruise.  It is not hurting anyone at all if I wear a mask.......at all!!!.  It is the same as wearing a hat to protect yourself from the sun.  I don't get it.  But, as you said, the divide is too great now. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Obviously the people living that way aren't too worried if there are 7 rather than 6 people in an elevator.  But what of the 6 who are already in the elevator who ARE worried about it?  Don't they count too?  If a person wants to get on an elevator and sees 6 people already in there when the door opens, wouldn't the kind thing to do be to ask: "Does anyone mind if I get on?"  If the answer is "Yes, I mind", then respect that.  If the answer is "No worries, come on in", then respect that too.  But the "I am comfortable, so everyone else has to deal with it" attitude is what causes problems when that person shoves their way in. 

But since most groups on an elevator are diverse, you may get both a YES and a NO from the folks already there.  In truth, six on a Princess elevator is not really socially distant at all in terms of Covid-19.  If they wanted to have a true protective policy it would be only one travel group or family on an elevator at a time. 

I suspect airline rules are going to change i not distant future.  We shall see.

21 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

That is not a choice for some people. DW has mobility issues. She can't take the stairs.

We have actually gotten off of an elevator in order to allow someone with mobility issues to get on. It only seems the right thing to do. Weird, I know.

As for overcrowding the elevator by rude people, I wonder if one could get a loud fart sound effect on their phone and discretely set it off. Perhaps that would help to clear some folks out of the elevator.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5