Norwegian or Royal Caribbean?

Joeyboy1975

Hi guys

I'm planning on booking a cruise around the Mediterranean and have narrowed it down to the Wonder of the Seas by Royal Caribbean or the Norwegian Epic by NCL.

The RCI cruise is considerably more expensive but it's the biggest ship in the world so I'm really tempted. I can see the Epic is much older and just worried that it won't live up to expectations.

I've never been on a cruise before so really need some advice. What would you recommend...?

Many thanks,

Joey

I've sailed both lines, NCL more recently and they will continue to get my money at this point.

Food is about equal.

cabins are about equal (though the Epic has a unique cabin design that is somewhat controversial, I'll link a thread at the end, and there's a YouTube video showing it linked in there)

I've found the crew on NCL to be excellent.  EVERYONE has been friendly and engaging.  The Cruise Directors have been INVOLVED in the daily activities, something I can't say was the case on my two RCI trips (and those were smaller ships than the one you're looking at).

I thought the NCL ships were laid out better overall than the RCI ships I was on, but I've only been on two from each line.

The entertainment I've seen on NCL has been top-notch.  RCI had some good entertainment, but I think NCL might win there.

One thing that Oasis-class ship has going for it is deck space!  There was enough on my last NCL cruise, but we only had around 60% capacity.

Personally, I feel like the 4,000-4,500 capacity ships (NCL Breakaway+ class and RCI Quantum-class) are about the max I'd want to sail on.  I saw the Symphony in port when I boarded my last cruise and it was just MASSIVE, and I was on one of NCL's largest ships!

Epic cabin layout discussion (and there are more if you search) - 

First, where are you starting your trip?  Are you in the US, or Europe?  Are you choosing your trip for the itinerary, or to sail on the ships?  Or any ship.  Itineraries in the Med are port intensive.  That means much of you time will be spent off of the ships.  Not a lot of time to explore all the ships have to offer.  Not really a good way to get your money’s worth for either reason.  EM

Regarding only the ships, I would pick Wonder by a nautical mile (which is longer than a land mile).  RC's Oasis Class ships are amazing, and Wonder is the latest and greatest.  Epic, on the other hand, was a one-ship flop that even NCL knew not to repeat.  And yeah, the shower being out in the cabin (not in the bathroom) with its opaque glass that you can see through is just weird.  I prefer a little more privacy than that.

I'll also disagree with an earlier post.  In my opinion, RC Oasis Class ships have the best entertainment at sea.  It's not only their main stage shows; it's also the amazing shows in the Aqua Theater and in the ice rink.  

• Like 3

You don't state the difference in fares, but NCL is known for its nickel-and-diming with on-board costs.

So check out the policies on bringing on-board soft drinks & even bottled water, the daily gratuities, drinks prices and gratuities, and other on-board costs of those two options before comparing value.

Not saying NCL will end up more expensive than RCI, just saying that the difference will be smaller.

JB 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

while we found the entertainment to be excellent and exceptional on both RCI and NCL ships, NCL food in the buffet and in MDR was simply inedible. I am a glutton and will shovel pretty much any food in my mouth, especially if I don't have to cook it, but even I found NCL's food to be pretty bad. And this was in pre-covid times - they constantly ran out of food in the buffet and never refilled it.

You should remember, OP, that Med itineraries are usually very port heavy, and you don't get to enjoy the ship itself as much as you would if you had more sea days.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

21 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

while we found the entertainment to be excellent and exceptional on both RCI and NCL ships, NCL food in the buffet and in MDR was simply inedible. I am a glutton and will shovel pretty much any food in my mouth, especially if I don't have to cook it, but even I found NCL's food to be pretty bad. And this was in pre-covid times - they constantly ran out of food in the buffet and never refilled it.

You should remember, OP, that Med itineraries are usually very port heavy, and you don't get to enjoy the ship itself as much as you would if you had more sea days.

Seconded -- the included meals on NCL - and their service -- are grossly disappointing ---- probably why NCL puts so much emphasis on their (extra cost) alternative dining options.  There is a continuing nickel-diming marketing effort which gets tiresome, and their ships are carefully designed to maximize revenue-producing space -- which leads to very crowded common areas.  I think NCL does offer a somewhat better entertainment program, but in overall comparison  Royal Caribbean is far superior.

• Like 1

I love both! NCL for the Haven especially and Royal Caribbean for the food. RC has the best non-pay food choices other than the buffet area. The pizza is pretty darn good considering I'm a pizza snob from NY/NJ area. Plenty of sandwiches, ice cream, salads, etc. NCL doesn't compare to RC in that regard. They nickel and dime you that way. The entertainment is basically the same for both lines. All good fun and enjoyable. NCL Haven will make you never want to get a regular stateroom again. My choice would be Royal overall. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

NCL cruise ships are so different. My favorite is the Jewel Class. Fewer people, smaller, great private areas, and the Spinnaker Lounge. The newer ships don't have the Spinnaker Lounge which is a dedicated venue for game shows, comedy, etc. On the newer ships such as The Breakaway, all those shows are done in the atrium. You can't find a seat, it's loud because it's in a public area with people just walking through, and talking loudly. Hard to concentrate. I think Royal has that handled better.

First of all, bigger is not necessarily better.  Are you there to see the Mediterranean or the inside of a greatly oversized ship.  For some us including me, oversized is a bad feature and not a good one.  Secondly the Mediterranean is a large place and you have not mentioned the itinerary.  Pick the cruise that stops at the placed that you want to visit and forget about ship size.

DON

• Like 1

A couple things to consider. This is your first cruise. This a Med cruise.

If the itineraries are the same and if they are port intensive then I don't think the ship will matter as much. If you plan on doing a lot when in those ports you should be good and tired when you get back on board. If cruising on Epic saves you a ton then that money will help with all those ports.

Of course I am giving advice based on assumptions so...

Anyway, are you going solo? If not what does your cruise companion think?

On 5/10/2022 at 1:53 AM, emilysmom97 said:

I love both! NCL for the Haven especially and Royal Caribbean for the food. RC has the best non-pay food choices other than the buffet area. The pizza is pretty darn good considering I'm a pizza snob from NY/NJ area. Plenty of sandwiches, ice cream, salads, etc. NCL doesn't compare to RC in that regard. They nickel and dime you that way. The entertainment is basically the same for both lines. All good fun and enjoyable. NCL Haven will make you never want to get a regular stateroom again. My choice would be Royal overall. Hope this helps.

I am a pizzaholic .I have eaten pizza all over North America and nothing compares to the pizza on Royal.

Before our first cruise in 2013, we were also deciding between two different cruise lines, one with a large, new ship and one (NCL) on an older, smaller ship. Our travel agent gave us great advice: "On your first cruise you will be so in awe of the luxury and wonder of the ship, you won't know the difference whether you're on the biggest, newest, fanciest one or not. Save your money, go on the smaller ship, and save some wonder and awe for your next cruise." She was absolutely right. We had no idea what we were missing anyway, and we thoroughly enjoyed our cruise. We've been on bigger, newer and fancier ships since then, but we didn't necessarily love them more. There were good and bad about both of them

Also, although almost all of us base our cruises on itineraries, don't base your decision solely on that. Ports change, ports get closed, weather prevents the ship from reaching port - lots of things can happen that change your itinerary and stop you from getting to that one special place you planned your whole trip for. Just keep that in mind.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

They are both good but for same ports of call I would pick NCL in terms of overall experience, authenticity of customer service, food and amenities.  That being said I also really like Costa for value for money and ports of call.  It's not an American cruise line but we like it that way.  

On 5/10/2022 at 1:59 AM, emilysmom97 said:

NCL cruise ships are so different. My favorite is the Jewel Class. Fewer people, smaller, great private areas, and the Spinnaker Lounge. The newer ships don't have the Spinnaker Lounge which is a dedicated venue for game shows, comedy, etc. On the newer ships such as The Breakaway, all those shows are done in the atrium. You can't find a seat, it's loud because it's in a public area with people just walking through, and talking loudly. Hard to concentrate. I think Royal has that handled better.

I think instead of shows with no talent singers there should be shows featuring the passengers .

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2022 at 4:57 PM, MyTMo777 said:

Before our first cruise in 2013, we were also deciding between two different cruise lines, one with a large, new ship and one (NCL) on an older, smaller ship. Our travel agent gave us great advice: "On your first cruise you will be so in awe of the luxury and wonder of the ship, you won't know the difference whether you're on the biggest, newest, fanciest one or not. Save your money, go on the smaller ship, and save some wonder and awe for your next cruise." She was absolutely right. We had no idea what we were missing anyway, and we thoroughly enjoyed our cruise. We've been on bigger, newer and fancier ships since then, but we didn't necessarily love them more. There were good and bad about both of them

Also, although almost all of us base our cruises on itineraries, don't base your decision solely on that. Ports change, ports get closed, weather prevents the ship from reaching port - lots of things can happen that change your itinerary and stop you from getting to that one special place you planned your whole trip for. Just keep that in mind.

Great Advice.  Hope the OP reads this

Sailing on the "biggest ship in the world" would be a major negative for me.  I wouldn't be on that ship if the cruise was free.  However I should point out that I regard any ship larger than 1000 passengers as oversized.  However there must be some attraction to the ship as they apparently fill it up.

DON

12 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Have you tried Pizza on Princess ships?

Anyone who chooses a cruise line based on pizzas might be happier staying ashore and hanging out in New Haven, CT (for classic apizza), Brooklyn, NY )for good, fairly thin crust pies), or Chicago, IL (if you prefer pies better eaten with a spoon).

Regardless of the above ---NCL is less expensive up front, but requires a lot of spending if you want good food; Royal Caribbean is great if you are happy to get lost in a crowd.

22 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Anyone who chooses a cruise line based on pizzas might be happier staying ashore and hanging out in New Haven, CT (for classic apizza), Brooklyn, NY )for good, fairly thin crust pies), or Chicago, IL (if you prefer pies better eaten with a spoon).

Regardless of the above ---NCL is less expensive up front, but requires a lot of spending if you want good food; Royal Caribbean is great if you are happy to get lost in a crowd.

Great answer.  Cheers

I have been on RC and NCL (only one NCL cruise ship - Breakaway) and like RC much better.  That said, I have not been on an Oasis class ship and have no real interest in them, esp. on a trip to Europe.  They are just too big.  I could see it if I was going to the Caribbean, where one tends to spend more time on the ship and so there is time for all the fun options on the ship.  But, for me, in Europe, I am more interested in the ports (if not, why fly all the way to Europe) and I would want a less crowded ship - one, esp., that is easier to get on and off of.  

You have to decide for yourself.  An Oasis class ship is going to be very crowded.  Does that excite you or intimidate you?

Edited by shiphound