DRESS CODE

florence11

14 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Again constantly posted, rarely enforced.

Enforcement of any dress code might have been applied prior to the covid shutdown to some degree (on certain ships) but from our latest Caribbean trip it appears that it's being overlooked completely. 

Previously my husband wouldn't wear his blue jeans on formal evenings but would resort to dress pants with a guayabera shirt but even that has given way to a casual dress all the time.

Things have definitely  changed.

I believe they are just happy to see people sailing once more and don't wish to antagonize any passenger. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Princess's dress code, if you can call it that, is pretty much gone. 

On casual night shorts were abundant in the DR with just about any shirt you could imagine - from T shirts to Hawaiian with lots of crazy designs.

On formal night there were still wearing jackets but the numbers definitely have shrunk but it wasn't enforced in any fashion. Even jeans were seen with a button down short sleeve shirt were allowed.

I did see 1 guy in a tux later that night in the show lounge.

And yes there were some still adhering to the jacket & tie but there getting further & fewer between. 

The women wore just about anything from glitzy long dresses to black slacks with any top. I wore my jacket each night since the DR's were always cold.

I don’t think you will find that what you describe is the case in Europe / European passenger dominated cruises.

We are just back from Sky and proper formal wear / jackets and ties were very much in evidence. It depends where you are sailing and with whom to an extent.

It also depend on how confident you are as an individual. I like to wear formal and am happy to float around in a long dress regardless of how many people wear jeans or shorts around me - their choice, they are doing me no harm.

I am however just a little eccentric. For those who are more conventional then adhering to what Princess suggest might make them more comfortable in some respects.

and about that butter…..😀

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

I don’t think you will find that what you describe is the case in Europe / European passenger dominated cruises.

We are just back from Sky and proper formal wear / jackets and ties were very much in evidence. It depends where you are sailing and with whom to an extent.

It also depend on how confident you are as an individual. I like to wear formal and am happy to float around in a long dress regardless of how many people wear jeans or shorts around me - their choice, they are doing me no harm.

I am however just a little eccentric. For those who are more conventional then adhering to what Princess suggest might make them more comfortable in some respects.

and about that butter…..😀

That very well could be. We were on a Caribbean cruise & although  they're known to be more casual it was evident that it had become even more so. (especially wearing shorts on casual evenings) 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Exactly what is the value of forcing someone to wear something they don't want to wear. 

Well... There are a lot of Princess cruisers (me for instance) who should never be allowed to wear a thong swim suit. For that matter there are a lot of folks who would prefer to "skinny dip" (in my case I would have to "chunky dunk") and they are "forced" to wear some sort of swimwear to use the pools.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

On 4/17/2022 at 5:28 PM, mtnesterz said:

If you are from Wales, then a cruise out of Florida, USA, will be more casual than you might be accustomed. More casual on a Caribbean or Mexican cruise than other Princess itineraries. For example a round trip out of Southampton.

While I pack a tux, they do ask for Black Tie, dinner jacket or dark suit, you see fewer and fewer dressed as recommended. I wish more people understood the value of dressing for dinner, but that is the state of things presently, if that is what you are asking. Wear what you are willing to pack and would feel good about wearing to a really nice restaurant near you.

My husband has his white dinner jacket along with his regular black tux. We go all out!

N&N Daley.jpg

• Like 7

Here’s my clothes for formal night. I’ve questioned the Dinning Room management before about the dress for formal night & the response is that Princess Executives did not want to upset anyone. 

If the formal night in the MDR the room was in-forced it would probably be 80% empty which wouldn’t bother me at all. 

Tom😀

image.thumb.jpeg.bd08bf922ca0ae071150d2b992a97a71.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.208aba37d379c6e09f5907b6473f55b8.jpeg

Edited by trbarton
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Cowbell Kingdom said:

My husband has his white dinner jacket along with his regular black tux. We go all out!

N&N Daley.jpg

You win the prize for the “Best Dressed Young Couple”. Great photo. Probably great dancers 👯‍♀️ too. 

Tom😀

• Like 1

We are leaving on the Majestic on Saturday, I'm packing dresses.  I haven't worn anything but leggings, sweatshirts or t-shirts for almost 2 years working at home and I'm ready to dress up a bit.  Looking forward to it, though I am wearing flats, not heels.  Nothing makes a statement like falling on your rear in sequins 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, fabby50 said:

We are leaving on the Majestic on Saturday, I'm packing dresses.  I haven't worn anything but leggings, sweatshirts or t-shirts for almost 2 years working at home and I'm ready to dress up a bit.  Looking forward to it, though I am wearing flats, not heels.  Nothing makes a statement like falling on your rear in sequins 🙂

awww you'll fit right in. I say, is that a Brooks Brothers Milano jacket ? ...  A good portion of the passengers dawned semi and formal attire while enjoying the calm seas and warm temps of the Cali coastal cruise 🌞

Edited by c-boy

Hi. 

Thank you so much for all your replies you all look amazing🤩 I do like to make an effort when I go out even back home its just my other half likes a shirt and tie, but not really fussed on a jacket and we have to be carefull of our case limits.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2022 at 8:16 PM, florence11 said:

Hi,

We are on Emerald princess in March 2023 in the caribbean and am wondering what the evening dress code will be for 14 nights.

Thanks

We recently returned (April 2022)  from 14 night Caribbean cruise on Emerald Princess.

There were three formal nights.The majority of people wore formal dress on each of the three nights. 

On the other evenings, we saw all sorts. Contrary to stated guidelines, shorts were allowed in MDR for dinner.

We are also from Wales, so if you have any questions, ask away.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Glad to have found this thread, as I've been trying to figure out what my family and I should be packing for formal nights on our upcoming 2-week (two 1-week segments) Mediterranean cruise on Regal Princess. The photos that have been posted certainly help!

If I've understood the thread right (and please correct me if not):

- The written guidelines from Princess are not strictly enforced, but being in the Mediterranean we should probably expect to see a generally higher level of dinner dress overall

- Proper dresses -- cocktail dresses, ball gowns -- are not at all required for women, and "evening wear chic" with nice blouses and skirts is totally fine

- But, to be safe, it might be a good idea for the ladies to pack one dress just in case our cruise ends up being more strictly enforced for dress code

- For the lone guy in this family, a light-gray suit I own should be fine, packed with a few ties and dress shirts for variety

Edited by Aralim
  • Like 1

On 4/18/2022 at 12:57 PM, MissP22 said:

That very well could be. We were on a Caribbean cruise & although  they're known to be more casual it was evident that it had become even more so. (especially wearing shorts on casual evenings) 

I've seen it before... It's sad.

Don't be like me where you see somebody wearing shorts to the MDR, have to run to the restroom when your party is beat seated, and then come back to the table griping up a storm about the dress code turning to <something> and then seeing the dude 4 feet from me on my left.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

I've seen it before... It's sad.

Don't be like me where you see somebody wearing shorts to the MDR, have to run to the restroom when your party is beat seated, and then come back to the table griping up a storm about the dress code turning to <something> and then seeing the dude 4 feet from me on my left.

It doesn't bother me one way of the other how people dress for the dining room. 

All I know for sure is that Princess is now allowing people to dress casually on every evening, which I've been asking about for years now. It's similar to all the other mass market cruise lines but they still haven't changed their info on their web site to reflect it. 

People can choose for themselves just how dressy or casual they want to be on any night.

• Like 2

It doesn’t matter to us what others choose to wear on formal nights.

Just dress comfortably and respectfully.

We go all out on formal nights. The wife loves dressing up and I try to compliment her attire with a tux and bow tie!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

Having been on several post-Covid cruises, currently there is NO dress code on Princess ships.

It was headed in that direction for years now but since covid, Princess is now in line with everyone.

I'm sure some people are disappointed but the cruise line has to make money somehow and irrating people to dress to a certain standard isn't the time to do it. 

3 hours ago, voljeep said:

in the mdr?

Yep  Large family of 8. 2 21-25 year olds. I don’t do formal anymore but slacks and a button down shirt should not be too much to ask. And please take off the ball cap went entering a decent restaurant 

• Like 1

It has to be said that styles change and airline baggage charges are an issue. Princess taking a stand may irritate some, but not taking a stand irritates everyone.

The crew at the MDR door should refuse a man showing up in shorts, ball cap, t-shirt and sandals. Passengers are adults. Not unreasonable to ask them to dress like one.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, Aralim said:

Glad to have found this thread, as I've been trying to figure out what my family and I should be packing for formal nights on our upcoming 2-week (two 1-week segments) Mediterranean cruise on Regal Princess. The photos that have been posted certainly help!

If I've understood the thread right (and please correct me if not):

- The written guidelines from Princess are not strictly enforced, but being in the Mediterranean we should probably expect to see a generally higher level of dinner dress overall

- Proper dresses -- cocktail dresses, ball gowns -- are not at all required for women, and "evening wear chic" with nice blouses and skirts is totally fine

- But, to be safe, it might be a good idea for the ladies to pack one dress just in case our cruise ends up being more strictly enforced for dress code

- For the lone guy in this family, a light-gray suit I own should be fine, packed with a few ties and dress shirts for variety

Very nicely put together your post.  And your wardrobe reads well put together also.  You will be more than satisfactory for the restaurants.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Aralim said:

The ladies can also wear a nice pants suit or nice pants with a nice blouse.

• Like 1