Princess Medallion

11 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I was very annoyed on one Princess cruise we did. We were up on deck for sailaway and declined to have photos taken as we're not interested in buying them. The damn photographer took a sneaky shot of us in 3/4 profile then used it as the lead-in for their video which played in various places around the ship and on cabin TVs. I wasn't very hapoy about having our faces displayed all over the ship for the first couple of days.

It’s like going into Bunnings, you have been notified by a tiny little sign and if you enter ,you waive your rights.

Does the medallion give you a choice?

Edited by Chiliburn

I am not worried about the ship having footage of me. With the medallion, I wonder if you slide one of them up and down the table toward/away from another medallion, whether any fun police tune in to see what is going on. 😉

I have seen my wife on three different bits of social media from our last cruise, and she didn't volunteer to be in any of them. None of those are ship images/media, so you don't need big brother to have your privacy taken away.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

It’s like going into Bunnings, you have been notified by a tiny little sign and if you enter ,you waive your rights.

Does the medallion give you a choice?

Actually it's a bit of a grey area in the Princess Privacy policy. It states that photos may be taken and displayed for purchase, and destroyed if not purchased. But usually that means you have consented to have those photos taken. But it's written in such a manner that probably covers them for photos taken without consent as well.

The medallion allows you to upload avatars which display on your cabin door screen and, I think, on any screen around the ship if you are interacting with it at the time.

5 minutes ago, arxcards said:

I am not worried about the ship having footage of me. With the medallion, I wonder if you slide one of them up and down the table toward/away from another medallion, whether any fun police tune in to see what is going on. 😉

I have seen my wife on three different bits of social media from our last cruise, and she didn't volunteer to be in any of them. None of those are ship images/media, so you don't need big brother to have your privacy taken away.

Yes, it's a problem when other people post photos of groups without considering whether those people want their photos splattered over social media.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Don’t you feel uncomfortable with being tracked ?

Disney had that 20 years ago and when you got back to your hotel or home .

They start trying to sell the details of your holiday to you. Where you where with photos.
I have nothing to hide but my privacy but It won’t be long before the cruise lines pick up on it.

Well the tracking would pretty soon tell them if you fell overboard, which is a lot better than trying to figure it out.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, it's a problem when other people post photos of groups without considering whether those people want their photos splattered over social media.

These aren't just personal shares though, and include people connected to the travel industry and making money or generating free cruises from their social media content.

Well , I don’t see a problem at the moment but when or if you start getting images of you from nowhere.
Like at the captains party or being served that special meal, possibly sitting with friends and all laughing.

That’s when I would be concerned.
RC do it . The bumper cars,the iFly have cameras but I stick my tongue out and it’s deleted straight away.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

But Sir Geoffrey...thou art famous in the cruise world, in fact a cruise guru, you need to be on filum.😁

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

These aren't just personal shares though, and include people connected to the travel industry and making money or generating free cruises from their social media content.

Even more annoying. Actually there might be some sort of law about that - when photos are used for commercial purposes the consent of people in the photo must be obtained. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Russell21 said:

Well the tracking would pretty soon tell them if you fell overboard, which is a lot better than trying to figure it out.

Probably why the medallion was invented to track those in the Briny.

9 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I don't see that there is any reason to have a negative attitude to the Medallion. Several of us found difficulties in adding all the info required, but I understand that if someone didn't want to do this, they can supply the info at the terminal, the way we did in the past. It just takes longer to check in. I have read that passengers can request a cruise card, but there would be no need to do so. We didn't use our Medallions on board to order anything. We each carried them so when we approached our cabin door, it magically unlocked and our photo showed up on the small screen beside the door. Similarly, when I went to the reception desk or the Captain's Circle host, they knew who I was because of the medallion in my pocket.

Hahaha, they momentarily caught me out a couple of times, for a very short instant I was impressed that staff (excursions desk) knew our names 😄 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fortunatefew said:

I just bought one for my air tag from The Warehouse in NZ for $7.00 

Some people had the airtags and watch straps but the majority used the supplied lanyard - slim and not as bulky as previous Princess lanyards, so no need to buy something unless you're trendy or really want to 😊

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Some people had the airtags and watch straps but the majority used the supplied lanyard - slim and not as bulky as previous Princess lanyards, so no need to buy something unless you're trendy or really want to 😊

But are they as good as this, lol.

th.jpg.3ff307dc1f623e5d5dfbed3504733bd4.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I prefer the pouches that come with the X lanyard.

You may need the pouch and lanyard to stay warm tonight mic, with your minus 6c. Balmy minus 1 here, lol.

Edited by NSWP
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Balmy here, but then I am inside.

Good night for a few glasses of port🍷to watch a few 🥇 being sought at the big sporting carnival in Brum.

I may have a real late night and stay up until 9.30pm, lol.

Edited by NSWP
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, NSWP said:

But Sir Geoffrey...thou art famous in the cruise world, in fact a cruise guru, you need to be on filum.😁

Famous for dodging selfie sticks. I like Chilly's idea of sticking my tongue out to make sure I end up on the cutting room floor. 

I like my vids to show the ship and scenery, and not at the expense of others enjoying their holiday. Sadly, I have around 15 years worth of photos & video sitting on a corrupted portable drive. Any leads on a guru that can solve that sort of problem?

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Even more annoying. Actually there might be some sort of law about that - when photos are used for commercial purposes the consent of people in the photo must be obtained. 

There sort of is, but doesn't really cover for incidental capture. If you know you have been captured, you can ask them to remove you from the image, but that is about it. I don't think the cruise lines even have it in a policy, just good etiquette to respect other passengers.

20 minutes ago, arxcards said:

There sort of is, but doesn't really cover for incidental capture. If you know you have been captured, you can ask them to remove you from the image, but that is about it. I don't think the cruise lines even have it in a policy, just good etiquette to respect other passengers.

It probably wouldn't have bothered me except that we had politely declined to have photos taken only a few minutes before he took that shot - I could tell it wasn't very long by the amount left in my glass. That was very poor etiquette. We're not exactly a pin-up couple so I think he was just being a #%^#^&_^!

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

You may need the pouch and lanyard to stay warm tonight mic, with your minus 6c. Balmy minus 1 here, lol.

Oh come on Uncle Les, you know we Canberrans are tough and minus 6 - phat no problem at all. It is the thin blooded ones on the coast who feel it. Minus 1 would be short sleeves for us.😂❄️

Edited by Aussieflyer
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Sign of the times, I guess. Still doesn't make it acceptable though.

If Titanic was 2022 ...

932080718_shipphotos.jpg.18af8bc04ef063ddab0ed041d7739a85.jpg

• Haha 3

Not quite sure why any of us should go thru the frustration of adding health docs to the app since they still make us show them at embarkation. It might get you a green lane but anyone that showed up early was still welcomed in so even that theory fails. 😵💫