Princess Medallion

5 minutes ago, Jean C said:

bag?

BAG BAG BAG!!!! Darn autocorrect, or is it fat finger syndrome. Sorry Julie. I was admiring your handbag suitable placed showing off your lovely suite xxx

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Expo67 said:

The continued frustrations of the Medallions continue. Patiently we have waited for 6 days after receiving an email with a USPS tracking # saying they were shipped. As we are now about 8 days from leaving to board the Island Princess in Southampton and the tracking says they are still in the same location they were 5 days ago at a post office in Carson City, CA we would call Princess and get the scoop. So after 45 mins we finally got a Medallion CSR who kindly after looking into it said their ability to look into the shipment was impossible since their software was malfunctioning. 🤣 Of course we know we can get new Medallions at the port but once again why are they subjecting their clients to the frustrations of this state of the art circle of frustration when a card worked perfectly well for decades. 🤔 Oh yes we know why … so they can sell items to carry the thing around and generate revenue. Thank you for allowing me to vent so my beloved can read their book in peace and quiet. 🤭

Spot on, join with me in my brigade, at least you guys get your medallion posted, sometimes anyway. Here you get it at the port. So that is why they introduced the medallion, so they can sell that junk that goes with it. Sort of princess fashion accessories. Like the horizon court coffee ️ is gross, they want you to spend at the IC on those fancy lattes.

Bring back the card !

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, lyndarra said:

Seems like the same mob that tried to invent a pen that works in space - when a pencil will do.🙄

Have one of those.... got it back in 1976... when Mum and Dad went to the US on Holidays....

But to be honest    like the cruise card..... if it isn't broken don't fix it...

Don running out of coffee

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cbtours said:

BAG BAG BAG!!!! Darn autocorrect, or is it fat finger syndrome. Sorry Julie. I was admiring your handbag suitable placed showing off your lovely suite xxx

It's OK, I figured that was what you were saying.🤣

Yes, it did turn out to give a nice shot of the suite but that was just coincidence. The handbag wasn't cooperating in displaying the medallion how I wanted it so I just had to take whatever shot I could get.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Spot on, join with me in my brigade, at least you guys get your medallion posted, sometimes anyway. Here you get it at the port. So that is why they introduced the medallion, so they can sell that junk that goes with it. Sort of princess fashion accessories. Like the horizon court coffee ️ is gross, they want you to spend at the IC on those fancy lattes.

Bring back the card !

you dont have to buy any accessories 😁

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Have one of those.... got it back in 1976... when Mum and Dad went to the US on Holidays....

But to be honest    like the cruise card..... if it isn't broken don't fix it...

Don running out of coffee

Running out of coffee again Don..no worries old son..on the way by express post..

download.jpg.20ab145674baf5cf4048f11538ba6a1d.jpgth.jpg.5947ead749d9a4aff259d81c1b5029cd.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Bring back the card !

Considered me part of the brigade. Always loved watching in laughter throughout my many years all those brilliant management lifers trying to come up with another reason to recreate the wheel that was never been broken. So let’s see what is next? 🤔 Ah … I got it … perhaps to save on dinnerware they can have us pre purchase our set of plates, bowls, cups, glasses, and silverware for use the entire cruise. Then after use we can take it back to cabin a wash it ourselves for use at the next meal. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Like the horizon court coffee ️ is gross, they want you to spend at the IC on those fancy lattes.

That's an unfair comment, Les. The brewed coffee is gross because it's made to American taste (or lack of it). Brewed coffee takes very little manpower to make whereas every espresso-based coffee has to be made individually at time of ordering.

However Princess could improve the coffee offerings in the Horizon Court by installing those self serve coffee machines like they have in airport lounges. Carnival had them on Legend a few years ago. The espresso from those is usually reasonably good.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That's an unfair comment, Les. The brewed coffee is gross because it's made to American taste (or lack of it). Brewed coffee takes very little manpower to make whereas every espresso-based coffee has to be made individually at time of ordering.

However Princess could improve the coffee offerings in the Horizon Court by installing those self serve coffee machines like they have in airport lounges. Carnival had them on Legend a few years ago. The espresso from those is usually reasonably good.

Not unfair at all Julie, they just keep topping up those coffee dispensers in the Horizon Court, seen them do it, so it is like stewed coffee. Made to American taste? The Americans were the first to complain about the HC coffee and still do.  Yep, install the coffee machines like they have in airport lounges and some hotels, like push the button for espresso, latte, cappucino etc.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Not unfair at all Julie, they just keep topping up those coffee dispensers in the Horizon Court, seen them do it, so it is like stewed coffee. Made to American taste? The Americans were the first to complain about the HC coffee and still do.  Yep, install the coffee machines like they have in airport lounges and some hotels, like push the button for espresso, latte, cappucino etc.

But the Americans still drink it regardless, whereas many Australians want espresso-based drinks. Coffee machines would help but some Australians won't use them. They aren't the greatest for the milky coffees - lattes, cappuchinos etc, but are good for straight espresso.

On Coral the two non- buffet venues for espresso drinks were on the edge of being too crowded most of the times we went there. The IC was worse than the Good Spirits bar. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Expo67 said:

The continued frustrations of the Medallions continue. Patiently we have waited for 6 days after receiving an email with a USPS tracking # saying they were shipped. As we are now about 8 days from leaving to board the Island Princess in Southampton and the tracking says they are still in the same location they were 5 days ago at a post office in Carson City, CA we would call Princess and get the scoop. So after 45 mins we finally got a Medallion CSR who kindly after looking into it said their ability to look into the shipment was impossible since their software was malfunctioning. 🤣 Of course we know we can get new Medallions at the port but once again why are they subjecting their clients to the frustrations of this state of the art circle of frustration when a card worked perfectly well for decades. 🤔 Oh yes we know why … so they can sell items to carry the thing around and generate revenue. Thank you for allowing me to vent so my beloved can read their book in peace and quiet. 🤭

No problems for anyone here in Oz - they don't ship medallions here, they are only collected at check-in. Initially I thought it would be nice to take it to the ship, but I figure they cant be lost in the wind when we are all picking ours up at the pier. Is that UPS's problem?

Not sure if you have cruised down here, but you would observe a weird phenomenon where a large majority wear their cards hanging from souvenir lanyards that they purchased on the ship. It is such a thing, that the local cruise lines started to pre-punch a hole in the card, and a single hole punch has been on quite a few packing lists here. For me though, the medallion will travel in the same pocket my card used to, even though Princess is providing a free lanyard for it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Expo67 said:

Considered me part of the brigade. Always loved watching in laughter throughout my many years all those brilliant management lifers trying to come up with another reason to recreate the wheel that was never been broken. So let’s see what is next? 🤔 Ah … I got it … perhaps to save on dinnerware they can have us pre purchase our set of plates, bowls, cups, glasses, and silverware for use the entire cruise. Then after use we can take it back to cabin a wash it ourselves for use at the next meal. 

Perhaps you could buy them in the colours to match your loyalty status. If you have a black cup, you just need to wave it in the air and the coffee waiter will come running. 😉

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

But the Americans still drink it regardless, whereas many Australians want espresso-based drinks. Coffee machines would help but some Australians won't use them. They aren't the greatest for the milky coffees - lattes, cappuchinos etc, but are good for straight espresso.

On Coral the two non- buffet venues for espresso drinks were on the edge of being too crowded most of the times we went there. The IC was worse than the Good Spirits bar. 

Is there any benefit to ordering lattes on the app, and sitting back and waiting for it to come? I thought I had read a review comment saying that the medallion orders were jumping the queue.

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

Is there any benefit to ordering lattes on the app, and sitting back and waiting for it to come? I thought I had read a review comment saying that the medallion orders were jumping the queue.

I don't see why that would be the case.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

I don't see why that would be the case.

If you are standing in a line waiting to be served, they don't have your order. If you sit down and open the app to purchase a coffee, they have your order.

15 minutes ago, arxcards said:

If you are standing in a line waiting to be served, they don't have your order. If you sit down and open the app to purchase a coffee, they have your order.

That is not jumping the queue of drinks ordered, but I see that it is beating those standing in line haven't ordered yet.

Since we only drink short blacks we usually looked for a table/seating in the Good Spirits bar area or on one side of the atrium next to that. Usually we found somewhere to sit fairly quickly. Then we just waited for a waiter to take our order.

The IC was usually too crowded for us.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

That is not jumping the queue of drinks ordered, but I see that it is beating those standing in line haven't ordered yet.

Yes,  the jumping the queue comment was an observation from someone onboard, likely waiting in the line. I guess the moral is not to stand in a line that is going to be slowed-up by others not standing in the line. For those without a modern phone, I guess there isn't much choice though.

5 hours ago, arxcards said:

No problems for anyone here in Oz - they don't ship medallions here, they are only collected at check-in. Initially I thought it would be nice to take it to the ship, but I figure they cant be lost in the wind when we are all picking ours up at the pier. Is that UPS's problem?

Not sure if you have cruised down here, but you would observe a weird phenomenon where a large majority wear their cards hanging from souvenir lanyards that they purchased on the ship. It is such a thing, that the local cruise lines started to pre-punch a hole in the card, and a single hole punch has been on quite a few packing lists here. For me though, the medallion will travel in the same pocket my card used to, even though Princess is providing a free lanyard for it. 

Like you we pretty to remain incognito rather than have anything hanging around our nicks or clipped on to our clothing. 🤣 As for flashing it to get a waiters attention that has indeed happened but most of the time because their tracking system is useless and only shows you in the approximate vicinity so you are constantly on the lookout for some poor waiter running in circles. Much easier just to wait in line for 2 mins and get it yourself. Of course it would be great if it worked like the old cards with the chip to just scan it on a reader for payment but of course that feature only works with the Medallion about 20% of the time so the time. 😵💫

• Like 2