Uh oh.....hip replacement

Everyone is different, last October I had a total hip replacement and sailed on the Independence 6 weeks later. I feel very lucky my recovery went so well and was happy I had a great time on the cruise. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rudeney said:

Our cruise isn't until OCt. 2nd, but we have planned to go to the beach in August, the week after school starts.  That may be a challenge.  

Walking in the sand will be a challenge after the replacement. :classic_smile:

• Like 1

I had both my hips replaced (posterior method) in 2018. 10 weeks after my first replacement I was walking all over Rome, often on cobblestone, several miles per day. My second replacement was scheduled for right after my return.

I am also a nurse. I have these thoughts to share

• Pick the doctor who has a great reputation and allow that person to do the surgery the way that works best for him. Doctors do things the way they do them because they personally get the best outcomes that way. Both anterior and posterior have pros and cons.
  • The motion of the ship can create balance issues for a newly acquired hip. I would definitely bring a cane to help with stability. Just in case. And limit your alcohol consumption.
  • I would not recommend cruising solo, because you might need some help with dressing, etc.it's a different environment from your home.
  • Make a careful list of what to pack. Consider how easy each article of clothing is to get on and off.
  • Do your PT. Strong muscles help hold a new hip in place. But stay away from the ship's gym. Their personal trainers are not knowledgeable about post hip replacement routines.

Lastly, have a fun time! Know your limits and stay within them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In rehab after my hip replacement, they taught us to sit on the edge of the tub and put one leg at a time over. I got pretty good at it but use the stall shower at home. As someone noted, an OS will give you a stall shower as well as a tub. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, RoperDK said:

It looks like I'll have 8 weeks to recover before our Harmony cruise.  Am I crazy to think that I can actually enjoy the cruise?  We are in a GS and that tub is a bear to negotiate under normal circumstances.  Does Harmony have a public shower I can use if I can't get in and out of the tub?  I've had knee replacement before so I know healing can take a while, but everyone says that hip replacement has a much easier recovery.  My surgeon is of course vague because everyone takes different paths to recovery.  Does anyone have any words of wisdom for me?  This was booked under cruise with confidence so I can easily move the sailing out a few months.  Thanks.  

As a (left) hip repaced guy, just TAKE IT EASY and watch AHEAD for EVERY step. Remember, the cruise ship isn't familiar to you. I had mine replaced four years ago and still, to this day, I got into this habit of looking ahead where I am walking. 

Now though, the RIGHT hip started acting up.....but I've somehow managed to temporarily overcome it by taking joint pain meds/chondroitin.

My hips were subjected to 20 years of the steel decks and ladderwells on Navy ships.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Hips are a breeze compared to a knee 

Sorry to disagree, I would never call hip replacement a breeze compared to knees or anything else for that matter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Marie51 said:

Sorry to disagree, I would never call hip replacement a breeze compared to knees or anything else for that matter.

I have had 2 hips and 2 knees replaced , and compared to other things that can happen to you , it a hip was a walk in the park 😉😁

I have had a knee replacement, 2 ACL reconstructions, Rotator cuff repair, and most recently, the joint in my big toe replaced.  The best advice I can give you is DO YOUR EXERCISES.  Hips are the easiest joint replacement to recover from... if you do your PT.  My MIL had hip replacement, and  refuses to do her exercises, and she is not walking yet.  There were no complications with her surgery either.    she isn't walking much because she likes the attention she gets.   Her surgery was MARCH 10 of this year.  It is a nightmare.  

Edited by screwsmcernst
additional information
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/6/2022 at 1:36 PM, RoperDK said:

It looks like I'll have 8 weeks to recover before our Harmony cruise.  Am I crazy to think that I can actually enjoy the cruise?  We are in a GS and that tub is a bear to negotiate under normal circumstances.  Does Harmony have a public shower I can use if I can't get in and out of the tub?  I've had knee replacement before so I know healing can take a while, but everyone says that hip replacement has a much easier recovery.  My surgeon is of course vague because everyone takes different paths to recovery.  Does anyone have any words of wisdom for me?  This was booked under cruise with confidence so I can easily move the sailing out a few months.  Thanks.  

Hips have a shorter recovery time than knees.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, brunnerka@yahoo.com said:

My 17 yr old daughter had her hip replaced in Dec 2021, her surgeon specifically said no flying for 12 weeks. Several reasons why he said this but you may want to think about if you have to fly to the port and what your surgeon says about that. 

Had a knee done last February. I asked about travel and the PA said they don't recommend air travel for 12 weeks because of potential for blood clots. 8 week post-op follow-up I said to a different PA I'd rather be recovering in Florida.

Him: Go.

Me: What about 12 weeks.

Him: We tell everyone that. You'll be fine.

YMMV.

• Thanks 1

I had arthroscopic hip surgery done 2 weeks ago (still on crutches) for a hip labral tear. My PT told me that the recovery for hip replacement is shorter compared to my procedure. I was in shock to hear that. The 8 week timeline should be fine in my opinion for you to cruise.

• Thanks 1

Just had my right hip replaced on May 11th. Just started walking without a cane. I was told no bathtub for at least 12 weeks not worth the risk of displacement.

Enjoy your cruise and your showers!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I have had 2 hips and 2 knees replaced , and compared to other things that can happen to you , it a hip was a walk in the park 😉😁

Happy for you and your “walk in the park.”  Just don’t assume your experience is typical.  For many, that walk in the park will be with a walker or cane.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Ky Bill said:

My late wife had a problem getting in and out of the tub in our GS.  If you ask the ship will supply you with a stool which makes getting in and out of the tub much easier.  If you could upgrade to an Owner's Suite they have a bath tub and separate flat on the floor shower.  

Bill

I am sorry for your loss.  Asking for a stool is a good idea.  Thanks.  I did look at upgrading to an Owner's suite and it is soooo much more money.  We got a great deal on the GS and current pricing for the upgrade is too much for us.  

• Like 1

Keep on checking often for an accessible—up until the time you leave.  Because the people who book these cabins can have a variety of health issues they may be cancelled close to embarkation.  True story — when my husband had a medical issue with his legs when we embarked, I went to guest services to inquire about a room closer to mid ship.  Had to wait until 10 pm - after homeland security was sent the manifest - but got an accessible room that had been cancelled.  And there was a scooter in the cabin.  Point is — keep on calling or checking online — you may get lucky.  Katherine 

• Thanks 1

I really want to thank everyone for offering me advice and suggestions.  I did find a surgeon in the area that does the anterior procedure with robotic arm assist.  I had to have my doctor fax him my records for him to review before I can even get an appt. Lol.  I also made an appt with my knee ortho that I have known for many years and who has done multiple surgeries on me.  I know he can clear up my confusion and help me sort things out.  It now doesn't look like my surgery can take place for another few weeks.  My cruise is past final payment, but covered under cruise with confidence, so I have options.  I can also postpone my surgery until after the cruise and use my cane.  I just cruised on Mariner two weeks ago and survived.  It wasn't easy, but at least I was cruising!

• Like 3

On 6/6/2022 at 11:00 AM, RoperDK said:

That is encouraging!  What about not bending more than 90 degrees for 6 to 12 weeks?  I can't even imagine getting dressed without help or maneuvering in and out of a variety chairs or booths, much less a lounger.    

After each of my replacements I was.....Off the walker after 3 days and just using a cane. Not using the cane inside the house within a week but with a pretty good limp. Off the cane within 2 weeks and walking slowly small distances, trying to increase the distance a bit every day. I was back at walk (involved a lot of walking) after 3 weeks. You can do this, listen to your body, take it slow and be aware of what you're doing and try not to do any sudden movements, you'll be back to normal in no time.

• Thanks 1

On 6/6/2022 at 1:36 PM, RoperDK said:

You can always shower in the spa- However, why not move to a handicapped access suite or cabin?  Will be easier for you. And no worries.    Enjoy your cruise.

• Thanks 1