Bringing wine onboard

RCCL allows cruisers to bring 2 bottles of wine per stateroom.  If there are 2 rooms (a suite and an adjoining balcony) for the family, but the people booked in the second room are under 21, will they allow 4 bottles?  I’m asking if anyone has personal experience, or direct knowledge, not speculation.  It has nothing to do with not buying alcohol on board.  The adults will all have deluxe beverage packages as well.   This is simply about wanting to bring some special bottles, for a special occasion, for in-room consumption.  Thanks. 

I know you asked for personal experiences and not speculation, but even though I have not personally done this, I do not believe you will have a problem.  Just have two adults in the party each carry two bottles.  When they are recognized by the security screeners, they will either ask for your cabin number or send you to another person who will ask.  Just have the two adults each provide a different one of the two cabin numbers.  They aren't checking ID or ages of people in the cabin.  All they are doing is checking off the cabin number so that no more wine can be brought onboard for it. 

Guests are not allowed to bring beer or hard liquor onboard for consumption or any other use.

Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned. Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under the legal drinking age, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests who are under the permitted drinking age will not have alcohol returned to them. Please Note: All guests must comply with TSA guidelines for transporting liquids.

On boarding day, guests may bring onboard two (2) 750 ml bottles of personal wine or champagne per stateroom in their carry-on luggage. If more than two bottles of wine or champagne are brought onboard, including any alcoholic beverages purchased in ports-of-call or in our onboard shops, they will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on your last day onboard.

Guests on consecutive cruises may bring two (2) 750 ml bottles of personal wine or champagne per voyage, per stateroom. Additional bottles will be stored by the ship and two bottles at a time will be delivered to the stateroom on the first day of each new voyage. Guests bringing more than two bottles at the start of the first sailing should have documentation for any consecutive sailings available to share with security on boarding day.

• Haha 1

Ok, here is the real deal.   This happened to me again a few weeks ago on my Mariner June 5 sailing.  They scanned my carry on and then asked me if I had anything to declare. I said, and I quote, "No, not really" and kept on walking.  In my carry on I had 12-12 oz waters and three bottles of wine.  I could have just about anything in that carry on and I believe that they would not challenged me.

A few years back, on an NCL cruise, I had three bottles of wine on my carry on, and one bottle was confiscated at embarkation, it was brought to my cabin on the last day in the afternoon for us to enjoy that evening.  So, in summation, from my personal experience, you can smuggle as much as you want on board, using the shambooze bottles and other means, plus bring as least three bottles in your carry on.  

• Like 1

On one of my recent trips out of Fort Lauderdale there seems to be a new girl there. She inspects everything like a hawk. I will often bring an orchid on board. They look in the plastic bag and let me walk in with it. This new girl always makes it go thru the scanner. Sometimes a bloom will fall off because it has to lay on its side. 😡

Same girl stopped people ahead of me because they had an extra bottle of wine. I wasn’t bringing any on so I asked if I could take it thru. She questioned it and I told her since I didn’t have any that it was within the rules. The people gave it to me and said it was a good bottle of wine. Apparently they misunderstood my intention. After we got around the corner away from the rule stickler I gave it back. They were happy. I had no intention of keeping it. Definitely split the bottles up between the adults especially if you are going thru Fort Lauderdale. If you are caught in a bind you could always ask someone around you if they would carry it thru for you.

• Like 3

On NCL my bag was put in holding because of wine.  I got it out of jail with the corkage fee, which I had intended to pay anyway.  I am pretty sure they have found liquids in my carry on previously so I would be up front and pay the required corkage.  

9 hours ago, rudeney said:

When they are recognized by the security screeners,

That's the part I have never had to worry about.  No one has ever mentioned the wine I carry on board (or the 12 pack of coke, or the full bottle of whiskey I was carrying as a gift [I had it tagged and wrapped for confiscation until the cruise was over] for a friend I was meeting after the transatlantic cruise ended ).  

9 hours ago, woneill63 said:

Ok, here is the real deal.   This happened to me again a few weeks ago on my Mariner June 5 sailing.  They scanned my carry on and then asked me if I had anything to declare. I said, and I quote, "No, not really" and kept on walking.  In my carry on I had 12-12 oz waters and three bottles of wine.  I could have just about anything in that carry on and I believe that they would not challenged me.

A few years back, on an NCL cruise, I had three bottles of wine on my carry on, and one bottle was confiscated at embarkation, it was brought to my cabin on the last day in the afternoon for us to enjoy that evening.  So, in summation, from my personal experience, you can smuggle as much as you want on board, using the shambooze bottles and other means, plus bring as least three bottles in your carry on.  

NCL allows unlimited bottles of wine, you just need to pay the $15 corkage fee, I have no idea why it was confiscated.

14 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

Guests are not allowed to bring beer or hard liquor onboard for consumption or any other use.

Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned. Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under the legal drinking age, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests who are under the permitted drinking age will not have alcohol returned to them. Please Note: All guests must comply with TSA guidelines for transporting liquids.

On boarding day, guests may bring onboard two (2) 750 ml bottles of personal wine or champagne per stateroom in their carry-on luggage. If more than two bottles of wine or champagne are brought onboard, including any alcoholic beverages purchased in ports-of-call or in our onboard shops, they will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on your last day onboard.

Guests on consecutive cruises may bring two (2) 750 ml bottles of personal wine or champagne per voyage, per stateroom. Additional bottles will be stored by the ship and two bottles at a time will be delivered to the stateroom on the first day of each new voyage. Guests bringing more than two bottles at the start of the first sailing should have documentation for any consecutive sailings available to share with security on boarding day.

Worthless "cut and paste"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, davy jones said:

They're pretty strict.  Not an apples to apples comparison, but we were not allowed to bring on a single 1.5 liter bottle of wine for our 2 person stateroom with no other wine.  

because the rules say 750 ml

4 hours ago, wolfcathorse said:

because the rules say 750 ml

I'm guessing they don't want to allow for one single 1.5L in place of two 750 ml because they either don't want to trust the crew's math skills or would rather not have to ensure there's only one of the mags. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

First time on RCCL.  So we will bring our two bottles of wine and 12 bottles of Coca-cola on our 9 day cruise.  I presume on RCCL you can order a bottle or two of alcohol for the cabin as well.  Thinking Rum.  On HAL and Princess we usually buy a case of water too from the cruise lines.  Can all this be done on RCCL?    

21 minutes ago, Woodside Lady said:

First time on RCCL.  So we will bring our two bottles of wine and 12 bottles of Coca-cola on our 9 day cruise.  I presume on RCCL you can order a bottle or two of alcohol for the cabin as well.  Thinking Rum.  On HAL and Princess we usually buy a case of water too from the cruise lines.  Can all this be done on RCCL?    

If you go to the gifts section of the website there are small (half bottles) bottles of alcohol and mixers for purchase. 

RCCL sells a water package. 
m

Edited by cruisegirl1

3 hours ago, Woodside Lady said:

Yes, you can order alcohol for the room, but their selection is dismal. 

It depends on where you leave from and the security firm in charge of the scanning.  JMHO, Tampa was the strictest; MIA and PE the easiest.  Liter bottles of like Schmitt Sohne Riesling are fine through MIA G Terminal.  

On 6/24/2022 at 5:08 PM, vjmatty said:

I'm guessing they don't want to allow for one single 1.5L in place of two 750 ml because they either don't want to trust the crew's math skills or would rather not have to ensure there's only one of the mags. 

When we use to bring wine onboard I started bringing on the 1.5 ML bottles. No problem. Rumor on the Celebrity forum is you are now allowed to bring on four 750 ML bottles of wine (per stateroom) instead of two 750 ML bottles. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
27 minutes ago, Ethanol95 said:

Adding to this, anyone know if we can buy single bottles of hard liquor onboard without having to purchase the drinks package? And also know how much they cost?

See posts 16 and 17. 

2 hours ago, Ethanol95 said:

Adding to this, anyone know if we can buy single bottles of hard liquor onboard without having to purchase the drinks package? And also know how much they cost?

You can definitely buy it but you can’t take it with you. They bring it to your cabin usually the night before you disembark. I always get the flavored rum for baking rum cake for the holidays. They have a fairly decent selection of liquor but can sell out of things. 

17 minutes ago, gerif said:

You can definitely buy it but you can’t take it with you. They bring it to your cabin usually the night before you disembark. I always get the flavored rum for baking rum cake for the holidays. They have a fairly decent selection of liquor but can sell out of things. 

The liquor being discussed is something you can consume in your cabin- not the stuff from the shop on board. It is usually in the gifts section of the planner but it seems to be gone from there at the moment. 

• Like 1