Famous celebrities you have met on cruises?

George C

11 hours ago, ldubs said:

My other is a pic with a lifelike cut-out of  Shaq in a department store (he was the taller of the two of us).  

I have bumped into a few actual "alive" celebrities.  I suppose if they are famous then they are also celebrities!  😀

One of my daughters went to college in the UK .She met Mick Jagger.In my house are framed photos of Mick and my daughter.One summer a few years ago she was in California and met Lionel Richie.I have a picture of both of them.One of my granddaughters met Mark Cuban last week.I have a picture of both of them.Her sister,a tennis player who was at the US Open this past Sunday sent me a picture of her with Billie Jean King.Her father,my son in law works with the son of a Hall of Fame Hockey player and has met many members of the team the guy played for.

One of my daughters and her husband are close friends with Ian Lithgow (Actor and son of John ) and his wife.My grandkids refer to John as Grandpa John.

6 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

One of my daughters went to college in the UK .She met Mick Jagger.In my house are framed photos of Mick and my daughter.One summer a few years ago she was in California and met Lionel Richie.I have a picture of both of them.One of my granddaughters met Mark Cuban last week.I have a picture of both of them.Her sister,a tennis player who was at the US Open this past Sunday sent me a picture of her with Billie Jean King.Her father,my son in law works with the son of a Hall of Fame Hockey player and has met many members of the team the guy played for.

One of my daughters and her husband are close friends with Ian Lithgow (Actor and son of John ) and his wife.My grandkids refer to John as Grandpa John.

That is awesome.  My youngest son saw The Rolling Stones in concert in France not long ago.  He said Mick Jagger is still incredible on stage.  

20 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I used to hang out with Diana Muldaur.

Of course I recognized who that is when I saw her pic, but not by her name -- had to look it up.  

I was in a restaurant and one of the kids pointed out one of the actors from Peaky Blinders.  I had washed the series but had no idea who the guy was.   I watched House of Gucci not long ago.   I had no idea one of the key characters was Lady Gaga until Mrs Ldubs pointed it out.  She didn't look like the Lady Gaga in the remake of A Star Is Born.    I guess I'm pretty out of touch when it comes to celebrity identification.    

On 9/6/2022 at 4:15 PM, wowzz said:

I suspect 99.9% of posters on here will have no idea who you are talking about !  😁

Heck, I'm a "elderly " Brit, and I had to Google Tony Alcock ! I assumed he was a cricketer. To say he is famous or a celebrity is pushing the envelope !

All world champions are famous.  Famous enough to namedrop, anyway.  😉  I could mention a snooker world champion (Peter Ebdon) and a croquet world champion (Chris Clarke) as well, except I didn't meet them on a cruise.

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

That is awesome.  My youngest son saw The Rolling Stones in concert in France not long ago.  He said Mick Jagger is still incredible on stage.  

My daughter was in a bar in London.Rod Stewart was there.She went over to say hello.He responded by saying F off.Mick Jagger heard that and approached my daughter.He asked her name and gave her an autograph.She asked if she could take a picture with her and he said absolutely and had a friend of his take many pictures.She said he was so nice to her.

This same daughter was in London to attend the Taylor Hawkins Memorial concert.She said that Paul McCartney at age 80 was great.

• Like 2

I'm not a member of the cult of celebrity, and I'm not sure I'd recognize very many celebrities if I saw them being normal people. (I don't tend to stare at people's faces....)

About the only celebrity that I know I've met is Paul Newman at a restaurant in Connecticut years ago (wouldn't have known it if the people I was dining with didn't notice him). 

I suppose there is one other who is a celebrity to me, at any rate: historian and writer John Julius Norwich who was a lecturer on one of my Voyage of Antiquity cruises, lectured 3 times and received a standing ovation each time. Celebrity?  Maybe not, but I admire his achievements more than any actor, singer or sports player.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm not a member of the cult of celebrity, and I'm not sure I'd recognize very many celebrities if I saw them being normal people. (I don't tend to stare at people's faces....)

About the only celebrity that I know I've met is Paul Newman at a restaurant in Connecticut years ago (wouldn't have known it if the people I was dining with didn't notice him). 

I suppose there is one other who is a celebrity to me, at any rate: historian and writer John Julius Norwich who was a lecturer on one of my Voyage of Antiquity cruises, lectured 3 times and received a standing ovation each time. Celebrity?  Maybe not, but I admire his achievements more than any actor, singer or sports player.

Speaking of Paul Newman, a friend was celebrating her 25th wedding anniversary at a big-deal restaurant up in Napa.  After they were seated, she looked over at her husband, opened her mouth to say something sweet, but  no words came out and her mouth remained open.  Larry thought she was having a seizure.  Right over Larry's shoulder was Robert Redford, directly in her sightline.  Poor husband, there was very little intelligent conversation that evening. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Worth mentioning again...just last October, (not on a cruise, but on our way to cruise)...flew from Las Vegas to Houston Hobby...sitting in the seat directly in front of me was..."Mr. Charlie Hustle"...Pete Rose.

• Like 1

This is the story of a very chatty friend of mine:  Around 1990 she had a long layover in a small airport so took a seat in the nearly empty bar.  Shortly thereafter 'the most gorgeous man she'd ever seen' sat down a couple seats away.  They struck up an interesting and wide-ranging conversation that lasted an hour until they needed to catch their respective flights.  Fast forward a year or so and Thelma and Louise is released.  Sitting in the theater she realized that her drinking companion had been Brad Pitt!

10 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Pier 91 saw a current US Senator and a former President of Mexico on (different) Royal Caribbean sailings to Alaska this season.  Both were very low key embarkations. 

I think I might have been on that sailing with the former MX president.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Could you tell because of security measures, or entourage?  Or, did you just recognize him?

I didn't notice much in the way of security measures but there was a large group of very well-dressed Mexicans on my sailing.  I had a conversation with one of them in a lounge and he was kinda cryptic until we realized we had similar backgrounds.  He was a nice guy but not the type the average Joe would want to cross, if that makes sense.  

3 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

I didn't notice much in the way of security measures but there was a large group of very well-dressed Mexicans on my sailing.  I had a conversation with one of them in a lounge and he was kinda cryptic until we realized we had similar backgrounds.  He was a nice guy but not the type the average Joe would want to cross, if that makes sense.  

Yes, that makes sense. I understand what you are saying.

5 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

We were on the same cruise as Buzz Aldrin many years ago. We saw him but didn't meet him.

That's hardly meeting someone !

I saw the late Queen Elizabeth lI across the road in 1977. I hardly think that is worth a mention.

7 minutes ago, wowzz said:

That's hardly meeting someone !

I saw the late Queen Elizabeth lI across the road in 1977. I hardly think that is worth a mention.

Well, I did say that I didn't meet him. If it's not worth a mention, why is worth you commenting?

Edited by Sea Hag

9 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

Well, I did say that I didn't meet him. If it's not worth a mention, why is worth you commenting?

Well, the title of this thread distinctly says "celebrities you have met ". 

If you want to extend it to people you have seen,  fine !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

Well at least you saw him on a cruise, most response are not related to cruises.  I was on a cruise that had lots of pro hockey players I had no idea who they were or if they were hockey players but at a Caribbean poker table one guy was talking about being traded from Boston to Philly. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, George C said:

Well at least you saw him on a cruise, most response are not related to cruises.  I was on a cruise that had lots of pro hockey players I had no idea who they were or if they were hockey players but at a Caribbean poker table one guy was talking about being traded from Boston to Philly. 

I wouldn't know a pro hockey player if I met him on the street. 😂