Bus will miss ship departure in Costa Rica tonight!

oakridger

20 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

They could also have bused them right up to the lock side and boarded.  I know they could do that, because when the cams have been focused differently, I have watched them take off medical emergencies.  EM

And how long would the ship have to hold in the lock  before the bus and vehicles show up, a small  gangway is put in place, everyone gets off the bus, boards the ship, and the gangway is brought back on board ?  All this while other ships are waiting in line to go through.  😞 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

They could also have bused them right up to the lock side and boarded.  I know they could do that, because when the cams have been focused differently, I have watched them take off medical emergencies.  EM

As it happened, they did take a passenger onto an ambulance there at Colon, soon after our 41 rejoined the ship.   That was sad to see, after the excitement of greeting the returning 41.
I really feel certain that the best decisions were made for all passengers.

• Like 4

Granted, my transit on Oosterdam was in 2009.  At that time we spent the night before anchored at Fuerte Amador.  Sometime the next morning the ship let off a team of photographers that followed the ship as it made the transit.  They likely were picked up as the ship went through the locks at Gatun.  In fact, I was watching the Gatun cam closely, and the ship entered the middle lock, and stayed up for at least 20 minutes before it began to lower.  Possibly picking up the photo group, if they still do this.  I could no see any hatch opened.  EM

We were able to speak to 2 of the 40 passengers that were left behind today in our bible study ( The extra 1 was the ship's employee who was with the group ) . It was a very interesting account of what happened . They had to walk 2 miles in the mud and rain after they became stuck for help . The local guild stayed with them the entire time and the tour company bought them new clothes to wear while their wet and dirty clothes were cleaned in the hotel . They stayed at the Marriot near Jaco 68 km. ( 42 miles ) from Puntarenas . They were flown 1st Class to Colon where they rejoined the ship last night . 2 passengers from the ship we taken by ambulance for further treatment in Colon .  2 of the 40 + the ship's employee were unable to fly and will rejoin us in Aruba . All in all a happy ending . 🙂

Edited by scubacruiserx2
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

We were able to speak to 2 of the 40 passengers that were left behind today in our bible study ( The extra 1 was the ship's employee who was with the group ) . It was a very interesting account of what happened . They had to walk 2 miles in the mud and rain after they became stuck for help . The local guild stayed with them the entire time and the tour company bought them new clothes to wear while their wet and dirty clothes were cleaned in the hotel . They stayed at the Marriot near Jaco 68 km. ( 42 miles ) from Puntarenas . They were flown 1st Class to Colon where they rejoined the ship last night . 2 passengers from the ship we taken by ambulance for further treatment in Colon . All in all a happy ending . 🙂

Thank you so much for the update.  I had first heard this on a FB post of what happened but then he removed the post.  Found more on CC and am happy for the updates people have provided.   Told my husband you just never know what might happen.  I had worried those on that excursion with wet & dirty clothes so thanks for your post that they were taken care of.    Hope the 2 taken by ambulance will be ok.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

Thank you so much for the update.  I had first heard this on a FB post of what happened but then he removed the post.  Found more on CC and am happy for the updates people have provided.   Told my husband you just never know what might happen.  I had worried those on that excursion with wet & dirty clothes so thanks for your post that they were taken care of.    Hope the 2 taken by ambulance will be ok.  

You're welcome . The 2 left in Colon were not related to the 40 on the tour .

• Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

We were able to speak to 2 of the 40 passengers that were left behind today in our bible study ( The extra 1 was the ship's employee who was with the group ) . It was a very interesting account of what happened . They had to walk 2 miles in the mud and rain after they became stuck for help . The local guild stayed with them the entire time and the tour company bought them new clothes to wear while their wet and dirty clothes were cleaned in the hotel . They stayed at the Marriot near Jaco 68 km. ( 42 miles ) from Puntarenas . They were flown 1st Class to Colon where they rejoined the ship last night . 2 passengers from the ship we taken by ambulance for further treatment in Colon .  2 of the 40 + the ship's employee were unable to fly and will rejoin us in Aruba . All in all a happy ending . 🙂

Was *everyone* able to walk two miles in the mud and rain?

Some may have had difficulty with two miles when it's not in the mud and rain...

GC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

Was *everyone* able to walk two miles in the mud and rain?

Some may have had difficulty with two miles when it's not in the mud and rain...

GC

Earlier it was reported that they were on a zip-line excursion so most were probably somewhat fit.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

So happy to hear about everyone.  And, hopefully being a member of bible study was not important when being taken care of.  Sounds like a good ending to a very difficult day for everyone.  Cherie

2 hours ago, cccole said:

So happy to hear about everyone.  And, hopefully being a member of bible study was not important when being taken care of.  Sounds like a good ending to a very difficult day for everyone.  Cherie

We weren't on that tour so we can't answer that question . I don't think that was ever considered or asked though . We mentioned that because in today's study onboard when the 2 ladies came in the study , they told us of their experience . If we didn't have the study and they didn't attend we and you would not have heard the story first hand .

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sea42 said:

Earlier it was reported that they were on a zip-line excursion so most were probably somewhat fit.

Good point.

I guess it depends upon whether some could go along to "watch", and not have to do the actual "zipping".

I do that sometimes, joining DH but mostly watching and enjoying the outing and enjoying his fun.

Most recently, it was a swim with dolphins in the wild in NZ, where the dolphins came to visit, or not... HE got in a wetsuit with about 6 others and jumped into the icy water.  One other person was with me, sitting nice and comfy in the little boat.  You should have heard the squeals as they hit that cold water and it got into those wetsuits before it warmed up!  I had tried to arrange a difference vendor with a larger boat who would wet everyone down with warm water before they jumped.  I have no idea if that actually helps, but it sounded good...(?).  Anyway, it was still great fun even though I stayed in the boat.  And perhaps it was even "better fun"...? 😉 

So IF "spectators" were allowed, I'd probably have gone... and then gotten stuck in the mud barely part way into that hike! 😱

IF spectators were allowed, I hope there was some sort of plan B, although it seems that everyone was indeed able to make that trek.

I'm SO glad everyone got back safely!

GC

8 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Good point.

I guess it depends upon whether some could go along to "watch", and not have to do the actual "zipping".

I do that sometimes, joining DH but mostly watching and enjoying the outing and enjoying his fun.

Most recently, it was a swim with dolphins in the wild in NZ, where the dolphins came to visit, or not... HE got in a wetsuit with about 6 others and jumped into the icy water.  One other person was with me, sitting nice and comfy in the little boat.  You should have heard the squeals as they hit that cold water and it got into those wetsuits before it warmed up!  I had tried to arrange a difference vendor with a larger boat who would wet everyone down with warm water before they jumped.  I have no idea if that actually helps, but it sounded good...(?).  Anyway, it was still great fun even though I stayed in the boat.  And perhaps it was even "better fun"...? 😉 

So IF "spectators" were allowed, I'd probably have gone... and then gotten stuck in the mud barely part way into that hike! 😱

IF spectators were allowed, I hope there was some sort of plan B, although it seems that everyone was indeed able to make that trek.

I'm SO glad everyone got back safely!

GC

That's a very good point that I hadn't thought of!

One of the lessons I am seeing from this incident and other stories shared is something that I have practiced on previous cruises:  I will go on private excursions if it is something local like kayaking in Ketchikan.  But if something is farther away, like the bus ride out to the rain forest in Costa Rica, I do prefer to book through the ship.  (Our bus barely got back from that excursion in fall 2019, our last pre-Covid cruise.)

So this is exactly why I am so frustrated that there are no ship excursions available for our Nov 27 Nieuw Amsterdam cruise, due to a change in itinerary a month ago.  

12 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Those folks likely had a few miserable hours, but now have a lifetime of stories to tell.  Glad to hear that it all worked out.

Hank

And as time passes, their tall tales will become even taller. 😉

• Like 2