Don’t count on Princess EZAir to help during travel and make sure you have travel insurance

northwestbear

I’ve already posted here about EZAir canceling my first class upgrade through Delta. Well the day of travel things got much worse. Because of work obligations we had to travel on the day of departure for a short cruise we had booked. We made sure to book through EZAir since they promise to make things “seamless” if something goes wrong. We also took travel insurance (thank goodness). Our 7am flight on Delta  Seattle- LA was delayed to 8:20, 10:00 and then 3:00pm. Our ship sailed at 4:00. Multiple calls to the enroute travel desk at Princess- only one person I spoke with seemed even slightly interested in helping us. We were told by Princess that they could not get us on another flight and essentially left us to deal with Delta. We did standby on two flights, one which would have gotten us to LAX at about 3:00pm. Princess told us the gangway was going up at 3:30 and if we couldn’t be there before then we would not be allowed to board. We didn’t make it on the flight, but still. So we focused on meeting the ship in San Diego, its first port. Delta had already sent our luggage to LA on one of the earlier flights, so we were told we had to fly to LA. Okay- so how was Princess going to get us from LA to San Diego as they promise? Short answer, they were not. We had to find our own way. Oh, and Princess will not pay for any accommodations, so that was also down to us. Their whole script during this was we would have to make a claim with our travel insurance. Oh, and any questions we had that were not air related, we were automatically transferred to the reservations line - where you can sit on hold for an hour. After being up at 3am and not getting to LA until after 6pm we had to rent a car and drive to San Diego and get a hotel room. The only thing The Princess enroute travel people did for us was email the ship to let them know we would be meeting them in San Diego. As I write, we are still at the hotel, so we’ll see how that process goes. Ironically during this day from hell, we got an Email/ad from Princess EZAir touting how they make your travel “seamless” even if you encounter problems during your journey. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, northwestbear said:

I’ve already posted here about EZAir canceling my first class upgrade through Delta. Well the day of travel things got much worse. Because of work obligations we had to travel on the day of departure for a short cruise we had booked. We made sure to book through EZAir since they promise to make things “seamless” if something goes wrong. We also took travel insurance (thank goodness). Our 7am flight on Delta  Seattle- LA was delayed to 8:20, 10:00 and then 3:00pm. Our ship sailed at 4:00. Multiple calls to the enroute travel desk at Princess- only one person I spoke with seemed even slightly interested in helping us. We were told by Princess that they could not get us on another flight and essentially left us to deal with Delta. We did standby on two flights, one which would have gotten us to LAX at about 3:00pm. Princess told us the gangway was going up at 3:30 and if we couldn’t be there before then we would not be allowed to board. We didn’t make it on the flight, but still. So we focused on meeting the ship in San Diego, its first port. Delta had already sent our luggage to LA on one of the earlier flights, so we were told we had to fly to LA. Okay- so how was Princess going to get us from LA to San Diego as they promise? Short answer, they were not. We had to find our own way. Oh, and Princess will not pay for any accommodations, so that was also down to us. Their whole script during this was we would have to make a claim with our travel insurance. Oh, and any questions we had that were not air related, we were automatically transferred to the reservations line - where you can sit on hold for an hour. After being up at 3am and not getting to LA until after 6pm we had to rent a car and drive to San Diego and get a hotel room. The only thing The Princess enroute travel people did for us was email the ship to let them know we would be meeting them in San Diego. As I write, we are still at the hotel, so we’ll see how that process goes. Ironically during this day from hell, we got an Email/ad from Princess EZAir touting how they make your travel “seamless” even if you encounter problems during your journey. 

I guess they forgot about this part of their advertising.

Screenshot_20221218_073540.jpg

52 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

With these sort of promises, I always adopt the philosophy of "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me".

What they did to and for the OP is uncalled for and I hope he never signs up for SleazyAir again. 

• Like 5

I’ve used EZ Air for 3 flights. easy, cheap, seamless all 3 times.

I prefer making all my own arrangements but I gave them a try.

I never fly the day of the cruise.

Your experience sounds terrible.  I certainly hope you are compensated for these hassles. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, dog said:

certainly hope you are compensated for these hassles. 

Good insurance should pay out for all extra costs, plus a fixed sum for missing the ship. 

No compensation is due from Princess, as they are not responsible for the flight issues.

Edited by wowzz

I agree on never flying the day of the cruise.  For me the minimum is a day ahead and for January cruises it's two or three days ahead.  I don't mind the extra days in the departure city and rather enjoy the slower, more relaxed pace instead if sweating bullets on the day of the cruise.

But then, I am retired but can remember those days when I was on a tight vacation schedule trying to cram 10 pounds of mud into a 5 pound of sack.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ChutChut said:

Always fly in the night before. You will avoid this kind of fiasco. 

2 hours ago, northwestbear said:

Because of work obligations we had to travel on the day of departure for a short cruise we had booked. 

Edited by DallasGuy75219
  • Like 2

The only thing The Princess enroute travel people did for us was email the ship to let them know we would be meeting them in San Diego.

I'm curious - what's the cruise that you're supposed to be taking?  

You stated a "short cruise".  Out of LA, first port San Diego.  Only one I can find is LA roundtrip.  Boarding in SD and disembarking back in LA would be illegal under the PVSA.  

2 hours ago, iamaqt2 said:

I've seen these pretty bold statements on the Princess site too.  I wonder where the fine print is that lets them off the hook.  

Sorry OP for all the troubles.  Hope you have a relaxing cruise.

I'll never use EZAir again.  I didn't have terrible issues, but once I realized they were just an airfare consolidator similar to other online airfare travel agents I decided it wasn't worth the travel risk.  They are no help during IRROPS at all, and I've read will just tell you to deal with the airline directly.   I always book directly with any airlines, and hotels b/c the $$$ saved is not worth the hassle.  YMMV

• Like 1

3 hours ago, northwestbear said:

…. Because of work obligations we had to travel on the day of departure for a short cruise we had …

You mentioned you’re taking a “short cruise”. Not to worry you but be aware the coverage limit that will be reimbursed is the total of your cruise cost and airfare.

I mention this because if it’s an inexpensive short voyage you might quickly exceed the covered amount with your hotel room, lost cruise day, rental car and food cost. Just be aware they won’t reimburse cost that exceed the amount you paid to have insured. 

We learned this lesson while on a New Zealand cruise in 2019 when we had to disembark on day 2 of 11 due the death of a family member back in the USA and had to make our way back to the states. We too were on our own male all arrangements including buying one way flights from Wellington to New Orleans where the family member lived and then eventually made our way back to Tennessee after the funeral. We far exceeded the insurance limit.

good luck with the rest of your trip. 

Edited by gottagocit

4 minutes ago, gottagocit said:

You mentioned you’re taking a “short cruise”. Not to worry you but be aware the coverage limit that will be reimbursed is the total of your cruise cost and airfare.

I mention this because if it’s an inexpensive short voyage you might quickly exceed the covered amount with your hotel room, lost cruise day, rental car and food cost. Just be aware they won’t reimburse cost that exceed the amount you paid to have insured. 

We learned this lesson while on a New Zealand cruise in 2019 when we had to disembark on day 2 of 11 due the death of a family member back in the USA and had to make our way back to the states. We too were on our own male all arrangements including buying one way flights from Wellington to New Orleans where the family member lived and then eventually made our way back to Tennessee after the funeral. We far exceeded the insurance limit.

good luck with the rest of your trip. 

You can name the value of your vacation but I don't believe you can add on thousands "just in case", however, I'm reasonably sure that some policies will cover unexpected emergencies that "may" include immediate family deaths. 

2 minutes ago, Mademypoint said:

You can name the value of your vacation but I don't believe you can add on thousands "just in case", however, I'm reasonably sure that some policies will cover unexpected emergencies that "may" include immediate family deaths. 

I can’t speak for other policies. I’m referring to easy air flights and Princess protection coverage. The limit for trip interruption or delay under their policy is the cost of the cruise fare and airfare, I promise you.  

• Like 1

As soon as you said DELTA I had a flash back to our cancelled flight and the problems we had a few years ago. And yes, we were also involved with EZ air. 

We arrived at Sacramento Airport the required 2 hours early to check in and clear TSA to board the plane to LA.  As we approached our gate we watched the people at the next gate being moved to our gate and to board the plane waiting.  Then we were ordered to move over to the other gate.

At that time the board posted a 30 minute delay for us.  To make the departure story short they posted several more 30 min delay's until the flight was cancelled at 1:30 PM.  We had contacted Princess Hq several times to give updates on our delay's.

We scrambled and got onto another flight that arrived at LA at 5:00 PM and the ship had departed at 4:00 PM.  The wife and I had talked and agreed to chase the ship to the next port which was Porta Vallarta, in 3 days.

Two Princess reps were waiting for us when we picked up our baggage.  They told us to contact the on duty Princess Rep which happened to be in India.  Which added to the fun because they would time out in 15 minutes.  Which required us to call back, get another person, and then spend time explaining what happened.  And you can only guess how much fun it was trying to talk on a cell phone in a noisy Airport. 

Several phone calls later we were told that reservations were made for us for next morning on a flight South.

We then contacted the Delta desk in the Airport to request that they comp us a Hotel and meals.  After some back and forth they finally agreed to the Hotel, no meals.

We caught the bus out front for the Hotel.  Arrived at the Hotel to find out that they were booked and had no room for us.  Back to the Airport and stand in line at the Delta desk.  Second Hotel provided and we finally arrived at it at 8:00 PM.

That hotel was very helpful after we explained what we were going through.  Their restaurant was closed but they still made sandwiched for us.  And, made a computer available so we could search for a Hotel down in PV.  (yea, seamless support, right).

By 11:00 PM we had finally located a Hotel and made reservations which required a phone call because the Hotel would not take a computer reservation same day and at night.  

Considering how things were going for us, we checked on the flight reservation.  Reservation made, but not paid for.  Could not believe that.

So, at 6:00AM We call Princess Hq, only minor wait, told them the problem and they made the Payment for the flight.

At the Hotel in PV we met another couple who missed their Delta flight and basically went through same process to arrive at PV to wait for the ship. Some humor for this mess.  Last day at Hotel the bill was slid under door.  I picked it up and looked at it.  Surprise, Surprise, it was for $7,000.00 USD for 3 nights.  We ran down to the front desk.  Whoops they hit wrong key.  It was $7,000 Peso's not USD. 

We had to collect receipts along the way, out of our pocket for payments, to file for reimbursement from the insurance.

Wrote angry trip report and submitted it to Princess after the Cruise.  Several months later was contacted by Princess Ref the trip report.  

If Delta is the only flight some where we will not go. We have used EZ Air since then, but watch it like a fox watching a chicken. 

We did have fun in PV while waiting and the Cruise was great.

Bob

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

I'm curious - what's the cruise that you're supposed to be taking?  

You stated a "short cruise".  Out of LA, first port San Diego.  Only one I can find is LA roundtrip.  Boarding in SD and disembarking back in LA would be illegal under the PVSA.  

There have been several examples since restart of Princess allowing passengers that used EZair to board in other US cities during closed loop cruises, in spite of the apparent PVSA violation. On one cruise I was on two couples boarded in Honolulu after missing the SF departure due to flight issues. Know of a couple of cases on Alaska cruises out of Seattle as well.

17 minutes ago, gottagocit said:

I can’t speak for other policies. I’m referring to easy air flights and Princess protection coverage. The limit for trip interruption or delay under their policy is the cost of the cruise fare and airfare, I promise you.  

I don't take it through them because I want coverage from the time I leave my house until I get back. I want flights, trip interruption, hotels, etc covered. I also get CFAR which usually costs around $30. I insure the cost of my trip. For the one I have in February that is using a FCC and costs me $78 I got a separate policy for the travel costs only. 

• Like 1

I am going to say that if you had booked independently - you would be doing the same thing that happened when you booked through cruise line air. I wouldn't expect any difference IMO, regardless what Princess says.

I would not fly in the day of the cruise with out a backup plan. You do need to expect the unexpected. The times when I have flown in the day of - I knew exactly what I would do if I missed the ship. I also had independent insurance.

I am glad you have insurance that will cover missing the flight.

This is a busy/crazy time of the year. The issue here is with the airlines. I expect that in December.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ldtr said:

There have been several examples since restart of Princess allowing passengers that used EZair to board in other US cities during closed loop cruises, in spite of the apparent PVSA violation. On one cruise I was on two couples boarded in Honolulu after missing the SF departure due to flight issues. Know of a couple of cases on Alaska cruises out of Seattle as well.

Interesting.  I suppose EZair is eating the fine that comes with such a change.  I was under the impression if a cruise line consistently violated the PVSA they could be also penalized by banning them from those ports that the violations occurred in.

Hmmm...@chengkp75 can you weigh in on this?

58 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Interesting.  I suppose EZair is eating the fine that comes with such a change.  I was under the impression if a cruise line consistently violated the PVSA they could be also penalized by banning them from those ports that the violations occurred in.

Hmmm...@chengkp75 can you weigh in on this?

@chengkp75 Quoting to get his attention....

• Like 1