Don’t count on Princess EZAir to help during travel and make sure you have travel insurance

northwestbear

4 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

I'm curious - what's the cruise that you're supposed to be taking?  

You stated a "short cruise".  Out of LA, first port San Diego.  Only one I can find is LA roundtrip.  Boarding in SD and disembarking back in LA would be illegal under the PVSA.  

The next port is Ensenada

1 hour ago, edspec said:

OP just has to arrive in Ensenada or another port in Mexico then no fine.

Nope.  Since the OP's cruise is now an open jaw cruise from SD to LA, it has to visit a "distant" foreign port, which would be in South America.

Since the violation is caused by something outside the control of the cruise line may be able to get an exemption to the PVSA (though I doubt it), but since the airline was booked through the cruise line, they would not pass the fine to the passenger.  This is not an "intentional" booking violation, but something again not under their control, so there would be no further penalty to the cruise line.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Nope.  Since the OP's cruise is now an open jaw cruise from SD to LA, it has to visit a "distant" foreign port, which would be in South America.

Since the violation is caused by something outside the control of the cruise line may be able to get an exemption to the PVSA (though I doubt it), but since the airline was booked through the cruise line, they would not pass the fine to the passenger.  This is not an "intentional" booking violation, but something again not under their control, so there would be no further penalty to the cruise line.

Thanks, chief.

26 minutes ago, ChutChut said:

Understood. Work obligations or not - always arrive a day ahead to reduce this kind of cluster....

No you don't understand, apparently.  Sometimes it's just not possible. 

Maybe it was possible when you booked the cruise, but circumstances and work obligations change, and now your only options are to fly in on the departure date or miss the cruise altogether. 

• Like 3

I get everyone piling on the complaints on EZ Air but we’ve also seen where EZ Air has chartered a flight and the ship was held for arriving passengers.  I know it can go either way but booking through EZ Air can also be of benefit at times whereas they have no further responsibilities if you don’t book through them.  

• Like 5

When our arrival at San Pedro was delayed by 8 hours, all the EZ air passengers were given new flights. The rest of us who had to fly home same day and missed our flight were scrambling to rebook. We had a 2pm flight originally,  which gave room for a 4 hour delay 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ChutChut said:

Understood. Work obligations or not - always arrive a day ahead to reduce this kind of cluster....

1 hour ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Maybe it was possible when you booked the cruise, but circumstances and work obligations change, and now your only options are to fly in on the departure date or miss the cruise altogether. 

Let me put it this way - which may what some of the posters had in mind.  When booking a cruise vacation, include the day before in the vacation request or booking (whatever required to mgmt).  That way, you have the travel day to arrive ahead of time.  If you cannot pre-book the necessary time, I'd find another vacation option.

• Like 8

49 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Let me put it this way - which may what some of the posters had in mind.  When booking a cruise vacation, include the day before in the vacation request or booking (whatever required to mgmt).  That way, you have the travel day to arrive ahead of time.  If you cannot pre-book the necessary time, I'd find another vacation option.

I completely agree.

This scenario would have happened if they booked with EZ Air or privately with the same flights. 

If you are going to fly the day of - you need to accept the consequences that you may miss the flight and cruise. Accept it and not complain about it. I live somewhere where I don't have direct flights anywhere. I often feel like I have to fly 2 days early due to weather conditions, flight cancellations, etc..... If I missed the cruise, it is not the cruise lines fault. It could be weather related, it could be flight schedules, etc..... The cruise ship left when it was scheduled to leave.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

I'm curious - what's the cruise that you're supposed to be taking?  

You stated a "short cruise".  Out of LA, first port San Diego.  Only one I can find is LA roundtrip.  Boarding in SD and disembarking back in LA would be illegal under the PVSA.  

LA-San Diego-Sea Day-Ensenda-LA. It’s one of the 4 night “comedy cruises” on Discovery. 

• Like 1

Don’t allow the lecturing to get the best of you. We’ve all had work commitments or obligations affect our travel plans. Like you we’ve had to fly in on our departure day once or twice even though we all know it’s not preferred. As a one time business owner I understand that sometimes “management” is actually you and YOU have to make the difficult decisions. 

I hope you’re able to enjoy the rest of your time away from work. I understand how important that can be. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, gottagocit said:

Don’t allow the lecturing to get the best of you. We’ve all had work commitments or obligations affect our travel plans. Like you we’ve had to fly in on our departure day once or twice even though we all know it’s not preferred. As a one time business owner I understand that sometimes “management” is actually you and YOU have to make the difficult decisions. 

I hope you’re able to enjoy the rest of your time away from work. I understand how important that can be. 

We are not saying "don't do it" but "don't complain if things don't work out as expected and plan for potential issues". There is always the potential for missing the ship when flying in the day or even two days ahead of time. My area is facing blizzard conditions for a few days this week. One need to expect delays and cancellations. Even if one area is not expecting bad weather, where the plane is coming from maybe. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

While I agree it's always better to travel the day before, we all know it's not always possible.

With that said, I would have expected EZAir to step up.

The problem is - as many know here, the cruise line's corporate offices are operating at a much smaller staff (and less trained staff) than pre-COVID due to financial issues. These cruise lines are struggling to survive right now. They are heavily in debt and can't operate at full strength yet.

I don't think this was on the weekend but weekend staff is severely limited.

Edited by Coral

38 minutes ago, Coral said:

We are not saying "don't do it" but "don't complain if things don't work out as expected and plan for potential issues". There is always the potential for missing the ship when flying in the day or even two days ahead of time. My area is facing blizzard conditions for a few days this week. One need to expect delays and cancellations. Even if one area is not expecting bad weather, where the plane is coming from maybe. 

In the winter time, if I'm flying to Fort L or Miami for a cruise, I allow enough time that I can hop in the car and drive two days so as not to miss the ship if weather conditions are such that flights are delayed on my travel day.

It's taking personal responsibility for getting yourself to the ship on time and thinking about a contingency plan when you book a winter time cruise months ahead.

I remember what a boss told me once, and once was enough. "Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

I still work and understand work and vacation restrictions, although I personally am careful to plan around being able to arrive a day  early. But if I could not, I would be darn sure to have good travel insurance and I would have to mentally prepare myself for the possibility of missing my cuise altogether. I dont think I would choose to try and chase my ship down at a subsequent port  unless it was a really long cruise

Edited by Buckeye10640
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

In the winter time, if I'm flying to Fort L or Miami for a cruise, I allow enough time that I can hop in the car and drive two days so as not to miss the ship if weather conditions are such that flights are delayed on my travel day.

It's taking personal responsibility for getting yourself to the ship on time and thinking about a contingency plan when you book a winter time cruise months ahead.

I remember what a boss told me once, and once was enough. "Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part".

lol i once worked for manager who was known for his quote ""Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part"." when dealing with unreasonable last minute  partner requests (we worked in IT support)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Buckeye10640 said:

lol i once worked for manager who was known for his quote ""Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part"." when dealing with unreasonable last minute  partner requests (we worked in IT support)

I learned from that same boss to develop a long range action plan and that has carried over to managing our bucket list travel.  We have five trips in the works right now, with an action plan for each with planning milestones for hotels, flights, final payments etc   It helps to be a little OC as well.  

• Like 1

we don't even drive down to the port (about 4 hours or so) the day of (PE).  get down about noon the day before, eat lunch, check in, relax on balcony, go down to bar.  next morning, nice shower, 10 minutes to port.  works for us

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Coral said:

The problem is - as many know here, the cruise line's corporate offices are operating at a much smaller staff (and less trained staff) than pre-COVID due to financial issues. These cruise lines are struggling to survive right now. They are heavily in debt and can't operate at full strength yet.

I don't think this was on the weekend but weekend staff is severely limited.

But even if at full strength, what else could have been done ? EZAir is basically a travel agency. They cannot magic seats or flights out of thin air. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But even if at full strength, what else could have been done ? EZAir is basically a travel agency. They cannot magic seats or flights out of thin air. 

The only thing is answer the phone in a timely matter and provide a little more realistic situations/outcomes.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

I understand very well. Either one takes that risk or not. I have a very busy work life but I've always arranged my vacation to allow for an additional day. If something arises at work, I have another colleague ready to go or I tell them I will deal with it once I land at my destination. It's a choice one makes.