Missed departure

klumpp6

I have booked 4 cabins on an upcoming NCL cruise out of Athens. One member of our group is a teacher and may not be able to make the cruise on the departure day. Would he be allowed to join mid-cruise in Istanbul or Santorini?

8 minutes ago, klumpp6 said:

I have booked 4 cabins on an upcoming NCL cruise out of Athens. One member of our group is a teacher and may not be able to make the cruise on the departure day. Would he be allowed to join mid-cruise in Istanbul or Santorini?

Welcome to cruise critic.

You need to contact the cruise line directly, as European Cabotage laws may apply depending on the proposed embarkation/disembarkation ports.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Welcome to cruise critic.

You need to contact the cruise line directly, as European Cabotage laws may apply depending on the proposed embarkation/disembarkation ports.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This.  Cruise Critic has a lot of great info, but for questions like this there is typically a lot of speculation.   Go directly to the cruise line and get the real scoop.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, klumpp6 said:

I did call my travel agent and NCL and got a "depends" type of answer. Just wondering if anyone has had this situation happen before.

Heidi who knows whereof he speaks said to call the cruise company and not your TA.  When you call them make sure to have them send you an e-mail confirming what they say.

DON

2 hours ago, klumpp6 said:

I did call my travel agent and NCL and got a "depends" type of answer. Just wondering if anyone has had this situation happen before.

To fly into Turkey a visa would be needed. It visa is not needed in transit on cruise. Santorini might be a logistical problem. It is a small greek island. 

10 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

To fly into Turkey a visa would be needed. It visa is not needed in transit on cruise. Santorini might be a logistical problem. It is a small greek island. 

But it does have an airport.

31 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

I imagine that logistically Santorini being a tender port would be a real challenge. 

You probably can’t fly directly to Santorini. Likely have to connect from a major city airport. I guess Athens. I think you would then have to get a taxi from the Santorini airport to the port. Then a small boat tender to the ship. Really they need to talk to NCL. 

Edited by Charles4515

19 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

To be fair, the visa rules really depend on the passport of the traveler and they may or may not need a visa. I have a long-term Turkish business visa in my Namibian passport, and it has been a while since I have done a single entry tourist visa through my US passport, but I believe IF they have a US passport, it's a pretty simple online process with a cost but not an exorbitant one. 

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I've just retired after three decades of teaching, and teachers don't miss school -- unless it's for illness or another very good reason.  It's just not done.  

Yes, DW retired this year as an elementary art teacher with literally hundreds of days of sick leave unused. 

Edited by ontheweb
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

That is dedication!  Congrats on the retirement.  Hope she was able to cash out the unused sick leave.

Yes, she cashed out, but there was a maximum each year she could carry over.

The only time she really used sick days was after an emergency surgery. There were a few personal days she took,  plus she was allowed compassionate leaves for deaths in the family. Unfortunately, there was one year that within a few months both of our mothers passed away.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Close to it.  While teachers have many vacation periods (which others envy), the trade-off is that they are expected to show up on school days ——period.

And if they don't show up , they generally have a substitute . Just how many jobs have that luxury. the world will not end.

• Like 1