The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday January 17th, 2023

rafinmd

Good Morning from a cool but sunny day at the beach. 
    Never make New Year’s resolutions so nothing to break. 
     We were in Tonga for 2 days on our last cruise. Beautiful country with warm welcoming people. The governor and the military band came out to meet the ship. It was very festive!

My attempt at pictures. The royal palace, the entrance to the town and and a show put on by the locals. DA260291-FD55-4342-A0BF-39219A52C308.thumb.jpeg.e9cbf63002e3d396468435424a94ea7f.jpeg

919B167F-BC7E-4F06-94B2-45C21A18A9FD.jpeg

95B16ADD-C3BA-440C-96C5-C78B2EEC5028.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning from a cool but sunny day at the beach. 
    Never make New Year’s resolutions so nothing to break. 
     We were in Tonga for 2 days on our last cruise. Beautiful country with warm welcoming people. The governor and the military band came out to meet the ship. It was very festive!

My attempt at pictures. The royal palace, the entrance to the town and and a show put on by the locals. DA260291-FD55-4342-A0BF-39219A52C308.thumb.jpeg.e9cbf63002e3d396468435424a94ea7f.jpeg

919B167F-BC7E-4F06-94B2-45C21A18A9FD.jpeg

95B16ADD-C3BA-440C-96C5-C78B2EEC5028.jpeg

Lovely photos.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

@aliaschief

Kendall is just a bit Southwest of Miami. Good thing you have that sweater.  

9DA59BB2-EF5D-438C-BE3E-886456D696B2.jpeg

I know the feeling.  I sailed an Exhibition ship to Antarctica in 1997 and at the time my mother was living near Orlando.  On my return we had a layover in Santiago before flying to Miami and Orlando..  It was hot in Santiago and I packed up all my cold weather gear.  When we arrived in Miami I had to take an outdoor walk from the International Terminal to the Domestic one.  The Thermometer in Miami showed 37.  Brrr!

Roy

• Like 19

Good morning, everyone!

I never made New  Year's resolutions, so nothing to ditch.  My grandmother used to go on bootlegging trips to Pennsylvania with my grandfather.  

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, I think you and your DH are going to be too busy with Sue and me to make plans with the relatives.  Use us as an excuse if you need to.

The endocrinologist has ordered more tests so I need to stop by the lab this morning.  I also need to check with them on some tests he had ordered that are not FDA approved.  I did not know that until I read the test results.  I'm wondering how much this is going to cost me.  I'm not happy about it if these tests end up being not covered.  

I'm not a big fan of lamb, so I would probably pass on this meal.  The one way I like lamb is when it is used in spedies and the meat is marinated for days.  Cooking the lamb in the slow cooker all day will definitely tenderize it and make the flavors blend well.   https://www.aheadofthyme.com/slow-cooker-leg-of-lamb-with-vegetables/

1615673323_lambwithveg1.thumb.jpg.8a930f72f0ceba6993f20701a0b28789.jpg

Here's an Australian take on leg of lamb.  https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/slow-cooker-roast-lamb-winter-vegetables/1b1f96f1-aff3-4385-a2b5-59c0742c232b

820223047_lambwithveg2.jpeg.6fa039b4a63213a749a276e78048a40e.jpeg

This next one adds in some wine to the broth.  The wine will help tenderize and flavor the meat.  Also notice the vegetables are all carrots.  Another reason I am passing on this dish. https://sweetandsavorymeals.com/slow-cooker-leg-of-lamb/

529123353_lambwithveg3.thumb.jpg.dd8425e7fd2517838abe8426e5d54e7f.jpg

I might be convinced to try this one. No carrots!  Also, with the right seasoning, it could be good.  There is a white wine used in the cooking broth to help flavor and tenderize.  Make sure the bone has been removed.  Your butcher should be able to do that for you.  https://dinnerthendessert.com/slow-cooker-leg-of-lamb/

1085041066_lambwithveg4.thumb.jpg.3796d712552e3b12061e8221b629535e.jpg

Wishing everyone a wonderful day.  Healing thoughts going out to Tana, Sarah, Jacqui, and Kathi.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 8

17 minutes ago, kazu said:

Good morning everyone.

Thanks Roy for our Tuesday Daily.

Doctors appointment today if we can get out of my driveway.  We’ll find a way – we have to.

Hoping she can help with the pain and / or the splint which I think is causing the problem. (At least, I hope so. ). In the meantime I’m going to keep a lower profile – I’ve already made one faux pas due to the pain and don’t need to make any more.

If it were me, I would make it clear to these people that you and your DH do your own thing, like to spend time alone eating together and make it clear that you will each be doing your own thing - If you choose to tell them that you were on this cruise.   As Carol mentioned the other alternative is to disclose your unhappiness about the past.  That can get pretty messy though.  Good luck with this very tough situation.

Prayers for everyone on the care list and cheers to those celebrating.

The weather has been really crappy for you, wishing you all the best to get to your doctor’s appointment. Constant pain is, well, painful and makes your life miserable. Please come back and let us know what the doctor says even if you plan on basically laying low. We care about you and I know several of us would love to be closer in order to be able to help you.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

I never made New  Year's resolutions, so nothing to ditch.  My grandmother used to go on bootlegging trips to Pennsylvania with my grandfather.  

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, I think you and your DH are going to be too busy with Sue and me to make plans with the relatives.  Use us as an excuse if you need to.

The endocrinologist has ordered more tests so I need to stop by the lab this morning.  I also need to check with them on some tests he had ordered that are not FDA approved.  I did not know that until I read the test results.  I'm wondering how much this is going to cost me.  I'm not happy about it if these tests end up being not covered.  

I'm not a big fan of lamb, so I would probably pass on this meal.  The one way I like lamb is when it is used in spedies and the meat is marinated for days.  Cooking the lamb in the slow cooker all day will definitely tenderize it and make the flavors blend well.   https://www.aheadofthyme.com/slow-cooker-leg-of-lamb-with-vegetables/

1615673323_lambwithveg1.thumb.jpg.8a930f72f0ceba6993f20701a0b28789.jpg

Here's an Australian take on leg of lamb.  https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/slow-cooker-roast-lamb-winter-vegetables/1b1f96f1-aff3-4385-a2b5-59c0742c232b

820223047_lambwithveg2.jpeg.6fa039b4a63213a749a276e78048a40e.jpeg

This next one adds in some wine to the broth.  The wine will help tenderize and flavor the meat.  Also notice the vegetables are all carrots.  Another reason I am passing on this dish. https://sweetandsavorymeals.com/slow-cooker-leg-of-lamb/

529123353_lambwithveg3.thumb.jpg.dd8425e7fd2517838abe8426e5d54e7f.jpg

I might be convinced to try this one. No carrots!  Also, with the right seasoning, it could be good.  There is a white wine used in the cooking broth to help flavor and tenderize.  Make sure the bone has been removed.  Your butcher should be able to do that for you.  https://dinnerthendessert.com/slow-cooker-leg-of-lamb/

1085041066_lambwithveg4.thumb.jpg.3796d712552e3b12061e8221b629535e.jpg

Wishing everyone a wonderful day.  Healing thoughts going out to Tana, Sarah, Jacqui, and Kathi.

What we miss most about not spending part of the winter in Clearwater Florida is the lovely spit roasted lamb shank that we picked up at least once from an Eastern European deli there. They roasted it in house and the seasonings were exceptional. Spice wise I have been able to replicate but I can’t spit roast so have oven roasted. I will try one or more of these recipes and am currently leaning towards trying the slow cooker one first. And will search for an air fryer lamb recipe as backup!

• Like 21

Good morning!  Continues to be cold here in PA.  I am not ditching my New Year’s resolution since my low carb attack is working!! Waiting to be able to “shop my closet” for new clothes in a few weeks.  

Thank you Rich, Roy and all posters for the time and effort you put into this thread.  It is one of the best threads on CC.  It is much appreciated.

DH is off with his caretaker to grocery shop - his favorite activity.  So a few hours of alone time and then off for a haircut.  Have a great day.  Katherine 

• Like 19

I like lamb but, as usual, don't have the ingredients to make today's dish. I would prefer a version without carrots: although I very much like carrots cooked with beef, the combination with lamb doesn't please me as much. I didn't make any New Year resolutions.

In the Faroe Islands the traditional methods of food preservation were drying (especially of fish) and fermentation. There is restaurant, Raest, that has revived the traditional techniques and I ate there. Here's the menu:

873649532_Raestmenu.thumb.jpg.d1be30f32908ae50aacc045862e926fe.jpg

The lamb is actually more fermented than dried, and it would be fine with me not to have it again unless I were in the Faroe Islands and starving (population crashes due to starvation occurred many times in the history of the islands). Rhubarb is the only fruit-like plant that grows well in the Faroes and it is even more ubiquitous there than in Iceland.

Raest's "Menu and beverages" includes a different alcoholic drink with every course: sparkling wine, white, red, sherry, beer (not necessarily in that order--they are matched to the courses, but I didn't understand the logic), and "all inclusive" adds cognac. I had the "all inclusive." They serve full portions of all the drinks, not tasting portions, and afterward I had to sit on a bench in the harbor for half an hour before I could walk the short distance back to my hotel.

The weather report says freezing rain here, too. In a little while I need to take out trash and then go to acupuncture. I have a carbide-tipped hiking stick in the car and may use it.

138483590_TrippedbyGretzky.jpg.cfe33fc69d31691d49649222cf7d070c.jpg

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 11
  • Haha 12

Good Tuesday Morning Dailyites!  My computer is spot on with the weather, it says, it's raining now.  And it's right.  I have no idea what the temperature is, but it's above freezing because I ended up going out the back to the front door and gave Bubbles some food.  He has taken to sleeping on a blanket that is on the front porch, and has stopped coming around to the back of the house.  And Uggles has returned.  Mr., Mean Macho cat that he is, will beat up his own daddy.  So sad .

@StLouisCruisers I have cancelled a cruise because I really didn't want to be with the people that we had originally booked with.  BUT as you said, this was a cruise you really wanted to do, and you get to cruise with @dfish!!   It's not just a cruise, it is an adventure, so no, I would not change.  They said they were thinking about doing it.  Is this their norm,?  Maybe they haven't' booked it yet.  And if you change it, you lose, they may not even get on board.  Or maybe they read cruise critic??   I asked DH what he would do, he said if they do show up, then tell them the truth. And then go on your way.  I on the other hand, say tell the truth, and would watch my back.  Good Luck.

I like lamb when it is in gyro meat.  Other than that it is too gamey for me.  But I have always wanted to try the Lamb chops  that look so good  on some menus.

cad6ad378101d9a5a4b48846cbd18399.jpg

• Like 18
  • Haha 1

Good morning all.

When Roy mentioned yesterday that I hadn't posted for a while I didn't realize how long it had been. I have been reading every day. I could say that I am having too much fun, that would be somewhat true. I could also mention the bad internet, that also plays into it. I guess you could throw in the repetition of 8 sea days, the last of which is today. All have contributed.

The constant changing of time zones has messed with me a bit. It is now 5:12 am and I am wide awake. We changed the time last night, and the night before. Sunday night it was 30 minutes which didn't make it into the TV or Navigator app so everything was messed up for the morning.

For the sea days there has been a routine of get up, check CC & FB, breakfast, relax, lunch, Trivia, Trivia, Dinner, Trivia. Throw in a few (very good) presentations and performances and that has been my day.

Tomorrow at 6:30 we will see land. It is a tender port and the Captain has been preparing us for the fact the the weather might be too bad for tendering. Hopefully we will be able to go ashore.

I want to thank @rafinmdagain for posting the content each day. Also thanks to the F&B crew, and everyone else that makes this thread what it is. If anyone finds out about a schedule change I can still fix the content given a couple of days notice.

I hope everyone has a great Tuesday!

Rich

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Today is Ditch New Years Resolutions Day........................

Roy posting for Rich

Thanks Roy for Rich and top of the mornin' to ya! 😉

And here I always thought "Ditch New Years Resolutions" day was when these bad boys started making an appearance 🤓 

Some Girl Scout Cookie varieties are in short supply in Central and Western  Massachusetts as well as New Hampshire - masslive.com

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 19

Good morning all,

We have clear skies and a bright UFO that seems sort of familiar is shining in the SoCal skies. I can’t wait to see the snow in the mountains. It will likely be several days before the trails of “value” open up. Our OLLI program returns this week, so I expect to be busy.

@smitty34877 Happy to hear Tana is doing better. @StLouisCruisers oy! @kazu what I suspected. ‘Nuf said. Hope you feel better soon.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

@StLouisCruisersSo sorry that "those" relatives are on the same cruise that you are.  It's quite a dilemma.  Make it clear that you want to spend time with your DH and your friends, not them.    We have a fear that a certain relative of ours would book the same cruise as we have booked, I hope we never face that problem.   I hope they cancel.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from a partly sunny central Texas.  Right now there is no wind and it's 59F going to 76F today.  Then, we drop back into the 50s and 60s for the next ten days.  We also have a chance for some needed rain overnight, but that can change before the rain is supposed to start.

I had just finished writing this post when POOF! no post, and no way to retrieve it.  😒

Since I didn't make any resolutions, there are none to ditch.  Any I might have made would have been ditched before now.  Kid inventors can come up with some amazing things.  We have a kid inventor in the extended Daily family.  Carol's @mamaofami grandson has developed and patented an app.  There may be a bootlegger or two in our family trees.  The first lady who took care of my mother when she was diagnosed with MS was a bootlegger.  My father had to post her bail once.  😁

The Ralph Waldo Emerson quote is true, but I would like a long life too.

We'll pass on the meal since DH is not fond of lamb.  I like the lamb chops on BHBs, but the leg of lamb on Prinsendam was over cooked, dry and chewy.  We'll also pass on the drink and the wine.

Tonga is still on the bucket list.

@ottahand7  Nancy, thanks for your great pictures of the Ballestas Islands and the Candelabra.

@aliaschief  Bruce, I guess the cliché about all good things ending is true.  Hope you have safe and uneventful flights home.

@grapau27  Graham, I'm glad Sarah is resting at home and the painkillers are helping.  I hope she gets the call soon for the injections.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, you do have a dilemma.  You might think about talking with or writing to the relative before the cruise to say you will be busy with previous plans so won't have time to be with them.  It might avoid a scene on the ship. 

@smitty34877  Terri, that is great news that Tana is looking and feeling a little better, and that everyone had a good night's sleep.  "Listen" to the dogs about Tana's condition.  Dogs seem to have a sixth sense.

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope your appointment goes well and the doctor can help with the pain.  Please let us know how it goes.

@cat shepard  Ann, it always amazes me when it is warmer in Alaska than in the lower 48.

@cunnorl  Charlene, thanks for your wonderful pictures of Tonga.

@dfish  Debbie, I like your suggestion to Sandi @StLouisCruisers.  DH had some charges denied recently due to no FDA approval.  Medicare said that since he did not know beforehand they were not approved, he would not have to pay for them.  Our supplemental insurance also was not billed for those charges.

@rafinmd  Roy, I can relate to unexpected cold in Florida.  On one spring break visit to Orlando, we had to buy sweatshirts when a cold front blew through the state.  🥶

@richwmn  Rich, thanks for checking in.  Glad to know you are enjoying your cruise and keeping busy even if it's keeping busy doing nothing.

I hope @Scrapnana  Kathi has a treatment plan and is on the way to regaining her health.

🤞  that this does not go POOF!

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

57 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Good morning all.

When Roy mentioned yesterday that I hadn't posted for a while I didn't realize how long it had been. I have been reading every day. I could say that I am having too much fun, that would be somewhat true. I could also mention the bad internet, that also plays into it. I guess you could throw in the repetition of 8 sea days, the last of which is today. All have contributed.

The constant changing of time zones has messed with me a bit. It is now 5:12 am and I am wide awake. We changed the time last night, and the night before. Sunday night it was 30 minutes which didn't make it into the TV or Navigator app so everything was messed up for the morning.

For the sea days there has been a routine of get up, check CC & FB, breakfast, relax, lunch, Trivia, Trivia, Dinner, Trivia. Throw in a few (very good) presentations and performances and that has been my day.

Tomorrow at 6:30 we will see land. It is a tender port and the Captain has been preparing us for the fact the the weather might be too bad for tendering. Hopefully we will be able to go ashore.

I want to thank @rafinmdagain for posting the content each day. Also thanks to the F&B crew, and everyone else that makes this thread what it is. If anyone finds out about a schedule change I can still fix the content given a couple of days notice.

I hope everyone has a great Tuesday!

Rich

Rich, just curious; Did you already have the Neptune ceremony?   

• Like 10

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Good morning everyone.

Thanks Roy for our Tuesday Daily.

................................. In the meantime I’m going to keep a lower profile – I’ve already made one faux pas due to the pain and don’t need to make any more.

Sure! Apologies not required!  🧐

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Sure! Apologies not required!  🧐

I had typed up an apology but when I went to post it. it disappeared as had the posts.  But the apology stands.

• Like 12

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  It seems colder than it is but my phone says the temp is 49F.  It's still dark but predictions are clouds and then rain beginning around 11 am.  High temp will be around 62.  Thanks to Rich @richwmnfor creating the Daily content and Roy @rafinmdfor keeping on top of it each morning.  I don't make a bunch of resolutions each year, just try to live my best life.  Kid inventors sound intriguing.  There are a lot of smart kiddos out there!  Good luck to the bootleggers out there.  The quote is good, the drink sounds odd, and I don't care for chardonnay.  Thanks for the menu suggestion, now let's see what Debbie @dfishrecommends we do with it.  

Prayers for all our Daily friends and family, and the people of Ukraine.🙏  Cheers to all on the Celebration list.  Sorry to hear Bruce's @aliaschiefcruise is over but he always has another one in the works. 

We have a conundrum.  A relative called a few days ago to ask about the tornadoes and if we had survived them.  This is a relative and their spouse who showed their true colors during the long nursing home and hospice period of my DMIL's life.  We have edged ourselves away from that relationship.  However during the phone call this person mentioned their cruise bookings and mentioned the very end of July Zaandam booking we made in late December. 😲 My jaw dropped open when they said that and I decided at that time not to mention the fact we are booked on that cruise.  Now DH and I have been thinking about what we should do.  I would hate to be on a ship with this person and their spouse for 25 days.  They would never leave us alone!  But we really wanted to do this particular cruise.  Right now I'm going to start praying they change plans.  What would you do??  I hate to cancel because of them.

Hard to believe but we have had Nuku'olofa, Tonga as our port of the day three times before!  I was very surprised.  I haven't been there before so having not been to the two previous Japan ports, I am sitting here twiddling my thumbs.  LOL!  Here are the three posts from Rich in case you posted photos once before and would like to show them to us again.

Have a great day everyone!

Well, we did that once to avoid travelling with a problematic couple. I still regret not going because as it turned out, the other couple canceled just before final payment. It was an itinerary I really really wanted to do. If I could have a do over, I would go and deal with any issues on board as they came up. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

Today will be another day of putting Christmas decorations away (yes, I put out a lot) 😅  But hopefully this will be the last of it.  Yesterday our new washer/dryer set arrived and I have a lot of laundry to do too so the day will be full.  One good thing about getting new appliances is it kind of forces me to "clean out, get rid" of other things in that room so it looks pretty good.  

Today DH has another bladder chemo treatment, next Tuesday will be his last.  It's starting to wear on him, and he's not feeling great.  The anti-nausea meds are helping with that, but he feels fatigued and "off".  We'll be very glad when this is over.  His last treatment will be on my birthday so obviously that will be a quiet day here!  😄

Sandi @StLouisCruisersI agree with the advice to let them know you like to do your own thing/have plans with Debbie and Sue.  I feel for you!  We have a similar problem, but not to that extent.  A couple we don't care for but for other reasons (no big problem like you have).  We plan to keep to ourselves, and if we do run into them, make excuses.  On smaller ships I know that isn't as easy.  

Sharon @Sharon in AZYou Go Girl!  That's exciting that you booked that cruise solo.  I don't recall -- when will it be?  

Terry @smitty34877I'm happy to hear that Tana is doing better.  Continued prayers.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4

I salute all who manage to keep their New Year's resolutions. This was going to be a Dry January, but DS had his first meeting with a nutritionist last week - a very good thing! She gave him a number of recipes for the week, and we went shopping for all the ingredients on Sunday evening. Last night he cooked the first meal, with me supervising. Suffice it to say that Dry January has become "Damp January!" 😉

• Like 5
  • Haha 11