The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday January 21st, 2023

rafinmd

6 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from a very cloudy central Texas with a very light breeze.  It is currently 49F and if the sun comes out this afternoon, we may reach 60F.

Hugs are always nice and appreciated.  Some one liners can be very funny, but others can be classified as groaners.  With a metal roof and no trees in the yard, I can enjoy watching the squirrels running around, but not appreciate them. 

When we lived in The Woodlands, we had problems with squirrels getting in the attic, and we could hear them running around overhead.  Moth balls would work for a few weeks, and DH would patch the hole they gnawed in the house to access the attic.  There was a huge pine tree that was too close to the house, but as the name of the development implies, they loved their trees.  In order to remove any tree with a diameter larger than four inches, you had to get permission from the HOA.

The Ralph Waldo Emerson quote is very true, and hard to achieve.

Today's meal sounds good, and I think that will be on the menu tonight.  However, I think I'll use my pressure cooker recipe instead of one of the pan recipes.  We'll pass on the drink, but the wine would be nice with the chicken cacciatore.  Instead, I guess it will be cardbordeaux Pinot Noir.

We have been to Cannes at least four times, but it was never the port.  The first time was on Golden Princess's inaugural TA in 2001 when we took a tour to Nice and Cannes since it was our first time in Europe.  In 2002 on Nordam III, we took the train to Cannes twice from Monaco, and in 2004, again on Noordam III, we rented a car in St. Tropez and drove to Cannes.  Two visits were during the Film Festival, but since we were there mid-day, all the stars were still asleep.  I'll look for my pictures in a few minutes.

@cunnorl  Charlene, I hope you had a good round of golf.  The kite and balloon festive sounds like fun.

@Lady Hudson  Katherine, when we lived in SE PA near Newark, DE, in the early 1980s, we only had one really big snow in five winters.  Otherwise, we'd a nice snow that would be gone in a week or two.  The snow was just enough for the DDs to have fun, but not too much for us to have to shovel and plow a lot.  In 1983, we got 33" of snow, and DH, the DDs and our neighbor had a blast building a snowman, that the two men turned into a well build snow woman.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I also like the small, old European towns, but it's nice to see some of the cities too.  Thanks for your pictures.

@mamaofami  Carol, I hope you find your glasses soon.  Could you have left them somewhere when you were out?  

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm glad everyone liked the casserole last night.  I had planned to post my results with the changes, but I blue bubbled you because I misread your post, and it wasn't until late last night I saw you mentioned the beef and pasta recipes from a few days earlier. 😁  Could you share your vegetarian enchilada recipe?  I hope Tana gets over her cough soon, and that the nurse says her oxygen levels are good.  

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope your neighbor can take you to the store today.  I was wondering if you had cancel for any reason insurance for the cruise.  If so, it might be possible to make the payment and wait until closer to the sailing to see how your elbow is healing.

@Heartgrove  Jack, safe travels tomorrow, and 🎈 🛳️ BON VOYAGE! 🥂 🍾

For anyone who's interested, here is my chicken cacciatore recipe for the pressure cooker.

CHICKEN CACCIATORE

½ T olive oil                                         ½ cup dry white wine

1 chicken, cut up                                1 can diced tomatoes

1 med. onion, cut in wedges               1 T large capers, drained

1 med. red bell pepper, thin strips       ½ t salt

1 med. green pepper, thin strips         ½ t ground black pepper

8 oz. white mushrooms, in wedges    4 cloves garlic

2 T chopped fresh rosemary or 2 t dried rosemary

1 T chopped fresh oregano or 1 t dried oregano

Preheat the pressure cooker over medium heat and swirl in the oil if your pressure cooker has a sauté feature.  Otherwise, brown the chicken on the stove.  In batches, brown all pieces of chicken on both sides, about 10 minutes.

Remove the chicken to a plate and add the onion, bell peppers, mushrooms, and garlic to the cooker.  Cook, stirring constantly, until the mushrooms have softened, about 3 minutes.  Add the wine and cook for 1 minute more, stirring to dislodge any browned bits on the bottom of the cooker.  Return chicken to cooker.  Add the tomatoes, capers, rosemary, oregano, salt and black pepper.  Cover, lock and bring to low pressure over high heat.  Reduce the heat to stabilize pressure and cook for 15 minutes.  (If cooker will only work at high pressure, cook for 12 minutes.)

Lower the pressure by a quick-release method.  Carefully remove the cover.

Lenda

Thanks for the snow memories!  ☃️. Katherine 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Thanks for the recipe, Terry.  It sounds good and easy.  BTW, do you use corn or flour tortillas?  How many enchiladas does the recipe make?

Lenda

I use flour tortillas and it makes twelve enchiladas. I usually make two trays for the group as we are six for dinner every night.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, lobsternight said:

Squirrels UGH!  Don't mind our native Douglas Squirrels but they are mostly gone, Grey Squirrels have taken over.  We were late getting g chicken wire over our bulbs so not much hope for the tulips this year.

My eldest son spent a year at Uni in South Dakota.  Was very impressed at the size of them.  Can truly see why someone would make a meal of them, lots of meat on those suckers.  Not to mention the raccoons, I thought ours were big.  Spread like mile markers all along the highway, must be all that corn.

Yes, the raccoons can get big around here, and they are corn fed.  However, the meat is kind of greasy, more like bear meat.  There are lots of them along the highways, but you want to make sure you get a fresh one for the roadkill stew.  LOL😋

Edited by travelnap
  • Like 3
  • Haha 9

8 minutes ago, travelnap said:

Yes, the raccoons can get big around here, and they are corn fed.  However, the meat is kind of greasy, more like bear meat.  There are lots of them along the highways, but you want to make sure you get a fresh one for the roadkill stew.  LOL😋

Thank you for that information Larry, your brother Darryl and your other brother Darryl.

Get it?😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

5 hours ago, bennybear said:

@kazuone other option is to cancel for now, if it is too much to risk the HAL cancel for any reason and book last minute if things are a go.  So tough making these decision!  Third cruise lucky, I’m hoping!  

If it were me, I would be very hesitant to go on a cruise so soon after your recent experiences on the Konigsdam. If I remember correctly, you were not fully healed from your fall in October(?). I would want to be in #1 shape before embarking again. Try to think of yourself first.  Just some unsolicited advice from another solo cruiser.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kazu said:

That’s an idea, Brenda, thanks.   My concern is losing my tours or tying them up if I do that.  I’m wondering if the fates are telling me I should hold off cruising for a bit with the accidents.  Bad things also happen in 3’s LOL.    I’m in a pessimistic mood today, I guess.

Rehab on the elbow is going to take time - especially with the delay in surgery - assuming it does heal.  

Nice!

Yay on the can opener!  Mine comes tomorrow.  

Wow you are not going in a cast on the 9th and then for 6 weeks.  😱 

My sympathies on the casting and time in it 😔. You are indeed brave as there is not a lot of rehab or healing time for you before sailing.

7 years ago I broke my elbow when I got hit in the Costco parking lot.  I was in a brace for 8 weeks.  DH and I were on pins and needles as final payment had been made before it happened.  I got the ortho’s blessing to cruise with 2 weeks to go  provided I used the hydrotherapy pool.

Back then, I had Jose.  So he could manage the luggage and I just had to manage my elbow.  Here’s my advice to you (if I may) - when you go to rehab as you get close to sailing - ask for ALL of the exercises (since you get new ones as you progress) and spend the $ to meet with your therapist to make sure you understand  each one so you can do them properly when you reach the next level. (Yours might not be as complicated as mine but time in a cast means rehab for sure).

And DEFINITELY use the hydrotherapy pool for one set each day (careful as it feels easier) and another set in your cabin.

I walked on that cruise in a sling with Jose doing all the heavy lifting and walked off pulling my own carry on - 35 day cruise.

But, that cruise was the South Pacific - warm weather which really helps healing bones and joints versus the cold.

Hope I am not out of turn trying to help.

I need all the advice I can get. It is my left hand and they are removing a bone at the base of the thumb and taking a tendon from my forearm and making a joint. I will also have the next joint fused and pinned. It sounds like a lot but two friends have had it done. I will have a removable brace after 6 weeks and a month of therapy before I leave.  I know it will be stiff but I hope it all works out. This winter has been tough. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Tbay said:

@Sharon in AZNot the Nancy you asked, but I am on this cruise too. the lunch was delicious.  Quite spicy but good. The banana fritters and ice cream helped tame the heat. Nancy

Thank you Nancy for your reply. It sounds interesting and I hope it’s offered on one of my upcoming cruises. I like spicy food. 

3 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

@Sharon in AZ.  I am glad you got some other feedback on today's Rijstaffel lunch. We woke up late and had late breakfast before we looked at today's lunch offering.  I don't think it was announced in the program for today's activities because we probably would have tried it.  I had to explain what it was to John. We have been so fortunate on this cruise. The food and service has been magical. We held off on lunch because of the hour long  Chilean wine tasting, as much as we wanted. First time in the MDR for dinner we didn't order wine we were so "well wined". @XBGuy I have attached the menu from last night's Pinnacle Gala. I requested no truffles so that part was missing.   

We had a beautiful sunset yesterday. We passed our Covid tests today but had a scare just at the 30 minute wait mark when the phone rang.  Thankfully it was the Pinnacle Grill calling that they will be closed when I have a pre booked dinner.  Today the captain put out a call for an emergency need for blood donors of A + or O blood please show up at Wajang theater immediately with their donor cards. I understand that they secured three pints but we have no other information.  We are enjoying football in our cabin tonight on this lazy day.  Nancy 

IMG_20230121_191902693.jpg

IMG_20230120_213146328_HDR.jpg

Maybe it will be offered again. It’s a shame that it isn’t advertised more. Your Pinnacle special meal and menu looked and sounds amazing. I agree, that was a big piece of tenderloin. 

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thank you for that information Larry, your brother Darryl and your other brother Darryl.

Get it?😉

Yes Bob, I get it. 😉. Loved that show. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

I need all the advice I can get. It is my left hand and they are removing a bone at the base of the thumb and taking a tendon from my forearm and making a joint. I will also have the next joint fused and pinned. It sounds like a lot but two friends have had it done. I will have a removable brace after 6 weeks and a month of therapy before I leave.  I know it will be stiff but I hope it all works out. This winter has been tough. 

Ugh - that sounds tricky.  

It sounds like you have had a tough winter 😔. It’s good that you know people who have had it done.  At least you have some feed back and an idea what you are facing.

braces can be beneficial - how long do you have to wear it after the cast?

My very best wishes for you on your surgery and best of luck on your rehab. 🙏 

• Like 11

39 minutes ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

If it were me, I would be very hesitant to go on a cruise so soon after your recent experiences on the Konigsdam. If I remember correctly, you were not fully healed from your fall in October(?). I would want to be in #1 shape before embarking again. Try to think of yourself first.  Just some unsolicited advice from another solo cruiser.

Thanks.  That’s kind of my mindset right now - I don’t want to get back on a ship unless I am absolutely 100%,   Appreciate your thoughts.  

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Lady Hudson said:

Thanks for the snow memories!  ☃️. Katherine 

If I could send you some of our snow and storms, I’d be happy to.  Another one rolling in on Monday - sounds like a gem.  I’ll try to blow it your way 😂 

• Like 8

The chicken caccatiore was a success, but we're both stuffed.  The good news is there is enough for another meal.

2 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

I use flour tortillas and it makes twelve enchiladas. I usually make two trays for the group as we are six for dinner every night.

Thanks for the added information.  I was hoping you use flour tortillas since they are much easier tinwork with.  I think 12 would be enough for two or three meals.

Lenda

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

If I could send you some of our snow and storms, I’d be happy to.  Another one rolling in on Monday - sounds like a gem.  I’ll try to blow it your way 😂 

Thanks and you stay safe.  Prayers for a complete recovery and the removal of your cast — though it is a very nice shade of pink.  Katherine 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Years ago in another life, I went to a black powder gun shoot.  I dont shoot. But the contestants were to dress in period pieces to match their guns.  One guy showed up all in fur, all from road kill.  Coon skin cap,  kilt made out of deer, but his coat was made of coyote.  He looked like a poorly put together stuffed animal.  I see more road kill up in the GA mountains in the spring, but they are all skunks.  

Between the cat food and the bird seed, I feed all the squirrels and racoons in the neighborhood.  I am so appreciated that the birds flock around me when I put out seed.  They get first dibs then before the squirrels.  And yes, our power problem with the house this winter was caused by squirrels.

@Overhead Fred I love your white squirrel!  Winter camo.

Supposed to get some serious cold rain tonight.  Computer says Heavy rain soon.  Fawn is asleep on the porch, the vermin have come and dined on the extra cat food, and I'm thinking about going to bed.

Lots  of errands to run tomorrow.  Groceries, bird seed, and sundries for the house.

@kazuI think this year, you have had 3 bad things happen already.  so maybe you are past the 3 bad things..if things happen in 3's, and the year started last year....

@HeartgroveHave fun on the Legend.  My favorite part of the ship is the front of deck 3, there is a room that goes around the front of the ship, with huge round windows, it's a quiet place, seats to read and contemplate.

Lots of family folks named Roy, my grandfather was LeRoy.  No one ever called him Roy.  (but it 's sort of close)  and it wasn't Lee Roy, it had a french accent . Le Roy.  But no one can pronounce our last name at all.🙀

45f28946b3ba39127282e9f5f444b302.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

@rafinmd Roy, I think I remember you saying you submitted your application online for passport renewal about 7 or 8 weeks ago. Has that process been completed yet? 

I was wondering the same. I submitted my renewal application online on December 28th. I held my breath that the photo would be accepted. It got past their computer scrutiny, but it said a state department official would still check it. I know it's not even 4 weeks yet for mine. 

• Like 7

12 hours ago, summer slope said:

Question for those of you who cruise often.  Do you know if the crew asks for the same ship for their next contract?

Not that we cruise all that often, but we are quite recently back from our B2B on the K'dam AND have a booking for the 35-day Hawaii-Tahiti on same ship in 2024, so we said to several crew members, "See you next year!" and to a one they replied, "We don't know what ship we'll be on then." Just for a different answer!

This is a nice thread, my first Saturday Daily (I followed a link to catch up on @kazu's status).

• Like 13

I realize that only Jacqui's doctor can give her advice concerning her injury.  Thought I would mention what we did in 2015.  We were ten days from leaving for Dover for an 89 day cruise on the Ocean Princess around Africa and back to Rome when my DW tripped and fell and broke her arm.  Local hospital put it in a cast and she asked her primary care doctor if she was OK to travel.  He told her how to take care of it and about 3 weeks later she had the cast removed and X-rayed on the ship off the coast of Africa.  Worked out fine for us and was a great cruise.  We paid the medical bill on the ship and were later reimbursed by TriCare.

Ray

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Not that we cruise all that often, but we are quite recently back from our B2B on the K'dam AND have a booking for the 35-day Hawaii-Tahiti on same ship in 2024, so we said to several crew members, "See you next year!" and to a one they replied, "We don't know what ship we'll be on then." Just for a different answer!

This is a nice thread, my first Saturday Daily (I followed a link to catch up on @kazu's status).

Welcome to the Daily 🙂 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Sending you a warm welcome.

Graham.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to @crystalspin!  Hope to see more of you on the Daily.

13 hours ago, cruising sister said:

My DBIL had that same surgery the week after Thanksgiving.  He was in the cast at Christmas, but still seemed to enjoy himself.  He's now in a splint that is not too confining and says he's doing very well.  He is managing to get back to some of his regular activities.  He is able to cook meals again and he's a great cook.  Wood working will have to wait a bit.  His furniture is beautiful.  He is worried he won't be 100% for golf season, but he can always start late.  Good luck with it!  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, kazu said:

Marianne & I are happy to hear that you are home & recovering .We were so worried about HAL dropping  you in PV   off the ship . also glad that your surgery was not delayed   . We hope all goes well for you   on future cruises & through life .All out best for you 😀

Marianne & Cliff

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Marianne & I are happy to hear that you are home & recovering .We were so worried about HAL dropping  you in PV   off the ship . also glad that your surgery was not delayed   . We hope all goes well for you   on future cruises & through life .All out best for you 😀

Marianne & Cliff

Thank you kindly.  Hopefully I am healing 🤞 We wait and see what happens when the first cast comes off.

• Like 1