The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday January 21st, 2023

rafinmd

@dfish Happy Birthday to your brother, Bill

2038BF7E-1AAB-4CB7-88D4-5964E626A8F5.jpeg.4d34f93ee3832de50bbb27485fb7f618.jpeg

54 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I’ve been enjoying checking the menus on the Volendam. I am able to view them on the Navigator app since I have an upcoming cruise on the Volendam. Today they are having an Indonesian lunch in the MDR:

BC157707-E1C0-44EE-8ADB-2706E92C725E.thumb.jpeg.84554db437d8e2564fa619ae76c1b8a2.jpeg

@ottahand7 Nancy, did you have this for lunch?  If so, did you enjoy it?

Not Nancy but - It was on the P’dam on our turn around day for those on the Collectors’ cruise.  We really enjoyed it.

50 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope your neighbor can take you to the store today.  I was wondering if you had cancel for any reason insurance for the cruise.  If so, it might be possible to make the payment and wait until closer to the sailing to see how your elbow is healing.

No, I don’t and it’s too late to buy it.  Has to be bought very quickly after booking.  I always used my own provided as a benefit (which now I question) and have taken HAL’s on occasion but mainly for the cancellation benefit.  HAL’s is an option but the premium is non-refundable and only 90% is refunded.  So, there’s a lot of weighing out to do and money to pay out while I wait for insurance fights and repayment.

Not to mention that my savings have been decimated and I’ve had to hit assets to pay for the medical bills.  

If I had more time, it would be good.   I’ll figure it out.

38 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Question for those of you who cruise often.  Do you know if the crew asks for the same ship for their next contract?

Yes they can.  It depends on where they are needed though and even the Captain and HD.  As an example, most of the staff on the Prinsendam had been on her for their entire careers if they were good.  It’s one of the things that made that ship so enjoyable as you knew so many of the staff and they knew you when you returned.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Bright sun this morning and the sky is deep blue. Looks lovely. Feels really cold. It is 10:35 here and only 14F. Dogs are both in a deep sleep on the sofa. All I can see of the Chihuahua are the tips of two ears. I will wait for about another hour to haul garbage down to the bin and hope the lid is no longer frozen shut. We may get another snow on Monday but I will be very happy if it gives us a pass.

Continue trying to get the house organized but it would progress faster if I would stop looking at books while sorting. And last night I took a long trip down memory lane with 3 old photo albums. Funny, there were some people that I did not recognize, but I would name all the dogs, cats and horses.

Susan

• Like 24

4 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Can you ask your doctor what he thinks about your readiness for that cruise before you cancel?

Yes, I am going to.  Not sure how much he can tell me without the X-Ray though on the 8th.  However,  I will ask him my odds, never fear.  I have a bit of time.

• Like 19

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @rafinmd and @richwmn.

I'm a day off on hugging; no one here but me, but BFF got a hug yesterday for taking me to my test and back home. I have too many squirrels in my yard, who bury and dig up acorns from my neighbors' oak trees. In my first house squirrels chewed through the wood fascia and got in the attic. I had them humanely removed, and the fascia covered with aluminum siding. One-liners can be amusing or groaners. Excellent quote. I like the meal, pass on the drink, and yes to the wine.

I haven't been to Cannes.

It's cloudy and in the mid-30's here now. I think dry today, but rain/snow tomorrow. No special plans here today, other than maybe some food prep and the never-ending tidying up.

@cunnorl Enjoy your golf game.

@Lady Hudson It's good to hear that DH is halfway done with his dental work.

@Crazy For Cats Good deal on free eggs. Since I do lower carbs, I eat a lot of eggs or egg whites. The price in the grocery store is shocking for a dozen eggs!

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for the Cannes photos. Happy Birthday tomorrow to DGS.

@mamaofami I hope you find your glasses.

@smitty34877 I'm happy to hear Tana is getting better, but sorry about the horrible cough. I hope you and she can get better rest soon.

@kazu Ugh on the bad weather. Sorry the cast is so annoying. Hard decision about the May cruise.

@Heartgrove Bon Voyage tomorrow!

@dfish Thanks for today's recipes and Happy Birthday to Bill.

@2inSETexas Welcome to the Fleet/Daily!

@grapau27 Good news that Sarah is feeling much better.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Thanks for the pressure cooker chicken cacciatore recipe. Great Cannes photos.

@Cruising-along Continued prayers for Patricia.

@ocean sounds Funny how the dogs wait until the squirrel finishes, before chasing him.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to the Celebration List.

Stay well everyone.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 7

I've visited Cannes once, on the NCL Epic, but was there only long enough to rent and return a car, because three other passengers and I made a DIY excursion to Vence to visit the Chapelle du Rosaire, designed near the end of his life by Henri Matisse. For the car, I expected a Skoda Octavia or Hyundai Elantra, but we actually had an Alfa Romeo Giulia!

The Chapelle du Rosaire isn't on any standard tours, and has only street parking. It could be part of a customized tour for a small group.

I don't have photos, but pictures are on its website. We had lunch in Tourettes-sur-Loup at La Barbacane, recommended by @marazul. It's one of the few occasions on which I have spoken any French in France; my French is essentially limited to talking about food. Another in our group was a French teacher.

In French cooking, BTW, cacciatore would be chasseur and would almost always mean that the dish includes mushrooms, theoretically gathered in the forest. I don't know what dinner here will be, only that it won't be chicken but will include chard, now that all the bok choy has been eaten. I had the leftover Broccolini with lunch.

I think that the drink of the day would taste like (expensive) old-time cough medicine.

The Junior Cat has resumed using her heated bed, after not lying it at all so far this winter when the house was colder than it is today. She is a very small, short-haired cat, so likely to feel the cold.

1335368355_nolimits.jpg.93be024153e39d1d690632bb536c4a06.jpg

• Like 17
  • Haha 5

Good morning and thanks all!  DS was fortunate to attend Cannes a few years ago, quite the experience but he told me yesterday he is still over Salad Nicoise, lol!  

@kazuone other option is to cancel for now, if it is too much to risk the HAL cancel for any reason and book last minute if things are a go.  So tough making these decision!  Third cruise lucky, I’m hoping!  

our view this morning! 

77FEC358-23C5-4964-B518-0120FADE23DE.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Happy Saturday all,

I am a big believer in hugs. Part of my anticipatory guidance I gave to my teen patients was to give their parents 3 hugs a day. It helps them connect with someone even if they currently don’t really like their rules! 

I tried my new can opener and it worked great. I feel I am now prepared for six weeks in a cast staring  February 9th. 

Jacqui I know this is a hard decision for you. I will be out of my cast for a few weeks before I leave for our May cruise but I am  going for it. I figure it is over 3 months away and I hope my bones will heal by then. I will have to be diligent about doing my therapy while I am on the cruise.  With someone cooking and cleaning for me it may be easier to recover on the ship!  I know it is harder without Jose and I worry about recovering alone too. You must do what is right for you. 

DGS and I waiting for the Chiefs game to start. Unfortunately weather will not be good. 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon everyone!

Thanks to all who make this my go-to spot multiple times a day. I haven't posted much lately as the days are quite busy, at least this week. DH had the Wound Care doctor on Wednesday. This involved specialized wheelchair transport both ways ($250.00) and his wound was debrided, etc. The verdict is that the wound will heal but it may take a while. Now we have to go in weekly so that special transport bill is getting up there! Oh well... it's worth it. 

Thursday our new stove and fridge (both LG) were delivered and installed. I'm in love! Our kitchen looks so much nicer and - the interior of the stove is a wonderful electric blue! I love it! Yesterday my walking partner came and sat with DH for a few hours so I could attend a memorial service for a close friend's Dad. He passed away Dec. 22nd but they delayed the memorial until after the holidays. Another friend (we both taught with DF) went with me. The service was lovely and I'm glad we went. DH enjoyed the time with my walking partner and they had tea and cookies and watched Dr. Pol. 

Have a great weekend! I'm off to christen the stove by making snickerdoodle and Oreo Cookie fudge for DH. I'm such a good wife. 

Karen

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

@kazuone other option is to cancel for now, if it is too much to risk the HAL cancel for any reason and book last minute if things are a go.  So tough making these decision!  Third cruise lucky, I’m hoping!  

That’s an idea, Brenda, thanks.   My concern is losing my tours or tying them up if I do that.  I’m wondering if the fates are telling me I should hold off cruising for a bit with the accidents.  Bad things also happen in 3’s LOL.    I’m in a pessimistic mood today, I guess.

Rehab on the elbow is going to take time - especially with the delay in surgery - assuming it does heal.  

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

our view this morning! 

77FEC358-23C5-4964-B518-0120FADE23DE.jpeg

Nice!

1 hour ago, cruising sister said:

I tried my new can opener and it worked great. I feel I am now prepared for six weeks in a cast staring  February 9th. 

Yay on the can opener!  Mine comes tomorrow.  

1 hour ago, cruising sister said:

Jacqui I know this is a hard decision for you. I will be out of my cast for a few weeks before I leave for our May cruise but I am  going for it. I figure it is over 3 months away and I hope my bones will heal by then. I will have to be diligent about doing my therapy while I am on the cruise.  With someone cooking and cleaning for me it may be easier to recover on the ship!  I know it is harder without Jose and I worry about recovering alone too. You must do what is right for you. 

Wow you are not going in a cast on the 9th and then for 6 weeks.  😱 

My sympathies on the casting and time in it 😔. You are indeed brave as there is not a lot of rehab or healing time for you before sailing.

7 years ago I broke my elbow when I got hit in the Costco parking lot.  I was in a brace for 8 weeks.  DH and I were on pins and needles as final payment had been made before it happened.  I got the ortho’s blessing to cruise with 2 weeks to go  provided I used the hydrotherapy pool.

Back then, I had Jose.  So he could manage the luggage and I just had to manage my elbow.  Here’s my advice to you (if I may) - when you go to rehab as you get close to sailing - ask for ALL of the exercises (since you get new ones as you progress) and spend the $ to meet with your therapist to make sure you understand  each one so you can do them properly when you reach the next level. (Yours might not be as complicated as mine but time in a cast means rehab for sure).

And DEFINITELY use the hydrotherapy pool for one set each day (careful as it feels easier) and another set in your cabin.

I walked on that cruise in a sling with Jose doing all the heavy lifting and walked off pulling my own carry on - 35 day cruise.

But, that cruise was the South Pacific - warm weather which really helps healing bones and joints versus the cold.

Hope I am not out of turn trying to help.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Squirrels UGH!  Don't mind our native Douglas Squirrels but they are mostly gone, Grey Squirrels have taken over.  We were late getting g chicken wire over our bulbs so not much hope for the tulips this year.

My eldest son spent a year at Uni in South Dakota.  Was very impressed at the size of them.  Can truly see why someone would make a meal of them, lots of meat on those suckers.  Not to mention the raccoons, I thought ours were big.  Spread like mile markers all along the highway, must be all that corn.

• Like 14

@Quartzsite Cruiser,Lenda, I liked your recipe and decided to go with that,thanks again. I got the bean and cheese enchilada recipe from a coworker years ago. It is fairly quick to put together.

preheat oven to 425

chop two medium onions finely and sauté in olive oil with four cloves minced garlic for several minutes. 
Add 15 ounces of crushed or chopped tomatoes to the onions and

2 tsp chili powder

1and a half tsp cumin  and a half tsp of hot sauce

add two cans of rinsed,drained black beans and once off the heat add 6 ounces of shredded cheddar to the mixture

Reserve one and a half cups of sauce mixture for topping rolled enchiladas

heat 10-12 tortillas

Roll up filling in  tortillas and place in 9x 13 pan,cover with reserved sauce and cover the enchiladas with another cup or so of cheddar shredded.

heat in oven 10 to 15 minutes

top with sour cream. Enjoy!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, summer slope said:

Question for those of you who cruise often.  Do you know if the crew asks for the same ship for their next contract?

I know that MSC gives the crewmembers a contract for a certain ship, take it or leave it. For HAL, I think crewmembers with a few contracts under their belt get a choice providing there is a billet they can fill.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon all,

I had a great time with DDIL at Flower World.  We spent 2 hours there, she got some great indoor plants and pots to replace the ones she gave away or lost in their move here from CA.  She also got me an early birthday present -- a Grandiflora fragrant yellow rose bush.  Now for spring!  It was snowing/frozen mix when we left the nursery, thankfully it just turned to rain on the drive home.

I got this in my email today.  We'll probably go, we went last year and had a good time.  

Holland America Line
Alaska Cruise & Travel Show

You’re Invited!

Discover untold wonders of the Last Frontier at the Alaska Cruise & Travel Show. Join us on March 18 to learn why cruising to Alaska is the best with Holland America Line — the Alaska experts since 1947. Plan your Alaska adventure at the ultimate Great Land expo.

DATE: Saturday, March 18, 2023
TIME: From 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
LOCATION: Bell Harbor International Conference Center at Pier 66
2211 Alaskan Way, Seattle, WA 98121
ENTRY: FREE
ACTIVITIES: Pan for real gold, make s’mores, try axe-throwing and much more!

proxy?source=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.holland

Win a cruise for two! All registered attendees will automatically be entered to win special prizes including one of seven Alaska cruises for two.*

• Like 22

40 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser,Lenda, I liked your recipe and decided to go with that,thanks again. I got the bean and cheese enchilada recipe from a coworker years ago. It is fairly quick to put together.

preheat oven to 425

chop two medium onions finely and sauté in olive oil with four cloves minced garlic for several minutes. 
Add 15 ounces of crushed or chopped tomatoes to the onions and

2 tsp chili powder

1and a half tsp cumin  and a half tsp of hot sauce

add two cans of rinsed,drained black beans and once off the heat add 6 ounces of shredded cheddar to the mixture

Reserve one and a half cups of sauce mixture for topping rolled enchiladas

heat 10-12 tortillas

Roll up filling in  tortillas and place in 9x 13 pan,cover with reserved sauce and cover the enchiladas with another cup or so of cheddar shredded.

heat in oven 10 to 15 minutes

top with sour cream. Enjoy!

Thanks for the recipe, Terry.  It sounds good and easy.  BTW, do you use corn or flour tortillas?  How many enchiladas does the recipe make?

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Happy Saturday all,

I am a big believer in hugs. Part of my anticipatory guidance I gave to my teen patients was to give their parents 3 hugs a day. It helps them connect with someone even if they currently don’t really like their rules! 

DGS and I waiting for the Chiefs game to start. Unfortunately weather will not be good. 

Best wishes for your bones healing before your May cruise.

Graham.

• Like 8

@Sharon in AZ.  I am glad you got some other feedback on today's Rijstaffel lunch. We woke up late and had late breakfast before we looked at today's lunch offering.  I don't think it was announced in the program for today's activities because we probably would have tried it.  I had to explain what it was to John. We have been so fortunate on this cruise. The food and service has been magical. We held off on lunch because of the hour long  Chilean wine tasting, as much as we wanted. First time in the MDR for dinner we didn't order wine we were so "well wined". @XBGuy I have attached the menu from last night's Pinnacle Gala. I requested no truffles so that part was missing.   

We had a beautiful sunset yesterday. We passed our Covid tests today but had a scare just at the 30 minute wait mark when the phone rang.  Thankfully it was the Pinnacle Grill calling that they will be closed when I have a pre booked dinner.  Today the captain put out a call for an emergency need for blood donors of A + or O blood please show up at Wajang theater immediately with their donor cards. I understand that they secured three pints but we have no other information.  We are enjoying football in our cabin tonight on this lazy day.  Nancy 

IMG_20230121_191902693.jpg

IMG_20230120_213146328_HDR.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

Good afternoon Everyone!

I can appreciate squirrels, if they follow the rules at my place!  The rule is stay off the house and stay out by the walnut trees!  We have three walnut trees, two I planted, the third came up, by the chicken pen! I suspect a squirrel buried the walnut, but the tree it is in a nice location and provides shade for the chickie pen.  They also have a "highway" around the place following the fence.  Fortunately the dog keeps them away from the house so they stay off the house!  The past year we haven't had as many around, which makes me wonder if the neighbors have done something to discourage them?  My Mom feeds them at her retirement apartment and enjoys watching them (my brother buys her "shelled" peanuts) so there isn't a shell mess to clean up!

I'll get a hug when hubby gets home today, I know he will be tired as he is over helping his Dad "clean".  Chicken dish looks delicious I'll save the recipes for another time as I am not sure when Hubby will get home.

Keep warm everyone, it has started snowing again here................

Denise

• Like 13

46 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Today the captain put out a call for an emergency need for blood donors of A + or O blood please show up at Wajang theater immediately with their donor cards

If this happens on my next cruise (I have type O), I'll be no help, because I'll have donated blood too recently.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3