The $36 laundry bag. Is it worth it?

dltaeg

We are travelling as a family of 5 on a 12 night cruise (15 night holiday) and I really want to try and travel light so we aren't having to carry 3 big suitcases with us before and after the cruise. 

So can anyone tell me about the laundry bag, how big is it, is it easy to do, do I need to book in advance or anything else really. Thanks 😄 

If you are speaking of the wash and fold bag, it is about 12x18  sometimes plastic, sometimes paper.  You will be surprised how much fits in the bag.  Best to roll the items. The offer is for certain listed items- underwear, socks, t shirts, pj’s, shorts, swimsuits ( men’s swim trunks). The clothing is washed in hot water and dried on high so  the offer is not suitable for delicate clothing or anything that can’t be hot washed and dried. 

Simply ask  the cabin attendant for the bag and form. It takes 24-48 hours to get the clothing back.  We find it useful but are careful of the items we send. 
m

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, dltaeg said:

We are travelling as a family of 5 on a 12 night cruise (15 night holiday) and I really want to try and travel light so we aren't having to carry 3 big suitcases with us before and after the cruise. 

So can anyone tell me about the laundry bag, how big is it, is it easy to do, do I need to book in advance or anything else really. Thanks 😄 

The laundry bag is made of thin paper and it can rip very easily.  You aren't going to get more than underwear and maybe some socks in there for a family of 5.  We had 2 laundry services during our 14 night Wonder TA last year.  So here are some pictures of what they gave us.  The Cruise Compass is obviously 8.5" x 11", so that should give you an idea of the size of the laundry bag.

IMG_1251.JPEG

IMG_1253.JPEG

IMG_1254.JPEG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dltaeg said:

The biggest consideration is the restriction on the types of clothes that qualify for the fluff and fold special. It is far more restrictive than other cruise lines. 

Not worth it to me at 36.00....but I do use it as a free bag C&A perk.

You do NOT want to put anything delicate in that bag.  And whites will come back gray.  

We use it for socks, cotton undies, exercise clothes.   Just sent one out again a few minutes ago. 

We refer to the bag as "boil and fry".  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, island lady said:

Not worth it to me at 36.00....but I do use it as a free bag C&A perk.

You do NOT want to put anything delicate in that bag.  And whites will come back gray.  

We use it for socks, cotton undies, exercise clothes.   Just sent one out again a few minutes ago. 

We refer to the bag as "boil and fry".  

I agree with everything you wrote.  Especially everything comes back gray and boil and fry 🤣

Edited by lovesthebeach2
  • Like 1

Less than 24 hours yesterday on Voyager.  Five shirts, uw, shirts easily fit and could have done  3 more sets with ease.  Since we live in bathing suits on cruise we use far less clothes than normal.   Water shirts may tend to stand up on their own though. 

It's worth it to me. 

I'll admit this may not be PC and I am a little old fashion, but, if I'm not willing to do my own laundry while I'm on vacation, I sure as heck have no expectation that my wife should spend her vacation washing my drawers. I have no intention of becoming a pack mule on my vacation and lugging 3 or 4 large suitcases around, therefore, sending out laundry is a viable option.

• Like 2

On 2/9/2023 at 4:55 AM, dltaeg said:

Unless you're traveling with very small children, take the big suitcases. You're a big enough group that you'll need larger transportation options (Uber xl instead of regular for example), so that won't factor in. This way you don't have to try and travel as light as possible, and you have room for anything you might want to purchase on the trip. Personally, as a duo, I take three suit cases, but i admit that's out of sheer laziness. 

2 hours ago, tvo7 said:

I will be traveling on the Adventure.  Do they have laundromats on board?  Or do I have to use the crusie services?

2 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

No self service laundry on Adventure. 
m

No Royal Caribbean ship has passenger accessible self-service laundry. However one is apparently being added to Serenade for the World Cruise.

Edited by RobInMN
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, LeeW said:

Less than 24 hours yesterday on Voyager.  Five shirts, uw, shirts easily fit and could have done  3 more sets with ease.  Since we live in bathing suits on cruise we use far less clothes than normal.   Water shirts may tend to stand up on their own though. 

Got my "boil and fry" back yesterday afternoon as well.  

12 hours ago, tvo7 said:

I will be traveling on the Adventure.  Do they have laundromats on board?  Or do I have to use the crusie services?

No RCI ships have self service laundry...but there is a rumor they may add a laundry room on Serenade for World Cruise.  

12 hours ago, brownc424 said:

Unless you're traveling with very small children, take the big suitcases. You're a big enough group that you'll need larger transportation options (Uber xl instead of regular for example), so that won't factor in. This way you don't have to try and travel as light as possible, and you have room for anything you might want to purchase on the trip. Personally, as a duo, I take three suit cases, but i admit that's out of sheer laziness. 

I only do B2B plus cruises.  Boil and Fry (aka wash and fold), hand washing, and on really long trips, dry cleaning is our option versus overpacking.  

Just how many suitcases would I need for the World Cruise if I didn't do that?   😉 

• Haha 1