The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday March 4th, 2023

Good morning all!

We're getting some of that "frozen mix" this morning, 36 degrees F.

Great collection of days today!  I'll give my GI a hug (DH was in the Army when we got married) then went on to retire from the Navy.

I'll pass on the drink but would like the wine and meal.  Unfortunately for now anyway, chili is on my no-no list (too much sodium) but I do love it and it sounds so good right now.  We've been to San Juan twice, the last time was just 4-5 months ago.  

Yesterday we picked up the kittens from DD's house and will have them for the weekend while DD and family are skiing.  Now they both are on antibiotics, but thankfully it's been easy to administer because they both love their can food and lick their bowls clean.  

It seems that several of us have kids who love their skiing.  DD and DSIL are thrilled that both boys love it as much as they do, and are getting quite good at it.  Here's a photo from their last ski trip.

skiing.thumb.jpg.1ab75d42e954967572433048e540a408.jpg

I appreciate the photos today of Jupiter and Venus because with our cloudy skies we can't see them.

Safe travels and bon voyage Todd @TAW1963!

Dixie @summer slopeprayers that the prednisone can help your kitty.

Lorraine @cruising sisterwhat a wonderful tribute the snare drum line did at your DS' Celebration of Life.

The first time we went to San Juan was in January of 2017 on the Koningsdam.  It must not have been as hot as it was this past October on the Nieuw Statendam, because that day we walked about 5 miles to two forts, San Cristobal and Del Morro.  We couldn't have done that this last trip, much too hot and humid that day.

SanJuan2.thumb.jpg.f0b7f50d629c8501b6206ae31c7604d4.jpg

SanJuan1.thumb.jpg.39a6b746b13890b4e9d906dd5077f106.jpg

SanCristobal.thumb.jpg.4e5023917e35ba135d9a672922dd243e.jpg

SanJuanandSanCristobal.jpg.7bd422755c3d968d75ff16027fd49d26.jpg

It was much cooler at the El Yunque Rain Forest, so glad we took that tour last October.
rainforest1.thumb.jpg.b9dd47d7e36fe3ec33580b5a532f42e2.jpg

flowersrainforest.thumb.jpg.e417a3f626276d569106fd13a46c805c.jpg

ElYunqueRainForestwaterfall1.thumb.jpg.16ea46f461181fda38975caf509b2079.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Great collection of days today!  I'll give my GI a hug (DH was in the Army when we got married) then went on to retire from the Navy.

I'll pass on the drink but would like the wine and meal.  Unfortunately for now anyway, chili is on my no-no list (too much sodium) but I do love it and it sounds so good right now.  We've been to San Juan twice, the last time was just 4-5 months ago.  

Yesterday we picked up the kittens from DD's house and will have them for the weekend while DD and family are skiing.  Now they both are on antibiotics, but thankfully it's been easy to administer because they both love their can food and lick their bowls clean.  

It seems that several of us have kids who love their skiing.  DD and DSIL are thrilled that both boys love it as much as they do, and are getting quite good at it.  Here's a photo from their last ski trip.

I appreciate the photos today of Jupiter and Venus because with our cloudy skies we can't see them.

Lorraine @cruising sisterwhat a wonderful tribute the snare drum line did at your DS' Celebration of Life.

The first time we went to San Juan was in January of 2017 on the Koningsdam.  It must not have been as hot as it was this past October on the Nieuw Statendam, because that day we walked about 5 miles to two forts, San Cristobal and Del Morro.  We couldn't have done that this last trip, much too hot and humid that day.

It was much cooler at the El Yunque Rain Forest, so glad we took that tour last October.

Lovely photos.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

The sun is trying to peak out here. I always find that lifts the spirit and makes it easier to do things around the house, rather than just sitting.

@durangoscots Sorry to hear about more deaths of people doing outdoor sports in dangerous conditions. I hope you can figure out what's going on with Monty's patch of hair loss. 

@AncientWanderer When was your cruise on the Golden Princess? Mine was in also in 2004, early October for a big birthday. I'd think learning to ski that early is the way to go.

@kochleffel Thanks for the additional information about Holy Experiment Day.

@Cruzin Terri I'm glad the tilers are there today working. And that the tv table is together, despite the aggravation of getting it done. 

@smitty34877 Nice to see your family having fun.

Our cruise on Golden Princess departed June 20 of 2004.  It was a celebration for us as well -- graduation.  We had our kids and DMIL along with us.  Very enjoyable cruise.

• Like 12

17 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Great photos!   Awesome smiles on the ski trip!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Today’s care list:

Roy recovering from pneumonia

Dailyites in the path of storms

Mamaofami with medical issues

Vict0riann’s DD and DH with health issues

StLouisCruiser’s DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Citizens of Ukraine/ New Zealand/Earthquake victims/E. Palestine & PA residents

From the rotation:

Summer slope’s kitty having problems

Jacqui recovering from elbow surgery

Cruising sister recovering from hand surgery

Scrapnana undergoing chemotherapy

Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)

Celebrations and Shout outs:

Richwmn, StLouisCruisers, Summer Slope, dfish, cat shepard for their commitment to the Fleet Report/Daily

Luvteaching’s DH’s hospital release!

Smitty34877’s DH’s good report

Lazey1 feeling better

Cruzin Terri’s tilers working at her house

Welcome home Mr. Boston!

Bon Voyage Suslor!

1 day for TAW1963 (Ruby Princess 3/5 to 3/12)

RMLincoln family cruise (Rotterdam to 3/8), SusieKIslandGirl (Noordam to 3/11), Cruisercl (NCL Bliss to 3/12), ottahand7 and Lindaler (Volendam to 3/18), Suslor (Zaandam to 3/18), Seasick Sailor and 57redbird (Koningsdam to 3/25), Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to 4/6), and Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty, Richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam to 5/12) at sea

Vanessa, thank you for the shout out today on the Celebration list.  Your name should be on there, too!  Much appreciation for what you do to help here on the Daily.  By the way, you can probably just put my DB on the rotation list because this is going to be a long, dragged out disease.  I'll let you know if anything new happens with him.  He's been looking into grants to reduce the cost of medication.

7 hours ago, TAW1963 said:

Good morning all and thanks to all of those who help to put up the daily fleet reports!  Prayers go to those who are in need and best wishes to all for a healthy and happy weekend.  

My DW and I are flying to Houston today and then staying in Galveston overnight.  We are then leaving on Sunday for, what will  be, our second cruise ever.  We will be on the Ruby Princess to the Western Caribbean.  We thought we would give Princess a try even though the rest of our scheduled cruises are on HAL.  We have a lovely aft-facing cabin and are looking forward to getting out of the snowy and cold weather here in Idaho.  

I hope you have a great cruise on Ruby Princess.  I've had wonderful cruises on 17 of their ships including a 49 day South America on the Ruby.  Try out the International Cafe on deck 5 in the Atrium.  Nice selection of complimentary food all day long.

6 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Very late today with no good reason, although I did not sleep terribly well last night.Thank you Rich, Sandi, Vanessa, Dixie, Debbie, Ann, and fellow posters for this great community.

An interesting collection of seemingly connected days.  Been to San Juan a number of times but I don't think ever on a BHB although I will try to have a San Juan Story a bit later.  I'll pass on the Chili.

Roy

Sorry to hear you didn't sleep too well last night.  I hope you have a better rest tonight.

6 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

@TAW1963 Bon Voyage!   ⛴️🍾

We are arriving in Manaus and will be leaving at 1 for a 4 hour river boat and 10 person motorized canoe trip to get deeper into the Amazon.   It was rainy here this morning but it appears to be clearing up.  

Thanks to all of our daily reports, drinks, recipes and wine reviews.  I am sure we all appreciate how you start our days off.  Prayers for all on our Care report and for the people of Ukraine.   

A few photos from yesterday. The crispy duck I was anticipating at dinner was not crispy.   It came with a big plate of noodles which I don't eat.   I asked for cheese and got 2 pieces that were tasty, John got the Gorgonzola and the one that smelled of goat to me. 

The river this morning, Jupiter and Venus last night, and animals from town yesterday. 

Have a wonderful Saturday. 

Nancy 

IMG_20230304_083715299_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230303_193946493_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230303_181757633.jpg

IMG_20230303_102328186_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230303_102404340_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230303_102336991_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230303_102340867_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230303_102618460_HDR.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

Thank you for the great photos of your visit to Boca da Valeria.  You can see that one boy on the left is even holding a gecko.  Who knew you could tame them?  I don't see the two children who accompanied me around in your photo.  You had quite a crowd!

6 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Good Saturday Morning Dailyites!  Computer says 62 and mostly sunny.  Actually it is sunny.

The weather here yesterday was really quite interesting.  Lots of rain, mid afternoon, sky almost black, saw the huge pines with the tops swirling, not just blowing.  Tornado warning at one point, and tornado watch until 8 last night, On top of the terrible weather, our neighbors water line broke yesterday.  Water pouring down her yard into the street.  No one was home, so DH called the county water folks, and they started digging, and then they turned off the water, right when that big thunderstorm happened, and there we were, no water, for most of the afternoon.  Time to fix dinner? No water.  I left work and we went out to find food.  And pick up my meds.

I did go outside last night around 11:15, and the sky was so clear, it was lovely.

Tonight is bbq crock pot baby back ribs, potato salad, deviled eggs.  No chili this week.  

I hope you are all doing well, that dreams are still coming true for you.  It's an F1 weekend, so you know when I am not working where I will be.

778560_921a_625x1000.jpg

ce32f94161e776a5d759f22da33e75fb.jpg

Annie, it's good news that you got through the storms unscathed, except for no water.  That leaking pipe didn't help the neighborhood while it was getting deluged with rainwater.  The wind was just howling here.  Very eerie.

6 hours ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Kitty has a soft mass tumor in her colon.  We are giving her high dosage prednisone orally to try and shrink it.  Thank you all for your thoughts.

Apple Highball cocktail:

Ingredients
2 dashes Bitters
1 part Ginger Ale
1 part Apple Cider, Hard
1 part Jim Beam Black®
Garnish with Lemon Wheel

Instructions
Build in order over ice in a tall highball glass. Garnish with lemon wheel.

Screenshot 2023-03-04 at 8.13.12 AM.png

Dixie, I hope the prednisone helps decrease the size of Kitty's soft mass.  I know you'll do everything you can to help her.

5 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!  

Originally we were supposed to get 6-10 inches of fluffy stuff, but it turned out to be maybe an inch.  It is already melting off the driveway.  I have a Zoom meeting this morning and then we are going to the butterfly exhibit at Dow Gardens.  We'll work in a visit with our adoptee, Ellamary.  And also to our favorite store, Peel and Pare, for coffee.  

I am honored to be part of such a great group here on the Daily.  @richwmn Rich, the originator, @StLouisCruisers for keeping it going in Rich's absence, @rafinmd Roy, who originated our care and celebration list, @JazzyV for taking over when Roy fell ill,  @summer slope Dixie, who gives us the recipe for the day's drink, @cat shepard, Ann, who reviews the wine of the day and let's us know how much it will set us back, @grapau27 Graham, who often gives us an explanation of what the daily celebration really means, @0106 Tina, who has stepped in to do the Meal of the Day when I couldn't, @kazu Jacqui, who has also stepped up to the plate to make sure you were fed while I was away, and all those who contribute to the Daily with news and tidbits.  We are all thankful that Dixie's kitty can be treated for the mass in the colon.  We all cheered when @luvteaching Karen's DH came home yesterday.  I heard the mass shouting of Hallelujah when @Cruzin Terri Terri's tilers showed up yesterday, although there was some communal grumbling when Wayfair did not show.  We are happy that @smitty34877 Terry's DH can treat his condition and we all hope for the best for Tana and salute Terry and family for their unconditional caregiving.  I know I could keep going, but all of you have come together to make this what it is.  Posting a daily recipe is a small thing.  @marshhawk Annie's stories of daily life have us all hooked.  And, we love the memes that so many of you post.  Thank you to all of you for making this the home we all have needed through the pandemic and beyond.

Chili sure sounds good to me.  I may save it for the next Farkle Friday.  Last night we had a favorite from childhood, chicken liver casserole.  It is kind of like a stroganoff with ground beef, chicken livers, mushrooms, sour cream, and noodles.  You saute the chicken livers in sherry and that gives it a great flavor.  

I think we all have a "best" chili ever recipe.  After all, that is why we keep making it!  If you have a favorite, feel free to post it!   I found three recipes that sound good and claim to be the best.  The first one claims to be just like Mom used to make.  https://www.thewholesomedish.com/the-best-classic-chili/

bestchili1.jpg.25917d229401844fac3c6205cdf175e0.jpg

I've never put corn in my chili, but it looked good in this one.  https://www.theseasonedmom.com/beef-chili-recipe/

bestchili2.thumb.jpg.ccbc577135f830a26f955b2633dfc080.jpg

When this one gave the direction to chop the vegetables, I held my breath.  Fortunately, none of them were carrots.  https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/classic-beef-chili.html

bestchili3.thumb.jpg.11310f376d1ee5142fa780c5fdec9e0d.jpg

I'm hoping this finds all of you doing well.  Healing thoughts and warm wishes to those who are ailing and cheers to those who are celebrating.  Wishing  you all a wonderful day.

Debbie, the chili photos look delicious.  The first one looks a lot like our recipe.  Thank you for your kind words to your "fellow reporters".  Well, I guess the big snows went south of you, because DS sent me a photo of his deck piled high with snow.  He said in total they had about 10 inches.  When I asked if he used the snowblower he said he hasn't started it in several years!  Wait, what??  I know I'd want to use the snowblower.  However, he said he went out halfway through and again at the end to shovel by hand.  He must use snow shoveling as another workout because he goes to his gym daily and has arm muscles that feel like rocks.  Here's the photo he took of the deck.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIlXOIvi_3cIFEeLYwV-ueWKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1677954206

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I have visited San Juan several times, mostly on Royal Caribbean out of Baltimore.  The most memorable one was in February 2013 as we had quite a snow storm the 16 or so hours before we boarded and there was even a snowman built on the pool deck:

snowman.jpg

The first 24 hours out of Baltimore was quite cold and blustery but I did some hanging out inside the ship and enjoyed the solarium and things eventually got more cruise like.  We had 2 or 3 sea days to our first port of San Juan, where we docked across the pier from the Eurodam.  I took a photo of the 2 ships together from the Citadel:

EUROENOS.jpg.312d51f83a0bdfb4b7e61cb15f0

While the Eurodam was somewhat taller than Enchantment the difference seemed pretty small and I am convinced that at least the Vistas could get into Baltimore and I wish they would.

That evening I had dinner in the steak house, Chops Grill.  I'll close this story with my blog parting shot that day:

"

I had planned on using the very successful Walk for Wishes as my parting shot until my experience in Chops. I was not trying to eavesdrop but the elderly couple at the next table was speaking quite loudly. The gentleman was complaining about most everything, the cold weather in Baltimore, the rough seas, how long it took to get to San Juan, being rushed in the dining room, the Eurodam had more balconies, and so on. They were behind me but I had to suppress my laughter (he might have been able to see my reflection in the window) when he said “Our third port of call is in the dirt poor country of Costa Rica”. He did keep telling his wife it was his fault for not checking the itinerary more closely before booking. That was the one thing I could agree with.

This was a bit of a moment of truth for me. I haven’t made it a secret that I prefer other cruise lines to Royal and in general I’d have preferred to be on the Eurodam. One of my mantras is “every cruise is different” and I’d decided that for this time and circumstance the Enchantment is where I wanted to be, and it’s been my best cruise of all on her. I would have preferred the Eurodam’s more dignified atmosphere, the better food, and even would have preferred a Walk for the Cure on a real wraparound Promenade Deck, but this was not the time. If I had not been on the Enchantment right now I’d probably never have another sailing with Captain Gus might never have experienced John Blair. I’d have preferred a warmer sailaway, but the snow on the deck was part of the adventure. If I had booked the Eurodam I’d have been a real white knuckle flyer, worried about problems getting to Ft. Lauderdale or missing the ship. That would have been an adventure as well but one that I’ve had before and don’t care to repeat. I come back to something Colonel Potter said on MASH, but I could easily have attributed it to Casey Stengel if I didn’t know better: “If you’re not where you are now, you’re nowhere”.

Roy

Thanks for your photos, Roy.  Sounds like quite the adventure leaving from a snowy Baltimore and heading to warmer places.  Interesting comments from the complainer that you overheard.  Sounds like the type of person you would not want to be seated with on any cruiseline. Thank goodness he was actually behind you instead.

5 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I wasn't sure about the Holy Experiment Day until I saw an explanation - it sounds like a good thing to try.  While I don't know any GI's, if there are any here among our Daily family, please know I'm sending cyber hugs to you today.  I enjoy listening to marching bands; to me they are a wonderful way to start a parade.

We had a beautiful sunny day yesterday - as we went outside, I said to DH:  "It's so nice going out and not having the air hurt your face."  Right now we're at -19C, but it should warm up to about -7C, so it will be nice with bright sunshine.  I know Sochi will enjoy sleeping in the sun; I sometimes think it would be nice to join her on the carpet . . .

@marshhawkI'm glad you were spared the wrath of the storm and stayed safe.  We were watching the news on an American channel that showed some buildings losing their roofs, trees falling, etc.  Very scary!

@summer slopesending gentle, healing hugs for your dear kitty.

We've been to San Juan several times - thanks @StLouisCruisersfor the photos; I love sailing in and seeing the fort, etc.  The last time we were there I made an interesting discovery (shopping, of course) - many people coming off the cruise ships head straight to Walgreens because it's basically at the end of the pier.  Well, if you walk another block down the street, there's a CVS store with the same things, but at lower prices.  We compared many things and were surprised at the difference.  

Not a lot happening here today, so I'll be able to continue working on my blankets.  The group is calling for the first batch to be in by March 30th, so I'll keep the needles clicking along until then.  There are a bunch of leftovers in the fridge, so instead of having today's menu suggestion, we're going to be having a smorgasbord of items that will help make room for new leftovers.  It'll be a fridge surprise at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for all who are in need, especially those who have dealt with storms.  Extra prayers for the people of Bakhmut.  We'll cheer on everyone with celebrations happening today.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Gerry, I am picturing you snuggled up next to Sochi on the carpet soaking up the sunlight.  Why not?

4 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Good morning,

I am back from Vegas and way behind on the Daily. I am sending hugs and well wishes to all that need it and will catch up later. 

I had a great time. I was born in the middle of 4 brothers.  The DB and DSIL I met in Vegas was such a god send when my DS died in August. I was in the middle of moving when he died and they came and finished packing me up and helped moved me.  It was good to see them under happier circumstances.  We cried we laughed and all felt better when we parted ways. 

My DS played drums and marched

6792C358-B278-497E-A76C-2B87E0DF2410.MOV 176.17 MB · 3 downloads  

and then taught  drum lines for DCI (Drum Corp International). You age out at 23 but he taught drum line for 5 more years. At his Celebration of life his snare drum line who had not played together for 21 years played and left an empty snare for him. It was a beautiful tribute. 

Thank you for sharing your story about your DS.  I'm glad you had such a good time in Vegas and welcome home!

4 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning. It’s a beautiful day with a forecasted high of 78 degrees and the howling winds have ceased. Another sleep in morning so definitely no sleeping problems here. Such a beautiful day we may drive down and enjoy a walk on the beach. The Gulf was really rough yesterday with the high winds.

Will try and catch the Eurodam sail away today to see how she looks with her new paint job.

I have been to San Juan three times on Hal cruises and my most memorable was my first Segway ride.

Have a great weekend and thanks to all that contribute to the Daily’s success.

Bruce

image.jpeg.fc259d26be78d51bd8cf930d60085bae.jpegimage.jpeg.08e0312d43fb1c3bd5aca65475a67aa3.jpegimage.jpeg.a68a2e1f551a490dcefab2eaf944d8d2.jpegimage.jpeg.0e6b998b873c103e4fd6169170712d05.jpeg

The memes today are so funny!  Thanks for the laugh.

3 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning to all. I am early this morning as I did not wake up at 3 .... solid night but a bit short as I was up and moving at 5:30. At least a longer solid sleep. Dogs and I walked early. Weather today should be sunny and warming.... probably into the mid-40's. A real heat wave after what we have been having. We have had an additional skier death and also a very sad death of a young ice climber up near Ouray. These deep snows are tempting lots of winter sports enthusiasts.

@summer slopeGlad to hear that kitty seems to be treatable.

I spent time and money yesterday at the vet with the dogs. Nothing serious. Bandit needed some vaccines and Monty has developed a patch of hair loss on his chest. Food allergy? Collar? who knows, but if this continues, I will have a bald chihuahua. Right now I am switching his collar  and harness types (using a rolled leather), taking them off more frequently so nothing is contacting his little hide for long, and I will probably try another food. He is not a picky eater. Also, salmon oil added to food. He is not scratching which is odd given the amount of hair loss. He does not wear his coat enough for that to be the problem.... or so I think. Vet thought some kind of contact allergy... but what? Bedding? The other dog? Me?

@ottahand7I really enjoyed the Amazon cruise when I did it. Would love to repeat.

My continued best wishes and strong positive thoughts to all. Off to make a run to the bank when it opens shortly and then out to local pet shop to look at various types of food, oil, and collars. And spend more $$,

Susan

I'm really sorry to hear of more deaths from people enjoying their winter sports.  This winter has been crazy.  When you mentioned Monty's hair loss I suddenly remembered one of Dr. Pol's shows.  The dog had a skin problem/loss of hair on its face below his mouth.  He couldn't figure out what would cause it so asked some of the younger vets there.  One said sometimes animals are allergic to their plastic water or food bowls, so they told the owner to switch to stainless steel.  Who would have thought?  I don't even own a dog or cat but watch so many animal/vet shows, it's not even funny.

2 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Good morning.  It was so pleasant reading posts today — many moving words and stories.

And a nice collection of days — no GI to hug, though.  We used to love watching the marching band at Disneyland.  We visited there often.  The drink and wine sound good. All the chili recipes sound delicious. My mom always used cans of “small red beans,” which I never see around anymore.

We sailed on the Golden Princess out of San Juan in 2004.  Maybe same route as @JazzyV.

@grapau27, thanks for sharing the story of the Durham miners. That’s great they still have the gala,

@TAW1963, enjoy your cruise.  We sail out of Galveston in October.  Would love to hear about your trip.

@smitty34877, the beach getaway to San Juan sounds wonderful.

@ottahand7, great photos.  I think all the dogs would make me nervous.  😬

@marshhawk, thank goodness you dodged tornadoes.  We were all thinking of you.

@summer slope, prayers for sweet kitty.

@GTVCRUISER, more great photos.  
@cat shepard, we’ve also had a remarkable view of the planets from here in San Diego after our rain. So beautiful,

@dfish, that’s great you have the nice gardens nearby.  Enjoy the butterfly exhibit.

@rafinmd, great story and love the quote.

@mamaofami, congratulations to your daughter.  Enjoy your visit with DGS.

@ger_77, when I read your posts I have to laugh at what we think is cold here in San Diego.

@Quartzsite Cruiser, thanks for adding the veggie chili recipe.

@cruising sister, wonderful photo and story about your DS.

@durangoscots, I hope you figure out Bandit’s trouble.  
@highscar, wow on the snow. Stay safe.

We are dog sitting DD’s pommie while they are in Park City, Utah.  We have another generation on skis.  Happy four-year-old.

FBADA704-24BD-4608-BCB5-29948B24DE66.jpeg.f8e7e19deacc04567b436a9355b782a8.jpeg

Wishing all a lovely Saturday.

Your four year old DGD is adorable!  Enjoy your dog sitting!

2 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning. Happy Saturday.

The tilers continue to work at our house, surprised that they are here on a Saturday, but not complaining.  The sooner they finish, the happier we will be.

The TV table was finally done at 6 pm last evening.  All I will say about this is that I will never buy another thing from Wayfair.  This caused more aggravation than I need in my life at this time. It was only at my unending persistence that i finally got someone here to do it—6 hours later than the original appointment.

Thank you to Sandi, Vanessa, Ann, Debbie and Dixie for all your contributions to keep this thread going.  I, for one, appreciate the dedication you all have to this thread.

Yesterday, in all my angst, I actually thought about all of the participants on this thread who are, or who have been, caregivers.  I prayed for all of you.  As I said, it is a labor of love.  Having been in this position myself, I know that there are times when it is challenging and tiring and you just want to hang it all up and let someone else do it.  But anyone who is or was a caregiver never regrets having been in that role.

I will be skipping the meal because it is too spicy.  Also take a pass on the wine and drink.

As I have said before, I have spent lots of time in San Juan and in the whole island of Puerto Rico.

Back in my younger days I studied in Ponce learning Spanish.  It paid off in my work.  I also spent time as the liaison for my office with the office in San Juan, having to make many business trips.  Have a number of friends there and always enjoy a stop there on a cruise ship.  Most of my photos are pre-digital, so I cannot post them.

Many happy days there.  

Prayers for all on the cares list.  Cheers for all celebrating and cruising.  

Hope everyone has a good day.  

Take care and stay safe.

God Bless

Terri

Terri great that the table is finally together but sorry to hear you had to go to so much trouble to get it done.  I feel guilty telling you we used Wayfair and had good results, but then again we didn't have them assemble.  Our items weren't as heavy as yours was.  At least the table is done, so I hope it fits in well with your decor.  Glad to hear the tilers are working away for you.

2 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Ski pictures from Vermont

DS,DDIL, and DGC's

11783.jpeg

Great photo of a beautiful family.

Carol @mamaofamiI don't know where your post went from my multi-quoting but I wanted to say I'm so happy to hear the cortisone shot worked so well for you.  I hope you enjoy your visit with your DGS.  But best of all congratulations to your DD Lori on her arguing for her client at the NYS Supreme Court.  I'm sure she did you proud!

Well I can see there are many more new posts since I started this reply post so I will go ahead and post it and continue on reading the Daily.  So far today I did my treadmill work, went to the gym to use the weight machines (not very busy today), had breakfast and shower, then did three loads of laundry and had lunch.  Meanwhile in my spare time I read CC and watch DVR recordings of some of my favorite shows recently recorded.  And it's only 2 pm!  Back later!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Checking in before I take advantage of a nice sunny day and do some yard work.  It's still in the 60s but warming up, and in the sun, the breeze should not make it too cool.

DH had the little telescope out last night, but did not get pictures of the planets.  He needs to use the big telescope for that, and we may put it out tonight, but no promises.

Welcome home, Lorraine.  I'm glad you, your DB, and DSIL had a good time in Las Vegas.  What a beautiful tribute to your DS from the snare drum line at his Celebration of Life.

RNB, I'm glad @0106 explained about multi quoting.  As you can see, I try to leave a space before and after my comments to set them apart.  As far as getting the blue bubble that I used in my earlier post today, that's not too hard when the blue bubble is cooperating.  You just use the @ sign and start typing the CC name you want to comment on.  A drop box will appear below your typing with a list of CC names.  Just click on the correct name, and the blue bubble will appear.

Terry, your welcome.

Vanessa, glad there was no major damage from the storm last night.

Susan, I'm sorry about the sad news about the skier and the ice climber.  I hope you solve the problem of Monty's hair loss. 

Terri, I'm glad the tilers are working hard to get your bathroom finished. I don't blame you for not wanting to deal with Wayfair anymore after the hassle yesterday.  Good that you finally got someone to assemble the table.

Bruce, why should RNB work when all that booze is there for the taking?  🤣

Lenda

Thanks QC. How did you learn that about posting. Is there a book titled “Cruise Critic Posting for Dummies” 😀

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

Good morning and thanks all!  Sorry to hear so many pets are not well, glad some have had some good news as well! 

I was going to respond to @RedneckBobbut didn’t want my number to come up!  But in all seriousness I too really appreciate those multiquotes or use of the blue bubbles, especially as I come later to the party.    
just add @ and start typing their CC name and it should load, sometimes I have to do it a couple of times.  It does take extra effort but then I am not monopolizing the thread. 

I’ll add my Jupiter and Venus photo, too.  Only a couple of more sunsets in paradise. 

114CD625-B1EC-4E5C-9399-006ECC087AF2.jpeg

AE61BFC6-6671-49DB-A2A8-25E6BF374B5B.jpeg

46DEA390-01EE-40F7-8774-0F5148901981.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 3

52 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Beautiful photo of your lovely family.  Nice when they get out to do something fun during the winter months instead of being stuck inside all the time.  We used to snowmobile and camp in our truck camper back in the 1970's.  The kids looked so cute in their snowmobile suits and helmets, just like your DGKids look skiing.  Happy days!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Went out and got the salmon oil which both dogs love. Hopefully it will help Monty. His coat is a bit dry but there is no skin flaking. Anyway it can't hurt. I had a sheltie years ago that was allergic to his plastic water dish as @StLouisCruiserssuggested. Once I switched to ceramic, he cleared right up. I use either metal or ceramic now. Monty has to have one that keeps him from bolting his food.....he must have been very hungry at some point in his life. If I don't see some improvement I will cut out all regular dog food and will start boiling him some chicken. When I got him from the shelter I was told he would eat only chicken which was not true. The people who had him had brought in the chicken they were feeding him which was a grocery store bought canned with very high sodium. That could not have been good for him.

FYI.... all but one of the skier/snowboarder/snowmobiler accidents here have occurred in either out of bounds or undeveloped areas. The ski areas themselves keep a pretty close eye on conditions and skiers. In the one case, no one is sure exactly what happened. The incident should not have been fatal. Anyway, a very good reason to use common sense and stick to regulated areas or pay attention to slopes and conditions. And wear a beacon and don't go alone. The snowmobiler who survived was lucky that his friends dug him out really fast.

Edited by durangoscots
  • Like 18

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Lenda

Lenda. Not sure I want to drink any water from our rivers these days! Especially those poor folks in Ohio. What a sad situation and I keep them in my prayers.

• Like 12

Good afternoon to all!

Had at least a foot of snow.  Hopefully our last big snowfall of the season.  Our little pup Penny is enjoying her first winter here in Canada but this was too much even for her!  We had to dig out a path for her.

Thanks to all the pics and memes that are posted,  always puts a smile on my face🙂

• Like 17

@TAW1963our second cruise ever was out of Galveston on a Western Caribbean. Really was a fantastic trip, hope you have fun  

@RedneckBob for years we would fish a specific Sockeye salmon run.  Every year was different, you had to have the right set up or nothingl  the problem was you would make a best guess, but by the time you got there, whatever was working was sold out for a hundred miles.  The last time we fished it, it was a set of 2 hooks, black hooks, no bait, nothing else. How those fish could even see thst at 4am was beyond me.

• Like 15

Good afternoon from cloudy SE Wisconsin.  Have never been to Puerto Rico, but I do enjoy marching bands.  I was in one during my grade school and HS years.  Had a good time then.  Our DGS is in his High School band, it's always fun to see them march during Football halftime!  I also enjoy our Wisconsin Badgers band, have seen them "live" a few times, and they are always fun to watch!  

I enjoy seeing all of the pictures here everyday, and also enjoy the recipe sharing!  Soon, people will be sharing their garden pictures.  Our tulip, daffodil and hyacinth bulbs are starting to peek out.  Saw a robin here the other day, maybe spring is on the way.  @ger_77

I'm glad we don't get your winter temps, and every time you mention the "Frozen Tundra," it makes me think of our Packers and Lambeau field, also known as the Frozen Tundra!  Just watched our DGD play basketball, now on to my next sewing project.  Have a great rest of the weekend, Karen

• Like 18
  • Haha 1

Good afternoon, Dailyites!  A much better day today, DH is feeling much better, after only 3 days on antibiotics.  We went out this morning and he bought a new suitcase!  (It is returnable for 30 days - we just have to see how the surgery goes.)   Interesting days today.  We don't eat chilli, but would enjoy the wine.  I have a steak out, and Pat has brought up a red for this evening.  We have been to SanJuan a couple of times.  I remember in my early 20's I wanted to go to a friend's (Protestant) wedding - I had to get a special dispensation from our priest, and he stressed that I was not to "participate".  So much for Holy Experiment!  How things have changed...

DD sent me some Canadian humour

7E6635DF6E8A410A9F805902DF035CFD.png.0c6dc2a8e3c989c04725fdc8cd00187f.png

image022.jpg.6e846a50c8e7788a91117f8b30cf972a.jpg

image025.jpg.e70b1493fc0f284c9d4aeaa61e189951.jpg

image027.jpg.8a9a9c7271c561cbcd10ecb1b3e15be3.jpg

image039.jpg.0f5a08c51e7f781b567bc4413a12a11e.jpg

• Like 16
  • Haha 11

Well we had an interesting day yesterday. In the morning we drove out to  my father’s place so my DSIL could visit with him and we made it back before the snow started. We got rain, thunder, lightning and about 3 inches of snow , enough to make a mess of the roads. My daughter was in Romulus (Detroit airport) to pick up our son in law coming in from Los Angeles. Dtw had lots of snow and ice and when the flight was low on fuel and still couldn’t land it was diverted to Milwaukee which diDn’t have much snow. By the time they refuelled dtw was shut down so he and others spent the night in Milwaukee. Crazy time getting ways this morning since 75 flights had been diverted from dtw. Roads are clear and dry this morning but snow is still around. Crazy times!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

Good afternoon.  Slept okay until about 4:30am so started reading the Daily and other stuff until 7:15, fell asleep until 9:15.  Disjointed but okay.  Our weather is starting to turn and become more seasonal.  Thank goodness.

I like all the days.  I was in band for a few years as a teen and since it was a small town in Colorado that also made you a member of marching band.  I loved marching band much more than just band.  The chili sounds good and my favorite recipe is from the Crock pot cookbook I got as a wedding gift.  It uses pinto beans, which I prefer over kidney beans.

We have been to San Juan several times and our favorite was when we did a round trip cruise from there.  I loved the hotel we stayed at, it had an open ceiling in the lobby, much like one we stayed in Hawaii.  I don't have pictures, this was pre cell phone.

I spent most of yesterday planning cruise stuff for April and May.  I sure hope I like being in an inside cabin for 25 days.  I don't think I'll mind because I like it really dark when I sleep.

Have a great day!

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 18

7 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Our younger DD and her SO are vegetarians, and this is the chili recipe she makes.  While I haven't made it, she says it very good.  The recipe came from Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home .  I thought @smitty34877Terry and others who cook for vegetarians might like to see this recipe.

RED, GOLD, BLACK, AND GREEN CHILI

½ c bulgur

½ c hot water

3 c undrained canned tomatoes (28-oz can)

3 T olive oil

3 c chopped onions

3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed

1 t ground cumin

1 t chili powder

¼ t cayenne

2 green bell peppers, chopped

2 c fresh or frozen cut corn

1½ c drained cooked black beans (14 oz can)

1½ c drained kidney beans (14 oz can)

salt to taste

grated cheddar or Jack cheese

Place the bulgur, hot water, and about a cup of the juice from the canned tomatoes in a small saucepan, cover and bring to a boil on high heat, then lower the heat and simmer gently.

While the bulgur cooks, heat the olive oil in a large saucepan.  Sauté the onions, garlic, cumin, chili powder, and cayenne.  When the onions are soft, stir in the bell peppers and sauté for 2 or 3 minutes more.  Chop the tomatoes right in the can and add them to the pan.  Stir in the corn and beans, and heat thoroughly on low heat.  Taste the bulgur.  When it is cooked but still chewy, add it to the pan with its liquid.  Cover and simmer for a few minutes for the flavors to meld.  Add salt to taste.  Serve with grated cheese. 

Thank you so much for sharing this!

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I laughed out loud at that one.   

@StLouisCruisers Yes, the snow went south.  We were quite thankful.

Our visit to Dow Gardens and the butterfly exhibit was delightful.  I'm glad we got the annual membership last week when we did the canopy walk.  We've already gotten our money's worth out of it.  We decided that we are going to take advantage of as many activities and programs offered as we can.  We don't want to just be sitting home in our recliners, not that we have recliners.  We also got in a visit with Ellamary.  She is proudly Irish so we took her a shamrock plant.  She was thrilled and excited when we explained that we were adopting her.  

IMG_2144.thumb.jpg.ba5a998ed0ce81427991d50a341fc241.jpg

IMG_2146.thumb.jpg.6b5f815f9dd05435bf3b0fba86af8c97.jpg

IMG_2147.thumb.jpg.a219c4dd5caa64001cd8a1b00ad1c126.jpg

IMG_2148.thumb.jpg.3c7e92da3d0208e5963bee975e483bc1.jpg

IMG_2149.thumb.jpg.a1ce6158d75d9907e0b9455d53f7b8a6.jpg

IMG_2150.thumb.jpg.2231836d030f0ddcd1ee85a88b1a1886.jpg

IMG_2151.thumb.jpg.1fbe37fb1876fb9fce6e44adcbdc58f6.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, lobsternight said:

@TAW1963our second cruise ever was out of Galveston on a Western Caribbean. Really was a fantastic trip, hope you have fun  

@RedneckBob for years we would fish a specific Sockeye salmon run.  Every year was different, you had to have the right set up or nothingl  the problem was you would make a best guess, but by the time you got there, whatever was working was sold out for a hundred miles.  The last time we fished it, it was a set of 2 hooks, black hooks, no bait, nothing else. How those fish could even see thst at 4am was beyond me.

Thanks @lobsternight!  What a coincidence that our second cruises were the same port and destination.   We just landed in Houston and are excited to get aboard tomorrow.   

• Like 13

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Vanessa, thank you for the shout out today on the Celebration list.  Your name should be on there, too!  Much appreciation for what you do to help here on the Daily.  By the way, you can probably just put my DB on the rotation list because this is going to be a long, dragged out disease.  I'll let you know if anything new happens with him.  He's been looking into grants to reduce the cost of medication.

I hope you have a great cruise on Ruby Princess.  I've had wonderful cruises on 17 of their ships including a 49 day South America on the Ruby.  Try out the International Cafe on deck 5 in the Atrium.  Nice selection of complimentary food all day long.

Sorry to hear you didn't sleep too well last night.  I hope you have a better rest tonight.

Thank you for the great photos of your visit to Boca da Valeria.  You can see that one boy on the left is even holding a gecko.  Who knew you could tame them?  I don't see the two children who accompanied me around in your photo.  You had quite a crowd!

Annie, it's good news that you got through the storms unscathed, except for no water.  That leaking pipe didn't help the neighborhood while it was getting deluged with rainwater.  The wind was just howling here.  Very eerie.

Dixie, I hope the prednisone helps decrease the size of Kitty's soft mass.  I know you'll do everything you can to help her.

Debbie, the chili photos look delicious.  The first one looks a lot like our recipe.  Thank you for your kind words to your "fellow reporters".  Well, I guess the big snows went south of you, because DS sent me a photo of his deck piled high with snow.  He said in total they had about 10 inches.  When I asked if he used the snowblower he said he hasn't started it in several years!  Wait, what??  I know I'd want to use the snowblower.  However, he said he went out halfway through and again at the end to shovel by hand.  He must use snow shoveling as another workout because he goes to his gym daily and has arm muscles that feel like rocks.  Here's the photo he took of the deck.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIlXOIvi_3cIFEeLYwV-ueWKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1677954206

Thanks for your photos, Roy.  Sounds like quite the adventure leaving from a snowy Baltimore and heading to warmer places.  Interesting comments from the complainer that you overheard.  Sounds like the type of person you would not want to be seated with on any cruiseline. Thank goodness he was actually behind you instead.

Gerry, I am picturing you snuggled up next to Sochi on the carpet soaking up the sunlight.  Why not?

Thank you for sharing your story about your DS.  I'm glad you had such a good time in Vegas and welcome home!

The memes today are so funny!  Thanks for the laugh.

I'm really sorry to hear of more deaths from people enjoying their winter sports.  This winter has been crazy.  When you mentioned Monty's hair loss I suddenly remembered one of Dr. Pol's shows.  The dog had a skin problem/loss of hair on its face below his mouth.  He couldn't figure out what would cause it so asked some of the younger vets there.  One said sometimes animals are allergic to their plastic water or food bowls, so they told the owner to switch to stainless steel.  Who would have thought?  I don't even own a dog or cat but watch so many animal/vet shows, it's not even funny.

Your four year old DGD is adorable!  Enjoy your dog sitting!

Terri great that the table is finally together but sorry to hear you had to go to so much trouble to get it done.  I feel guilty telling you we used Wayfair and had good results, but then again we didn't have them assemble.  Our items weren't as heavy as yours was.  At least the table is done, so I hope it fits in well with your decor.  Glad to hear the tilers are working away for you.

Great photo of a beautiful family.

Carol @mamaofamiI don't know where your post went from my multi-quoting but I wanted to say I'm so happy to hear the cortisone shot worked so well for you.  I hope you enjoy your visit with your DGS.  But best of all congratulations to your DD Lori on her arguing for her client at the NYS Supreme Court.  I'm sure she did you proud!

Well I can see there are many more new posts since I started this reply post so I will go ahead and post it and continue on reading the Daily.  So far today I did my treadmill work, went to the gym to use the weight machines (not very busy today), had breakfast and shower, then did three loads of laundry and had lunch.  Meanwhile in my spare time I read CC and watch DVR recordings of some of my favorite shows recently recorded.  And it's only 2 pm!  Back later!

Thanks so much @StLouisCruisers!   

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, superoma said:

Well we had an interesting day yesterday. In the morning we drove out to  my father’s place so my DSIL could visit with him and we made it back before the snow started. We got rain, thunder, lightning and about 3 inches of snow , enough to make a mess of the roads. My daughter was in Romulus (Detroit airport) to pick up our son in law coming in from Los Angeles. Dtw had lots of snow and ice and when the flight was low on fuel and still couldn’t land it was diverted to Milwaukee which diDn’t have much snow. By the time they refuelled dtw was shut down so he and others spent the night in Milwaukee. Crazy time getting ways this morning since 75 flights had been diverted from dtw. Roads are clear and dry this morning but snow is still around. Crazy times!

The snow was really coming down heavy last night.  I'm glad DS and DDIL flew home Thursday night from Cancun instead of Friday night or they would have been caught up in that mess with all the diverted flights.  I hope your DSIL made it home today okay.  That's a lot of people to reschedule.

17 minutes ago, dfish said:

@StLouisCruisers Yes, the snow went south.  We were quite thankful.

Our visit to Dow Gardens and the butterfly exhibit was delightful.  I'm glad we got the annual membership last week when we did the canopy walk.  We've already gotten our money's worth out of it.  We decided that we are going to take advantage of as many activities and programs offered as we can.  We don't want to just be sitting home in our recliners, not that we have recliners.  We also got in a visit with Ellamary.  She is proudly Irish so we took her a shamrock plant.  She was thrilled and excited when we explained that we were adopting her.  

IMG_2144.thumb.jpg.ba5a998ed0ce81427991d50a341fc241.jpg

IMG_2146.thumb.jpg.6b5f815f9dd05435bf3b0fba86af8c97.jpg

IMG_2147.thumb.jpg.a219c4dd5caa64001cd8a1b00ad1c126.jpg

IMG_2148.thumb.jpg.3c7e92da3d0208e5963bee975e483bc1.jpg

IMG_2149.thumb.jpg.a1ce6158d75d9907e0b9455d53f7b8a6.jpg

IMG_2150.thumb.jpg.2231836d030f0ddcd1ee85a88b1a1886.jpg

IMG_2151.thumb.jpg.1fbe37fb1876fb9fce6e44adcbdc58f6.jpg

Thanks for your butterfly photos.  I've been to a place called Butterfly House in the St. Louis suburbs before and it was fun watching people experience it.  Some people acted frightened when a butterfly landed on them which surprised me.  They don't hurt you, bite you or sting you so why be afraid?  🦋

I forgot to tell you when I found out about the snow in A squared (our pet name for Ann Arbor), I asked DS if they had any plans this weekend and he recited their early morning gym visit, soccer events in town, etc.  I quote him here "we don't fear snow!"  Guess not.  Not only was he born in that state, he went to undergraduate school there and moved back to teach for the last 22 plus years. Some people just aren't built for cold, snowy climates.  ❄️

• Like 15