Prepay Gratuities?

Hi - our cruise agent told us that we can prepay the gratuities if we want before the cruise on the Royal app.

However I can't find that option?

Also is there any reason to do this - e.g. do you get a discount for paying before the cruise?  Otherwise I don't see much point in prepay.

2 minutes ago, Javert1969 said:

Hi - our cruise agent told us that we can prepay the gratuities if we want before the cruise on the Royal app.

However I can't find that option?

Also is there any reason to do this - e.g. do you get a discount for paying before the cruise?  Otherwise I don't see much point in prepay.

No advantage other than not having a cc bill to pay t the end of the cruise

• Like 2

Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

No advantage other than not having a cc bill to pay t the end of the cruise

I suppose if the grats are prepaid and the daily rate goes up $1 pppd, one could claim a substantial savings!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Javert1969 said:

You're correct, there is no point in prepaying gratuities

• Like 1

I prepay and have since my very first cruise. It’s just added into your cruise price so it’s not really hanging onto your money has some say. I don’t want any bill at the end of the cruise. 

• Like 4

Not sure what the interest might come to on the amount of the gratuities for 90 days.  I always say I don’t pay for anything before I have to but this is an exception for me.  It’s just part of the cruise fare.

• Like 2

I always pre-pay.  Reasons to do so: 

- I like to take care of all my necessities in one fell swoop.  No need to think about tips onboard.  I can't forget or come up with too little cash in my wallet.  It's just easier for me (and easier for the crew).  

- I pay with my RC credit card, so by paying tips ahead of time I earn points, which can turn into OBC.  By paying ahead of time, this OBC might be available for this cruise.  

- In reality, the money I'm "losing" by not keeping my money in my savings account is negligible ... like less than a dollar.  

Yes, as others have said, if you're already booked, you'll need to make a phone call to add tips to your account.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 5

If you pre pay you cannot remove them. Otherwise, if for any reason you choose to remove gratuities for any reason, just go to guest services or call guest services from your cabin and you can have them removed. Maybe your unhappy with the service, maybe you prefer to tip in cash, maybe you just don't like tipping. Pre paying will take that option away.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, BennyandBo said:

If you pre pay you cannot remove them. Otherwise, if for any reason you choose to remove gratuities for any reason, just go to guest services or call guest services from your cabin and you can have them removed. Maybe your unhappy with the service, maybe you prefer to tip in cash, maybe you just don't like tipping. Pre paying will take that option away.

I can’t imagine removing gratitudes 

• Like 10

When you prepay, that’s when it gets paid, with final payment at 90 days. It’s not like you pay it when you add it.  It doesn’t change the initial deposit.  So $320ish for 90 days.  What’s the savings?

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, BennyandBo said:

With the poor quality service people have been complaining about the past few months, it's wise to keep it open as an option. And many many do.

Will have to disagree, if service isn’t up to normal quality we will limit the extra tips that we always give to room steward, waiters , bar tenders etc 

• Like 2