Silly Prices

Hector2659

14 minutes ago, Hector2659 said:

Who thinks this is the end of cruises for first time cruisers

2024 basic entry prices are beyond  most even looking never mind booking

No they’re not.

Compare the bottom line pricing of a cruise compared to the equivalent land vacation with all the expenses (including transportation, lodging, meals, tours et al.) you’d incur.

Cruising remains a relative bargain.

And, interestingly enough, if any cruise industry segment would suffer the most because of a huge exodus of those whose perception is they can no longer afford it, it would be the mass market lines whose basic cabin prices remain the lowest. 

That said, folks who can afford premium and luxury lines, including those mass market veterans who’ve done the math and have figured out that mostly/all inclusive pricing  found in the premium/luxury ranks makes for a truly value laden experience, are booking more cruises than ever.

The worst that could come from your concern would be a long overdue rightsizing of an industry that has grown unfettered for too many years. 

• Like 2

I haven't cruised much, but I don't mind the prices. Hotels are expensive these days, airfare is expensive, restaurants are expensive, rental cars are expensive. Everything has gone up, so for cruises to have gone up seems fair, too. Paying $4,000 to $5,000 for a cabin for four people seems reasonable for a week-long vacation for my family. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Cruising remains a relative bargain.

Even once you add gratuities, it's definitely still a bargain. You can go on a cruise, walk around the ports on your own and add 0 to your overall tab by the end of the journey (if you so choose) and come out way ahead of where you might if you went on a land-based vacation. Cruising has food, entertainment, relaxation, etc. built in to the cost. It's a steal.

Edited by notscb
clarity
  • Like 1

On 4/21/2023 at 4:37 PM, Hector2659 said:

Judging by the high occupancy rates on cruises this year, I'd say you are in the minority on this.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Supply and Demand.

IMHO, most cruises are a good (reasonable) deal, especially at a entry level stateroom veranda.

Agreed.  We may have been spoiled by low prices during the restart but in truth, today's prices are not bad considering what you get.  

• Like 1

If you shop and are free to cruise whenever you want, the prices are not that bad.  Sure, if you want a Balcony in mid-summer you are going to pay premium for it.  On the other hand, an inside cabin in late fall or early winter can be had for $50 a night or less. 

It is the same for extras like dining.  You can spend $100-$200 to dine in one of the fancy steak house or save your money and hit the MDR.  Your choice.

• Like 1

Coming from a lifelong Disney AP passholder. In terms of pricing, this first cruise of ours in May is like shopping at Wal-Mart compared to Whole Foods. We originally planned on going back to Hawaii with our kids this Summer as the wife and I took a solo trip last year and fell in love with Hawaii. Price wise, the cruise was cheaper than just the flights alone to Hawaii.

While my family and I still adore Disney and had initially considered a Disney cruise, we have opted for a change of pace and are trying out MSC instead. As my sons have grown older, 12 and 15, their interests have evolved and they are eager to explore new destinations. This will also be their first time on a plane, as we have traditionally taken road trips for all of our vacations. 

While my experience may be unique, I anticipate that this cruise will be excellent, and at such a reasonable cost, it is hard to imagine any other family vacation comparing for the 4 of us.

On 4/21/2023 at 4:37 PM, Hector2659 said:

If those “first time cruisers” did some intelligent price comparisons with alternative vacation options, they would recognize the cruise bargains available. That “sticker shock”- inducing price they see pretty much says it all - to compare with a land vacation,  they would have to keep track of room costs, entertainment expenses, all meals, as well as incidental local travel, to make any valid comparison.  The sad fact is, with inflation now firmly entrenched, the cost of everything is going up - and the casual window-shopper is likely to be thinking about what he paid three or four years ago fof his travel vacation.  Inflation alone is likely to make today’s activity 25%to 30%  higher than something comparable back in 2020.

Live with reality! 

I don't know, we've been able to find some decent prices. Next April on Mardi Gras for $2100 for a mid-ship balcony. Not really that much more than our first balcony in 2012 (which I recall being in the $1600 range). We booked a Celebrity cruise for February 2025 for $3600 for a mid-ship balcony. While we book our cruises well in advance I've also looked at prices for cruises leaving in under 90 days and definitely some deals to be found there if one is flexible. Cruising still seems to provide a lot of value for the vacation dollar compared to land based vacations.

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I don't know, we've been able to find some decent prices. Next April on Mardi Gras for $2100 for a mid-ship balcony. Not really that much more than our first balcony in 2012 (which I recall being in the $1600 range). We booked a Celebrity cruise for February 2025 for $3600 for a mid-ship balcony. While we book our cruises well in advance I've also looked at prices for cruises leaving in under 90 days and definitely some deals to be found there if one is flexible. Cruising still seems to provide a lot of value for the vacation dollar compared to land based vacations.

While I know from your past posts that you’ve not often considered premium lines, you may want to look at Oceania ASAP. There is a limited time “extraordinary savings” sale with price drops on MANY of the remaining 2023 cruises that still have cabin availability. Some of the temporary price drops are 40%+\- as O is intent on a full return to normal before the end of this year. But, you’d have to move very quickly as this “best I’ve ever seen” O sale has also caused many with existing bookings to rebook and the cabin availability is quickly disappearing. I recently did a rebook for the sale and it was worth a $3k price adjust on a 3 week cruise.

BTW, if you’re not on their mailing list, which would’ve gotten you a brochure with the huge savings prices, you’ll have to call O or your TA to get the sale prices. No gimmicks here. Rather, it’s the “real deal.” But, be prepared to be on hold for quite some time when you call O.

50 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

While I know from your past posts that you’ve not often considered premium lines, you may want to look at Oceania ASAP. There is a limited time “extraordinary savings” sale with price drops on MANY of the remaining 2023 cruises that still have cabin availability. Some of the temporary price drops are 40%+\- as O is intent on a full return to normal before the end of this year. But, you’d have to move very quickly as this “best I’ve ever seen” O sale has also caused many with existing bookings to rebook and the cabin availability is quickly disappearing. I recently did a rebook for the sale and it was worth a $3k price adjust on a 3 week cruise.

BTW, if you’re not on their mailing list, which would’ve gotten you a brochure with the huge savings prices, you’ll have to call O or your TA to get the sale prices. No gimmicks here. Rather, it’s the “real deal.” But, be prepared to be on hold for quite some time when you call O.

Appreciate the tip, but we're booked up with the two we've already booked. We'll keep them in mind for 2026 and beyond.

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Those prices looked pretty decent compared to normal fares.  The dates for some European departures were just a few weeks off for us.  

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

Appreciate the tip, but we're booked up with the two we've already booked. We'll keep them in mind for 2026 and beyond.

I only mentioned it because it truly is the best sale I’ve seen in a decade (and I doubt we will see it again for a very long time).

Enjoy your cruises.

• Like 1

We normally take a city break over New Year.  For 22/23 we were looking at 5 days in Prague. Our TA emailed us with an offer for 7 nights onboard MSC Virtuosa,  including  the premium drinks package.

The price for that was less than our quote for flights and hotel ( no meals or drinks) for 5 nights in Prague.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am assuming, from the OP's post, that they are working with a very tight budget.  Yes, cruising has become more expensive (as has just about everything) but there are still some bargains that might interest a first time cruiser.  The OP should take a look at MSC, who has some cruises out of Miami and Port Canaveral.  MSC does an excellent job offering cruises at various price points.  One can cruise quite cheaply if they book an inside cabin at a lesser "experience."   If you are willing to give-up some of the perks that go with higher price points, you can cruise....pretty cheap.  

All cruisers had to start somewhere and many of us did start with lower cost 3-4 day itineraries in low cost cabins.  For us, it was back in the 70s on NCLs Sunward II.  Our first cruise was 4 days (to the Bahamas) and now, more than 50 years later, that first cruise still makes me smile.

Hank

On 4/21/2023 at 3:37 PM, Hector2659 said:

I booked 3 since you posted this, though not a first time cruiser. Why would just first time cruisers be put off by higher and higher prices. They dont remember pre covid when you could book for $100 a day. I'd say more not less first timers because they dont remember what cruises cost pre covid.

I'm still booking. Dont like new prices but still booking. 

We took my daughter, SIL and GS on a 7 night Caribbean cruise pre covid.  He is the manager of a very nice restaurant in a resort area.  I asked him about half way through if he could do what the cruise did of that price and he said 'no way' what with the 4 tuxed waiters waiting on us, unlimited quality food, entertainment, lodging and 'inter-city' transfers.  We paid about $2,500 for the three of them for a week or $120 each per day.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2023 at 11:46 AM, NickG420 said:

Coming from a lifelong Disney AP passholder. In terms of pricing, this first cruise of ours in May is like shopping at Wal-Mart compared to Whole Foods. We originally planned on going back to Hawaii with our kids this Summer as the wife and I took a solo trip last year and fell in love with Hawaii. Price wise, the cruise was cheaper than just the flights alone to Hawaii.

While my family and I still adore Disney and had initially considered a Disney cruise, we have opted for a change of pace and are trying out MSC instead. As my sons have grown older, 12 and 15, their interests have evolved and they are eager to explore new destinations. This will also be their first time on a plane, as we have traditionally taken road trips for all of our vacations. 

While my experience may be unique, I anticipate that this cruise will be excellent, and at such a reasonable cost, it is hard to imagine any other family vacation comparing for the 4 of us.

I have two cruises booked, an 7 day and an 8 day that are 2/3rds the price of my Oct 8 night stay at POP Century for room alone.  I Disney and cruise solo.  I don't know how a family of four swings Disney anymore.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

I have two cruises booked, an 7 day and an 8 day that are 2/3rds the price of my Oct 8 night stay at POP Century for room alone.  I Disney and cruise solo.  I don't know how a family of four swings Disney anymore.  

It's rather amusing how this topic has resurfaced. Just last week, I had a discussion with my wife about the possibility of getting Disney Annual Passes again. We crunched the numbers, and to our surprise, the cost would have been nearly equivalent to what we paid for the cruise alone. Mind you, this was with us taking advantage of the Florida Resident rate, as we have a second home in FL. When you factor in that the pass only grants you entry, and you still have to pay for accommodations, meals, souvenirs, and now even additional services like Genie or Lightning Lane, it becomes clear that the value proposition of Disney has significantly diminished.

I find myself aligned with your perspective, as do many of my Disney enthusiast friends. The planning, time investment, and financial commitment required for a Disney visit have reached a point where the experience is no longer worth it. And let's not forget the perpetual crowds. Every time I come across a new Disney live blog or watch recent park videos, I'm astounded by the overwhelming throngs of visitors. Just last night, someone shared that the wait time for Rise of Resistance was a staggering 345 minutes!

In stark contrast, our May cruise aboard Seascape provided an entirely different experience. We never felt crowded or rushed, and there were no significant wait times for anything, not even at the bars for drinks. It was a truly laid-back and relaxing voyage, precisely what I had envisioned for a cruise experience. I understand that such a leisurely pace may not suit everyone's preferences, but for our family, it was perfect. In fact, we're already exploring other cruise options, including potential European destinations that we may book for later this year.

5 hours ago, NickG420 said:

It's rather amusing how this topic has resurfaced. Just last week, I had a discussion with my wife about the possibility of getting Disney Annual Passes again. We crunched the numbers, and to our surprise, the cost would have been nearly equivalent to what we paid for the cruise alone. Mind you, this was with us taking advantage of the Florida Resident rate, as we have a second home in FL. When you factor in that the pass only grants you entry, and you still have to pay for accommodations, meals, souvenirs, and now even additional services like Genie or Lightning Lane, it becomes clear that the value proposition of Disney has significantly diminished.

I find myself aligned with your perspective, as do many of my Disney enthusiast friends. The planning, time investment, and financial commitment required for a Disney visit have reached a point where the experience is no longer worth it. And let's not forget the perpetual crowds. Every time I come across a new Disney live blog or watch recent park videos, I'm astounded by the overwhelming throngs of visitors. Just last night, someone shared that the wait time for Rise of Resistance was a staggering 345 minutes!

In stark contrast, our May cruise aboard Seascape provided an entirely different experience. We never felt crowded or rushed, and there were no significant wait times for anything, not even at the bars for drinks. It was a truly laid-back and relaxing voyage, precisely what I had envisioned for a cruise experience. I understand that such a leisurely pace may not suit everyone's preferences, but for our family, it was perfect. In fact, we're already exploring other cruise options, including potential European destinations that we may book for later this year.

When I retire, I am going to take cruises to recover from my WDW vacations. 

• 4 weeks later...

I started cruising just last year when amazing deals were to be had. With the pricing as it is now I am less likely to cruise all inclusive next time I book. As a solo cruiser my ideal destinations have gotten really expensive with the supplement which is not fun. So I am broadening my horizons and considering other destinations for future cruises. I thought Celebrity was my line but am trying RC in 2025 (big family trip) and will probably try a solo on NCL in 2024 if I find a good last minute deal. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/21/2023 at 2:37 PM, Hector2659 said:

I've been saying the same thing about the RV industry...prices are insane, value is non-existent, and yet they keep selling just fine.  🤷