No Buffet Seating

WestCoast505

On a recent Celebrity cruise we found that it was impossible to get a seat in the buffet at lunch time unless you arrived 30 minutes before it opened.   There were signs on every table asking guests to leave once they have finished eating their meal, but we found some people just ignored.    Is this common on other cruise lines?  We've only done 2 cruises and this is the first time encountering this problem. The food overall was good in both the buffet, MDR, and specialty restaurants.  The lunch in the MDR was good, but we also liked the variety of food choices in the buffet for lunch and were frustrated we couldn't eat there at noon without having to plan ahead.  On a Norwegian cruise we saw the buffet use a specialty restaurant as overflow seating at lunch time.   Celebrity didn't do this as the buffet was at the other end of the ship to the restaurants.

1 minute ago, WestCoast505 said:

On a recent Celebrity cruise we found that it was impossible to get a seat in the buffet at lunch time unless you arrived 30 minutes before it opened.   There were signs on every table asking guests to leave once they have finished eating their meal, but we found some people just ignored.    Is this common on other cruise lines?  We've only done 2 cruises and this is the first time encountering this problem. The food overall was good in both the buffet, MDR, and specialty restaurants.  The lunch in the MDR was good, but we also liked the variety of food choices in the buffet for lunch and were frustrated we couldn't eat there at noon without having to plan ahead.  On a Norwegian cruise we saw the buffet use a specialty restaurant as overflow seating at lunch time.   Celebrity didn't do this as the buffet was at the other end of the ship to the restaurants.

I have never seen signs on tables on Carnival like that.  

13 minutes ago, WestCoast505 said:

We are on QM2 with Cunard part of Carnival and never saw signs of such,

At meal times and embarkation and meals before going a shore for tours can be challenging but there is plenty of seat on the ship to sit.

Sorry for your touble.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WestCoast505 said:

This must have been really annoying. The buffet is our preferred dining venue for many reasons.   We don't like crowds and we don't stand in lines unless unavoidable, like boarding.  We manage our time on a ship by personal observation and experience, and we just figure out our 'schedule' based on when everyone else has 'gone home'.  If the ship docks at 8am, we plan on departing our cabin at 930 after a nice room service breakfast.  If the ship sails at 5pm, we reboard at 330.  It's just a philosophical difference that makes our cruises always enjoyable.

• Like 7

I just got off a Celebrity ship 6/11 and those signs were on the tables in the buffet.  But I try not to be in the buffet during peak times.  Since I was solo, I often chose a stool at the high counters by the windows.  EM

• Like 2

If the buffet is really crowded and there are 1 or 2 people at a larger table I will ask if they mind sharing.  Most people do not mind.  I will add that I have met some interesting people sharing a buffet table.

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 13

7 hours ago, WestCoast505 said:

Several things to comment on:

1. Welcome to Cruise Critic!
  2. I've never seen signs like this at any buffet table I've dined at on Celebrity, Carnival, or any other cruise line I've used
  3. I rarely dine at the buffet for lunch
  4. I have seen the buffet so busy that it was difficult to find a seat. This was mostly on port days for breakfast. Sometimes it takes a couple of trips around the trough, but thankfully I've always been able to find a seat.
  5. Depending on the ship, Celebrity may have other options for lunch
  6. I hope this hiccup doesn't dissuade you from cruising in the future
  • Like 2

Although I have never seen a sign like that on over 100 cruises, I have seen a seating shortage on some ships on occasion. 

At times bad shore tours, weather , card games , readers and those reserving table before selecting their food can take tables out of rotation?

I've had this problem on Holland America.  People "park" themselves at a table,  especially families and groups sailing together.  They chit-chat,  play cards and board games, etc. 

I usually sail solo, and I  sometimes get the stink eye when I ask to share a table.  

We have cruised on over 65 different ships (of 16 cruise lines) and the problem with a shortage of Lido seating is an issue on nearly all the so-called mass market lines.  It becomes acute during sea days because there are many cruisers who simply sit in the Lido most of the day and use the tables to play games, socialize, etc.  As the OP mentioned, some cruise lines have tried to deal with this by putting small signs on the tables.  A few lines handle it by simply closing the Lido a few hours a day.  But on most lines, the staff are reluctant to ask folks to leave, so the problem persists.

Hank

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MCC retired said:

...and those reserving table before selecting their food can take tables out of rotation?

Of course if there is a shortage of empty tables, it is essential to secure a table BEFORE selecting your food -- otherwise you can be standing around holding a tray full of food waiting for an opening.  It used to work to leave a book on the table and tip the chair to reserve it while you select your food, but recently others have just taken the table -- so if you are with someone, one of you needs to guard the table while the other picks food.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Of course if there is a shortage of empty tables, it is essential to secure a table BEFORE selecting your food -- otherwise you can be standing around holding a tray full of food waiting for an opening.  It used to work to leave a book on the table and tip the chair to reserve it while you select your food, but recently others have just taken the table -- so if you are with someone, one of you needs to guard the table while the other picks food.

A common practice we too use. Grab where can and hold on to it.

Thank you

2 hours ago, Roz said:

play cards and board games, etc.

I usually sail solo, and I  sometimes get the stink eye when I ask to share a table.  

have seen this on Celebrity and is annoying as some do it during peak lunch time What are thy thinking? 

Ask a crew member to find table space.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

A common practice we too use. Grab where can and hold on to it.

Thank you

Hard to do when you're by yourself.

On one of my solo cruises, I ended up sitting out at a table by the Lido pool.  Sometimes too hot or too cold, and especially in the morning, there aren't always waiters circulating around with coffee and water refills.  Can be a long walk if you need to grab something from the buffet, and then come back to cold food. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We have cruised on over 65 different ships (of 16 cruise lines) and the problem with a shortage of Lido seating is an issue on nearly all the so-called mass market lines.  It becomes acute during sea days because there are many cruisers who simply sit in the Lido most of the day and use the tables to play games, socialize, etc.  As the OP mentioned, some cruise lines have tried to deal with this by putting small signs on the tables.  A few lines handle it by simply closing the Lido a few hours a day.  But on most lines, the staff are reluctant to ask folks to leave, so the problem persists.

Hank

I suppose reducing Lido seating (relative to passenger load) is just one more way the mass market lines “shave” the product to hold down fares. I do not recall the problem in cruises between 1990 and, perhaps, 2005 - when the popularity of cruising really started to take off - and 2,000+/- passenger ships were redesignated from “large” to “small”.

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I suppose reducing Lido seating (relative to passenger load) is just one more way the mass market lines “shave” the product to hold down fares. I do not recall the problem in cruises between 1990 and, perhaps, 2005 - when the popularity of cruising really started to take off - and 2,000+/- passenger ships were redesignated from “large” to “small”.

And let's not forget the ships that when refurbished had cabins added, but there was no extra passenger space.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Summit had extra cabins added a couple of times.

And that would obviously lead to there being more passengers without a commensurate addition to tables available in the buffet,

10 hours ago, WestCoast505 said:

The ship was Celebrity Eclipse doing an Alaska cruise.   

I wonder if people were hanging out extra long to enjoy the views.

We have been on several cruises.  I'm actually amazed that the count is at about 45.  The worst time we had finding a table at the buffet was during a Panama Canal cruise.   I think folks were staying put to enjoy the view of the transit.  For that cruise staff were assisting folks with finding shared tables.   Otherwise, we have shared tables a few times but typically have been able to find a table.   We have never needed to arrive early in order to find a place to sit -- that would be a downer for sure.   Fingers crossed that our luck holds for future cruises.   

Edited by ldubs

I hadn't ever noticed this 'hanging out forever' at the buffet, but once I heard about it, it's easy to spot these groups just lolling away, forever milling about, coming and going. And there's not a food item in sight.  Seems that it wouldn't be that difficult to come up with a procedure to get people to move off after their meal.  But people would scream 'unfair' and pitch fits, so no cruiseline will be the first to try to make some sense out of it all.  We've had no issues; if the place is crowded when we show up, we go do something else and come back in an hour.  At some point in our travelling lives, we've developed a dislike of sitting down to a 'formal meal', except for a few nice dinners on cruises.  We're not 'socializers' ... not unfriendly but little interest in inane chatting.  Much more enjoyable to pick up a few plates here and there at the buffet and call it lunch.  My idea of heaven is creating a great big salad to enjoy with delicious bread and butter, followed by a little plate of hot food.  Then dessert , of course!  So this 'no seats available at the buffet' topic is of great interest.  I'm sure the cruiselines will think of something that will meet everyone's needs.

Edited by jsn55
added thought
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, as people get more self absorbed, buffet table hogging is becoming more common. I have seen people playing cards or other games at buffet tables at peak times and while others are searching for tables on every one of my last several cruises. 

This is not limited to the mainstream lines as someone else suggested. This happens on every line. Fact. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2