The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday July 22nd, 2023

richwmn

Good morning all!

I would love to have a hammock, but probably would end up splat on the ground when it's time to get out of it...today will be a day of leisure compared to yesterday after 13 hours with the DGS -- but still will be a day of laundry and redoing my Grand Australia spreadsheet after all our itinerary changes.  When I hear spoonerisms I think of my dear DF -- he did a lot of them, mostly unintentional and quite funny!  I miss him.

The drink sounds yummy, and maybe the meal, but I don't have any saffron.  Maybe if someone else made it for me.  Haven't decided yet what will be for dinner tonight.  We may BBQ something. 

Have never been to this port, thank you Jacqui @kazu and Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser for the great photos!

Bon Voyage Debbie @dfish and Sue, Jake @Crazy For Cats and Juan, and Edi @NextOne!

Thank you for the lovely photos of your Iris Nancy @ottahand7.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

I did get clearance yesterday from my doctor to return to life. She said with caution and I still need to get another ultrasound. So I went to the driving range this AM. Have not swung a club in 3 months so figured I should start there. An hour later, I was hot and soaked to the skin! But happy to be back at it!

Wonderful news!  Go slow and don’t overdo, please.

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

We've got hazy skies again so that means there's smoke in the air, it just hasn't made it down to us yet.  The past few days we've experienced grey/blue skies that later in the afternoon bring in smoke throughout the city.   All the windows are open right now to let the cool morning air in, as we're looking at a high of +30 today, and that means the A/C will be turned on later in the afternoon.

Darn on the never ending smoke, Gerry 😔 

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

@kazu I just heard about the flooding in Halifax; it was the first story on the 8 o'clock CBC news.  Apparently there was over 200mm (nearly 8 inches) that fell in a 24 hour period - yikes!  Hoping everyone is safe, as there's concern about a dam failing.

It’s pretty serious, indeed.

We only got around 6” according to my water collectors.  Hopefully the streets that are flooded will dry up fast enough for me for Monday.  Have to get to the cruise port 😉 

edited to say - they think they now have the dam under control 🙏 but still evacuating.  Widespread damage across Nova Scotia.

12 minutes ago, dfish said:

We are onboard!!!

Yippee!  See you on Monday 🙂 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Good morning, Dailyites, and thank you to all for all the interesting news.  Much better than the newspaper!  This morning we have our Strata pancake breakfast, cooked up by the Board.  We have to take our own cishes and dutlery... I bought a lot of saffron when we visited Morocco, I still have some, I hope it doesn't go bad.  

I think my headache is gone!  I decided that I could take Robaxacet as it seems it was a muscle, and so that, plus heat and the exercises and stretches the physiotherapist gave me seem to have worked.  The next time it happens I know what to do!  Pat has been off the antibiotics for almost a week now, and seems to be okay, so I think he can come off the Cares List, @JazzyV, I'll let you know if he needs prayers again..  In the past the infection has come back within 3 or 4 days, so maybe they got it this time.  He still doesn't have mush energy, but says he plans to hit a bucket of balls next week, and prepare to go back to golf.

I have a very strange lily in my flower bed - I bought the bulb a couple of years ago, and it said "3 feet tall"  - the first summer it was about 4 feet and I figured as it got older it would shrink - this year it is 7 feet tall.  I don't know what is going to happen next year!

IMG_4075.thumb.jpeg.625c991bbeb809cf0d6c30affd3756bd.jpeg

IMG_4074.thumb.jpeg.4974276b4fb8d7241e4477972362a16c.jpeg

DD sent me this.

Screenshot2023-07-14at9_29_06PM.thumb.png.b07800b23721c37f4178bbc0184630a7.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Just now, Vict0riann said:

I think my headache is gone!  I decided that I could take Robaxacet as it seems it was a muscle, and so that, plus heat and the exercises and stretches the physiotherapist gave me seem to have worked.  The next time it happens I know what to do!  Pat has been off the antibiotics for almost a week now, and seems to be okay, so I think he can come off the Cares List,

That is SUCH great news! 🙂 

Just now, Vict0riann said:

I have a very strange lily in my flower bed - I bought the bulb a couple of years ago, and it said "3 feet tall"  - the first summer it was about 4 feet and I figured as it got older it would shrink - this year it is 7 feet tall.  I don't know what is going to happen next year!

They are called lily trees here.  They don’t grow to full height the first year.  The second year they usually do.  It should hold at 7 - 9’ in the future.  Mine are around 8 - 9’ and require staking as well.

They can be hard to grow at times.  Just watch out for the lily beetles.  They are the bane of my existence and it’s a fight.

Very pretty colour 👍 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful day here in MD!  Not quite so hot and not quite so sticky. Thought about kayaking but it’s still about at my limit of 85F. I have plenty else to do. 

Wonderful to hear Debbie and Sue are aboard!  @dfish 

Thanks to Tina @0106 for the recipes. I am more ready for vegan than DH although he survived my creativity during his cancer treatment. 

@smitty34877 you seem well prepared which helps you take things in stride. Impressive. @marshhawk the Williams book has “stayed with me” since my late 20s. Sometimes when life has gotten away from me I have to pull it back to those lessons.
Praying the path ahead unfolds successfully for both Chuck and Lou. I can’t resist saying I’m sending ”positive” thoughts for the proton treatment! 🤩.  

Blessings to all in need of healing, comfort or hope. 
Cheers to all celebrating 🥂 Life is Good! 
Three toots to our cruisers! Bon Voyage!  

@Vict0riann Ann, I keep my saffron in the fridge. I brought it home from Turkey years ago. 

Off to try to get some things done, and keep out of trouble.
m—

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good morning and Happy Saturday from a cloudy Tucson. It’s currently 97F. We had a storm last night which got the BDay boy out of the pool real fast once he heard the thunder. It started about 7:00 and we got some rain but not enough. Now the backyard and pool are a mess. 

Not sure if everyone read my post from last night so want to— Thank you all for the Birthday wishes for Craig. So very thoughtful and he was surprised since I hadn’t said anything. He wanted me to make sure to thank you all. 

Yesterday was spent with DM for an appointment, shopping and lunch. Not easy when it’s 105F but something that had to be done. I was beat when I got home. Taking her rolly thing in and out of the car in the heat multiple times isn’t fun.  But in the end this smile made it worth it. 
5D60D1CC-0A05-4277-9888-7AF14F70FCF0.thumb.jpeg.66a906a3111eb19a06289214deb724f9.jpeg

DGD Summer is here for the weekend. We will be celebrating her 16th birthday in August— how did that happen!?! Teenagers don’t seem as mature as my generation was though. I know she’s not ready to start driving. I drove everywhere at 16 and had my own car that same year and I had a job. 

Bon Voyage to @Crazy For Cats Jake & Juan, @dfish Debbie & sister Sue, @NextOne Edi!  Enjoy!  ⛴⛴⛴

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Good morning,

Thungs are not going well for Baby Murphy. She became septic and is back on ECMO. We are all devastated after the elation of the chest closure to within 24 hours near death. Thanks for all the prayers you have been sending. 

Oh dear!  Prayers have been said daily and today I’ll add extra. Plus to give the physicians guidance. 

• Like 19

18 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Good morning,

Thungs are not going well for Baby Murphy. She became septic and is back on ECMO. We are all devastated after the elation of the chest closure to within 24 hours near death. Thanks for all the prayers you have been sending. 

So sorry to hear this.Prayers  continue for Murphy and the whole family.

• Like 18

38 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Good morning,

Oh dear. Prayers,  blessings,  positive energy, warm healing thoughts for Baby Murphy. Please Lord,  save this precious child.

• Like 18

Whew. I got the mowing done, but am soaking wet. I'm drinking PowerAde and eating an Outshine strawberry popsicle to cool me down. Then I need to shower and get ready to go to BFF's.

4 hours ago, superoma said:

Good morning all. So much going on on the daily. I have been reading when I can but the last week has been busy. We had friends from Florida visiting the first half of the week. They are now wending their way to Connecticut, visiting Niagara Falls, Kingston, Ottawa and Montreal before spending august in CT. Then we had to visit the lawyer to sign final papers for my father’s house sale. That closed successfully yesterday and those proceeds will be distributed on Tuesday or Wednesday. It was bittersweet and really brought home the fact that he is gone. 

Eva, it's good to hear that everything with the sale of your Father's house went smoothly, but I'm sure it was also emotional.

2 hours ago, loveandpeas said:

Hey friends... well I've been back from Alaska a full week so I guess reality is settling in here. Time to book the next one maybe?

Welcome home and back to reality.

2 hours ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning from a sunny and warm day at the beach

I did get clearance yesterday from my doctor to return to life. She said with caution and I still need to get another ultrasound. So I went to the driving range this AM. Have not swung a club in 3 months so figured I should start there. An hour later, I was hot and soaked to the skin! But happy to be back at it!

Charlene      

Good news, but please take it slow and easy.

2 hours ago, dfish said:

We are onboard!!!

Woohoo! Have a great cruise!

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, Dailyites, and thank you to all for all the interesting news.  

I think my headache is gone!  I decided that I could take Robaxacet as it seems it was a muscle, and so that, plus heat and the exercises and stretches the physiotherapist gave me seem to have worked.  The next time it happens I know what to do!  Pat has been off the antibiotics for almost a week now, and seems to be okay, so I think he can come off the Cares List, @JazzyV, I'll let you know if he needs prayers again..  In the past the infection has come back within 3 or 4 days, so maybe they got it this time.  He still doesn't have mush energy, but says he plans to hit a bucket of balls next week, and prepare to go back to golf.

Good news that the headache is gone! And I'm glad to hear that Pat is doing well off antibiotics.

51 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Good morning,

Lorraine, I am so sorry to hear this news, after the recent positive news. Prayers for Baby Murphy will be doubled. 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

A roller coaster day today on the Fleet Report and Daily.  Great news from Debbie, Sue, and Ann/Pat and now renewed prayers for a very ominous post about Baby Murphy.  May this setback be resolved quickly.

Roy

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruising sister said:

Good morning,

That precious baby and your entire family are in my thoughts and prayers.

• Like 19

Good morning,

Prayers 🙏 for baby Murphy.

Please God help her.

Graham 

• Like 17

Good morning,

Lorraine, words cannot describe how much I hated to read you post about Baby Murphy.  She was doing so well.  I hope the doctors and nurses caught it in time, and that she will recover from this devastating set back.  Sending positive thoughts for a quick recovery, strength for her family, and for her medical team to do all that's necessary for Murphy to recover.

Lenda

• Like 20

Thank you for the pictures Jacqui @kazu    from when we were also with you on the Prinsendam in 2019 , BTW I loved seeing the picture of Jose being interviewed ! Ceuta is a much nicer and more convenient Port than we had ever expected , you just walked from the ship into the town which feels very European and is also in the EU . We did not want to take the chance to cross into Morocco which is not too hard but getting back into the EU could be a problem  on your own.

Thank you also Linda @Quartzsite Cruiser  for the very nice pictures from when you went across the border , being on a tour with HAL gave you enough security to get back into EU territory !

I will try not to duplicate with my pictures also from when we were there on the Nieuw Statendam for the second time in 2022 

image.thumb.jpeg.33a79eb4cb8c2f3176dc9ec136640fe3.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f0d90224c48dfa7eead23826fd777386.jpeg

It is a huge Fort just to protect the town and Spanish territory near the Strait of Gibraltar !

image.thumb.jpeg.c7080bcf1188f03e30b4fdb9064cab62.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.317d68422b9442ec548290b82d4b2095.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7ca904bc932797d4d0e77b989ff32bf0.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.99e4227ada734da3a2514801f5737466.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.75ee96dd9d830063c142d8069866a776.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d4c182bc46e5f07e70c59272d9ad5a30.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a34c7fee7a4ddd6169a699839e73d4c7.jpeg

Giving Hercules a hand ………

image.thumb.jpeg.981f41d511a4cc542de5078a988c4346.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7b13f306c1feaf33d54992789e12dbee.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9ef080e90f928971396f4ae68a3fb073.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9baa62f923c30de68bc265b4ac7515c4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e392ef945d08f90226b7e7e0a99826d6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.50848b76eb1ec2a1991a59179102a8c9.jpeg

Kids working on their " floats “ for the Semana Santa procession 

image.thumb.jpeg.2697d6d01381b5ea2094aeff1d5782bd.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ba229669895ff38fdbe73aca9a86c31a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f9c12a7984e7329a40c0bf996dad36f9.jpeg

And of coarse we had to get some Tapas 

image.thumb.jpeg.2c09101577eefb1a1d375d669cd72c04.jpeg

Oops must be an iPad picture but you can see the lovely fresh fish 

image.thumb.jpeg.9397f830a8f0c6da51e7ae3d934f3f27.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8fedb568c322bcd75a4d4effc74d3962.jpeg

The Elegant Explorer  ! .........tsk , tsk !

image.thumb.jpeg.2ac5c512b876e00b47bda077ab153c99.jpeg

Leaving the Port of Ceuta there is the smaller statue of Hercules 
What a lovely day we had in this Port that we had not expected at all 

image.thumb.jpeg.0164afb3e8efa800f1208ce7f260e7bc.jpeg

Will try to find some more but than from the Nieuw Statendam cruise 

Tony 😄
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1